Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 01:15 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warhwk
Here I go with my first post in this thread.

Observation #2. I know why Geezers like large planes. I took my 10-20 eyesight for granted until it was no longer 10-20. Heck, I'd settle for 20-20 with glasses. It's getting harder to see the orientation of my smaller planes. I told my wife recently I would not buy anything new under 80" so her half of the garage was in jeopardy. That did not go over as well as I had hoped!
Glad to have you on our side ( old that is ) you can all ways clean out every thing you have not used in the last year to make room for your birds, or make piece with the boss and just hang them over her car , just make sure they don't drip any thing, made that mistake years back and it coast me a new car.

Cheers
bob T
Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

SLEC Fun Fly. 54" (1372mm) wingspan. OS 40 FP up front. Just Engines Super Quiet Silencer, I hate noisy engines! Plan to maiden this and the Gemini later today.

The Gemini is a copy of the first r/c model I ever built; it was not a success in 1988 owing to an inexperienced pilot! The modern manifestation is powered by an electric motor retrieved from a couple of electric foamies. Same goes for the servos and the undercarriage. The original had a tricycle under carriage but there was insufficient space in the nose to allow for both the motor and the nose leg.

Wish me luck!
Old 04-06-2016, 01:47 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Anyone here have an idea for an in the cowl muffler for a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro or an OS Max .46? I want to use this engine on a VK DR1 and the stock muffler just doesn't cut it.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:05 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A new monster BGX engine was up for sale at the clubs cubs and cousins air show at a gimme price but when I thought of the fuel consumption I declined, that thing could consume a gallon of two stroke fuel in two flights.

I just got into large two-strokes myself. A Moki 2.1 on an 80" Edge. I got 8 eight minute flights out of the first gallon. Not nearly as bad as I feared. Besides, 5% nitro is a lot less expensive than 15%
Old 04-06-2016, 04:11 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Yeah, have a 14' Rascal on order, should have no problem seeing that one.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:21 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

The Gemini is a copy of the first r/c model I ever built; it was not a success in 1988 owing to an inexperienced pilot! The modern manifestation is powered by an electric motor retrieved from a couple of electric foamies. Same goes for the servos and the undercarriage. The original had a tricycle under carriage but there was insufficient space in the nose to allow for both the motor and the nose leg.

Wish me luck!

Good Luck!!
Old 04-06-2016, 06:34 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Anyone here have an idea for an in the cowl muffler for a Thunder Tiger .46 Pro or an OS Max .46? I want to use this engine on a VK DR1 and the stock muffler just doesn't cut it.
If a Pitts style will do, I'd suggest this one from Tower Hobbies - made for OS .40 and up.
Bisson Pitts Muffler O.S. 40SF/46AX/50SX/55AX
$39.95

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LX8680&P=ML
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	muffler-lbisg4046.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	2156227  
Old 04-07-2016, 04:56 AM
bikerbc

I like the colour of your Gemini , how does it show up in the sky ? I have the 110 Rascal and am betting the 14ft. one will be fun as long as field prep isn't too bad .When is it expected ? I wonder if a G62 would fly it ? I have a spare one of those kicking around . You will probably need a full size pickup or a trailer to transport it . I have a 12 ft. Cub on floats and it just fits into my truck . What's that thing that looks like a padlock just behind the canopy on your Slec Fun Fly ?
Old 04-07-2016, 05:38 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Hi Biker BC!

I regret that the weather has been a bit too windy to permit test flying so I can't answer your question about how the Gemini looks in the air. It is covered overall in Fluorescent Yellow Solarfilm.

As for the "padlock" that's simply a piece of ply with a small hole drilled in it and a screw which holds down the rear of the canopy to the fuselage. I found it very difficult to understand the instructions relating to canopy so I've secured the front with two magnets and have used some velcro midships too. It should stay in place.

Judging by your handle, you are a motorcyclist. This is mine.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...int%20ST_1.jpg
Old 04-07-2016, 05:59 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by warhwk
A new monster BGX engine was up for sale at the clubs cubs and cousins air show at a gimme price but when I thought of the fuel consumption I declined, that thing could consume a gallon of two stroke fuel in two flights.

