Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 05:09 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I had to scroll up after reading a bit to see if it was indeed a model test.

Wow
Old 06-08-2016, 06:36 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I wouldn't be able to pass that exam, that's for sure!

This is how far I've got with the model. Who can resist assembling it when you have got it to this stage?
You mean you ain't done yet?! (Says the guy with this in his signature - "Founder/President of Builders Slower Than a Dead Turtle Nailed to a Fence Post Association").

Mike
Old 06-08-2016, 06:58 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Its a level of achievement not a test for anything specific. I doubt many even bother with it as its not needed as a prerequisite for anything.

Dennis
Old 06-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I used to be a member of a club in England which had 80 members. Perhaps just one or two of them had the C Certificate.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:32 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Well gentlemen In a few days I hit my 75th birthday, and reality struck kinda hard yesterday, my body just can't keep up with what needs to be accomplished around here. I can't move without pain niether can I see very well. cataracts, rhuematism, and a bunch of other stuff has finally beaten me down.

I am not ready for my dirt nap but I will divest of most of my realestate and material holdings and seek a less burdensome situation. I am tired of the rat race and seek a more comfortable situation, can't beat old age.

Yesterday I got a little flight stick time in and it didn't satisfy as much as it used to, maybe I need more time in the air. I got the opportunity to try to see what the FPV thing is all about and it does open a whole new side of flight I had only dreampt about, very interesting! The video freeback was very clear.l
Old 06-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess its true what they say bout old folks, (72 here) most of their conversations revolve around discussing their ailments.
Just renewed my drivers license and the DMV told me I needed glasses to drive, $400.00 later and I drive around with those glasses in my shirt pocket, I need glasses to READ and TV only! Can't go to car or gun shows anymore due to my bad knee and haven't flown in a while for the same reason.
I too have been making preparations for my property, easing the burden on my family.
Yeah, take me back to a happier time, like when I was 15, making out with Liz Cooper with my hand down her...... well, never mind
Old 06-13-2016, 10:23 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Well gentlemen In a few days I hit my 75th birthday, and reality struck kinda hard yesterday, my body just can't keep up with what needs to be accomplished around here. I can't move without pain niether can I see very well. cataracts, rhuematism, and a bunch of other stuff has finally beaten me down.

I am not ready for my dirt nap but I will divest of most of my realestate and material holdings and seek a less burdensome situation. I am tired of the rat race and seek a more comfortable situation, can't beat old age.

Yesterday I got a little flight stick time in and it didn't satisfy as much as it used to, maybe I need more time in the air. I got the opportunity to try to see what the FPV thing is all about and it does open a whole new side of flight I had only dreampt about, very interesting! The video freeback was very clear.l

I am 2 years behind you. Birthday was in May. I know how you feel but I am not ready to give up on my little piece of heaven. I just keep on trucking forward and accept what the old body wants to give.

My current build is coming along. I have the tail surfaces and fuselage done. I need to make my wing jig to build the wing. It will be a tapered swept wing. For the wing jig, I think I may adapt a foam cutting table that I made. This will allow for almost a 48" wing panel. I'll probably stay in the 80" or less wing size. Present build will be about 64".

Not much flying for me these days. Hope to get active again in the next month or so.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:41 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman

Well I hit that milestone in March of this year and can relate to most all of your current ailments and then some, but still I'm far from throwing in the towel just yet.

Have started making plans on getting rid of stuff that I want others to enjoy when I'm not around anymore, but have not taken the initial step to get the ball rolling for real except for giving away three very nice kit build models and a couple glow engines to friends who I know will appreciate them and care them like I did.

In the meanwhile I will continue to enjoy building and flying models until I can't anymore....hopefully that time is still quite a ways away.
Old 06-13-2016, 10:55 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

So you come into this world, peeing and poopin on yourself, aint got half a brain to think with, you grow up, and just as your brain is fully functional, and you gained masses of experience, you are back to peeing and poopin yourself, and the brain starts to go. The Orkans had it right, you are born old and grow young, that way when you are old and retired, you have all the vigor and energy to enjoy it.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

Boy can I relate and I'm only 58! I aggravated my back (Had surgery in 2014 to add rods and screws put in to hold it together) last week, then I over did it cleaning on the garage Saturday and now I'm back on meds and wearing a support brace. I can see it now my 70s are going to be real fun!

