Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 07-21-2016, 05:12 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
It was at 90 degrees to the runway but he got it down on its wheels and didn't even break the prop as you can see in the picture.

As I said in the post above, I don't think that I could have landed it.
I would agree with you I don't think I could have gotten down in one piece either!
Old 07-21-2016, 09:41 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Crippled planes are so much fun to fly. They do show you how good of a pilot you are. Flying is easy, it is when it all goes bad do you see your skills.

I had the top 1/3 of the covering come of my Old Jr Tiger. Full aileron, rudder 98% of elevator, I was able to steer it to a bush landing. Hit the bush at 40 mph plus. Still in one piece so I call that a GOOD landing

Flying my Formula 3D for the second time. Was just testing the stall and snaps. After about 5 minutes she is not flying well. Lots of adverse yaw. A little left aileron, plane would yaw right and then sort of snap to the left bank. Knew something was funky so I bring it in. The internal structure around the vertical fell apart. No glue in there to hold it together. Vertical and rudder were laid over at about 60%. Give a little rudder stick and it flopped to the other side.

Coming in for a landing. was up about 100 feet or so. Pulled a little elevator to slow approach. Plane ballooned, wing flipped under the plane and it was a perfect 1 point lawn dart landing.

Good job of getting your plane back. You would be surprised at well you can fly when forced to do so. Fly it all the way down, never give up.

Buzz.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
Crippled planes are so much fun to fly. They do show you how good of a pilot you are. Flying is easy, it is when it all goes bad do you see your skills.

I had the top 1/3 of the covering come of my Old Jr Tiger. Full aileron, rudder 98% of elevator, I was able to steer it to a bush landing. Hit the bush at 40 mph plus. Still in one piece so I call that a GOOD landing

Flying my Formula 3D for the second time. Was just testing the stall and snaps. After about 5 minutes she is not flying well. Lots of adverse yaw. A little left aileron, plane would yaw right and then sort of snap to the left bank. Knew something was funky so I bring it in. The internal structure around the vertical fell apart. No glue in there to hold it together. Vertical and rudder were laid over at about 60%. Give a little rudder stick and it flopped to the other side.

Coming in for a landing. was up about 100 feet or so. Pulled a little elevator to slow approach. Plane ballooned, wing flipped under the plane and it was a perfect 1 point lawn dart landing.

Good job of getting your plane back. You would be surprised at well you can fly when forced to do so. Fly it all the way down, never give up.

Buzz.
I wish you had pictures of the aftermath!
Old 07-21-2016, 06:08 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Yeah, when I maidened my Biper Cub, it turned out to be tail heavy. I dang near had it on the ground, had it on approach, and some fool drove a bobcat across the runway right in front of me. Before I could make it come back around, some damned dog came out of no where and was sniffing my leg, then something failed on the wing and it kept snapping left, and I finally just chopped throttle and let it fall. Did some damage, but a couple hours and it can fly again, but not as a bipe.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:53 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard

Buzz.
Actually, another bloke was flying my model at the time. As I have said twice above, I doubt if I could have brought it down in one piece.

As for lawn darts take a look at my Telemaster 40. The wing came off when I was demonstrating it to a not-very-skillful pilot in the hope that he'd buy it off me! I wasn't skillful enough to land this one either!

I am currently making up a new fin for the WOT 4 XL. It will be much more substantially reinforced where it meets the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RIP T40 (1).jpg
Views:	129
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	2173935   Click image for larger version

Name:	RIP T40 (3).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2173936  

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 07-22-2016 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-22-2016, 03:24 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Lawn darting seems to be a common aerobatic manoeuvrer. Here's the result of a similar well executed Figure Nine by my Norvel .061 powered 36" (915 mm) Lee Renaud Airtronics Q-Tee parasol. Being that it weighs but a pound (0.45 kg) explains why that it didn't quite rekit itself like an aircraft twice its size and 6 times its weight would.

Name:	SSPX0004.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	2173946  
Old 07-22-2016, 04:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

Telemaster I would say that is a bonafide rekit if I ever saw one! I once did the same to a .25 plywood fuselage J-3 and got the same results.

