Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 11:18 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I have been thinking that since my son is in Cub Scouts, to arrange with my flying club a field outing, until I found out there are 25 cubs in his pack, and the logistics for a 10 person field would be horrendous. I might consider doing a 5 kid per weekend outing if other members are interested, spread it out over 5 Saturdays. That would give each kid about 20 minutes of training. Now to ask my club members what they think.
Start with the Webelos second year then the webelos first year unless they total mopre than 10. Then you can work your way down by rank or den. That will give you a manageable number and optimize the fun for the kids.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:03 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Good thinking, and if we can manage to bus them in(in a van of course) that would be better as we have very little room for parking anything other than what we flyers have. Our field is shrinking too, they have a burn pile that mysteriously keeps moving further and further inwards, though there isnt much there. I am hoping they move the trailers on the right side so we have a clear runway again, its a bit scary to have a flatbed full of things past the overshoot area, so if we have a missed approach or a go around that deadsticks, could make for a very bad day.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:02 PM
busted2props
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Duh-Huh question. "is flying any better today with the computer radio than it was with our limited 5,6,7-ch radios with dial in mixing?" I believe the pilot's skills are more limited now than before. Remember the four channel radio? Uh-huh!
Old 04-25-2016, 09:14 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by busted2props
I have a Duh-Huh question. "is flying any better today with the computer radio than it was with our limited 5,6,7-ch radios with dial in mixing?" I believe the pilot's skills are more limited now than before. Remember the four channel radio? Uh-huh!
Good question. Personally I have a dumb 4 channel Hobby Shack Cirrus (Futaba stencil) system on 72 MHz that is still my main radio. It has no mixing, no dual rates. I just use it, adjust the control horns accordingly to give me more or reduced throws. Not long ago I bought a Futaba computer radio, but have yet to put it to use. It's got bells and whistles, mixing. I think it more important one learn how to fly. Radio may make adjustments easier, but it is no panacea. Remember the days when elevon mixing was done mechanically using a sliding servo tray?
Old 04-25-2016, 09:56 PM
busted2props

oh yeah.!. Give me an old 4 or 7 ch radio and I am happy. I fly with an old JR Century 7 radio or Futaba Conquest 6 radio. Limited. Hahahaha..With the adjustable rates on both radios, I can do anything. AIso fly with a Futaba 4 ch. I have a Spektrum 7 that has never been out of the box. It can stay there!!!

Last edited by busted2props; 04-25-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:31 PM
busted2props

I'm a renegade and there's 7 more of us. We fly on a cleared field of about 70 acres and are considering starting a new club.?. Or should we stay renegade? Nothing to hurt here but us.!.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:19 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ALL my radios are still 4-channel, 72MHz.

Yeah, keeping it simple.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:28 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
ET PILOT

Yes we do seem to be on the same track! I even tried to have someone finish my new shop build well it's been two weeks with not a word from him.

Are you in TX. to keep away from the snow like me? the last time I visited the coast (Long Island) they had frozen ankle deep snow with a sheet of ice beneath it. I had to help chip the car out of the ice to get to the airport. I will only visit in the summer now

My 18 year old brain is trying to kill this 74YR. old body but I won't let it. A far as flying goes The weather has been too sucky and I prefer building over flying so I don't do much flying anymore.

I got some honeydo's then I'm back in the shop.
From Brooklyn my family moved to Florida. There I had a good career, retired then moved here to East Texas. It's going on 26 years in Texas so this is home. Amongst all my projects one is to finish trimming a storage building I built. It was a solo build except for the shingles. It is my last major big build. I'll be 73 next month! Body is slowing down.

My last NY visit was about 2 years ago for Christmas. Very cold but no snow nor ice. Good thing as I drove there.

I cut a runway on my place. Work just keeps me from using it often. My RC Club is an hour away so the runway is handy at times.

On on the good side, staying busy and working out keeps you healthy.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:33 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
They don't want your money!?
I was beginning to think so but this morning I got the bill from paypal, It's my first transaction with them but looks ok!

I still use several four channel radios all the gigamagagits of today just get in the way, I prefer the k i s s principal. All I teach are taught on simple four channel units, it cuts down on the confusion.

