Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 08-11-2016, 06:34 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
A glutten for punishment, just picked up a left hand exhaust 1950's K&B .35 Torpedo Greenhead (w/o painted head). Got good compression, just need to build me a plane to put it in. Got 42" span Sterling Hellcat profile and 42" Berkeley Interceptor kits. Berkeley is late 1950's, so much more period correct. Will clean up engine, paint head green, install the missing spring steel clip ratchet for for needle valve. This engine will go on the inboard side to direct exhaust down away from the hand that is adjusting the needle. Will fly it on 60' lines.

A few years ago I built a Ringmaster and power it with a Torpedo 19. The needle valve is down. It has made at least 40 flights and have not needed to adjust the needle valve after the first start. here it is flying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEEZkL13cM

Last edited by Joe Fisher; 08-11-2016 at 06:40 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:10 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
A few years ago I built a Ringmaster and power it with a Torpedo 19. The needle valve is down. It has made at least 40 flights and have not needed to adjust the needle valve after the first start. here it is flying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAEEZkL13cM
Good flight and nice landing, seems to be a good runner, good trainer for the grandkids. With the .35, will be able to fly the full pattern. I've got 2 Ringmasters, the S-1 and S-5 Ringmaster Jr. S-1 has a McCoy .35 Red Head, the S-5 has an OS Max .15PF-S.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ringmaster S-1 Done Rt.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	2176586   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring Jr 6oct13 End.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	2176587  
Old 08-12-2016, 04:24 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey I felt a twinge of dizziness watching that video, it stirred up flight memories from long ago Thanks for the happiness!

Ghostler/Fisher

The TORP. engine in my opinion is in the top 5% of best engines. I have had mine for more than 50 years and never had a hard start or bad run. it has always performed well, It still has it's green head
Old 08-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Saturday 13th August has dawned calm and fine, indeed we've had no rain to speak of in the centre of France since the end of May. I plan to fly my BE2e later today. I've only flown it once before.

I'll take a memory stick to the flying field and ask the secretary to put some pictures of the events at Sazeray and Gueret on it.

I've been volunteered to participate in a charity motor cycle ride tomorrow, "Motocoeur." "Moto" means "motor bike" and "coeur" means "heart." We will ride to the village of Lourouer St-Laurent which is about 30 miles (50 kms) away from here, to raise money for people with a mental or physical disability. The organisers hope to beat the record for the number of bikes which have participated in this event in the past, 1201 machines. The lady who owns the local bar has volunteered to be my pillion passenger so over the last few days I've adjusted the chain, and checked the fluid levels and tyre pressures. I've not bothered to adjust the suspension as the lady in question is very slim!

Note to American readers: the term "motor bike" as used in Great Britain can refer to any two-wheeled vehicle with an engine and is not restricted to small motorcycles, so a Vincent Rapide and a Honda C50 are both "motorbikes."

Two pictures to be getting on with.

Name:	Triumph Sprint ST.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	857.5 KB
ID:	2176713   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE2e.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	2176714  
Old 08-13-2016, 06:17 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

LOL no we all know what motorbikes are. On our interstates there are signs posted with restrictions, and one of them is motorbikes, under 10 HP. So any motor driven bike greater than 10 Hp can use them, though I just can't see an 11HP bike doing 80 MPH.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:25 AM
GallopingGhostler

I've ridden my 1971 Honda CB100 now with bored out 1mm SL125 motor for 131cc to 60 mph. Back in the late '70s on its original 100 cc motor as a college student, used to haul my 1/2-A RC planes up the Pali Hwy from Honolulu to other side near Kailua / Kaneohi, fly at the public R/C park near the landfill. Helped me to keep my sanity.

Still have it, not long ago rode it to work 12 miles away, 55 mph wide open. People ask how the ride was, I told them it was like the scooter ride in Dumb and Dumber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFTZmECTVbs

Name:	George's CB100.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	2176873  

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 08-14-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah yes, the good Ol' days, flying my Monokote covered Ringmaster with a McCoy 35 blue head on pressure.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:13 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I've ridden my 1971 Honda CB100 now with bored out 1mm SL125 motor for 131cc to 60 mph. Back in the late '70s on its original 100 cc motor as a college student, used to haul my 1/2-A RC planes up the Pali Hwy from Honolulu to other side near Kailua / Kaneohi, fly at the public R/C park near the landfill. Helped me to keep my sanity.

Still have it, not long ago rode it to work 12 miles away, 55 mph wide open. People ask how the ride was, I told them it was like the scooter ride in Dumb and Dumber.

When I was in high school, in a town about 70 miles south of Lincoln, Ne I had a Honda XL70. Rode it up to Lincoln more than once! It didn't make the trip real fast, but it made it!
Old 08-14-2016, 04:43 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

In high school a friend had the Honda CB250 and I had the Yamaha 200 Electric. His Honda had a 4 cycle engine and the Yamaha 200 had a two cycle engine, my bike could run away from his without even trying. I had him on HP too. I sold it back in 1978 to apply the money to a Triumph TR2A sports car.