I just got into large two-strokes myself. A Moki 2.1 on an 80" Edge. I got 8 eight minute flights out of the first gallon. Not nearly as bad as I feared. Besides, 5% nitro is a lot less expensive than 15%
Eight minutes? That's a lot of fuel for eight minutes. I'll try to stay with my 60 size two strokers and use gasoline engines for something larger 5% nitro in this area is hard to get for some some weird reason. most folks here fly electric with exceptions like myself, I like the sound of fuel burning when I advance the throttle.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:41 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Hi Biker BC!

I regret that the weather has been a bit too windy to permit test flying so I can't answer your question about how the Gemini looks in the air. It is covered overall in Fluorescent Yellow Solarfilm.

As for the "padlock" that's simply a piece of ply with a small hole drilled in it and a screw which holds down the rear of the canopy to the fuselage. I found it very difficult to understand the instructions relating to canopy so I've secured the front with two magnets and have used some velcro midships too. It should stay in place.

Judging by your handle, you are a motorcyclist. This is mine.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...int%20ST_1.jpg
I as well...

Old 04-07-2016, 10:16 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by bikerbc
I have the 110 Rascal and am betting the 14ft. one will be fun as long as field prep isn't too bad .When is it expected ? I wonder if a G62 would fly it ? I have a spare one of those kicking around . You will probably need a full size pickup or a trailer to transport it . I have a 12 ft. Cub on floats and it just fits into my truck .

They designed the new 168 to be able to fit in a minivan. The tail is removable so all you have is that skinny part of the fuse to slip between seats, or through the rear window of the cab, which in my case, I have a topper, so should be easy. The center wing is 6', and that could be a challenge with my 5'5" bed. The G62 should fly it perfectly, I am looking to use an FG-57 Twin, which is a gas Saito 4 stroke. With the two servos in the outer wing, two servos in the center wing, that would be the only connections, but I am not sure how the outer wing panels attach to the center. I doubt it would take very long to setup, maybe 10 minutes. All depends on what you have to set it up on. I most likely will trailer it with the rest of my planes when I do a full day of flying, so will have a table with me, and on those days I truck it, I can use a run up stand, though will probably need to bring a screw drill and screws to extend the tail end of the stand.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Donny, I didn't like to fly the biplane with the Super tigre 2300 because of the $20+ / gallon fuel. Now I buy $3/gallon methanol I get at a local drag strip. I mix in 10% castor oil. I mix 10% castor oil and 10% synthetic 2 cycle oil for the Satio FA-100, the OS .25 and the K/B .28. I mix 30% castor oil for the Fox .35 and Torpedo .19. I don't miss the nitro at all.
Old 04-07-2016, 11:58 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Hi Donny, I didn't like to fly the biplane with the Super tigre 2300 because of the $20+ / gallon fuel. Now I buy $3/gallon methanol I get at a local drag strip. I mix in 10% castor oil. I mix 10% castor oil and 10% synthetic 2 cycle oil for the Satio FA-100, the OS .25 and the K/B .28. I mix 30% castor oil for the Fox .35 and Torpedo .19. I don't miss the nitro at all.
That's the Way to go! I have introduced some fellow flyers to FAI fuel ( no nitro) and several can't tell the difference. Those that insist on 15-20+ nitro can't understand why their engines quit on takeoff and don't last very long. especially when the weather temps climb.

Zero and low nitro fuels are not easy to find around here but when it is found the price is high so mixing my own is a positive alternative.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:02 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Maidened the Gemini today! It did not require any trim adjustments!

I was really surprised as I don't consider myself to be a particularly good builder. Throttled back to half power it flew well. I was anticipating it to be much faster. I did a few circuits loops and rolls then decided to land.

I'm not a particularly good pilot either, and stalled the model just before landing, wiping off the Foam-E WOT 4 undercarriage; it was only held on by two wood-screws. There was no other apparent damage, the C of G seemed to be within limits so I hand-launched it and flew it about before landing it on the grass.

Guess I'll reinforce the undercarriage plate and bolt the undercarriage on with nylon bolts. That way I could easily fly the model either with or without the undercarriage. I'll also make a few cosmetic alterations.

