Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 11:31 AM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

donnyman, glad to se you are still hanging in there. i had my cateracts done via lazer. fast & worked great. loss of night vision can sometimes be related to macular degeneration. 5 yrs ago i was diagnosed with mild macular degeneration. dr prescribed over the counter areds 2 preservision. 2 per day.
no change of my macular in 5 trs. so it is working for me.
now, back to the dynaflite super decathlon kit. am getting somewhat back to normal after my wifes passing & hane jus about finished the second 1/2 of the wing, i had bought some dubro cotter pin hinges that turned out to be real stiff& clicked. a call to dubro brought excellent replace ments, it is good to know that in this day & age that there is a company that cares about it's customers. i am really anxious to finish the decath. hope all your future plans work out for you. frankie trainermaster80

Last edited by trainermaster80; 06-24-2016 at 11:33 AM. Reason: left out recipiants name
Old 06-24-2016, 11:45 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
donnyman, glad to se you are still hanging in there. i had my cateracts done via lazer. fast & worked great. loss of night vision can sometimes be related to macular degeneration. 5 yrs ago i was diagnosed with mild macular degeneration. dr prescribed over the counter areds 2 preservision. 2 per day.
no change of my macular in 5 trs. so it is working for me.
now, back to the dynaflite super decathlon kit. am getting somewhat back to normal after my wifes passing & hane jus about finished the second 1/2 of the wing, i had bought some dubro cotter pin hinges that turned out to be real stiff& clicked. a call to dubro brought excellent replace ments, it is good to know that in this day & age that there is a company that cares about it's customers. i am really anxious to finish the decath. hope all your future plans work out for you. frankie trainermaster80
My mother in-law was in the clinical trials of AREDS 2 and it really help in stopping the progression. Since then my wife and her sister have both been diagnosed with Macular Degeneration and are taking AREDS 2. So far it has stopped or slowed the progression greatly.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:13 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all you old timers been away for a bit, and you guys wander all over with the conversation So I am in the process of building a semi scale 1/4 super cub and have a ball doing it, But the only thing is I have menieres disease a balance problem, most people call it dizzyness and right know it is giving me fits, and by concentrating on something for me it tends to relive it.

Bashing a J- 3 kit to a super cub is quite a challenge just getting the out lines right correct as there was 3 variants manufactured by piper all called the pa-18 so it has been fun trying to keep them straight

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-26-2016, 09:37 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Flew the Senior Telemaster and the WOT 4 XL this afternoon. A clubmate was very interested in the STM and wanted the plan. I used to sell them but I'll probably just give him a plan, he was talking about having it copied anyway.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	STM.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	2169746   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOT 4 XL.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	2169747  
Old 06-26-2016, 12:50 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Flew the Senior Telemaster and the WOT 4 XL this afternoon. A clubmate was very interested in the STM and wanted the plan. I used to sell them but I'll probably just give him a plan, he was talking about having it copied anyway.

Was thinking of you when I heard of the UK leaving the EU, .... Do you think you will be adversley affected? I can only assume what the results will be with this change, the stock market here is in a tizzy (as usual)

The senior telemaster is one big plane, my neighbor had one some time back and it was relaxing to flying.

I had another weak spell and could not resist the temptation to purchase this I was really surprised when I realized it to be a 80 inch (203.2 cm) kit and not a ARF. The box weights a ton. I will add it to my pile of "to be built stuff"

Name:	DSCF0454.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	3.89 MB
ID:	2169762  
Old 06-26-2016, 09:06 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Morning Donny! I doubt that I will be much affected by the Brexit. I have decided to live the rest of my life in France, I have a reasonable pension, house prices are much lower than in England, property taxes are lower, you don't have to tax your car, wine is cheap, the weather's better and all those little size eights and tens walking about are very agreeable on the eye!

The Pound has fallen against the Euro but it has been very volatile over the past nine months or so ranging in price from 1.20€ to 1.43€. On Saturday it was trading at 1.23€. If it remains at a low rate my pension will obviously be worth less but I do not live particularly extravagantly so I should be ok. I moved a good deal of my savings from Sterling into Euros the day before the Brexit when the Pound was worth 1.30€. I only wish now that I'd transferred more! Perhaps I should start a post retirement career as an international currency speculator!