Name:	200E.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	2176903  
Old 08-15-2016, 02:16 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Yesterday's Motocoeur was a great success, 1370 bikes turned up and it was a baking hot day. Few pictures attached. The two ladies on the left of the group picture were my pillion passengers. One rode with me to the event, the other was my pillion passenger on the circuit. We were let go in groups of about 400 at fifteen minute intervals and we rode through the local towns and villages. The organisers did a splendid job in having the roads closed off for us and local people stood outside their houses to clap and wave to us. On the way to the event, I had the bike up to 180kph, (112mph) probably influenced by having a lady on the pillion for the first time in years if you know what I mean.

I also flew the BE2 in the afternoon but it's obvious that the model needs nose-weight. A friend at the club took a few pictures and sent them to me in an attachment to an email. I don't know how to move his pictures to "My Pictures." Perhaps one of you more computer-literate gentlemen could advise me.

Name:	Motocouer (1) (Small).JPG
Views:	132
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	2176956   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motocouer (4) (Small).JPG
Views:	125
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	2176957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motocouer (2) (Small).JPG
Views:	123
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	2176958   Click image for larger version

Name:	My Triumph Next To An Old BMW.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	2176959   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motocouer (22) (Small).JPG
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	2176960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lunchtime Most Of The Diners Had Finished By The Time I Took This Picture.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	2176961   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motocouer (Small).JPG
Views:	114
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	2176962  
Old 08-15-2016, 07:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

That would depend on your email program in most cases you should be able to click "Download All" inside the email and be prompted to select a spot or have them go directly to Downloads if you are using an IBM Compatible machine.

Good news to my fellow members of the over the hill gang...er... over 50 crowd. After all the news reports about how impossible it is for the 50+ old workers to find fulltime work; this 58 year old got a job offer after 4 months of looking. God looks after little children, fools, and not overly bright R/C builders! I start on 8/22 for a small SDVOSB (Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business for our members across the big pond) supporting a new project for the Veterans Administration. As some of you know one of my 4 sons is a Disabled American Veteran so their issues are close to my heart. I guess I'll be able to eat and support my R/C addiction a little long now. ;-) The only downside is a lack of building time but looking for work was swallowing that up that time any way.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:10 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Yesterday's Motocoeur was a great success, 1370 bikes turned up and it was a baking hot day. Few pictures attached. The two ladies on the left of the group picture were my pillion passengers. One rode with me to the event, the other was my pillion passenger on the circuit. We were let go in groups of about 400 at fifteen minute intervals and we rode through the local towns and villages. The organisers did a splendid job in having the roads closed off for us and local people stood outside their houses to clap and wave to us. On the way to the event, I had the bike up to 180kph, (112mph) probably influenced by having a lady on the pillion for the first time in years if you know what I mean.
Nice motorcycles and group of people, look like my kind of folk.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:45 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
That would depend on your email program in most cases you should be able to click "Download All" inside the email and be prompted to select a spot or have them go directly to Downloads if you are using an IBM Compatible machine.

Good news to my fellow members of the over the hill gang...er... over 50 crowd. After all the news reports about how impossible it is for the 50+ old workers to find fulltime work; this 58 year old got a job offer after 4 months of looking. God looks after little children, fools, and not overly bright R/C builders! I start on 8/22 for a small SDVOSB (Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business for our members across the big pond) supporting a new project for the Veterans Administration. As some of you know one of my 4 sons is a Disabled American Veteran so their issues are close to my heart. I guess I'll be able to eat and support my R/C addiction a little long now. ;-) The only downside is a lack of building time but looking for work was swallowing that up that time any way.
Thanks for the advice Flyer and well done on getting that job. I was made redundant from my job as a careers adviser working with disabled adults when I was 58, so I know how difficult it is, both professionally and personally, for older workers to find a job. I managed to get a few short-term positions in career guidance but they were not really very satisfactory but I got other bits and pieces, driving people's Jaguars, painting the outside of a shop in February, even working part-time as a check-out operator in a supermarket to make ends meet until I reached retirement age.

At the age of 68 I'm not interested in working for money anymore. I helped a lady move a flock of sheep the other day which only proved how unfit I've become! They were a Dutch breed, black with white stripes down the nose, much larger than most sheep and as strong as oxen!

I grow a fair bit of my own food. Anyone want a lettuce? I'm fortunate in having a good state and vocational pension which has reduced a fair bit since the Brexit! But then again, I've never really been that motivated by money. It doesn't buy happiness. My motorcycle is seventeen years old, my van is eighteen years old, my bicycle is a British Raleigh made in 1978 and my Rover P6 is 42 years old, but they all get me about.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:00 AM
donnyman

It is good to see so many enjoying biking, something my son enjoys... me? no thanks I am too old, and I had a bad experience while on base in arizona. The chain on my bike (just like tthe one in your video) came loose locking up the rear wheel sending me flying over the handlbars at 30 mph. I haven't forgotten the feeling of dirt, blood, fabric, skin and gravel from the road mixing together on me. so I will never know the thrill of moving along at 112 mph on one.

my best wishes to all of you.

