Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 10:14 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by f16man
What were they asking for the Byron f16?????
$600......yeah, I thought he was over priced but he had a complete setup, engine, fan, + and it all looked quite new considering it's age.

I have two partially build kits both need some "TLC" And probably will never finish them.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:18 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
What did they want for the B-25 and the P-38? I'm green with envy!
Sorry I didn't ask!.......I have seen this guy and kits before at other meets and they were priced high (my opinion)
Old 01-21-2016, 10:27 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Sorry I didn't ask!.......I have seen this guy and kits before at other meets and they were priced high (my opinion)
Then there is no reason to doubt these two weren't overpriced too! I have noticed certain kits seem to have a tendency to be overpriced and the Royals fit the bill in a lot of cases. Some of these guys want to make a killing just because they think its rarer than it really is.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:28 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
Donny i have a royal b-25, 2 royal b-17's and an enlarged 150% royal b-17 i jjust picked up. plus numerous other royal kits, are those wankels first generation with the carb out front? or are these 2nd gen with carb and muffler being parallel over the rotor?
I have three wankels all first generation in the original boxes. They were more than adequate, I estimate they performed in the 30-40 size engine range, the low exhaust noise could make you think it didn't have the power but I found them to have more than enough power.

I didn't have any leakage either. no more than the normal 2 stroker.

The newer version of the wankel was too high for my pocket also. the originals cost me $65 each.

Next month we have another swap meet in Gardenridge TEX. Then Weatherford TX. Love them swapmeets.

Last edited by donnyman; 01-21-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 02:52 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Then there is no reason to doubt these two weren't overpriced too! I have noticed certain kits seem to have a tendency to be overpriced and the Royals fit the bill in a lot of cases. Some of these guys want to make a killing just because they think its rarer than it really is.
Same with Pico kits. Outrageously priced.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:13 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't know about you, but I just bagged a Brodak profile Oriental CL kit for $54 plus shipping from Brodak on sale. It has a 55" wingspan and 555 square inches wing area, for .35 - .40 sized engines. Got a Testors Series 21 McCoy .40 Black Head engine for it, woo hoo! This one won't need an FAA drone license.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:17 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
I don't know about you, but I just bagged a Brodak profile Oriental CL kit for $54 plus shipping from Brodak on sale. It has a 55" wingspan and 555 square inches wing area, for .35 - .40 sized engines. Got a Testors Series 21 McCoy .40 Black Head engine for it, woo hoo! This one won't need an FAA drone license.
G/G don't talk like that to loud you are flying in there air space I did the u/control till I was about 17/18 and and my last one had an O/R 60 and as I remember 80 foot lines, but that was a long time ago, and u/control $$ was interfering with the ladies. and now you have more info than you wanted

Cheers Bob T
Old 01-21-2016, 08:32 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by rt3232
G/G don't talk like that to loud you are flying in their air space I did the u/control till I was about 17/18 and and my last one had an O/R 60 and as I remember 80 foot lines, but that was a long time ago, and u/control $$ was interfering with the ladies. and now you have more info than you wanted Cheers Bob T
Bob, if the CL bug is begging to be bitten again, here's where to look:

http://brodak.com/

Here's the plane I bought, just sold out:

http://brodak.com/profile-oriental-kit.html

Here's a listing sorted by price. There are some 48" profile warbirds with 480 square inches wing area going for $58 about half way down:

http://brodak.com/control-line-kits....40&order=price

These are reminiscent of the old Midwest large CL warbird kits. My Oriental comes with all necessary hardware including lead out cables except wheels. With all the FAA hoopla, I'm thinking of spending more of my time flying CL.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	CLP-4_l.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	2142725  
Old 01-22-2016, 03:39 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

...With all the FAA hoopla, I'm thinking of spending more of my time flying CL.
For sure, for sure. Some of us never stopped flying CL.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:21 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Looks like Bridi kits are no longer being cut. All of them are out of stock on the bluebird site. and here I was considering getting one.
Old 01-22-2016, 10:53 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Yup, been like that for about a year now. My bud got the last UFO a little over a year ago. I tried to contact them since with no luck.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:15 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
Same with Pico kits. Outrageously priced.
As far as the prices are concerned I don't get too excited because It is normal for the price to be elevated. what I can't understand is most people wont make a counter offer, I always do. If I want it I will haggle to get it at a price I feel is comensurate to it's value and if refused, I walk away...no swet off my B---- It works well for me.
Old 01-22-2016, 11:57 AM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like Bridi kits are no longer being cut. All of them are out of stock on the bluebird site. and here I was considering getting one.
With a sharp knife and a stack of balsa you can cut your own:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	deleteme.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	2142823  
Old 01-22-2016, 12:01 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Funny you posted that. I just finished finding an online pdf file of the Super Kaos plans.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:23 PM
BrightGarden

