Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 03-16-2016, 11:15 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm finding that there are now lots of ads between many of the posts on this thread. Some urge me to support Hilary Clinton, some urge me to oppose her and another uses the image of a French rugby player to encourage me buy a French Renault car, despite the French having lost to the Scots last weekend and looking all set to lose handsomely to the English in Paris next Saturday!

How do I get rid of them?
Old 03-16-2016, 01:16 PM
brner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=........How do I get rid of them?[/QUOTE]

Depends on what browser you're using....I use FireFox, installed "UblockOrigin" from their site and no more ads in the posts......
Old 03-16-2016, 04:25 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Adblock plus works for me.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:03 PM
dragonsbreath1

Manor Tx., are you kidding me!!!. I grew up in Austin in the 60's. Back then Manor didn't even have a stop light, just a stop sign. I used to hunt rabbits out there. I am an old Hippie Child from back then. Went to John H. Regan High school in the mid 60's. Best time I ever had. Didn't get into the RC scene until the early 70's when Dad moved us to Colo. Back then Futaba was King, I had a 4 channel. Pretty much built and destroyed everything I could put the servos in, and I mean everything. A Cox 049 was the engine of the times. I could talk for hours and days of the crap I used to do back then.

Dave
970-631-8884
Old 03-17-2016, 04:47 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by dragonsbreath1
Manor Tx., are you kidding me!!!. I grew up in Austin in the 60's. Back then Manor didn't even have a stop light, just a stop sign. I used to hunt rabbits out there. I am an old Hippie Child from back then. Went to John H. Regan High school in the mid 60's. Best time I ever had. Didn't get into the RC scene until the early 70's when Dad moved us to Colo. Back then Futaba was King, I had a 4 channel. Pretty much built and destroyed everything I could put the servos in, and I mean everything. A Cox 049 was the engine of the times. I could talk for hours and days of the crap I used to do back then.

Dave
970-631-8884
Manor ain't the Manor you remember, the stop sign is long gone, the 290 cafe remains, ( I am haveing a flashback) I remember when I first entered Manor, HWY 290 was almost brand new and one could see to the horizon looking northward. since then we have over nine new housing areas and 18 hole golf course and the tiny airport now accepts large learjets. Walmart,autozone ,advance auto Mr. Gattis, sonic drivein, Mc Donalds, Taco bell, and Starbucks to name a few, and Reagn High School marks the beginning of the toll road that gets you to manor. Depending on how long you have been away, one could get lost trying to get to manor. Oh yeah.... I can still hunt rabbits and chase Coyotes. But not for long.

DONNY
512-272-5410
Old 03-19-2016, 11:54 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The grand kids were on spring break. Thursday we brought them here. The weather was so nice warn and almost no wind. We flew the Ringmaster and I flew the Flite Streek. We flew the glider and I flew Yellow Bird. I would swing Karlee and pretty much wore my self out. Yesterday it was cold and windy so we watched Disney a lot. Today seems like a Monday.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:46 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

They did lose to England, 21-31 in Paris.

I haven't found the time to get rid of the adverts yet, been too busy finishing off two models and generally keeping myself busy. Watch this space!
Old 03-23-2016, 04:37 AM
donnyman

The past two weekends I spent attending events at the field. a jet rally which produced some monster planes (all arfs) but some cool flying.

The following week a pattern contest, something I haven't had the pleasure of attending for more years than I can remember, It was hosted by the georgetown TX. club and was a very pleasant change of pace, I spent most of the day watching with several friends that intend to get involved in pattern flying so I asssisted a friend with his flying technique when the contest was over.

I spent some time talking with Mark Hunt about his pattern design (pentathalon evolution) I found it a attractive smooth flying bird. he has a web sight www.insightrc.com (281 352 4806) he produces short kits.

