Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 05:53 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by rickman2k
sign me up on the Old timers, 52 here My first was a rubber band Gullows SE5A back in the 4th grade, was 9. My 1st motor job was a Cox .049 Corsair control line, then my first RC was a Cadet
Hello rickman2k....I hope your Cox corsair flew better than mine.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:01 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by spaceworm
I use/have used outer Nyrod with a music wire inner rod, long before the ARFs started doing it. Just sayin'.
That's how I use it too but it still needs to be kept from flexing. only on throttle.

I have recently started using the pull pull system, for my flight surfaces, it seems to have less slop but is more difficult to set up.
Old 01-30-2016, 06:17 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by f16man
You are dabbiling into different territory now for me , I have seen an electric powered Byron f16 and was very impressed with the performance but when he told me how much mula for a motor and batteries and esc,that could run the 6 inch diameter byrofan, I could run my rossi 81 and fuel for 10 years, at 25 mph slower, turbine power is cool , and the airframe will need to be beefed up as in more formers , carbon fiber , glass the wings, much more fuel. That will bring the plane up 20lbs at least and would change its character let alone the cost involved, but the power is crazy fun.
The fan technology of today is so much better but not much more expensive than a good fuel set up. and so much more cleaner.

Turbine.. well ya gotta just love em! You bring up a subject "beefing up for a turbine" I haven't found that to be true, as turbines do not produce the vibration of a fuel bird, almost none in comparison, now aerodynamicly is were you have to be careful especially if you expect high speeds, air passing thru a airframe is best carefully directed as to not increase pressure internally or it will blew your bird apart, this I have witnessed. now fuel consumption is another matter, a problem I am addressing in my twin turbine f-14. ya gotta give to get!
Old 01-31-2016, 09:25 AM
f16man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donnyman
The fan technology of today is so much better but not much more expensive than a good fuel set up. and so much more cleaner.

Turbine.. well ya gotta just love em! You bring up a subject "beefing up for a turbine" I haven't found that to be true, as turbines do not produce the vibration of a fuel bird, almost none in comparison, now aerodynamicly is were you have to be careful especially if you expect high speeds, air passing thru a airframe is best carefully directed as to not increase pressure internally or it will blew your bird apart, this I have witnessed. now fuel consumption is another matter, a problem I am addressing in my twin turbine f-14. ya gotta give to get!
Yes sir , the Byron f16 was never ment for tat kind of speed or thrust without some reinforcement and covering up the cheeter hole................................
Old 01-31-2016, 01:40 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never tried jets but thinking about building a electric one before i take a dirt nap . lol Seen a Byron F16 at a estate sale all put together but i was not into causing myself drama that day . joe
Old 01-31-2016, 05:04 PM
f16man

No drama man out of all the ducted fan jets from Byron it was a ***** cat to fly and land like a big low wing warbird ,,,, cake walk , no bad habits
Old 02-01-2016, 06:13 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Got my Brodak Profile Oriental kit in yesterday. It is a beauty, nice premium wood, hardware, even an Oriental retro decals to go with it. 55 inches of 555 sq. inches wing area.
I always thought decals really dress up a plane.
Old 02-03-2016, 06:55 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was looking at some C/L stuff and went to a link for HIP POKIT and off to the side was a schematic for a Fataba 27Mh receiver. I tried to click on it but I wasn't loged in and it was lost. So I spent some time to get all registered but now I can't find any thing like that at all. That got to wonder dose anyone know of a source of plans for the old 27Mh kits. I built Control Air and Kraft kits and they worked so good . I wonder I if had plans I tried if I could build those from scratch. I still have my 10 channel Control Air transmitter and if I could get the info may be I could build a Mule transmitter. It might be fun to try.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:40 AM
rt3232

Good morning Joe

If you have all most any electronic soldering experience you could do it. But if you are planning to use it there used to be so much other stuff/noise using 27 it was hard to get good clean reception.
That said if you have a Ham Operator or club close by, you could have them check the freq to see if it would be useable. Most of my experience with 27 was back in the early 60"s.

also finding all of the bits might be a problem as even hear in MPLS/STPAUL we only have a coupla of retail out lets

And then you will need the equipment to get it tuned nice and clean/sharp. But if one would work for you I say have at it.

