Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 07-13-2016, 08:38 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Those are nice drawing Donny!
Yeah, I have a thing for a good set of drawings, and they are high quality. Just beautiful and loaded with info. one could build from them to any level of scale they wish.

I have a scale drawing of the P-38 that is fantastic and I just like looking them over from time to time.

It is a pastime of mine to keep a cache of drawings of everything that catches my eye so I have loads of them but it is better when I can share them with others.

enjoy!
Old 07-13-2016, 09:06 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

I'll bet that P-38 must be something else, which P-38 model is it? I think the "H" and the "J" are the most common. If you ever can get to Colorado Springs be sure and visit the museum there they have an agreement with the restorer next door and you can see the P-38s they are restoring to flying condition.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:44 AM
donnyman

It was my intent to show a copy of the scale 3 view detail I have on the P-38 but it wont load, but trust me they are really nice.

How is the build you are doing coming along?
Old 07-14-2016, 09:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
It was my intent to show a copy of the scale 3 view detail I have on the P-38 but it wont load, but trust me they are really nice.

How is the build you are doing coming along?
Slow I have been out of town the the lat 2 weekends and I have to go to Kansas this weekend at my grandson's and foster Grandson's request to attend their Baptism. So no work this weekend.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:16 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I haven't done much with the computer lately because the old Dell died. I bought a new HP it has Windows 10 and I just can't get it do what I need. I down loaded the Sonny Play Memories and I hook up the camera but it will not lode the pictures. I have a HP printer and The computer just seems to decide what it will or won't print. There seems to be no rime or reason to the stupid things it dose or doesn't do. I have been working on the Cub, been doping and sanding. I am having trouble with my shoulders and the sanding is going really slow. I am hoping for dryer weather next week should be better for doping.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:22 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
I haven't done much with the computer lately because the old Dell died. I bought a new HP it has Windows 10 and I just can't get it do what I need. I down loaded the Sonny Play Memories and I hook up the camera but it will not lode the pictures. I have a HP printer and The computer just seems to decide what it will or won't print. There seems to be no rime or reason to the stupid things it dose or doesn't do. I have been working on the Cub, been doping and sanding. I am having trouble with my shoulders and the sanding is going really slow. I am hoping for dryer weather next week should be better for doping.
Sounds like a Windows 10 machine! Check the manufacturer's website to see if they have new Win 10 drivers.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:24 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Windows 10 SUCKS!!!!

I hate it

It is the WORST!

I had to replace my other laptop because windows 10 upgrade bricked it.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:56 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
Windows 10 SUCKS!!!!

I hate it

It is the WORST!

I had to replace my other laptop because windows 10 upgrade bricked it.
We can agree on that! I have had to do so much rebooting of my systems using windows I had to completely get away from it. There seems to be a finite life to that program onces it hits the age you can kiss it goodbye! and the new levels will not function with your old programs. which really bugs me , I finally get good with a program and some upgrade I didn't want or need wont let me access it any longer.

And it's a memory hog!

I let my son handle my computers he used to work at dell which is as good a computer as any and they make them right here so getting one is easy.

As to a operating system we now use UBUNTU it's different so a learning curve is necessary but now that I can communicate with it I love it. I haven't been able to get autocad to run but most everything else is fine for more than two years now I don't see any windows programs being used by me any time soon.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:35 AM
finewayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's so many reasons not to upgrade to Windows 10
Old 07-18-2016, 05:15 AM
donnyman

Remember this picture from post 2712? that is how it arrived to me. Upon

teardown I found this, It took a fair amount of cleaning to get to this stage

and It isn't finished, I need bolts for the backplate, they had to be drilled out. It spins freely without the glow plug.

What do you think Mike?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wankel .JPG
Views:	268
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	2173436   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0467.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	2173437   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0478.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	2173439  

Last edited by donnyman; 07-18-2016 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:31 AM
H5487

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

been meaning to send this to you I truly enjoy a good set of drawings, these are good!
Wow! They're suitable for framing!!!

