Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 03:09 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

I guess we can all be thankful we haven't been affected too badly by the weather but I am ready for a long mild weather spell.

One good thing is I got the opportunity to cut balsa for awhile and made some progress. My Flitemetal arrived, tried it, not bad! it seems to be thicker than what I was useing but don't let it touch the surface before it is positioned the adhesive acts like contact cement and is very agressive. once on it can produce a very good looking finish.

The time seems to whizz by when in the shop but my back tells me when to quit. I use a stool a lot lately.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:25 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

How about a picture of your first Flitemetal attempt? I generally work sitting down too. Between the knees and the back I can't stay on my feet that long.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:11 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Man, this really is an old coot thread! LOL Back aches, yes, knees, yes, feet yes, hands, yes. OK, yeah Im an old coot too.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:43 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Man, this really is an old coot thread! LOL Back aches, yes, knees, yes, feet yes, hands, yes. OK, yeah Im an old coot too.
Don't forget curmudgeons too!
Old 05-02-2016, 03:16 PM
acdii

I reserve that for the guys in my flying club
Old 05-03-2016, 03:47 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yesterday I had my day planned out. I was going to load my trailer and go get a downed tree. Well weather again messed me up. It started raining in the morning. But worse than that, I woke up and had a sharp pain in my right knee. Not sure how I injured it. I limped around all day. Early on I spent a lot of time resting my knee. Toward the end of the day I couldn't take it any more. So I went to the garage where I had been cleaning and repackaging some old balsa wood and other things that were given to me. I spent the afternoon finishing that job. Plus I bent a landing gear for a plane. That was a bit more difficult with this knee pain.

Today the knee is better, just a little bit of pain. I'm going to get an elastic knee support and new pads to rebuild my old crutch set. So the crutch set will be on standby, my knee will be supported and I always wear a back brace while working. Old age is creeping up on me.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:12 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I suppose I should be grateful, I turned 68 in March and don't suffer from any of these ailments. Not yet anway...
Old 05-03-2016, 06:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Yesterday I had my day planned out. I was going to load my trailer and go get a downed tree. Well weather again messed me up. It started raining in the morning. But worse than that, I woke up and had a sharp pain in my right knee. Not sure how I injured it. I limped around all day. Early on I spent a lot of time resting my knee. Toward the end of the day I couldn't take it any more. So I went to the garage where I had been cleaning and repackaging some old balsa wood and other things that were given to me. I spent the afternoon finishing that job. Plus I bent a landing gear for a plane. That was a bit more difficult with this knee pain.

Today the knee is better, just a little bit of pain. I'm going to get an elastic knee support and new pads to rebuild my old crutch set. So the crutch set will be on standby, my knee will be supported and I always wear a back brace while working. Old age is creeping up on me.
The problem with the knee is known as "old age" an insidious aliment with only one known cure which would preclude performing all other activities.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
How about a picture of your first Flitemetal attempt? I generally work sitting down too. Between the knees and the back I can't stay on my feet that long.
You got it, I was beginning to think you would never ask I'll post some pics later today I have to convince these knees to carry me upstairs to take some pics. I tested the flitemetal on the horizontal stab. looks ok and I am ready to order more. I just wanted to try it out.

This is weird....... My daughters highschool friend paid us a visit and she is a absolute knock out good looking woman, I can,t keep my eyes off of her the odd thing is I can't remember why!

Last edited by donnyman; 05-03-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:36 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
You got it, I was beginning to think you would never ask I'll post some pics later today I have to convince these knees to carry me upstairs to take some pics. I tested the flitemetal on the horizontal stab. looks ok and I am ready to order more. I just wanted to try it out.

This is weird....... My daughters highschool friend paid us a visit and she is a absolute knock out good looking woman, I can,t keep my eyes off of her the odd thing is I can remember why!
If you would like something a little thinner and lighter you might order a sample of this stuff.

http://www.aero-accessories.com/Builders.html
Old 05-03-2016, 09:45 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by ETpilot

ETPILOT

You need to contact my son he is in Trinity TX.and has two felled trees he will probably give you, one is blocking his driveway

What do you know about the contest coming up in livingston?
Old 05-03-2016, 11:34 AM
donnyman

Took some pic. forya!

Nothing to brag about, pic.1 is the flitemetal on the stab. The upper half is the one that stuck before I was ready so I got some wrinkle. The bottom half is better both will remain. ...pic.2 is foil from mama's kitchen held on with 3m77 spray contact cement. both pics' show areas that need replacemnt but this is a learning process and really looks much better in sun light.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	nosen p-51 flitemetal1.JPG
Views:	261
Size:	3.79 MB
ID:	2160669   Click image for larger version

Name:	nosen p-51 flitemetal2.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	3.90 MB
ID:	2160670  

Last edited by donnyman; 05-04-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:42 AM
acdii

OK now, focus on the plane, not the jailbait. At least you know that old age hasn't affected that......yet.
Old 05-03-2016, 02:22 PM
FlyerInOKC

It looks good Donny! Like anything there is a little art to it and a learning curve.