Cheers Bob T
Old 02-04-2016, 08:29 AM
Joe Fisher

What I am hoping for is some one has the instructions that came with those kits. They had a clear drawing of the PC board also the drawing of the component placement and schematic of the circuit and component list. I have a Halicrafters receiver and when I tune through the 27Mh band there is no activity at all.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:30 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
What I am hoping for is some one has the instructions that came with those kits. They had a clear drawing of the PC board also the drawing of the component placement and schematic of the circuit and component list. I have a Halicrafters receiver and when I tune through the 27Mh band there is no activity at all.
Hey Joe

I think I have the Heathkit construction manuals and some other stuff I saved thru the years, If you have a interest I will try to rustle it up and get you copies.

I really miss the electronic kits of the past,....lotsa fun!
Old 02-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Joe Fisher

Hi Donny, I would like to see that stuff. I don't think I have seen Heath Kit stuff. The Control Air and Kraft were super regen receivers. 5 transistors on a 1.5"X 2" P/C board. The instructions were on a 9"X 11" sheet. The kits came in a little plastic bag. The hard part might be the tuning coil. My son was at auction and bought me a dual trace sinkra scope like 20 years ago I should think of some thing to use it for.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:00 AM
donnyman

Hi Donny, I would like to see that stuff. I don't think I have seen Heath Kit stuff. The Control Air and Kraft were super regen receivers. 5 transistors on a 1.5"X 2" P/C board. The instructions were on a 9"X 11" sheet. The kits came in a little plastic bag. The hard part might be the tuning coil. My son was at auction and bought me a dual trace sinkra scope like 20 years ago I should think of some thing to use it for.
OK I will start digging, if you understand wiring diagrams the Heathkit books may bore you. they are of the ..how to put this kit together for idiots (like me) with pictures.

I just left my shop and am a little disappointed, I did not find the r/c radio instructions from Heathkit, I may have sold it with the radio's but here is some other stuff. There is so much stuff in my files it mayl take some time to dig it all up but I will be looking.

Check these pics and let me know if your interested in what I have found so far I really can't use it.

The television set was a real winner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0362.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	2145813   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0363.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	2145817   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0364.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2145818   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0365.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	2145819   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0366.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2145820  
Old 02-07-2016, 11:38 AM
Joe Fisher

Hi Donny, That stuff is really neat. Thank you. The 8 channel with the Medco reed bank and the 4 IF cans looks just like I remember my Control air 10 channel. I didn't know there were 10 channel soft tube receivers. One of my menemerys of the 10 channel is the 6 button cell nicads in series. I didn't trust the triple pole on off switch so I would just plug in the battery pack and put the wing on and fly some times it would be that way for 3 hours and I never had a problem. Now I have a digital volt meter and I am constantly checking battery voltage. I hate these stupid nimcells they will last several flying sessions and the next time they will be down first flight after charge they don't make sense and all I can do is constantly check voltage before each flight.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:03 PM
donnyman

Joe

I have this info and can't use it. if you want it you need to say so or I will dispose of it.
House cleaning is the order of the day I am too old to get involved with a bunch of new projects I have more than I could complete in the works now.
send me your address in a PM and I will pack it up and send to ya!
Old 02-07-2016, 02:10 PM
Joe Fisher

No thanks Donny you don't need to do that I do appreciate your the effort .
Old 02-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Russell_C
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Donny, all this Heathkit talk reminded me that our first color TV was one my Dad put together from a Heathkit. He also did a Heathkit shortwave receiver for me when I was kid. They must have really been a force in the do-it-yourself electronics market back then.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:08 AM
donnyman

No thanks Donny you don't need to do that I do appreciate your the effort .
OK!
Old 02-08-2016, 06:20 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Russell_C
Donny, all this Heathkit talk reminded me that our first color TV was one my Dad put together from a Heathkit. He also did a Heathkit shortwave receiver for me when I was kid. They must have really been a force in the do-it-yourself electronics market back then.
Yes Heathkit was really a wonderful company that permitted one to build first rate electronics with no more skills than knowing how to solder and the kits showed the proper soldering method also. All components were Identified and described, with graphics showing positions and alignments.