Harvey
Old 07-18-2016, 05:49 AM
FlyerInOKC

Remember this picture from post 2712? that is how it arrived to me. Upon

teardown I found this, It took a fair amount of cleaning to get to this stage

and It isn't finished, I need bolts for the backplate, they had to be drilled out. It spins freely without the glow plug.

What do you think Mike?
Nice job Donny! I now have hope you can get her to run!

I'm sure you all heard thwe good news about the newly restored B-29 "Doc" flying in Wichita on Sunday, but did you know Westpac in Colorado Springs got the P-38 "White 33" flying?! See Below:

http://www.b-29doc.com/

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Res...387174472.html

http://westpacrestorations.com/index...tning-white-33

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 07-18-2016 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2016, 07:37 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

It took a fair amount of cleaning to get to this stage and It isn't finished, I need bolts for the backplate, they had to be drilled out. It spins freely without the glow plug. What do you think Mike?

Don't know what Mike thinks, Donny, but it looks sexy. Nick Ziroli had an article of it mounted to an F4F Wildcat I believe, engine was powerful, had no vices. Only caveat was cost. Now one goes for close to $500 for an engine 1/5th the cost does the same. Still, they are a nice 4 cycle engine. Would look good in a radial cowled warbird or golden era aircraft.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:55 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Nice job Donny! I now have hope you can get her to run!

I'm sure you all heard thwe good news about the newly restored B-29 "Doc" flying in Wichita on Sunday, but did you know Westpac in Colorado Springs got the P-38 "White 33" flying?! See Below:

http://www.b-29doc.com/

http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Res...387174472.html

http://westpacrestorations.com/index...tning-white-33

Great to see Doc flying again! We now have TWO B-29's in flying status, great achievement.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:18 AM
FlyerInOKC

I remember when the Wankel first came out they were very popular with DC-3 builders. It looks like Donny is well on the way to get this one running again!
Old 07-18-2016, 10:01 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by finewayne
there's so many reasons not to upgrade to Windows 10
There are many more reasons to upgrade. A lot of people just won't take the time to learn how to use it properly. One real nice thing about it is if you have a program that will only work in an older version of Windows (e.g. XP or 7) you just tell the system that and it takes care of all the problems for you.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:47 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Don't know what Mike thinks, Donny, but it looks sexy. Nick Ziroli had an article of it mounted to an F4F Wildcat I believe, engine was powerful, had no vices. Only caveat was cost. Now one goes for close to $500 for an engine 1/5th the cost does the same. Still, they are a nice 4 cycle engine. Would look good in a radial cowled warbird or golden era aircraft.
Hello George

I saw the ziroli F4F article It was part of my fascination for this engine The first two I owned powered my Royal B-25, most everyone said they wouldn't fly it but quite the contrary occurred. they yanked the B-25 around with authority and sounded quite different. I have never been disapointed with them except the fuel consumption is on the high side.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:26 PM
GallopingGhostler

I have never been disappointed with them except the fuel consumption is on the high side.
That B-25 would have been quite a sight to see and I would have enjoyed hearing the whine of both rotaries. Interesting you mention fuel consumption Donny. This was the same problem they had with the Mazda RX-2 and RX-3 of the 1970's. Those didn't get good gas mileage either, although engines were powerful.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:13 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
There are many more reasons to upgrade. A lot of people just won't take the time to learn how to use it properly. One real nice thing about it is if you have a program that will only work in an older version of Windows (e.g. XP or 7) you just tell the system that and it takes care of all the problems for you.
There is a book out, actually bought it at Barnes & Noble, that is almost a must have for Windows 10. Almost had to laugh at the intro, claimed the book should have been included with every Windows 10 computer as an operator's manual. Anyway, here's the link:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/windows-10-david-pogue/1121906765?ean=9781491947173

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-18-2016 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:18 PM
GallopingGhostler

Good you found something to help cope with Win10. Personally, I decided not to upgrade. My 9 year old desktop (2.9ghz AMD dual core) and two 8 YO netbooks (ASUS 4G Surf & ASUS Aspire One) are running just fine on Ubuntu variants (Xubuntu and Lubuntu for older PC's). These can't be upgraded to Win7 or Win10 due to insufficient ram and netbook processors are too slow (mono-core 900mhz & 1.6ghz). I use my Android cell to access my bluetooth fitness bracelet. LibreOffice is MS Office like and meets my needs, use FireFox and Chromium (Chrome variant) to browse the Net.