I went into the local bar to watch a football match on Saturday: the European Championships are taking place in France at the moment. I was subjected to a fair bit of good-natured banter along the lines that the French were going to block the Channel Tunnel! However, there were two other Englishmen in the bar, one of whom was brought up here so speaks French fluently, indeed, his English has acquired a slight French accent! He said that property prices will fall because once Great Britain leaves the European Union, owners of holiday homes will have to pay higher property taxes because the owners will no longer be residents of the EU. Suits me as I'm looking to buy a house, indeed I've put in an offer on one which the owner is considering.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:02 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by rt3232
But the only thing is I have menieres disease a balance problem, most people call it dizzyness and right know it is giving me fits, and by concentrating on something for me it tends to relive it.Cheers Bob T
Better "Dizzy" then "Daffy"! ;-)
Old 06-27-2016, 04:13 PM
rt3232

FlyerinOkc

The biggest problem at my age some ( kids and good friends and a few club members ) think I am Daffy any way, and I hope all in good fun. .But the meniers thingy is imagine the worst drunk you have ever had or seen you can see up but you cannot get up or even roll over even on your hand and knees it's a *****

Cheers Bob t
Old 06-27-2016, 08:06 PM
FlyerInOKC

I worked with a guy once who went to a party and tied one on. He thought he was dancing until someone stepped on his hands!

I started building tail feather tonight, her are the photos.[ATTACH]2170039[/IMG][ATTACH]2170040[/IMG]

Name:	P1100781.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	2170039   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100783.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	2170040  
Old 06-28-2016, 03:47 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Older Timers.. we talking about the pilot or the plane
Old 06-28-2016, 04:44 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Pond Skipper
Older Timers.. we talking about the pilot or the plane
In this thread probably both!
Old 06-28-2016, 08:06 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

That would be about right!

[ATTACH]2170240[/IMG]

Name:	Radio Queen and T240, Forton, 2007..jpg
Views:	42
Size:	354.6 KB
ID:	2170240  
Old 06-29-2016, 07:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

That would be about right!

[ATTACH]2170240[/IMG]

Nice brace of aircraft you have there! But this knobby knees and skinny bright white legs must blind your club mates and wreak terror in their hearts! ;-)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:00 AM
H5487

I just found this thread. What a great bunch of memories!

My humble beginning with flyable models began with a Guillow's Spitfire kit when I was in 6th grade (1965). I went on to build many more of Guillow's freeflight kits, although none were powered because I couldn't afford a Cox .010 or .020. I switched to u-control when I bought a plastic Cox .049-powered Stuka. It didn't fly worth a hoot (or maybe it was just me) but I was hooked on nitro! I used that engine to power a gaggle of self-designed balsa ukies throughout junior high. (Looking back, most of those homemade ukies flew pretty well, albeit probably more from sheer centrifugal force than true aerodynamics! )

My first R/C rig was a second-hand 4-channel Digitrio and I built a Goldberg Falcon 56 for it. Put an OS .30 on it and promptly learned the fine art of teaching myself how to crash. I had to shelve the hobby when I entered the USAF in 1971 and didn't return to it until 2003.

The Digitrio's long gone (why, oh why did I ever let it go???) but I've still got that Falcon and OS 30. And somewhere in all my boxes of stuff, I've still got the Cox .049 that started it all!

Harvey
Old 06-29-2016, 12:38 PM
donnyman

Hello H5487

The cox 049 is forever, I started with a Spitzy .045 and thought I was in heaven got it in the air maybe twice as best my memory serves me, but I ran the compression out of it, still have it. My son had the falcon with the O.S. 30, it was a fantastic experience right up to the wings folding..

I did the air force also before that I sold plastic stuka's but never saw one fly, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Stay in touch...........Good hearing from you!
Old 06-29-2016, 01:02 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I remember my first balsa model was a Comet high wing plane. I don't recall the exact model. that was probably around 1970 when I was 9. I built numerous Comet and Guillow's kits from that point on. I don't remember any of them ever flying more than about fifteen feet! And those were the good flyers!
I also had a couple of the plastic Cox U-control models. They never flew very well either.
Back in the late 90's-2000 I was a member of the local RC club learning to fly. Life, career changes and everything else got in the way, so I dropped out of the hobby for several years. Now I'm slowly getting back in.
That first model has proven to be very costly as the years have gone by.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:29 PM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like my first kit!

Name:	ryan_sc_400.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	2170394  
Old 06-29-2016, 02:22 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

That 16" winspan Comet Ryan SC was my first balsa & tissue kit, too,FlyerInOKC!