Get revenge, live long enough to be burden to your children! Let them get the rare and unforgettable treat of changing your adult diapers ;-)

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 06-13-2016 at 11:14 AM. Reason: tyos
Old 06-13-2016, 11:42 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

AMEN to that! 52 here and back problems as well. Arthritic joints on the lower spine, and degeneration mid back, just at the base of the rib cage. Causes intense spasms on the right side at times, makes me think I am having a gall bladder attack. Sucks getting old,

BUT

I refuse to grow UP!
Old 06-13-2016, 07:02 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in this too, turning 56 this year. I have arthritis in my spine from top to bottom and my disks are falling apart. I had one blow out in my neck 4 years ago that paralyzed my left shoulder and bicep. I went for spinal fusion to repair it and once the pressure was off of the nerves they regenerated enough that I got the use of my arm back. It will never be 100% but it works well and is not noticeable. I also have arthritis in my fingers, shoulders, knees and toes. Walking can be a real chore at times. It changes from day to day. I try not to dwell on it as others have it much worse than I and others have not had the pleasure of even living this long. I find the older I get the more my outlook on life changes and the more I appreciate it and the little things that did not mean so much in the past do now.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:14 PM
FlyerInOKC

I had the left leg go numb and start to drag, I could hardly take a step. After surgery I could cross my legs again. I am learning the hard way I have to be careful what I do physically.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:39 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Well gentlemen, having read all of your recent posts and still being pretty fit at 68, I suppose I should consider myself fortunate, but perhaps it's only a matter of time. I was asked to join a cricket team the other day, a sport I have always loved but I can no longer chase after balls flying to the boundary. Even gardening, another activity I have always enjoyed, is getting harder to do these days. So what's the answer? Keep on doing what you can and loving those who love you. That'll do to be getting on with!
Old 06-14-2016, 03:00 AM
ETpilot

My recipe for old age is to stay physically active and mentally challenged. While I am starting to feel my age I stay physically active on a day to day basis. Right now I am giving thought to how I will adapt my wing jig to my foam cutting table. I want to make it expandable from a 3' jig to a 4' jig. I may get a chance to start on it today.

Last night I was relaxed watching the news. My outside dog alerted to something going on. She has alerted me to 2 skunks that came around. Also a copperhead snake which I killed. Yesterday it was 22 head of cattle with a few babies. I went from a cool calm to a panicked rush. I called their owner and got on my ATV to round them up. It was pretty exciting. That was extra activity for the day. LOL.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:51 AM
donnyman

I have read all your posts and maybe i should not be so grumpy about my aching body. Considering all I've read I am doing ok ....But it still hurts.

Most of the honey do's stareing me in the face have piled up so high I will never catch up. this house of mine will probably crumble around my ears, and the termites are not making it any better.

I have to put a brake system sensor in my motorhome it's jacked up and waiting. yesterday I couldn't get the wheel to come off so one of my younger friends the does auto repair got a hammer (as I did) and tapped the tire ....It fell on the ground, now why didn't it do that for me?

I think I have a tiny receiver coming my way so maybe I will take a building curve (AGAIN!) and cover the FUBAR with some silkspan to keep it as it was in the 50's except this time it will be R/C'd.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:18 AM
donnyman

Carlos Murphy

The Liz Cooper thing....................Well I have been tempted more at this age then ever before from young and old ladies But I have no desire whatsoever to be back in my teens, other than all this pain I enjoy this time in my life and look forward to the end of it

I have experienced what has been described as the out of body event more than once and cried when I was sent back.
What lays ahead is so wonderful it is indescribable.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

I guess we pay for our youthful indiscretions when we get past 50. The abuse we put our bodies thru whether it be sports or what have you comes back to remind us. I try to remain active while still babying my back until it heals, until then I pay the price.

I know a guy who does R/C Estate sales and sometime he gets jems other times junk. On one of his recent P/Us I saw a rough looking used older Saito 150 a while back for about $75 to $85, the hold back someone unqualified has taken it a part. The back cover gasket is thin cardboard and the exhaust pipe and carb are in each other's port into the cylinder. It was dirty but I didn't care about that, it did turn over and had compression. I passed on it since I didn't have the cash. He also had a box containing a disassembled OS/Graupner Wankel 1st generation.Enough back story.

Well I got an interesting email the other day, the guy running the estate sale offered to let me have both engines the Saito 150 mentioned above and the box of parts allegedly to be an OS/Graupner Wankel! He wants to get rid of them he can't even get someone to look at them. So here's the deal I get to keep the Wankel and if I can fix the Saito we can negotiate a price with the estate owner but I got the felling they were righting hem off so I probably won't pay much of anything. If I can't fix them I pitch them with nothing owed or I may find someone looking for parts. I don't have to tell you guys what I answered.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 06-14-2016 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-14-2016, 07:03 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I guess we pay for our youthful indiscretions when we get past 50. The abuse we put our bodies thru whether it be sports or what have you comes back to remind us. I try to remain active while still babying my back until it heals, until then I pay the price.