The desktop is dual boot with XP, used only for games and updating my GPS. My next PC will probably be a Chromebook.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:21 AM
donnyman

Hey george H.

I am with you on the Ubuntu program, not that i understand all the tech. stuff you said. but the ubuntu -firefox thing has me happy and it doesn't breakdown every year or so.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:22 AM
GallopingGhostler

Hey george H. I am with you on the Ubuntu program, not that i understand all the tech. stuff you said. but the ubuntu -firefox thing has me happy and it doesn't breakdown every year or so.
That what you say Donny, is definitely true. I've had more luck and peace of mind with Linux than I have had with Windows, hence why I rarely use it except for stuff that won't run in Linux, which is very few apps these days. Occasionally I'll get a comment that I have to pay my dues, the Microsoft "tax" by upgrading hardware, buying the so called "market leader's" operating systems and software. That is nonsense, I don't owe the rich man anything.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:01 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

Good day gentlemen! To return to aeromodelling matters, the following story may prove instructive. I've copied it from a post which I put on a British website. However experienced we are, we are still capable of making beginners' errors.

[TABLE="class: StdText"]
[TR="class: RowStylePosting"]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="class: ForumPostingBox"]I cannot remember how many models I have built since that first Keil Kraft Ajax in 1959 but it must be at least thirty. One day I will make up a list from memory. Suffice it to say that I consider myself to be an experienced builder. I am currently building a Roy Scott BE2e which is a scale biplane with a 2 metre wingspan. Simultaneously I am building a little Veron Cardinal which is a vintage high-wing monoplane of less than half that size.

For Christmas I treated myself to a Chris Foss WOT 4 XL ARTF and fitted an Enya 120 FS.I maidened it last month and found that it flew beautifully like all of Chris Foss's designs. I have assembled ARTFs before and this one went together easily.

About a month ago I ceased to be the only Englishman in my club, here in the middle of France, when chap called Daniel joined. Daniel had a couple of Flair Scouts in his van and an ARTF WOTs WOT. As well as being a good builder, it was obvious that he was a better pilot than I am, so last Saturday I asked him whether he'd like to fly my XL. I took off, flew a circuit, handed him the transmitter and when I was sure that he'd got the hang of the thing, I walked off to my van to fetch my sunglasses.

When I next looked up I could see that something was flapping about at the back of the model and that Daniel was struggling to control it. However he got it down to a safe landing and that's when we discovered that THE ENTIRE FIN HAD BROKEN AWAY!! .

The base of the fin was still attached to the fuselage but it had sheered off neatly where it met the top of the fuselage. I doubt that I could have landed the model in the same situation.

It was obvious that despite all of my experience I must have made a beginner's mistake and cut into the balsa of the fin when removing the covering to provide a wood-to-wood glueing surface. This had obviously weakened the structure to such a degree that the fin worked loose then broke away from the rudder which then flapped about in the slipstream as Daniel brought it in to land.

Lesson learned. Now what does a WOT 4 fin look like? .

The picture below shows the model ready for repair. The base of the fin which was still glued to the model at the time of the incident, has been removed.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 07-20-2016, 12:12 PM
FlyerInOKC

I'll bet that was one interesting landing!
Old 07-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

It was at 90 degrees to the runway but he got it down on its wheels and didn't even break the prop as you can see in the picture.

As I said in the post above, I don't think that I could have landed it.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 07-21-2016 at 01:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.