Last edited by donnyman; 04-26-2016 at 04:41 AM.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:56 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by ETpilot
From Brooklyn my family moved to Florida. There I had a good career, retired then moved here to East Texas. It's going on 26 years in Texas so this is home. Amongst all my projects one is to finish trimming a storage building I built. It was a solo build except for the shingles. It is my last major big build. I'll be 73 next month! Body is slowing down.

My last NY visit was about 2 years ago for Christmas. Very cold but no snow nor ice. Good thing as I drove there.

I cut a runway on my place. Work just keeps me from using it often. My RC Club is an hour away so the runway is handy at times.

On on the good side, staying busy and working out keeps you healthy.
Hey Homey!

I did the same thing but in 1984 after living in Austin for 17 years My runway has come and gone three times.

I grew up in the Fort Greene projects, left for the A.F. in late 1959. got here in 1967 after south east asia tour. The texas veterans land board hooked me up with this piece of TX.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have 2 computerized radios on 6 on 7. The only feature I really use is to allow me to use two channels for the ailerons. I never program it. I do use the model number memory when I remember.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:37 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

In 1980 I bought a 4 channel and a 6channel JR Circus Circus. Eventually the aileron part of the 4 channel failed. I flew with the 6 channel until 2000. I was landing and the airplane just dove into the ground. When I took the receiver apart it was just a ball of corrosion. You could not tell by looking at it it had ever been any type of electronic device. My sun gave me a Tower 6 channel and it still works but it is glitchy. It never seemed to threaten to crash but the airplane would just jerk or the engine would rev up when it was idling. I bought a used JR 642 it was just great. I mixed the flaps and ailerons and used the aileron differential. I really liked that. Then 3 years ago all the controls locked over and crashed the airplane I thought it was radio interference. About a week later the glider did the same thing but I got control to save it just before it hit the ground. So I bought a used Airtronics SD-6G 2.5g. It works pretty good but I can't program the flap aileron mix. That kind of frustrates me I really miss that from my old JR. I use the servo end point adjustment set to 150%. And adjust the linkages to fit the airplane. My thought is I am using the whole servo instead of just part of it and should be getting better resolution..
Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I went full bore and got 2.4 Ghz radios, started with a DX6i, then a DX8, then a Futaba 8FGS, then a JR 12X. Now I just picked up a Futaba 14FG, and transferring my planes to it. I have most planes set at full rates, no special mixing, just out of the box programming, but when putting together my bigger planes, especially the warbirds, the computer radios are the way to go. I can run scale like flaps on the JR, and set them to engage at a certain throttle setting, so for a go around, throttle up and the flaps retract automatically. They also can be slowed down so they deploy slow like the real ones. The Futaba doesn't have that feature, but I found them to be more stable than the Spektrum and JR. I was having issues with my Sig Something Extra, and I do believe it was radio related. Biggest difference is time to bind, the JR/Spektrum RX takes up to 5 seconds to bind when the TX is turned on, the Futaba is almost immediate. Thats huge when you have a brownout in the air.

For type of radio, it really all depends on what you fly, simple 4 channel birds like my LT-40 and 4*120 would be fine on the older radios, but my SIG SE would be a handful without dual rates, I fly it at low rates because at full, a little stick in the wrong direction would cause considerable agony if it happened at the wrong place. I also like that I can set throttle cuts on these radios, so I can shut the motor off if I need to, which is needed when running gas or CDI glow. My P-47 needs 8 channels, 2 for elevators and 2 for flaps, along with the rudder, ailerons and throttle, and gear. The flaps and elevator need separate channels to reverse one servo each, so these radios make things so much easier. They are a PITA to learn though, but once you have them set, they work great. On my 4*120 I use a 6 channel so that I can set up flaperons to help slow it down.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same and switched over to 2.4 as of 2008. I have a Futaba 8FGA and a Futaba 12Z. I sold off and donated all my 72 Mhz stuff.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:56 AM
donnyman

Flyer in okc - Joe Fisher - acdii

I am asking you fellows in particular to tell me how these passing storms have affected your areas because I have been repairng my roof shingles and I'm only on the tail end of these storms. The weather reports here showed the areas you are in to be beat to death. how true are these reports I feel the news media here pumps up the truth, let me know how you have been affected.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:09 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
Flyer in okc - Joe Fisher - acdii

I am asking you fellows in particular to tell me how these passing storms have affected your areas because I have been repairng my roof shingles and I'm only on the tail end of these storms. The weather reports here showed the areas you are in to be beat to death. how true are these reports I feel the news media here pumps up the truth, let me know how you have been affected.
I have been fortunate in that the really bad stuff has gone north or south of me. I have had some high winds and rain but nothing destructive as others have experienced. I am fortunate in my subaddition prior to the mid 50s was a lake bed. The house behind me (East side) sits a good 12 to 15 feet higher. Go west of me and the terrain is also a little higher so that helps. The downside is I quite often don't get as much rain as other areas when we really need it. We joke their is an umbrella over our house.