We're living in good times...
Old 01-22-2016, 02:09 PM
rt3232

Bob, if the CL bug is begging to be bitten again, here's where to look:

http://brodak.com/

Here's the plane I bought, just sold out:

http://brodak.com/profile-oriental-kit.html

Here's a listing sorted by price. There are some 48" profile warbirds with 480 square inches wing area going for $58 about half way down:

http://brodak.com/control-line-kits....40&order=price

These are reminiscent of the old Midwest large CL warbird kits. My Oriental comes with all necessary hardware including lead out cables except wheels. With all the FAA hoopla, I'm thinking of spending more of my time flying CL.
G/G I have a med/condition called ( Menieres deisease ) it effects your balance so C/L is out of the question for me. when I fly my R/C stuff I have several buddies the come out to the fyling line and stand behind me to make sure I don't lose it, so far all has been good but when it get to bad will have to give up R/C too It's just the way it is

Cheers Bob T
Old 01-23-2016, 08:18 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
With a sharp knife and a stack of balsa you can cut your own:

You got that right! I have a massive downloaded file of almost every model I have ever wanted from that site and others and can build from them at a greatly reduced cost so I usually cut two at a time. When I was a teenager I could not afford this bird now I can build it close to the cost of the kit If one could be found.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sabre_Stunt_2_pages.pdf (1.60 MB, 43 views)
Old 01-23-2016, 08:35 AM
BrightGarden

You got that right! I have a massive downloaded file of almost every model I have ever wanted from that site and others and can build from them at a greatly reduced cost so I usually cut two at a time. When I was a teenager I could not afford this bird now I can build it close to the cost of the kit If one could be found.
That's a beauty with all those details. Plus it shows you how to fly it!
I wish all I had to do all day was build and fly these.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:30 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by BrightGarden
That's a beauty with all those details. Plus it shows you how to fly it!
I wish all I had to do all day was build and fly these.

Me Too! and I am retired.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:48 AM
brner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As most of us old farts have found out....retiring doesn't mean we gonna have time on our hands....
Old 01-23-2016, 07:34 PM
rt3232

Originally Posted by brner
As most of us old farts have found out....retiring doesn't mean we gonna have time on our hands....
I have tried it 3 times and I last about 6 months and find I am board. Then I try to do some volunteer work and then a job comes along , I end up going back to work but only a max of 6hr days and only 24 hrs per week and early morinings, as that gives me time for the yard and to build or go fly.
It also pays for my stuff
Old 01-24-2016, 07:37 AM
Bob Jablonski

I contacted them (after numerous trys) about carrying there kits in my shop. They wouldn't sell to dealers now it looks like to any one else.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
[email protected]
www.countylinehobbies.com
Like us on Facebook
Old 01-24-2016, 10:55 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey guys, I'm unfamiliar with Bluebird. Got a link?
Old 01-24-2016, 11:54 AM
GallopingGhostler

G/G I have a med/condition called ( Menieres deisease ) it effects your balance so C/L is out of the question for me. when I fly my R/C stuff I have several buddies the come out to the fyling line and stand behind me to make sure I don't lose it, so far all has been good but when it get to bad will have to give up R/C too. It's just the way it is. Cheers Bob T
Bob, sorry to hear that. You're right, need to live within limitations. With government dabbling in our hobby, if it gets any heavier, I may just go exclusively to CL and FF rubber.

Thanks, Donny, I downloaded the F-86 Sabre CL, would make a good profile stunt model.

Originally Posted by brner
Me Too! and I am retired.
I have tried it 3 times and I last about 6 months and find I am board. Then I try to do some volunteer work and then a job comes along , I end up going back to work but only a max of 6hr days and only 24 hrs per week and early morinings, as that gives me time for the yard and to build or go fly.
It also pays for my stuff
There are always things to do, spent much of my time on volunteer stuff.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:54 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

[/QUOTE]

That was disappointing I looked through this list and looked at the Super Sportster 90/120 so when I tried to down lode the PDF I got a dialog box (this program is not repairable Local\EWH-5036-0) . It looks like an airplane I might like build. It is just the same size and weight as my Yellow Birds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.