Ghost that is just plane UGLY! I have a Rascal C in similar shape after it feel off the overhead storage rank in the garage, life sucks!
Old 07-22-2016, 11:47 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hay you guys you give up to easy those were just minor damage, all that is needed is some duct tape

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-24-2016, 10:41 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Has anyone noticed how written responses are limlted?

like a picture posted has 20 or more views but not one written response. this seems odd to me, I can only guess lurking is much easier/popular than particpating. very much like my non response to the lawn dart pics above.
Old 07-24-2016, 11:43 AM
GallopingGhostler

Some of those counts may be from scan engines (Google, Yahoo, etc.)
Old 07-24-2016, 11:46 AM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Here is an expensive lawn dart for you. Battery failure, one of the batteries had failed and I was only flying on one battery instead of two. So I was flying with much less capacity than expected. On the 3rd or 4th flight the good battery ran out of power during a vertical climb 200' over the center of the field. As soon as the power expander sensed the failure it shut off the engine. The plane rolled over at the peak and did a near vertical dive right at our flight line. Thankfully it was a weekday and there was only a couple of us there and we just moved out of the way as it came screaming down. This is the aftermath of what was a 100cc Aeroworks Yak 54.

Name:	0806001148.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	2174242   Click image for larger version

Name:	0806001149a.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	2174243   Click image for larger version

Name:	0806001149b.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	2174244   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000292.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	2174245  
Old 07-24-2016, 01:52 PM
jwfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been enjoying the hobby for 30 plus years. This plane, old royal kit has been around for almost half of those 

https://youtu.be/XQDoM5cfmoE

Last edited by jwfly; 07-24-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 02:13 PM
Super08

Royal kits were great. I had a 60 size Royal P51. They were a bunch of work to build as they used quite a bit of block construction. They flew well, looked good, and were strong. A very good friend of mine built the Royal DC-3 back around '83 that he still had when he passed away two months ago. It was stunning and he never did fly it, he couldn't overcome the fear of crashing it. Here a picture of it at an airshow that our club had a display set up.

Name:	Bruce DC3.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	508.4 KB
ID:	2174267  
Old 07-24-2016, 06:04 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jwfly
Been enjoying the hobby for 30 plus years. This plane, old royal kit has been around for almost half of those 

https://youtu.be/XQDoM5cfmoE

Really nice

~https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcJyk9R_foU

Last edited by Joe Fisher; 07-24-2016 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2016, 07:48 PM
jwfly

what become of the plane?
Old 07-25-2016, 03:31 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

Yesterday our club held a "vide grenier" in the hamlet of Lignaud. "Vide grenier" loosely translated means "empty the attic." This is an annual event and attracts locals who just want to make a little money out of selling things they no longer need, and "professionals" who sell a wide variety of things including, tools, books, antiques, costume jewelry, fishing tackle and clothing. The president of our club took a stall and was selling a lot of his old glow stuff. I bought eleven wheels, two undercarriages, two propellers and three engines for 5€ which is $5.50 US or £4.18 Sterling. I'm too old and set in my ways to use the modern abbreviation GBP!

Two of the engines are an Enya 45 Series 2 Model 6002 and an OS Max 40 SR. Both are seized but I expect that's just the castor oil. The Enya lacks a carburetter and has a broken lug which can easily be repaired by someone who is able to weld aluminium. The OS is complete but with a damaged exhaust port. A good strap-on silencer should take care of that. I've owned one of these engines in the past and it ran superbly but I lent it to a friend to power a Flair Hooligan. He died before he finished the model and I was allowed to take it away, but the engine was nowhere to be seen!

However, the third engine is a beauty. An OS Max V 40 rear exhaust engine in virtually as new condition. Turns over, loads of compression, it just needs a clean.

Now gentlemen, what shall I put it in?

It was a hot day again yesterday. We ran a bar. We sold over 1200€ worth of drinks to swell the club's coffers!
Old 07-25-2016, 03:55 AM
rt3232

Hay telemaster

If you have an old crookpot put those engines in and fill with about 50/50 antifreeze for aluminum and cook on low for about 4hrs, remove clean with plain water and add a bit of after run oil and they will be as good as new, I / we our club has been doing this for the last 15 years and have rexerected a bunch of engines that were thought to be shot even some ringed engines

Saves a lot of work with dis and re assembly

Cheers Bob t

PS don't ever use the pot again
Old 07-25-2016, 04:55 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rt3232

PS don't ever use the pot again
Good plan, do not ever use the pot again for food or leave it so children or pets can drink the mix.!!!! OK to use it again for "cooking" engines. Don't let the AF boil or it will turn some aluminum alloys to dark gray.

