Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 08-05-2016, 06:51 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Hey, Donny, did you ever come up with an idea what kind of airplane you are going to wrap around that old Wankel? If you have three I think an old JU-52 or a Ford Trimotor would great powered by Wankels.
In a word no, I wasn't thinking of a build when I got it. Wankels fascinate me, while waiting for it to arrive I looked at what I had and found three in the boxes and one on display, so with this one I have five and I'm not sure what to do with them. I need to stop buying stuff. but they would look good in a C-54- a connie, or maybe a B-17. but no time soon.

We spent the entire day looking for someone to assemble a counter top for our bath sink its a laminate type ....forget it! the cabinet was custom built so it has to be special cut to fit. the only place I found is out of town and he seemed shakey so it appears I have another honeydo stareing me in the face.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:28 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Donny, just sent you a PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:15 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
In a word no, I wasn't thinking of a build when I got it. Wankels fascinate me, while waiting for it to arrive I looked at what I had and found three in the boxes and one on display, so with this one I have five and I'm not sure what to do with them. I need to stop buying stuff. but they would look good in a C-54- a connie, or maybe a B-17. but no time soon.

We spent the entire day looking for someone to assemble a counter top for our bath sink its a laminate type ....forget it! the cabinet was custom built so it has to be special cut to fit. the only place I found is out of town and he seemed shakey so it appears I have another honeydo stareing me in the face.
Those would be good for a PBY
Old 08-05-2016, 08:03 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Donny, Yea I kinda hope this works out it will be a cool project. IO 540 300hp the frame aperies to be all built but all the details it need everything. He says he wants it as lite as possible for all out acro.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:16 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

I'll be going to an "Interclubs" event at Gueret tomorrow. Gueret is the capital of the Department, the equivalent of a "county town" in England, perhaps in the USA as well, it's the place where all of the local government offices are situated. The Gueret Club, "Les Fourmis Volantes," (The Flying Ants) is by far the biggest club in the area and they have invited several other clubs to the event too. Being France, for 10€ we will get an "apero" and a four-course lunch! Pictures to follow.

Our club secretary has also taken many pictures of the display at Sazeray last week. I'll post the interesting ones when I get them.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:32 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
Those would be good for a PBY
Yes your right and I already have the plans, but I will never find the time.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:38 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Donny, Yea I kinda hope this works out it will be a cool project. IO 540 300hp the frame aperies to be all built but all the details it need everything. He says he wants it as lite as possible for all out acro.
What you are about to do is how I started three small busineses...all very profitable, good luck!
Old 08-06-2016, 10:25 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You think 50 years in The hobby is old? Think again - my AMA number, original issue is: MCMVC!
Old 08-07-2016, 06:12 AM
NIGHTBREEDERS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi does anybody no the colour touchup paint i can use on my parkzone f4u1a corsair its the light blue under the wing
Old 08-07-2016, 11:14 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by EloyM
You think 50 years in The hobby is old? Think again - my AMA number, original issue is: MCMVC!
LMAO as young people say!
Old 08-07-2016, 01:29 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gotcha beat, my AMA no. is MCDVL obtained in 1936. Rodney
Old 08-07-2016, 02:28 PM
GallopingGhostler

Then I'm a young whipper snapper. (Using extended Roman) = LXXMVDCLXXVII.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by NIGHTBREEDERS
hi does anybody no the colour touchup paint i can use on my parkzone f4u1a corsair its the light blue under the wing
It depends what sort of paint you intend to use. If you were to take the model to a shop which supplies paint to the automotive re-finishing trade, or alternatively to a shop which supplies paint to the building trade, they should be able to match the colour pretty accurately.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:47 PM
GallopingGhostler

(duplicate deleted)

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 08-07-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:48 PM
GallopingGhostler

I don't know how compatible this paint is with the foam, but judging by computer monitor (and looks can be deceiving), Rustoleum has a
Stops Rust® Protective Enamel12 oz. Spray can in color Harbor Blue, Part No. 7722830, Lowes home improvement store cost $5.18 US that seems to be close.

https://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...e-enamel-spray
Old 08-08-2016, 05:00 AM
Rodney

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Then I'm a young whipper snapper. (Using extended Roman) = LXXMVDCLXXVII.
Sorry my error, you were right

Last edited by Rodney; 08-08-2016 at 05:10 AM. Reason: Big error on my part so deleted my comments
Old 08-08-2016, 05:12 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Rodney
not possible as this shows 1000-70+450+28 = or 1408 or you are over 600 years old.
I was showing the extended Roman Numerals for my AMA number. Posting HTML doesn't allow a bar above the numeral, so I used underscore. L=50,000, X=10,000, V=5,000.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:10 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I'll be going to an "Interclubs" event at Gueret tomorrow. Gueret is the capital of the Department, the equivalent of a "county town" in England, perhaps in the USA as well, it's the place where all of the local government offices are situated. The Gueret Club, "Les Fourmis Volantes," (The Flying Ants) is by far the biggest club in the area and they have invited several other clubs to the event too. Being France, for 10€ we will get an "apero" and a four-course lunch! Pictures to follow.