They have a biking event here called the rot rally. R.O.T. (republic of Texas) mostly Harley Davidson bikes, Attendance has surpassed ten thousand or so and it last over the weekend. they hold it at a convention center. The streets get plenty crowded in the dowtown area of Austin.

FLYER

Congrats on the new job......you will find the time to build onces settled in.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have rode a motorcycle in years, Eric the DAV in the family just put his Electric Glide up for sale. His injuries along with a knee he has further damaged in a fall has caused him to reach the point his body can't take the riding anymore.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:02 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC

Congrats!
Old 08-15-2016, 06:00 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Congrats!
Thank you!
Old 08-16-2016, 03:03 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Pictures of BE2 attached if I can get the cybernetics to work.

The model was hard to fly but I got it down alright. The c of g was probably too far to the rear. Will add lead to the nose.

Love that overhead exhaust!

Name:	BE2e FFF.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	2177134   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE2eFFF4.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	2177135   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE2e FFF1.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	2177136   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE2eFFF2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	362.3 KB
ID:	2177137   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE2eFFF3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	2177138  
Old 08-16-2016, 03:13 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well guys on the DAV it is one of two charities I/we support our son did his 25 + with out getting hurt, but a couplla of his buddies have had problems with the I think its called psds and that S@#$T is scary been with him a time or 3 to help, not much an old geezer can do but be a good listener and new they all, go snowmobiling we have made some mods so the physicallly handicat guys can have just as much fun

Back to models still working on my J-3 bash to a super cub, and now it is moving along again

Cheers bob T
Old 08-17-2016, 03:54 PM
donnyman

The rain we are expriencing for the past week has permitted a lot of build time and I an trying to make the best of it.
I stopped the mustang build to build up two SIG King Kobras the firewalls are in and I have a built up version of the wing completedfor myself, The foam wing from the kit is next, I have decided to use gorilla glue to bond the skins. The kit owner has choen to use a 75 in his I'm sticking with the 60.

the built up wing copied from the foam blanks.

The springaire retracts work well.

I haven't sanded anything so they look a bit rough.

Name:	DSCF0490.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	3.76 MB
ID:	2177354   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0491.JPG
Views:	150
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	2177356  
Old 08-17-2016, 04:02 PM
donnyman

Pictures of BE2 attached if I can get the cybernetics to work.

The model was hard to fly but I got it down alright. The c of g was probably too far to the rear. Will add lead to the nose.

Love that overhead exhaust!

ww1 aircraft isn't on my top ten list but..................I am impressed with your Be2 it presents well. so much so I have acquired the plans.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:40 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by donnyman
ww1 aircraft isn't on my top ten list but..................I am impressed with your Be2 it presents well. so much so I have acquired the plans.
I bought this model from an estate sale while I was simultaneously building one of my own. I found out that the pilot of Manfred von Richtofen's fifty-first victory had the same name as me, so I plan to finish mine as a replica of his. Since then I have acquired a full kit of the model and the newest member of our club, Daniel Hunn, is starting to build another! We could have a flight fly-pass next year accompanied by a Flair SE5a!

Name:	Basic Fuselage Structure (Small).JPG
Views:	127
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	2177380  
Old 08-18-2016, 05:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

I bought this model from an estate sale while I was simultaneously building one of my own. I found out that the pilot of Manfred von Richtofen's fifty-first victory had the same name as me, so I plan to finish mine as a replica of his. Since then I have acquired a full kit of the model and the newest member of our club, Daniel Hunn, is starting to build another! We could have a flight fly-pass next year accompanied by a Flair SE5a!

Just make sure you stay away from Fokkers with 50 victories! ;-)
Old 08-18-2016, 05:32 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Actually von Richtofen was flying an Albatros at the time. 29th April 1917. .

I've just added 160 grammes of lead under the engine so we'll see what difference that makes next time we get a calm day.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:26 AM
GallopingGhostler

Days of WW1 were interesting to say nonetheless. Circumstantial evidence points to the greater possibility that infantry ground fire downed the Hun instead of the British pilot who was credited with the kill. Development of incendiary ammunition made a break through in downing flammable doped fabric wooden framed aeroplanes. Now one could "wing" an aeroplane to down it, send the pilot to a fiery death, truly frightening.

Some 50 years ago, I got my introduction to WW1 aircraft by building Comet 12" Spad and Fokker DVII, and a number of plastic 1/72nd scale static models such as the DeHavilland DH-2, Nieuports, Albatrosses, SE-5, etc. Some 40+ years ago I built one of these, a 21" (530mm) wingspan CL Sterling Beginner's Fokker E-III Eindecker with Cox .049 Babe Bee, taught me how to fly CL.

Name:	21in Beginners Eindecker.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	2177420  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.