Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 04-12-2016, 04:26 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Double post in error.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:39 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I also have a red set but I've never worn them...
Then You would look like Red Adair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjM12xDlSX0 Or if you prefer something more entertaining but fictionalized: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063060/

In 1968 in my home town at the time they held this movie over for more than 6 months I saw it every week!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Red-Adair-to-the-Rescue_01.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	2157023  
Old 04-12-2016, 03:03 PM
tunakuts3d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

read this please
http://view.exacttarget.com/?j=fe5f1...0d7e721171&r=0
Old 04-12-2016, 03:36 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

They're finally figuring out that model flying is - and has been - in trouble.

Government over-control. Sheesh!
Old 04-12-2016, 08:04 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

At the flying field last Sunday, when I maidened the Fun Fly, Roger Aubard, the club's leading pilot, said that he had a model, a Nieuport 17, he'd like to give me. I had seen the fuselage in his workshop in the past and I wasn't sure what scale it was. I went round to pick it up yesterday.

It turns out that it isn't a Nieuport after all. It's a 1/3 scale Mick Reeves Sopwith Camel!!!

It will take me years to build it and as I have other projects to complete first, it will be some time before I can get started on it, however, I'm flattered that Roger thinks that my building skills are good enough for such an advanced model.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

At the flying field last Sunday, when I maidened the Fun Fly, Roger Aubard, the club's leading pilot, said that he had a model, a Nieuport 17, he'd like to give me. I had seen the fuselage in his workshop in the past and I wasn't sure what scale it was. I went round to pick it up yesterday.

It turns out that it isn't a Nieuport after all. It's a 1/3 scale Mick Reeves Sopwith Camel!!!

It will take me years to build it and as I have other projects to complete first, it will be some time before I can get started on it, however, I'm flattered that Roger thinks that my building skills are good enough for such an advanced model.
The best part of this hobby is the kindness and generosity we receive from a fellow modelers. I have been both the giver and the receiver and can honestly say there is nothing like it!
Old 04-13-2016, 06:31 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The best part of this hobby is the kindness and generosity we receive from a fellow modelers. I have been both the giver and the receiver and can honestly say there is nothing like it!
Indeed!

Roger was given it by a builder who had contracted cancer and no longer had much enrergy. Roger got the kit free gratis and for nothing on condition that he finish the model.

The baton has now been passed on to me.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

Indeed!

Roger was given it by a builder who had contracted cancer and no longer had much enrergy. Roger got the kit free gratis and for nothing on condition that he finish the model.

The baton has now been passed on to me.
I got my VK Models DR.1 project in a similar way. I just put the fuselage sides on my fuselage jig to assemble the fuselage box I will post a picture later.

Mike
Old 04-13-2016, 08:34 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

...also if anyone were to crash their model into me while I was wearing them, I would be able to sue them quite successfully.
At least the heavier material is warm. Sure they won't mistake you for a traffic cone?

As for hard hats and reflective vests, I'm pleased to say that those days are behind me. I also have a red set but I've never worn them...
Still got a couple construction hats. Used one to mount my Vivitar video cam on for capturing flight. Use my reflective vests for motorcycle riding and flagging at motocross events.

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
Originally Posted by tunakuts3d
They're finally figuring out that model flying is - and has been - in trouble. Government over-control. Sheesh!
I read that, yikes! My 1959 Berkeley Impulse single channel pylon racer / trainer build will require certification??? We need a new president who will carry out the will of the people and control his cabinet members to honor what Congress passes, not allow the carte blanche.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 04-13-2016 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
I read that, yikes! My 1959 Berkeley Impulse single channel pylon racer / trainer build will require certification??? We need a new president who will carry out the will of the people and control his cabinet members to honor what Congress passes, not allow the carte blanche.
I don't think you can lay it at his door. He didn't appoint the current FAA head and the FAA has a history of ignoring Congress and the president.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:18 AM
GallopingGhostler

FAA comes under Transportation. Transportation reports directly to the president.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

Telemaster here is you picture. Does the Fuselage jig look familiar? A friend in the UK over on the RCMF forum in UK sent it to me as a gift! The Fi pieces on the front of each side are positioned wrong and the previous builder forgot to predrill the holes for the blind nuts. He installed them at a right angle to the side but they should be tilted forward so the are at a 90 degree angle from the center line. I will need to cut them free and reposition them and laminate another piece of balsa to the front of them or replace the stringer which will be too short when they are in the correct angle.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100744.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	2157196   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100745.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	2.77 MB
ID:	2157198   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100746.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	2.85 MB
ID:	2157199  

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 04-13-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:59 AM
FlyerInOKC

FAA comes under Transportation. Transportation reports directly to the president.