I know a guy who does R/C Estate sales and sometime he gets jems other times junk. On one of his recent P/Us I saw a rough looking used older Saito 150 a while back for about $75 to $85, the hold back someone unqualified has taken it a part. The back cover gasket is thin cardboard and the exhaust pipe and carb are in each other's port into the cylinder. It was dirty but I didn't care about that, it did turn over and had compression. I passed on it since I didn't have the cash. He also had a box containing a disassembled OS/Graupner Wankel 1st generation.Enough back story.

Well I got an interesting email the other day, the guy running the estate sale offered to let me have both engines the Saito 150 mentioned above and the box of parts allegedly to be an OS/Graupner Wankel! He wants to get rid of them he can't even get someone to look at them. So here's the deal I get to keep the Wankel and if I can fix the Saito we can negotiate a price with the estate owner but I got the felling they were righting hem off so I probably won't pay much of anything. If I can't fix them I pitch them with nothing owed or I may find someone looking for parts. I don't have to tell you guys what I answered.
I have wankels and will take the one you have if the price isn't too high, I need parts.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

PM me Donny and name you price. I will be picking it up probably this weekend and can send pictures if you like.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:07 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HANG IN THAR DONNY I AM 87 & BUILDING & FLYING KEEPS ME GOING. TRy Sam events & planes 1/2 a & :a: texaco planes, not too expensive & a hell of a lot of fun & comeradere. lay'd back modeling. frankie trainermaster80
Old 06-14-2016, 03:46 PM
rt3232

As I am not good with words, I have read the last page of post twice and have laughed a great deal with this reading. So I am 84 and the body is really paying me back for the abuse I gave it in my youth, but still working part time and building still trying to keep the honey do list to one page, and as for the yard I still mow it but it now takes me 3 time's along between the wife and I we have given up on the flower beds and now just perennials, all with a bit of hart problems arth-er-itus (spelling on purpose) in all joints along with meniers and hearing problems
I think activity is our best for the bodies and mind, the mind goes into over time when I see a good looking young and well built lady

Cheers Keep smiling and one foot in front of the other

Bob T

PS I am currently building a 1/4 size super cub from a balsa usa j=3 kit with as much scale as my skills will alow

Last edited by rt3232; 06-14-2016 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:24 AM
ETpilot

Donny,

Termites sure are a problem. I've had small battles with them. You need to check the perimeter of the structure. Look for mud type tunnels leading from the ground to the structure. That is their entry point. If structure is raised you need to check in the crawl space too.

Once you you find them break up the tunnel then spray with diesel fuel. They sure don't like diesel. I had a spot in my workshop where they entered. I sprayed every tunnel I could find inside n out. No more termites. You may have to deal with the diesel smell for a short while

When I weed-eat around the place I am always looking for those tunnels. I also keep the ground level a little below the foundation. That way I can see them easily. I have a friend whose house I check in the crawl space. I recently cured an ant problem for them again with diesel.

Anyway, hope some of this helps.
Old 06-15-2016, 06:24 AM
rt3232

Termites hear in M N I am not aware that we have them I think it mat be the cold winters , but ants we have the little red buggers and the make there homes under concrete ( my drive way) and it is a yearly thing to go after them in the spring I have a little drip unit that I set up over there exit hole so the saturation spreads I leave it drip for about 6 hours new hole about each week, and after the forth move they seam to disappear for the rest of the summer this has been my routine for the last 10 years

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-15-2016, 02:15 PM
donnyman

Trainermaster80

I have no choice but to hang in I haven't built all my kits yet. I will probably be 187 yrs. old before I come close to scratch building from all the plans I accumulated.

You have the blessing of longevity. Many happy more to you!

RT3232

Not good with Words When? your posts reads pretty cool to me. At 84 and still mowing the lawn? You make me feel a little guilty I just paid a crew $ 350 to do mine (acres) I told my wife doing lawns ain't in my repetoire. When I am in the mood I will whip out my bushhog but I don't make a habit of it. Now that good looking young and well built situation..YEA! I ain't dead yet! but the only thing that is still functioning is my mind cause cataracts blur my sight.

Now as to termites that's a on going battle, I have some pretty powerful stuff to combat them but they just move somewhere else so I am ordering a killer that does not repulse them and they track it back to the nest and spread it around eventually it's lights out for the whole colony, the type termies I have don't tunnel much but build a nest in the wood of the structure so you have to do the whole place. I have the exterior protected...............I hope.

The honey do's spelled "motorhome" is kickin my --------- getting parts is hard but getting the right parts is worse been searching for the brake sensors for the ABS system for more the two months. meanwhile I am replacing the generator starter which they switch the part number four times in recent history. Have you noticed getting parts to make repairs is getting harder? It's buy ,use, throw it away and buy another. In contrast to what The Cubans have been doing so well for years.

I'm going to the shop to bust some balsa!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.