I am still fighting with my teeth and woke up this morning tasting pus so it's back to the dentist for me. but it is feeling much better.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:26 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

I have toyed with the idea of a pattern plane but I am leaning toward the old time pattern planes like the Dirty Birdy. Smaller a heck of a lot less expensive and just as much fun to fly.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:06 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Donnyman. glad to hear you are getting better with your teeth problem. i flew patteren some past years ago. at that time i thought it was hard & chalanging. 2 years ago i flew a friend of mine pattern plane. what a difference a few years in developeing your flying skills can make, i thought i was flying a trainer aircraft.
on another subject. whoopie do de do i finally got around to finishing my dynaflite super decathlon right wing except for the aileron. i can build the left wing in 1/3 the time now that i have unraveled all the idiosynchronies of the instruction book & plans. my wife's recent passing has slowed me down on building but now i am ready tto get back with it.p.s i am fighting hearing aid purchase problems. trying different ones. so far they all sound tinny like talking thru a piece of wax paper or a tin can. working with a hospital audiologist now.

good luck with your teeth. trainemaster80
Old 03-24-2016, 04:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have been wearing Hearing Aids since 2004 they take time to get use to them. I prefer the in the canal type over the behind the ear which seem the most popular right now. The trick is to put them in when you get up and leave them in (except in the shower) until you go to bed. It will take about 2 to 3 weeks before you get to the point you forget you have them in. Keep Q tips on hand and clean your ears out at least once or twice a day. The only thing that really bugs me now is when a stray hair gets in between the aid and the ear canal, I start to itch.

Mike
Old 03-24-2016, 08:37 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike
You old geezer hearing aids for only 12 years been there for 25 + and now all most deef in the right ear so with luck will be getting a cokular inplant in a few weeks and with luck will get 80% of my hearing back in my right ear and they Doc's tell me it will be a whole new learning experience. I also have only had the in the ear type aids and the itch thingy but the new one will have the bob hanging on the ear
Well you guys don't need to know any more about me back to birds , airplanes

Cheers Bob Ter
Old 03-24-2016, 09:02 AM
trainermaster80

flyerinoak&rt3232, thanks for your reply about hearing aids. i am on my 3RD one. with me it's not the wearing it's finding one that is not tiney or raspy sounding like folks are talking thru a piece of wax paper or a tin can. like we did with a comb & wax paper when we were kids. i am now at the hospital audiolgist for a behind the ear job which he needs to corect the afore mentioned problems i have,
back to model planes well whoop de do i just finished the construction of my right wing on my dynaflite super decathlon. except the aileron. previously finished the tail feathers but my wife's recent passing has put off building until now.
hope you guys have a new project to fly in 2016.
the decathlon is a good flyer but the kit plans & instruction book are the worst & most confusing i have ever seen in my 87 years. built my 1ST rc @ 10 yrs of age.
keep em flying frankie trainermaster80
Old 03-24-2016, 09:07 AM
trainermaster80

hello rt3232 bob ter,
i pray for success with your implant. i too may need one some day. i would be interested in how you fare with your. good luck frankie trainermaster80
Old 03-25-2016, 08:54 AM
donnyman

Hello GUYS!

My mouth is feeling a bit better I got food in that hole in my jaw and it caused a dry pocket. my dentiast cleaned it out and packed it with some bad tasting goop that seems to be doing what it should.

FLYER

I keep a 40 size kaos as my mainstay bird and have others in various stages of completion and styles, I am looking forward to completeing a 71" A.J. Slick from 3d Hobbies I need to get familiar with electric motor setups before it will fly. a superduper big splash stunter isn't necessary to have a good time flying pattern that's for sure.

As far as hearing aids go my left ears isn't as good as it used to be but I don't think I need a aid YET! working with jets in the A.F. did a bit of damage and these two strokers didn't help either.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:45 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
hello rt3232 bob ter,
i pray for success with your implant. i too may need one some day. i would be interested in how you fare with your. good luck frankie trainermaster80
Will do, and wont know for sure as all authorizations $$ have to be approved in advance, did get the MRI/CTC what ever thingy the section from just above you chin and below tour eye sockets, it took about 5 min. The tech just said it looked great but nothing between my ears but little airplaines

Cheers Bob T
Old 03-28-2016, 05:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by rt3232
The tech just said it looked great but nothing between my ears but little airplaines

Cheers Bob T
At least he didn't say you were empty headed!
Old 03-28-2016, 05:58 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
At least he didn't say you were empty headed!
I recently had a brain MRI and they said there was nothing there! Did not surprise my wife at all!!
Very best regards for good health and happy spring to all.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-03-2016, 09:09 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I was eating an apple the other day when a filling and half a tooth fell out! I'm not in pain and have tried approaching a couple of French dentists but they're busy until May. No matter I will be going "home" to England in mid-April to pick up the last of my models and my motorcycle. I will also be seeing my cousin who is also my dentist for some dental treatment. Even at "family rates" it won't be cheap!

