Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 10:21 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

There's a Fred Novack in Facebook, don't know if that is him. You could check his Facebook page, if that's him, message him. Don't know if you'll get a reply though, last post was April 2015.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:17 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Last night I got ambitious while watching a new show on TV and decided to do a little more work on the DR.1. The new show was a family comedy. It had the usual kids who act up, goofy adults, and a grandfather who was a real curmudgeon. I don't think it will last any longer than that NYC Crime Family comedy they had in the same slot last week, the show had a weird name it was called "The D.N.C.". Did I mention I'm here all week?

Now before someone hands me my hat, here is what I got done yesterday and over the weekend. I laid up the tail skid, built the Rudder, Horizontal Stab and the elevator.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100797.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	2174473   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100796.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	2174474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75899.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	226.1 KB
ID:	2174475   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100793.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	2174476   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100795.JPG
Views:	178
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	2174478  
Old 07-26-2016, 02:53 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Post # 2799 reminded me of a 60 size super kaos I built for a friend. He was very enthusiastic and came by my house on three occasions for assistance, each time upon removing it from his car he struck the vertical stab with a load cracking sound, each time I remarked he should take a good look at it, needless to say he flew it and the vert.stab departed for the nether regions and the plane was just short of being destroyed.
Need I say who got blamed for building a piece of junk?

I was surprised to see the game of lawn darts is a internationally popular sport, many appear to be very good at it. ......almost as good as I.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:40 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I remember when lawn darts were made out of metal. Couldn't get away with THAT today! How did we ever survive our childhood?
Old 07-26-2016, 04:55 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
I remember when lawn darts were made out of metal. Couldn't get away with THAT today! How did we ever survive our childhood?
We learned how to take reasonable risks. It's how we learned. Nowadays, things are so safety conscious that kids can't do anything beyond breathing.

As stated in this saying,
Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood—the virtues that made America. The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
Seems like an overall description of where we are now, like déjà vu.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:08 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Good day gentlemen!

Concerning the three engines I bought at the vide grenier, I took your advice and boiled the OS40SR and the Enya in anti-freeze for an hour and a quarter yesterday. Previously I had taken FlyerinOKC's approach with seized glow engines and just put them into a hot oven for half an hour to soften the congealed castor oil. I do not have a spare crock pot, known as a "slow cooker" in England, nor a spare coffee perculator but I used to work as a painter and decorator whenever something more remunerative was not available, so I boiled up the engines in an old paint kettle. The antifreeze certainly cleaned up the outside of the engines but they were still a bit stiff to turn at first. With the engines still very hot I managed to get a prop bolted to them by holding on to the mounting lugs with a pair of pliers. Continued movement with the addition of lots of light oil eventually produced that satisfactory plopping noise which marks the well-compressed two stroke! However, the barrel on the throttle of the OS was pitted and while it would turn when the engine was hot, it would not turn once it had cooled down. I tried to dismantle it but could not remove the barrel. I have left it soaking in thinners overnight, minus the O ring, and will try to take it apart again if I get the time later today. Otherwise I could remove a carburettor from another engine, I have an Irvine and Super Tigre 40 sculling about somewhere and use a carburettor from one of those to test the engines. I have an old bolt-on Enya silencer which will do for test purposes.

The rear exhaust OS requires no such treatment because it's free and clean. I have found a tuned pipe among my souvenirs which at 40cms in the length was probably intended for a 60-sized engine but it fits and will do for test purposes.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds like you are making some progress, hopefully you will have 3 working engines before long.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

I found a blast from the past in my Inbox today that almost made me spit my coffee out my nose. These was the first servos I ever owned.

http://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=97136
Old 07-27-2016, 07:22 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
Common sense!

Telemaster

I found lacquer thinner does a excellent job removing the sludge from engines.

Last edited by donnyman; 07-27-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Rocket-J

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you didn't want to hear about control lines. But an interesting crash and retrieval happened in Vietnam at my Marine Air Base. Several of us flew aggressive dog fights with streamer tails on our u-line planes. More power than what was necessary but we made due with what we had. My grossly over powered plane plane broke it's lines and flew out side the Concertina Wire, by quite aways. I stripped down to my skivvies and clawed through 5 rows of wire and back. I wasn't sure if there were any old land mines out there but the plane was most important.
With only minimum blood letting I got it back in about 2 hours with repairable damage. No photos available.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:20 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Rocket-J
I know you didn't want to hear about control lines. But an interesting crash and retrieval happened in Vietnam at my Marine Air Base. Several of us flew aggressive dog fights with streamer tails on our u-line planes. More power than what was necessary but we made due with what we had. My grossly over powered plane plane broke it's lines and flew out side the Concertina Wire, by quite aways. I stripped down to my skivvies and clawed through 5 rows of wire and back. I wasn't sure if there were any old land mines out there but the plane was most important. With only minimum blood letting I got it back in about 2 hours with repairable damage. No photos available.
You smell that? Do you smell that?... Nitro, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of nitro in the morning. You know, one time we droned a hill, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink electric. The smell, you know that methanol smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this cylinder liner's gonna wear out... (adapted from Apocalype Now - 1979)

That's quite a story, Rocket-J, enjoyed reading it; quite a feat to get your plane back. I still fly CL, have a Ringmaster with a McCoy .35 Red Head and Ringmaster Jr. with an OS Max .15FP-S that I still fly.