Vbr, Richard
Old 07-25-2016, 05:15 AM
GallopingGhostler

An old coffee percolator works as well as a crockpot, plus it uses less solution. I use an old Polyperk. Use it without the percolator basket and riser pipe, not needed. Once solution heats to boiling, it goes into warming mode. Since it uses less solution, practical limit is once, may be twice and no more, toss out the old solution and use new for the next engine. Else, next engine gets coated with the Castor glop that was removed from the previous engines.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

I find baking in the oven at 250 F or 120 C for an hour will free them up nicely so you can work oil thru them.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 PM
Dolphpb

Ok, I'll throw my 2 cents in...I'm just barely into the 50 club, but a friend of mine and I started flying a new fangled circle jerk plane. The Cox P40 Warhawk, with a finger eating .049 that would make your forearms look like Popeye from all the flipping. Then the motor would come to life and the plane would roar off into a large arcing loop only to land on the other side of the circle in a smoking heap. My father had many engines I would "flip" over and imagine them flying a Taylor craft or a Cub free flight. Engines like OK, Ohlson and my fathers ram jet, (that made my mother drop to her knees and start praying when she heard it light up). My first RC plane was a Goldberg Eaglet that I traded an RC buggy, the Tamiya Frog, straight up for. I found a guy that would help me fly it and after coming out of a loop, heard this very loud "Bang" (like a shotgun) and watched as the covering on the right wing half instantaneously disintegrate. The guy must have been around flying for a while because he put his hands on my shoulders and said, "Just watch it go in, that's all you can do" haha
Old 07-25-2016, 06:36 PM
rt3232

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
An old coffee percolator works as well as a crockpot, plus it uses less solution. I use an old Polyperk. Use it without the percolator basket and riser pipe, not needed. Once solution heats to boiling, it goes into warming mode. Since it uses less solution, practical limit is once, may be twice and no more, toss out the old solution and use new for the next engine. Else, next engine gets coated with the Castor glop that was removed from the previous engines.
Hay G/G we are lucky we have a h/waist drop off place right near so we only us it once put it in a plastic jug mark it and drop it off and no coast just for the new batch. and we pick up old crock pots from good will or garage sales and then they go to the recyclers I think over the last 10 15 years we have used about 3 pots. but that is just our club's way

Cheers Bob T
Old 07-26-2016, 07:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Dolphpb
Ok, I'll throw my 2 cents in...I'm just barely into the 50 club, but a friend of mine and I started flying a new fangled circle jerk plane. The Cox P40 Warhawk, with a finger eating .049 that would make your forearms look like Popeye from all the flipping. Then the motor would come to life and the plane would roar off into a large arcing loop only to land on the other side of the circle in a smoking heap. My father had many engines I would "flip" over and imagine them flying a Taylor craft or a Cub free flight. Engines like OK, Ohlson and my fathers ram jet, (that made my mother drop to her knees and start praying when she heard it light up). My first RC plane was a Goldberg Eaglet that I traded an RC buggy, the Tamiya Frog, straight up for. I found a guy that would help me fly it and after coming out of a loop, heard this very loud "Bang" (like a shotgun) and watched as the covering on the right wing half instantaneously disintegrate. The guy must have been around flying for a while because he put his hands on my shoulders and said, "Just watch it go in, that's all you can do" haha
Ah! The old Cox Baby Bee I still have one or two laying around. You can always tell who flew them back in the day they still have the scars from the prop bites! Me included!
Old 07-26-2016, 07:46 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by rt3232
Hey G/G we are lucky we have a h/waste drop off place right near so we only us it once put it in a plastic jug mark it and drop it off and no cost just for the new batch. and we pick up old crock pots from good will or garage sales and then they go to the recyclers I think over the last 10 - 15 years we have used about 3 pots. but that is just our club's way. Cheers Bob T
Hello Bob, it is good the club does this for members. We are a small club and we see less and less glow flight, most have converted to electric. I haven't, still love flying the glow engines. Why I do my own.

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Ah! The old Cox Baby Bee I still have one or two laying around. You can always tell who flew them back in the day they still have the scars from the prop bites! Me included!
I've got a few Coxes too, all of them, Babe Bee, Black Widow, RTF 290 postage stamp back donors, Sure Starts, Pee Wee's, R/C Bee, etc. Yup, still have the prop bite scars. Small flight has always been a favorite with me and I still enjoy small R/C. They are more affected by the wind, but on calmer days, it doesn't take much to throw one in the tool box of my truck and flight gear, get a few flights. Less stuff to grab than the bigger stuff.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

FYI Fred Novack owner of Vintage R/C Plans appears to have his email address ([email protected] ) hacked. He is sending out requests for money to be sent to him because he is stuck in the Philippians. A really old email scam! Does anyone know how to get a hold of Fred?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.