Was kind of gaudy looking with the supplied black tissue, but as a 4th or 5th grader, I was very proud of it.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 06-30-2016 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Nice brace of aircraft you have there! But this knobby knees and skinny bright white legs must blind your club mates and wreak terror in their hearts! ;-)
They once wreaked terror into the hearts of opposing rugby teams! I was a useful scrum-half in my youth and early maturity.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:04 PM
FlyerInOKC

They once wreaked terror into the hearts of opposing rugby teams! I was a useful scrum-half in my youth and early maturity.
Truth be known my wife and kids have banned me from wearing shorts they think I'll blind someone.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:04 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
I remember my first balsa model was a Comet high wing plane. I don't recall the exact model. that was probably around 1970 when I was 9. I built numerous Comet and Guillow's kits from that point on. I don't remember any of them ever flying more than about fifteen feet! And those were the good flyers!
I also had a couple of the plastic Cox U-control models. They never flew very well either.
Back in the late 90's-2000 I was a member of the local RC club learning to fly. Life, career changes and everything else got in the way, so I dropped out of the hobby for several years. Now I'm slowly getting back in.
That first model has proven to be very costly as the years have gone by.
Getting back into modeling can be a kick in the pocket......What are you flying now?

You may cut your cost by picking stuff up at swap meets but be careful there is a lot of junk out there.

Good luck and welcome back.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:08 AM
donnyman

We don't play much rugby here......Whatsa SCRUM-HALF???

That field in the picture you posted is very pretty It looks to be a ideal place to fly.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:36 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by donnyman
We don't play much rugby here......Whatsa SCRUM-HALF???

That field in the picture you posted is very pretty It looks to be a ideal place to fly.
The scrum-half is a pivotal position in a rugby team. He is responsible for putting the ball into the scrum, and assuming that his forwards win the ball, he then has to decide whether to run with the ball, pass the ball or kick the ball. We did a lot more kicking in my day, the rules have changed a bit in the last forty years, modern scrum-halfs usually pass the ball, but even then you have to decide whether to pass to the "open side" where there is lots of space or to the "blind side" were space is limited. Of course the opposition will have deployed most of its defence on the open side but if you decide to "go blind" the opposition has more chance of bundling your player into touch and bringing the play to an end. The scum-half is also responsible for retrieving the ball from "rucks" and "mauls" which may perhaps be described as "informal scrums," then he has to decide whether to kick, run or pass.

He is often one of the smallest men in the team, he is chosen for his agility, speed, ball-handling and kicking skills. I won't go on to about the various merits of arrowhead and blitz defences!

The flying field is at Forton Aerodrome near Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England. It is an old WW2 training aerodrome where the leading allied fighter pilot Pierre Clostermann first flew a Spitfire. http://smfc.biz/

My French club's website is here:http://berrymarchemodelisme.free.fr/ Incidentally , we gained our second English member yesterday, a guy called Daniel Hunn, who has taken early retirement.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 06-30-2016 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:05 PM
H5487

The scrum-half is a pivotal position in a rugby team. He is responsible for putting the ball into the scrum, and assuming that his forwards win the ball, he then has to decide whether to run with the ball, pass the ball or kick the ball. We did a lot more kicking in my day, the rules have changed a bit in the last forty years, modern scrum-halfs usually pass the ball, but even then you have to decide whether to pass to the "open side" where there is lots of space or to the "blind side" were space is limited. Of course the opposition will have deployed most of its defence on the open side but if you decide to "go blind" the opposition has more chance of bundling your player into touch and bringing the play to an end. The scum-half is also responsible for retrieving the ball from "rucks" and "mauls" which may perhaps be described as "informal scrums," then he has to decide whether to kick, run or pass.
Donnyman, you couldn't leave it alone, could you? You couldn't just smile, nod, and walk away could you? You just HAD to ask him what he was talking about, didn't you?

The flying field is at Forton Aerodrome near Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England. It is an old WW2 training aerodrome where the leading allied fighter pilot Pierre Clostermann first flew a Spitfire.
All kidding aside, THAT is waaaaayyyy cool!!!

Harvey

Last edited by H5487; 06-30-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:56 PM
rt3232

Well for what it's worth I was laughing all the way to the end of the Telemaster's post as I have friend in OZ that describes things the same way, and as I have watched several games, and to play that game you need to be a bit loose in the mind

Now about that comet kit I don't remember mine being in color just red on a white box, but they were great fun.

Cheers Bob T

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.