I built several because it was cheaper and fascinatng to assemble align and operate. The company went out of business before I could get the TV but a few of the people I knew that assembled them really liked them.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:46 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

I used to love building Heathkit stuff with my dad. The last project was a high end stereo system we built around '76. I learned quite a bit about electronics by working with him building them. A guy he worked with was building a Heathkit 6 channel radio the following year. It was a copy of a popular brand 6 channel you could buy off the shelf at the time. If I recall it was the same as either the Kraft or Ekological. I can't quite picture it in my mind anymore to be sure which. He never got to complete it however as he was killed at work in a Twin Huey crash out at the range.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:53 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Sorry to hear about the death of an acquaintance, Super08. I love electronics and circuit building, at the time the Heaths were out of my budget for a high school student, then joined Uncle Sam's scouting club for a couple years. After, in college in the late 1970's, Charlie's R/C, business run by Bill Cannon's wife, was selling his model 810 4 channel mini R/C as a kit. I got one for a price cheaper than the Heaths, assembled and got it successfully working while in college. Still got the outfit, may one of these days buy the Hobby King 2.4 GHz transmitter deck kit with receiver and convert that set.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:04 AM
donnyman

The Heathkit was a real big deal for me, If not for Heathkit My royal B-25 would never have flown. I built the two stick 5 channel set up and it worked flawlessly until one of my batteries died.

When it comes to electronics my understanding is in the basement, but I am none the less fascinated by it.

GEORGE I have a bunch of 27mhz equipt. Disposing of it is really getting me down because it is functional. you mentioned a transmitter 2.4 deck?? are you saying it may be possible to retrieve these old radios with some off the shelf modificaions

I have wanted to use these sets for something other than putting them in the trash. Any ideas you have would be helpful.

pleaseTell me more.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:30 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Super08
I used to love building Heathkit stuff with my dad. The last project was a high end stereo system we built around '76. I learned quite a bit about electronics by working with him building them. A guy he worked with was building a Heathkit 6 channel radio the following year. It was a copy of a popular brand 6 channel you could buy off the shelf at the time. If I recall it was the same as either the Kraft or Ekological. I can't quite picture it in my mind anymore to be sure which. He never got to complete it however as he was killed at work in a Twin Huey crash out at the range.
The Heathkit radios were designed by Kraft for Heathkit.

My first RC radio was an old Heathkit 3 channel dual stick I bought on close out at the Denver CO. Heathkit store. The new single stick 3 and 4 channel Heathkit transmitters were out at that time. It had KPS-9 servos with arms and linear outputs, the store hooked me up with a third servo too. The KPS-9 servos were huge compared to the KPS-10 that replaced them. I assembled the kit as my project for a high school electronic class and received an "A". Another student bought and assembled the new single stick transmitter set. It was nice but I preferred the feel of the older two stick transmitter. I think the single stick was an attempt to design a transmitter that was a compromise so it could be used by both aircraft and surface craft. From Heathkit's stand point it made sense but I would think it would be hard to transition to a dual stick 5 or more channel radio in the future.
Old 02-09-2016, 08:39 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joebahl
I never tried jets but thinking about building a electric one before i take a dirt nap . lol Seen a Byron F16 at a estate sale all put together but i was not into causing myself drama that day . joe
I've flown EDF but I've been thinking about and researching turbine trainers.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:26 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
...me down because it is functional. you mentioned a transmitter 2.4 deck?? are you saying it may be possible to retrieve these old radios with some off the shelf modificaions...\....
Here on RCU there is a thread about converting old transmitters to 2.4 GHz. I have to get off my email so my "timeshare" partner (my wife) can us it for important stuff like farcebook. I will try to search for and post results of any results. good luck.

BTW I have a full Heath GD-19 set including the assembly manuals (somewhere) FWIW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.