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 07-28-2016 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:50 AM
donnyman

I know you didn't want to hear about control lines. But an interesting crash and retrieval happened in Vietnam at my Marine Air Base. Several of us flew aggressive dog fights with streamer tails on our u-line planes. More power than what was necessary but we made due with what we had. My grossly over powered plane plane broke it's lines and flew out side the Concertina Wire, by quite aways. I stripped down to my skivvies and clawed through 5 rows of wire and back. I wasn't sure if there were any old land mines out there but the plane was most important.
With only minimum blood letting I got it back in about 2 hours with repairable damage. No photos available.
We do controline here and a whole lotta other stuff.............. Welcome aboard!
What year were you dancing in your scivvies amongst the concertina wire?
Old 07-28-2016, 05:42 AM
Rocket-J

1969 in Dang at Mag 16 near Marble Mountain.
I also built a u-line, twin engine scale of our OV-1 Mohawk that we flew. My plane had a 15" wingspan. My wife sent me two Baby Bumble Bee engines. I had to fly it in the Hangers due to the wind and it's small size. The hard part was fueling them after starting to make sure the outboard engine runs out first to keep the plane from turning into the u-line.
Wish I had photos.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

Greetings to the garlic capital of the world Gilroy! I enjoyed you story Rocket-J you must have been one of those young Marines with delusions of being bulletproof! What size Bumble Bee engines did you have on that rocket of a combat plane, or are you talking about Cox Baby Bees? I got a kick out of your hometown I worked with a man named Greg Groves that lved in Gilroy and kept up a 10 acre vineyard on the weekends, it was good wine too! He really educated me on what a job it is togrow the grapes and make the wine.

Mike

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 07-28-2016 at 06:35 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:55 AM
GallopingGhostler

1969 in Dang at Mag 16 near Marble Mountain. I also built a u-line, twin engine scale of our OV-1 Mohawk that we flew. My plane had a 15" wingspan. My wife sent me two Baby Bumble Bee engines. I had to fly it in the Hangers due to the wind and it's small size. The hard part was fueling them after starting to make sure the outboard engine runs out first to keep the plane from turning into the u-line. Wish I had photos.
Neat, perhaps Cox .020 Pee Wee's for engines? That small of a wingspan and 2, imagine you were having less than 3 second laps. Yes, would be a challenge, with the stock 4.5x2 props, run would last 1.5 minutes. That would be a challenge to fire up the two and still get a flight in.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Got both of those OS engines going this afternoon.

On the SR 40, I needed to use pliers on the high-speed needle to screw it in far enough to get peak revs out of the engine.

The 40V is a beauty, a real screamer! At first I couldn't work out how to support the tuned pipe until I hit upon the idea of getting a fork out of the garage and attaching it to the handle with a cable tie. I plan to build a Peter Russell 363 for it over the northern hemisphere winter. The 363 is a 50 inch (1245mm) span delta,

I was unable to find a suitable nut to fit the crankshaft of the Enya.

Sorry can't upload the other pictures as they're too big. Can't seem to get into my Dropbox account either. I'm not much good with computers!

Name:	OS Max 40 V.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	2174712  
Old 07-28-2016, 10:05 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I was unable to find a suitable nut to fit the crankshaft of the Enya.
Had a similar problem with an Enya .35-III TV bought on E-Bay. Seller substituted an SAE nut, looked good in photo but did not fit. I replaced it with a metric, can't recall but think it was a 7x1.0 mm.
Old 07-28-2016, 01:57 PM
Rocket-J

Yes it was the .020 Baby Bee Cox engine. Half the size of the .049. My wife also sent a pair of small three blade props, one reverse pitch. I have no idea where she found them. Too many years ago for this old grey matter. I might have an old photo deep in my photos boxes. I will look. I know I had one sitting next to a Flip Flop, to show the size.
Old 07-28-2016, 05:52 PM
GallopingGhostler

Yes it was the .020 Baby Bee Cox engine. Half the size of the .049. My wife also sent a pair of small three blade props, one reverse pitch. I have no idea where she found them. Too many years ago for this old grey matter. I might have an old photo deep in my photos boxes. I will look. I know I had one sitting next to a Flip Flop, to show the size.
Those props are still available. http://coxengines.ca/cox-.020-propel...5-3-blade.html

Name:	cox%20020%203-125%20x%202-5%203-blade%20propeller%202.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	2174847  
Old 07-28-2016, 11:06 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Any recommendations for a suitable model for my rear exhaust OS 40 V engine?
Old 07-29-2016, 05:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Any recommendations for a suitable model for my rear exhaust OS 40 V engine?
How about a vintage pattern plane? I do believe I saw some of them using rear exaulst engines or maybe a turnbine fan setup?
Old 07-29-2016, 06:09 AM
Rocket-J

I found these 45 year old Vietnam Photos.
1) 15" wingspan OV1 Mohawk
2) My u-line fleet
My dog fighter shows a near miss that still won the fight with tail streamers. These planes were super fast and turned on a dime.
And my P51 that broke lose.

Name:	IMG_2102.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2174866   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2100.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	2174867  
Old 07-29-2016, 06:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

I love the little Mohawk! At least the near miss counts as a win for you in AMA rules. I know you don't hear it enough but thank you for your service Marine! SALUTE!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:49 AM
Rocket-J

Thank you. I was in Army Aviation stationed on a Marine Air Base. We all did the same job. Keeping our men on the ground safer.
We had no rules in or Dog Fights. The winner was usually the last one flying. Most competition ended as a lawn dart.
My favorite move was to let them chase me in an overhead arc back toward the ground and then a sharp 90, 2 feet of the ground. Most could not make it.
If they did I would do a fast loop in behind them again. It was a fun way to use any time off. We were very lucky to be where we were. Our Army Aviation
was much better Duty the most had in in Nam.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

My No. 3 son was Army Aviation, helicopter mechanic before his injuries, he a DAV now. One his grandfathers (my father) was an Armorer in the Pacific for the 89th Bomber Group (Heavy) and his other grandfather built B-29s during the war. The later was 4F due to being death in one ear, even the Canadians wouldn't take him!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.