Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 05-20-2016, 02:32 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Professor Brightgarden

Glad you could drop in and pay a visit, you've been a busy man! I would love to get my hands on one of those 3d printers I got some scale items I'd like to make, Like six quarter scale Ma dueces for my mustang.

I am looking forward to seeing some of those old time projects you mentioned.
Old 05-21-2016, 11:15 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
what do you guys think of this?
The super morton m5 br bruce satra fits in 60 size corsair cowl

plans are available from
[email protected]
I just noticed an add for a morton M-5 in the July M.A.N. mag. classifieds, I called and left a message about the price. We'll see!
Old 05-21-2016, 11:32 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Professor Brightgarden

Glad you could drop in and pay a visit, you've been a busy man! I would love to get my hands on one of those 3d printers I got some scale items I'd like to make, Like six quarter scale Ma dueces for my mustang.
I am looking forward to seeing some of those old time projects you mentioned.
Our local public libraries each have at least one 3D printer for use by patrons. I have the tech sheet for developing the software, but I haven't yet. Check your libraries.

Richard
Old 05-21-2016, 12:07 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Our local public libraries each have at least one 3D printer for use by patrons. I have the tech sheet for developing the software, but I haven't yet. Check your libraries.

Richard
Will do! Thanks
Old 05-23-2016, 06:22 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all
what do you guys think of this?
The super morton m5 br bruce satra fits in 60 size corsair cowl

plans are available from
[email protected]
I got a response on the sale of a morton m5 and the price isn't outrageous $2000 with a extra cylinder, adjustable prop on a tube mount sounds nice .........Thought you might be interested the ad is in M.A.N. classified, I'm tempted.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:03 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Back in the day I wanted that kit but my wallet said NO! much less that high dollar Proctor kit (way out of my budget) Please post pics as you make progress. Are you going full blast with the scale factor?
I lucked into my kit as a gift from another site member. I will update as often as I have something to show. I plan on doing a some scale details but I don't want to get bogged down to much ans slow the build to a crawl. My time limits do that already.

Mike

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 05-24-2016 at 06:41 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:26 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well I guess old age has finally gotten to me. Today I decided to get topside on my shop roof n do a temp. repair as rain is forecast again. I get my tractor, supplies and extension ladder n proceed to work. My walls are 12’ high so I work off my tractor bucket and climb up using the extension ladder. In the heat of the day I finish my repair, get down from the roof and start thinking : I am old and shouldn't be doing this work anymore. So I'm going to get an estimate for repair from the crew that shingled my storage building roof. This will be one big project I will not have to worry about if the estimate for repair is reasonable. I'm pretty sure it will be.

I have plenty of airplanes to work on. A few were given to me. You can see pics of some of them in post 2572. I have 3 scratch built that need maiden flights. Eliminating the shop project will give me a bit more time to work on the planes.

My other projects I will complete slow as she goes. I will see how this plan works out.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:13 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Know whatcha mean ETpilot, I find myself second guessing things I've done that I probably shouldn't have done.
One thing I've been re-thinking is going 4-wheeling in the mountains and desert alone, summer AND winter.
I get out into the boonies where there's no CB reception and no cell phone service, I brake down or have a physical problem and I'm screwed.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:55 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey ETpilot! Sounds like good thinking to me - the sure sign of a "mature" mind (I HATE that "o"-word)
Old 05-25-2016, 07:40 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I agree, give the work to the younger fellahs and enjoy yourself!

If I can get the cybernetics to work, herewith a picture of your humble servant with his latest model, an ARTF WOT 4 XL powered by an Enya 120 FS just after yesterday's maiden flight which was delayed by hours while my French perfectionist colleagues persuaded me to adjust clevises on nearly every control surface by half a turn!

The engine is not the most powerful in the world but it is very reliable and ticks over like a long-stroke Bentley, and I bought the model, "to improve my flying!" That's my excuse anyway! I succeeded in having two good long flights and I landed it on our 10 metre wide tarmac strip on each occasion, a testament to the excellence of Chris Foss's basic design rather than my flying skills.

PS. If work were all it's cracked up to be, the rich would want it all!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	WOT 4 XL.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	2164236   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOT 4 XL 1.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	2164237  
Old 05-26-2016, 02:31 AM
ETpilot

Thanks guys. It was the right decision for me. It is amazing how, once made, my perspective on things totally changed. I even got some freezer paper out, last night, and started drawing the fuselage for my next build.

Carlos, I know what you mean by Alone. Living out in the country there are many things I have to do alone. So I have to give lots of thought to how to work safely. Having cell phone service helps.