Mike
Old 05-03-2016, 02:25 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The muffler on my Satio has been a pain since i got it. First flight when I got the engine used the guts fell out of the muffler. It kept getting loose and I was tightening the jam nut after every flight it got so worn that it wouldn't stay on. I was going to by a new one from Horizon $43 + $13 for the pipe. But the pipe is back order. So I put this peace of silicone tube on and I really like it, it sounds just like a real Aeronca 7AC. It occurred to me that a 4cycle one cylinder running 10,000 RPM has the same cadence as a 4 cylinder running at 2500RPM.

Name:	DSC00417.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	2160710  
Old 05-03-2016, 02:32 PM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher

The muffler on my Satio has been a pain since i got it. ...
If you decide you need a muffler on it, put on a Turboheader. Talk to Dave, Former Dairy Farmer.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:01 PM
ETpilot

The problem with the knee is known as "old age" an insidious aliment with only one known cure which would preclude performing all other activities.
i hear what you say. That is why I stay busy busy. Keep "old age" from catching me. The knee has been feeling good most of the day. I have my trailer attached, the pickup loaded with gear. I'm getting that tree tomorrow. This is my third and last trip getting that tree. Lot of wood to split. Lol.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:13 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by donnyman
ETPILOT

You need to contact my son he is in Trinity TX.and has two felled trees he will probably give you, one is blocking his driveway

What do you know about the contest coming up in livingston?
If Trinity were not too far I'd get those trees. It is about a 2 hour drive. I drove thru Trinity 3-4 weeks ago coming from Huntsville.

I don't know know anything about the Livinston Fun Fly. I saw the notice in Model Aviation and gave some thought about possibly driving down there. Tyler, TX is having an Electric Fun Fly on the same day. Much closer so I may drive there. My local club is have their Fun Fly on the 21st.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:13 AM
donnyman

It looks good Donny! Like anything there is a little art to it and a learning curve.

Mike
You are right ! I am not looking to get a top gun finish but I do want it to look good, so several pieces will be replaced.

Joe Fisher
I don't use mufflers on four strokers, and I enjoy the sound of them. I have several O.S. 160 fs and was looking forward to putting them in a cessna 310 but I have too many other projects and the cost of the landing gear is a stopper. I was looking at installing a magnum 160 fs in a large pattern bird but sold the bird before I could finish it.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:42 AM
donnyman

ETPILOT

There are several events happening in this area, Austin has a warbird meet, Taylor has a full scale event. Livingston and another event I can't think of right now.....busy weekend!
Old 05-04-2016, 05:31 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what do you guys think of this?
The super morton m5 br bruce satra fits in 60 size corsair cowl

plans are available from
[email protected]

Name:	m5_p1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	2160982   Click image for larger version

Name:	m5_satra.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	2160983   Click image for larger version

Name:	m5_front.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	2160984   Click image for larger version

Name:	weberprecision1011007.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	2160985   Click image for larger version

Name:	m5 cad.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	2160986   Click image for larger version

Name:	m5_exp.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	2160987  
Old 05-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I knew a Sargent in the Air Force in 1964. He had a Burgess M-5 (Burgess battery co.) He had it setting on top of his TV set. He had a H.O. transformer for spark power. It would start on the first or second flip. There was no way it had enough power to fly any thing. It was just cool to watch it start and run. Being indoors he only would let it run a few seconds and he said that was all he expected that it could run.

Last edited by Joe Fisher; 05-04-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

If you have to machine the parts to begin with I wonder how hard iot would be to modify it so it used Saito cylinders with the Hemi head? You could really increase proformance that way.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:24 AM
donnyman

Unless I miss my guess the morton was not intended to fly anything, it was made to teach fledgling military mechanics the workings of a radial engine, But I would love to have one.

The castings will require a small machine shop to finish. It is not for the uninitiated.

I saw a twelve cylinder merlin offered also. It powered a quarter scale mustang and sounded awesome.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:41 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys I hate to but in to a nice conversation about the Morten, but I have a question for all of you old geezers
Just opinun's witch paints are the litest with minimum, coats ? in the bast I have tried auto paints and did not like the increase in weight, also have used most brands of dope and with a good clear coat its good, and rattle can stuff did not like what I got even after wet sanding and a clear coat.
Currently I have 2 birds with plastic both Barf's, my weeks is fabric covered and painted with Nelsons Paints it gained 3 oz's my T/F G/S P47 and F4-U are both glassed and also have Nelsons paints on them but did not check the weight gain.

So

Cheers Bob T

Last edited by rt3232; 05-05-2016 at 03:01 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.