Thirty years on, I've succeeded in building and flying my first radio controlled model aircraft again.

Mission accomplished!
Old 04-08-2016, 08:24 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Hi Biker BC! [....] Judging by your handle, you are a motorcyclist. This is mine.
Originally Posted by Super08
I as well...
Mine as well.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:41 AM
donnyman

I am breaking a promise not to build anything new but I didn't want to miss the oppurtunity to build myself a copy
these will be numbers 2 and 3. I got several parts copied and cut out and found a new set of spring air retracts in my stock pile.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0393.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	4.00 MB
ID:	2156538  
Old 04-09-2016, 05:08 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Outstanding choice!!!! Great plane!!!!!!!!
Old 04-10-2016, 10:57 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Pleased to report that the maiden of the SLEC Fun Fly was successful. It was a bit windy so I flew the ARTF Stick 1500 first as I don't really mind if I crash that one!I managed quite a long flight with a landing on the 10 metre wide runway, however, I clipped the prop on landing and filed a few millimetres off one of the blades. Then I faffed about watching others fly, thought about flying the Gemini instead, thought about not flying the Fun Fly but finally decided that I was a competent enough pilot so off I went.

The take off didn't go in the direction I'd planned but I soon got hold of it. It required a fair bit of up trim and a small amount of left aileron but after that I just flew it about on low rates most of the time. Loops, rolls, immelmans, (immelmen?) even a Cuban Eight, then I decided to quite while I was ahead. I brought her in somewhat hesitantly and on finals I heard Fabrice, the club's treasurer, who had just arrived, shout out, "Sur la piste!...Sur la piste!" which means, "On the runway!" I'm pleased to say that I put her down on the runway, without clipping the prop and taxied her back to me. It was not my best landing ever but it was a maiden flight and there was no damage; better than some of Fabrice's later landings with his Goldberg Piper Cub! Then I flew the Gemini and managed to land that on the piste, again, it was not a perfect landing but I'm still getting used to this model too.

I got Roger to take a couple of pictures of your humble servant posing with the model in my NCB suit which matches the colour of the model! I'm going for a haircut and beardtrim on Tuesday. I may even dispense with the winter whiskers, they make me look like a badger or a homeless person!

Perhaps I'll opt for an aviator's moustache!

Old 04-11-2016, 03:35 PM
acdii

You mean more like the road side crew Minus the leg irons of course.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:22 PM
GallopingGhostler

Not sure what NCB is. Found definitions from a banking institute to Narcotics Control Bureau. Nice looking sport model, Telemaster.
Old 04-11-2016, 04:33 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Not sure what NCB is. Found definitions from a banking institute to Narcotics Control Bureau. Nice looking sport model, Telemaster.
nuclear, chemical, biological hazmat suit
Old 04-11-2016, 08:43 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

National Coal Board.

They date from the time when we had a coal mining industry. Today there's not a single underground coal mine in the entire of the UK. That's why the overalls were cheap.

Some of my former colleagues in my English club called them my "Guantanamo Overalls!" I don't care! They're very well made, they keep me warm, they keep my clothes clean and they're fire resistant. They might come in useful some day, you never know!
Old 04-12-2016, 01:28 AM
GallopingGhostler

National Coal Board. They date from the time when we had a coal mining industry. Today there's not a single underground coal mine in the entire of the UK. That's why the overalls were cheap. Some of my former colleagues in my English club called them my "Guantanamo Overalls!" I don't care! They're very well made, they keep me warm, they keep my clothes clean and they're fire resistant. They might come in useful some day, you never know!
The overalls do look duty, versus US prison garb, which is light duty. My first impression was with a reflective fluorescent yellow vest and construction helmet, you could pass for an emergency responder or flagman for the highway construction industry. Added benefit would be no mistaking you on the field whilst retrieving your airplane, Telemaster.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:24 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

...also if anyone were to crash their model into me while I was wearing them, I would be able to sue them quite successfully.

As for hard hats and reflective vests, I'm pleased to say that those days are behind me.

I also have a red set but I've never worn them...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.