Anyway I now have more time for airplane work.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

I'm with you guys I have quit getting on the roof and try to avoid ladders all together. I call one of my sons who lives locally.

Ironically this past weekend I discovered high winds had pulled back the shingles on the corner of the garage. I was going to call my son but then I remembered this roof was put on in July of 2012. Paperwork said it had a 5 year labor guarantee and a 25 year warranty on the shingles (I like 3 tab never particularly cared for the look of Timberline). I called Phil, the roofing company's man that sold me the roof (he use to live down the block but has since moved) on a Sunday. He quizzed me about what I saw and decided it would be OK for now the heavy felt the put down was intact and would keep the water out. Slight chance of rain predicted that night but the umbrella over my house held. Phil called me the next day and said he had a man coming out to look at it. Shortly there after a supervisor of one of his crews shows up and looks it over. He then sent a man out that afternoon, its misting by then and he nails the old stuff down and seals it and tells me his boss it out looking for a color match on the shingles and he is going to wait around for a while. It's 5:30 and we skipped lunch so we go to get something to eat. When we get home third truck is sitting in front of the house it's the second guy's boss waiting to talk to me. Well the shingles have been replaced and they matched the color perfectly. I think I'll keep these guys. if I ever need roof work again or know someone who does I'll recommend these guys. Their price was inline with the other guys, I always get at least 3 estimates and they handled everything including the insurance company. A few years back I would have probably crawled up on the roof myself and tacked it down. I guess I'm getting marginally smarter in my old age.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:58 AM
ETpilot

Flyer good show on getting that warranty work done. Finding a good reputable company is key. I built my shop, myself, about 24 years ago so it had a good run before needing work. The hole I patched was worse than I thought once I saw it from above. Good thing I fixed it. Yesterday we had a heavy rain system come thru. Today will be another all day rain event.

Rain events let me concentrate on model building. I got the fuselage, fin/ rudder and horizontal stabilizer drawn for my next build. Yesterday I cleared my building area. Today I hope to get some work started on this plane.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

Glad to hear you are holding up under all that rain and can get some quality build time in. I just hit the LHS and picked up a Dubro 2-56 Pull-Pull system for DR.1 project. There is enough coated wire to do both elevator and rudder so I picked up some extra crimps and couplers. I like the coated wire it is less likely to cut a hole in the fuselage sides.

I got a call from a friend offering a roll of what appears to be white iron on fabric of unknown brand. He does R/C estate sales and some stuff he can't give away let a lone sale so he gives me first crack. I have picked up some nice 2 cycle glow engines on the cheap and not knowing the brand of covering won't stop me from taking the fabric to use on the DR.1. I'm not working right now so I need to save every penny I can. I'll experiment on a smal frame work to see how it works and handles the paint before applying to the Fokker.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:26 AM
ETpilot

Well good news. My repair fix worked and my major shop leak is no more. I do have 2 spots where drops fall periodically. I have a catch pan for those. It has been heavy rains last 2 days. This system still extends a few hundred miles so I will have rain all day. Next week I should get my estimate for repair.

I checked my build station for flat and attached my plan for the build. I even got the airfoil templates done. I cut some wood and started on the vertical n horizontal stabilizers. I still need to draw out the wing. If this rain continues I may have the plane built before it stops raining. LOL.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	991.2 KB
ID:	2164429   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	2164430  
Old 05-28-2016, 07:05 AM
donnyman

ETPILOT
What kinda bird are you putting together?
it's a scratch job right?

my son said the rains pounded your area pretty good. we got some here but nothing to write about, except i get to spend time in the shop. the weather reports say rain all week log ......again!

The wing I am scratching up is well along so it will joined soon and I made drawings in case another is needed. still have the foam version from the kit to do.

Flyerinokc

You probably have some good stuff to cover your bird with you can't beat the price, I must have three or four rolls of Coverite that I will be using it really does a good job, I got mine from swap meets.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:45 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Talking of rain, after several days of superb weather here in central France, we've had constant rain, hail and thunder from late afternoon onwards, just as I was preparing to go to the flying field. We are all being examined next weekend! I have been put forward for two tests, a basic one like passing your driving test and the more advanced QPDD. I wanted to get some practice in but it looks like tomorrow is going to be another building day! I'm building a little Veron Cardinal at the moment which was my first successful model aeroplane when I was 12 years old. It will be powered by the same Mills 75 diesel I used then but this time it'll have a radio in it.That's 0.75cc! I bought it with the proceeds of my paper round. I'll be flying either the WOT 4 XL, which is pictured in Post 2636 or the Fun Fly which is pictured in Post 2453 on page 99 for the exam.