You are suffering from a common false assumption, true they have to report to the president but he cannot dictate their actions. He's like a Bishop in certain Protestant church denominations, he has all of the authority but none of the power to exercise his will. The civil service system as prescribed by an act of Congress prevents the president or any other elect official or presidential appointee from firing or disciplining federal employees, They can make recommendations for action thru the OPM but that's it. That's why Obama had to go to Congress to get authority to fire VA management who covered up the excessive waits by Vets to see a doctor, he can't touch them like the FAA people. Congress in spite of their claim to support our Vets has failed to take action. Pretty much it takes a felony conviction to fire a Federal employee and even then sometimes they can keep their pensions. Don't like it? Blame that bunch controlling Congress they are the only ones with any power to change it and they haven't done it yet. Just like they won't reign in special interests and lobbyists, it might affect their employment options when they leave office. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to change anytime soon either.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:52 PM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

You are suffering from a common false assumption, true they have to report to the president but he cannot dictate their actions. He's like a Bishop in certain Protestant church denominations, he has all of the authority but none of the power to exercise his will. The civil service system as prescribed by an act of Congress prevents the president or any other elect official or presidential appointee from firing or disciplining federal employees, They can make recommendations for action thru the OPM but that's it. That's why Obama had to go to Congress to get authority to fire VA management who covered up the excessive waits by Vets to see a doctor, he can't touch them like the FAA people. Congress in spite of their claim to support our Vets has failed to take action. Pretty much it takes a felony conviction to fire a Federal employee and even then sometimes they can keep their pensions. Don't like it? Blame that bunch controlling Congress they are the only ones with any power to change it and they haven't done it yet. Just like they won't reign in special interests and lobbyists, it might affect their employment options when they leave office. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to change anytime soon either.
thanks flyer let me add.

Well now A subject that gets me fired up! CONGRESS Good old do nothing but sit on their a__ congress. the system is broken gentlemen and you and I need to get off our rusty dusties and do something about it.

The president is blamed for a lot of things when in reality he doesn't have the power to do what we would like to see happen. but what get's me mad when he tries our congress says negative things and offers no alternatives Remember it was said That they will do everyting in there power to make this president fail...........and they couldn't do that either. If they achieved their goal all that wouldl result is the people (you and I) will be left holding the short end of a very long stick. you can say all you want about this PRES. but you know and can plainly see that our problems lay with the congress. For someone that inherited a sinking ship and two wars He has done a damn good job of saving our carcus's.

80 years we needed a better health care system for all, he got us the best he could do without congressional help and millions are a lot better off for it , Imagine what could have been accomplished if the congress had assisted. your congressman has healthcare why not everyone else?

Worried about terrorist? well you can ask Ben Laden and dozens of other terrorist leaders about that. why couldn't the other people accomplish what he has. Is the economy better and jobs getting better you bet ! I could go on. It isn't perfect but you know darn well it is a long voyage to repair what others have destroyed..............................You need to get off his back!
Old 04-14-2016, 07:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

Well said Donny! Up here the state legislature has done a great job of giving away state money in the form of Corporate welfare they called tax cuts they said would build the economy and add jobs (Basic Republican supply side economics). Well it failed miserably like it has in every other state that has tried it. Now instead of rescinding the tax cuts to these Billion dollar corporations they are cutting medicare 25% and drastically cutting school budgets and laying off teachers. I didn't hear anything about giving back raises they got over the years or cutting their perks either. They are so desperate to find some one to blame they are trying to say its Bill Clinton's policies that did it. REALLY?! Wake up bozos no one is believing that one he has been gone from office 15 years and you guys dug this hole.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:51 AM
GallopingGhostler

Very simply this, he nominates candidates to the various secretary positions, who are confirmed or rejected by the Senate. Thus, he does have say in the process. He surrounds himself with advisers that he has confidence will advise him properly, of whom he also has input too. Yes, he does not have the right to fire per say his secretaries, but is involved with the selection process. To blindly say he has no or little control over the process is not correct.