Mike
Old 04-29-2016, 04:07 PM
ETpilot

Donny, I've been under a tornado watch for a few hours now here in East Texas. Some wind but no rain on the ground yet. You are repairing your shingles and today I found a roofing fault in my shop. Getting ready for this system to pass thru, I checked my poor shop roof. I saw daylight in a corner of the building. I didn't want to get on the roof as some wind was in our area. So I got the extension ladder out and got up to see. Well a sheet of plywood was buckling and had pulled some from the end wall. I made a wooden support which I screwed to the end truss and the plywood. Hopefully this holds. I need to get hopping on this shop roof. I need to replace some fascia boards and I want to make the shop into a Tee shape with a roof over a concrete work pad. I need to talk to the truss company to see if it is doable for my shop.

BTW, that Fort Greene area of Brooklyn is going thru a transformation. Looking really good. I have a friend who recently moved there.

i just heard some thunder so system is getting closer.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:23 PM
FlyerInOKC

We dodged the gun again tonight in OKC, we only got a 8/10 of an inch of rain. Others weren't so lucky, 2 tornados but no fatalities. Thanks for the concern Donny!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:06 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

We were talking of dentistry a while back. I've just had a root canal filling in my left primo-molar. It cost me £509 or about $744 US. My dentist is also my cousin so I got family rates, anybody else would have paid £599. How does this compare with what you'd pay in the USA?
Old 04-30-2016, 05:03 AM
donnyman

Gentlemen

I see the weather is about what was reported. Good to hear everybody is none the worse for it. A cold front passed us about 5 this morning it headed east (look out etpilot) didn't hear much wind and the rain was modest but the lightning was continuous, non stop flashes sliding eastward. right now the sun is shining until sunday when another low pressure system is due, they arrive here like waves hitting a beach.
Old 04-30-2016, 05:06 AM
ETpilot

This weather system came in full blast during the early morning hours. Wind, rain and lots of lightning. It dumped 3.5” in ground that is already saturated. I inspected my shop roof and no damage although I have 3 water leaks. A while back I got some free airplanes. I just moved them from the garage to the shop. One plane and a few wings were close to this weak plywood panel. I worried the panel would give and damage the wings n plane plus other stuff I have in that corner. I need to get working on this repair.

April-May are bad weather months in Texas. My prayers for those who suffered damage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2160082   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	2160083  
Old 04-30-2016, 05:17 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
We were talking of dentistry a while back. I've just had a root canal filling in my left primo-molar. It cost me £509 or about $744 US. My dentist is also my cousin so I got family rates, anybody else would have paid £599. How does this compare with what you'd pay in the USA?
Hello!
The price seems about the same, I had a out of pocket expense of $551 over what my insurance paid. I think the total was just over $1000 The dentist said he did better than 20 a week!
Old 04-30-2016, 05:40 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Telemaster Sales UK;12208106]We were talking of dentistry a while back. I've just had a root canal filling in my left primo-molar. It cost me £509 or about $744 US. My dentist is also my cousin so I got family rates, anybody else would have paid £599. How does this compare with what you'd pay in the USA?[/QUOTf

$29.99 for a Dremel grinder and needle files and whatever price you pay for painkillers After four root canals, I went with full dentures.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:22 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I have a full set of teeth on the left side of my jaw. On the right I have four molars missing. I considered it a good price to pay for a sound tooth for the rest of my life.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:26 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Last year and so far this year the storms seem to just split around us. I watch the weather radar on Weather Underground and storms come strait at us and just split. Thursday night there were so many storms. Our son lives in Gerard KS his house is on the north edge of town and no damage any where near him. Some people we know have a veterinary clinic on the south side of Gerard and it was completely destroyed along with a small foundry.There are trees and wires down all over the south half of Gerard. We got a total of 1" of rain. People we know near Parsons KS 15 miles south of us got 5" of rain and Chanute KS 15 miles north got 3.5" of rain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.