Our club secretary has also taken many pictures of the display at Sazeray last week. I'll post the interesting ones when I get them.
In the USA we would call it the "County Seat" with a number of counties residing in each of the 50 states. It organized similar to the way the Canadian provinces of Quebec, Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island are organized we just call them states the Canadians call them provinces. I look forward to seeing the Sazeray pictures!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:33 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It
Try the testors warbird colors at your hobby/craft store
Old 08-08-2016, 12:02 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try Nelsons paints :ie: nelsonshobbies.com it is a water base it is vary lite

Cheers Bob T
Old 08-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Rodney

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
I was showing the extended Roman Numerals for my AMA number. Posting HTML doesn't allow a bar above the numeral, so I used underscore. L=50,000, X=10,000, V=5,000.
I hope you noticed that I had removed my comments as they were in error; For Roman numerals I=1, V=5, X=10,L=50,C=100, D=500 and M=1000
Old 08-08-2016, 03:45 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Rodney
I hope you noticed that I had removed my comments as they were in error; For Roman numerals I=1, V=5, X=10,L=50,C=100, D=500 and M=1000
We posted within 2 minutes of each other. I went by your comments as I read it. I hope we're not getting into a hissy fit over something this trivial.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:04 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

opcorn:
Old 08-08-2016, 10:49 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Do You Ever Have Days Like This?

I replaced the fin on my WOT 4 XL and took the model to the flying field last Wednesday to test fly it. See post no 2799 for details of how the fin broke off in flight. Several years ago, having worn out two Kyosho manual fuel pumps, I replaced them with an American Southern R/C "Six Shooter" pump, apparently these will never wear out and so far this has proved to be the case. However, as a pump, they are not as efficient as the Japanese pumps in that you have to crank the handle more to fill a tank of a given size. I was duly cranking away and talking to our club's only other Englishman, Daniel Hunn, the pilot who had been flying the model when the fin snapped off. I explained that the tank was quite large but it seemed to be taking an inordinate amount of time to fill. Puzzled, I stopped cranking and noticed fuel dripping from the undercarriage. "How has fuel got there?" I asked myself. I removed the wing and found out. The rubber bung from the tank supplied with the kit had worked loose and there was at least a centimetre of wasted fuel sloshing around in the fuselage! I had been warned about the quality of fuel tanks supplied with ARTF kits but had taken no notice! I inverted the model and threw away all of that fuel. In the process I covered the receiver in fuel and melted the glue on the velcro straps that were holding it to the fuselage. I screwed up the bung good and tight but deemed it unsafe to fly the model that day and had a couple of flights with my Stick 1500. Having removed as much fuel as I could with rags and kitchen towel, I left the rest to evaporate in the sun.

I went home and found another tank. This was also supplied with some kit or other and had proved its worth. I see that it was produced by the "Super Flying Model Company." If you can imagine a white translucent tube with straight sides about 6" (15cms) long and 2.5" (6.5cms) high you'll have some idea of what it looks like. However, at the front of the tank there is an "ice breaker's prow" projecting forwards to prevent the fuel tubing from being crushed against the firewall in the event of ham-fisted construction or a sudden contact with terra firma! I tested the tank for leaks in the bathroom sink and it proved sound. I installed it in the model and went to the interclubs at Gueret with five of my colleagues. A sixth member was due to go with us but when we all met up prior to the journey to Gueret, we were told that his mother had died the previous day at the age of 83, after a long illness, so naturally, he would not be coming.

We got to the Gueret Club's field and dealt with all of the bureaucracy as this was an event to which the general public were invited. All the pilots had to wear plastic bracelets for example. I unloaded my van and put the XL onto the stand, connected the pump to the filler tube and turned the handle. The tank seemed to take an age to fill but I persevered. Wary by now, I looked down at the wheels and there was the fuel dripping from the undercarriage! Off with the wing, the fuselage was swimming in fuel as before but the tank was empty! How could this be? Out with the tank, throw away the fuel, find some kitchen towel, ( the French were characteristically providing us with a four-course lunch for 10€,) dry the model off. Inspect the tank, no sign of a leak. Curious, I inspected further.

This tank has the carburetter feed attached to the clunk line in the centre of the front face of the tank. Vertically above it there are two nipples, one for the fuel feed the other for the exhaust pressure pipe. In the past I must have used a two-pipe system on whichever model it was in because the lower of these two nipples was still capped off and there I was trying to force fuel into a tank through a blanked off feed nipple.

Naturally I didn't fly it on Sunday either!

I'll post some pictures of the event and of Sazeray when I receive them from the club secretary who is a far better photographer than me!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 08-08-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

I resemeble that story! Reminds me of an old song, feel free to sing along!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHcEWhbQkEg

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.