Regarding firing a federal employee, it can be done because I have seen it done. The process is arduous, but not impossible.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

Very simply this, he nominates candidates to the various secretary positions, who are confirmed or rejected by the Senate. Thus, he does have say in the process. He surrounds himself with advisers that he has confidence will advise him properly, of whom he also has input too. Yes, he does not have the right to fire per say his secretaries, but is involved with the selection process. To blindly say he has no or little control over the process is not correct.

Regarding firing a federal employee, it can be done because I have seen it done. The process is arduous, but not impossible.
But the president's appointed secretary again has little control over the career civil servants by design. They set the tone and the emphasize what they would like the department to do or the direction they want it to go but have little control if the permanent staff if they wish to go in another direction. FAA regulation isn't something the secretary can control or override. Congress passes laws but the permanent agency staff interprets the laws and Congress is bad about leaving details missing or quite vague. The new so called strengthening of the previous act intended to protect our hobby still seems vague to me and fall short of what it could be. I blame Congress for that not the FAA. Agencies like the FAA interpret the laws in the end and some elements within the agency may exploit the vagueness to meet their own agendas or just plain misinterpret what Congress intended.
I think Congress need to specifically state in their law if the aircraft is below a certain size, operated below a certain elevation above the retain, and NOT for commercial use and the operator has minimum liability coverage (like for drivers) thru a policy they own or thru a fee paid to an public entity (think AMA here) they should be except for FAA regulation when outside certain types of controlled airspace.

While firing a federal employee is possible it can easily delayed or forestalled for years if not beyond a secretary's term in office. I have seen that happen.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 04-14-2016 at 09:29 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:52 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Some good information here regarding our screwed up government, hope the mods don't delete it, as long as we keep it civil.

With that said, there really is only one way we as "The People" can fix this, and that is vote out all incumbents, it's just too bad most voters don't have the brains to do the leg work in finding out who is an incumbent, or even know what incumbent means, they just pull, push, or check a box of the current name on the list. The system is broken, and corrupt, and doubt would ever be fixed or changed in my lifetime. The way the FAA ignores Congress is a very good example!
Old 04-14-2016, 10:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think the discussion was civil. Yes, we had different opinions and points of view, but no one got personal or resorted to name calling. We stated our positions and let it stand at that. We may not agree on everything and probably didn't change any minds, but we still respect each other and that is all that matters. That is how Democracy is suppose to work. Besides were all airplane nuts any way so who cares about the other's politics!
Old 04-14-2016, 12:20 PM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

WOW

I am proud and pleased to say I am amongst intelligent, thoughtful, decent, respectful, individuals.

way to go gentlemen, way to go. you are a rare breed of human being that I am proud be be associated with.

We disagree and speak our minds with respect for others. Many, far to many to count can learn volumes from what has transpired here. now if we could only teach it to our politicians. (notice I did not say leaders?)
Old 04-14-2016, 12:33 PM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks Donny!

Sometimes though I think the only different between a politician and a former politician is a felony conviction. ;-)
Old 04-14-2016, 05:26 PM
GallopingGhostler

Speaking of civility, for those who are devote Christians, evangelism is nothing more than one beggar telling the other where to get food. Regarding Congress controlling FAA, one thing they could do is cut their budget. It has been done before, and that will get their attention. They shouldn't be allocating more resources (money and people) to create and enforce regulations on already law abiding citizens, which Congress has already passed law they were supposed to follow but didn't.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:34 PM
acdii

Thanks Donny!

Sometimes though I think the only different between a politician and a former politician is a felony conviction. ;-)
Sure is true in Illinois!
Old 04-14-2016, 05:36 PM
acdii

Speaking of civility, for those who are devote Christians, evangelism is nothing more than one beggar telling the other where to get food. Regarding Congress controlling FAA, one thing they could do is cut their budget. It has been done before, and that will get their attention. They shouldn't be allocating more resources (money and people) to create and enforce regulations on already law abiding citizens, which Congress has already passed law they were supposed to follow but didn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B01o2xtJwgk
Old 04-14-2016, 08:47 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

If I were to build the 1/3 scale Sopwith Camel mentioned in post 2481, I would need to buy a bigger engine than any of the ones I currently possess. The minimum size which Mick Reeves recommends is 50cc so I suppose I could buy a DLE of 50-60cc. Alternatively a Laser V twin appeals, the 360 equates to 60cc and by the time I finish it, doubtless Laser will be offering a petrol alternative.

What about the 77cc Evolution? It looks the bee's knees but produces less than 4bhp. Is it powerful enough? The model may be expected to weigh 30lbs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.