FlyerinOKC I hope you soon find work if that's what you're looking for. Having spent over thirty years of my life in various forms of government service, I'm glad that job hunting is behind me. I threw away all of my certificates prior to moving to France!
Old 05-28-2016, 03:25 PM
ETpilot

Donny, your son was right. A miserable rain day yesterday. Waves of heavy rain kept passing thru all day. I spent most of my time in the shop. Then at 4:30 PM the power goes out. So I go to the house check on the dogs. They get nervous during stormy days. I go back to the shop with my flashlight and finish my building for the day. I got the vertical fin and H stab. completed.

The plane is called a Forte. It was featured in an article November 2015 Model Aviation. I liked it so thought I'd build one. With luck it will be a reasonable facsimile. Weather is turning good so I may be able to fly my SPAD airplane. I just finished rebuilding the downspout fuselage after a crash.

Telemaster, what are these examinations that you mentioned? I believe that weather events have turned a bit nastier as compared to a decade or two back.
Old 05-28-2016, 09:09 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

ET Pilot, the national body in France, the Federation Francaise d'Aeromodelisme, (FFAM), the equivalent of the AMA, expects a certain percentage of its clubs' members to be able to demonstrate that they can fly competently so they have devised a number of tests, "examen" in French, to test our flying ability. They are sending an examiner from the Gueret club which is about twenty miles away. My friend Roger Aubard, the best pilot and instructor in my club, will be the other examiner.

The basic examination is the "Brevet A" in which you have to start your engine, take off, fly straight and level at a height of less than 10 metres, fly a horizontal eight, a loop, an immelman, a roll and a manouevre called a "retournement" in which you have to invert the model at height, pull up elevator and bunt out on the opposite track. Then you have to fly a rectangular circuit before landing.

The QPPD is more involved and includes a simulated dead stick landing.

Picture of the Mills 75 on test and of my little Veron Cardinal on the building board attached.

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...20Fuselage.jpg

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/...20Cardinal.jpg

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-28-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:56 AM
skylark-flier

That "retournement" sounds like a split-S to me.

I can see similar exams here eventually.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:20 AM
ETpilot

Telemaster, thanks for the info on the exams. I don't think I could pass the basic examination. Now if there were a test for situational crashing that one I can pass. I have experience in that event. LOL. I agree that the " retournement " sounds like the split-S. I sure hope exams do not come our way.

On my build I have the fuselage sides ready for cutting. I need to draw n cut the formers. The wing is drawn and I found a mistake on my airfoil. The airfoil template is 1/4" too long. Not a big mistake. I should have drawn first and make templates second.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:20 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

We've had certificates in England for years. The A Certificate there is a basic qualification to prove that you can fly a model safely. There are also B and C Certificates for those who want to demonstrate at events where the general public have paid to get in!

http://achievements.bmfa.org/

Too wet and windy for flying today so I'm getting on with building the Cardinal.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:09 AM
skylark-flier

While I'm not a fan of our lunatic govt and their proposed "test" for models, I've got to admit that I went through the BMFA Achievements website and I'M TOTALLY IMPRESSED. It's completely logically laid out, logically goes from one skill level to another, and makes REASONABLE allowances for many circumstances.

THIS test system, I could back in the US.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:46 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
We've had certificates in England for years. The A Certificate there is a basic qualification to prove that you can fly a model safely. There are also B and C Certificates for those who want to demonstrate at events where the general public have paid to get in!

http://achievements.bmfa.org/

Too wet and windy for flying today so I'm getting on with building the Cardinal.
Our clubs in VA had a qualifying flight requirement to be passed before flying without an instructor. Similar to what France requires. I never had to take a higher level test as I never advanced to be a higher level of flyer I guess the turbine waiver is a demonstration of a level of capability needed to fly the more demanding turbine aircraft. Remember all the Vets on this Memorial day
Old 05-29-2016, 04:31 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Yesterday I cut up a bunch of trees. Damn Im getting too old for that sheezt. Worked on my Biper and have it ready to maiden tomorrow. If all goes well, I will finish the decals and cowl. I left the chin piece off and haven't cut the front vent openings yet. Also have a few areas that need touching up with dope. Also have the struts replaced on the P-51 with Robarts, so if the winds are light, I will give it a second flight and hope it flies as well as the first flight. Pretty sure I have the snapping issue resolved, it showed none of that on the last flight, and flew rock solid. As long as grass is short I may even be able to keep it off its nose when I land.

I flew my Something Extra today is 16+ MPH winds. Makes for an interesting experience when the wind tosses that little plane all around. I landed in two hops, and was able to taxi it back without wind catching the tail and flipping it on its nose too. All for a great day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.