I just hope this non-pain situation continues for the next few weeks. I don't fancy driving my old two-tonne van with a raging toothache for 850 miles (1368 kilometres.)

Pictures of my two winter builds to follow. I've just discovered the aspect of aeromodelling I like least: hinging the control surfaces! I hope to maiden both of them on Wednesday.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:10 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Here I go with my first post in this thread.
Observation #1.
I turned 50 last year and I am slowly turning into the curmudgeonly geezer my Dad was. I never understood why the Geezers of 20+ years ago looked down their noses at my ARF's. I can hear dear Ol' Dad speak when I tell people I would never own a foam ready-to-fly airplane. Where is the pride of ownership? Electric? You gotta be kidding me. Real airplanes run on fuel and make lots of noise. I'm perfectly content with my CG Chipmunk chugging 15% nitro flying on one of the 18 72Mhz receivers I own. Why change? I'm the last 72Mhz Mohican at my field and I like it that way!

Observation #2. I know why Geezers like large planes. I took my 10-20 eyesight for granted until it was no longer 10-20. Heck, I'd settle for 20-20 with glasses. It's getting harder to see the orientation of my smaller planes. I told my wife recently I would not buy anything new under 80" so her half of the garage was in jeopardy. That did not go over as well as I had hoped!
Old 04-04-2016, 06:37 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome Warhwk. Yea that eye stuff is the pits cateracs and glaucoma. And you have to see better to fly R/C than for real. Here in Kansas the wind blows all day until just before sun set then I can just barely see the airplane.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:39 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

72MHz FOREVER!!!!! Enya, Fox, ST & OS too (and all the others).
Old 04-05-2016, 08:53 AM
donnyman

T. SALES UK

Best of luck with that tooth I am just beginning to get back to normal with this hole in my jaw. it's good to be able to use both sides to chew.

What problems do you have with hinging? I hope you do not use CA hinges!
Old 04-05-2016, 09:06 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
72MHz FOREVER!!!!! Enya, Fox, ST & OS too (and all the others).
I'll second that emotion. All my 72 stuff is working fine so why give it up? and my two strokers are running strong.

A new monster BGX engine was up for sale at the clubs cubs and cousins air show at a gimme price but when I thought of the fuel consumption I declined, that thing could consume a gallon of two stroke fuel in two flights.

I was surprised to find how popular Piper cubs and the type are, we even had a snoopy and red baron shoot out...lots of fun! and a fantastic flying day weather wise.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:17 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by warhwk
Here I go with my first post in this thread.
Observation #1.
I turned 50 last year and I am slowly turning into the curmudgeonly geezer my Dad was. I never understood why the Geezers of 20+ years ago looked down their noses at my ARF's. I can hear dear Ol' Dad speak when I tell people I would never own a foam ready-to-fly airplane. Where is the pride of ownership? Electric? You gotta be kidding me. Real airplanes run on fuel and make lots of noise. I'm perfectly content with my CG Chipmunk chugging 15% nitro flying on one of the 18 72Mhz receivers I own. Why change? I'm the last 72Mhz Mohican at my field and I like it that way!

Observation #2. I know why Geezers like large planes. I took my 10-20 eyesight for granted until it was no longer 10-20. Heck, I'd settle for 20-20 with glasses. It's getting harder to see the orientation of my smaller planes. I told my wife recently I would not buy anything new under 80" so her half of the garage was in jeopardy. That did not go over as well as I had hoped!
welcome WARHWK

There is plenty of room for another ...I build em big to so I can see um club.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.