Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Engine Start

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Engine Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 07:18 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Jester the wheels look small but they are 3.5". Runway condition was the problem. Due to the wet conditions I could not mow it shorter. The mower was a muddy mess when I got through. I just have to wait for dry conditions and try again.

OzMo thanks, the plane is the Debonair. After reading about the SPAD planes I decided to build it as a trainer. Reading how well they handle a crash was the key. I started building an Ugly Stik but did not want to risk a crash with it. I set it aside and went with the Debonair. Very sturdy plane and with that sweet running OS engine it makes the perfect combination.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:20 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I flew a Debonair for a few seasons. I built mine with a flat wing (no dihedral) and a taildragger. I had a blast with it. Maybe not pretty but she flew pretty good with a TT Pro .46 on it. Kind of a dog, but was fun to fly.

Last edited by Tom Nied; 01-17-2015 at 08:57 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 01-16-2015, 10:32 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Jester the wheels look small but they are 3.5". Runway condition was the problem. Due to the wet conditions I could not mow it shorter. The mower was a muddy mess when I got through. I just have to wait for dry conditions and try again.
Another WELCOME Back, Mr. ETpilot. Where in East TX are you flying? Many good places around. I am in the southern part of ET just north of Houston, close to New Caney. I belong to Livingston's ARF ( Always Ready to Fly) Club. Great Guys. My main station is the Jetero RC Club just between Huffman and Dayton. www.jetero.com.
Nice facility with good quarters. Grass runway usually very smooth grass, but here also has been much rain and cold. Have not been out there since several weeks before Christmas. BTW, Jetero owns the 50 acres facility so no problems with a land-owner. Once I get stuff in order I will be back flying. IF YOU ARE IN THE AREA OR COMING BY let us know. We have a Competition Fun Fly coming up in Feb. I CD'd that annual item for 18 years and retired after last one. Jetero is a really nice flying facility and any AMA member is very much welcome. Check the web site for all the officers and instructors. We welcome guests.
Old 01-17-2015, 04:51 AM
ETpilot

Tom, I debated on engine size between an OS .55 n .65 I went with the .55 if the Deboniar flies nice but slow that is ok with me. Too fast may be more of a challenge.

Hossfly I live just South of Lake Murvaul which is SW of the city of Carthage. About 2.5 hours North of you. Good ole country living. I am preparing a runway on my property. I just let the rain get ahead of me. Just involved with too many projects. Thanks for the invite down to your club. I'll have to check if that fun fly is doable for me. Will check the website for info. As for clubs in my area, they are a good distance from me. Only 3 to consider and I, just about, have eliminated the closest one. Will check the others in time.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:04 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a Debonair too. It flew. That's about all I can say for it. A well set up balsa trainer flies considerably better and can still take a pretty good bump. But you have a serviceable trainer to get though the accident prone first few months of flying with for sure. When you build your Ugly Stick, I think you'll be amazed at how easy it is to fly compared to the trainer. Stalls will be more gentle, the plane will be more responsive, it won't get tossed around by the wind nearly as much, and it will be easier to take off and land with. Of course, it won't be self-correcting, so you have to get through that beginner phase of needing a self-correcting plane before moving to a Stick.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:53 PM
ETpilot

Jester if my Debonair takes to the air I will be a happy camper. I just need a slow plane to practice with. On landing I will try for the runway. But, I do have lots of grassy areas where it can settle down.

The Ugly Stik is gathering shop dust in my cluttered shop. It awaits a topcoat, final assembly and graphics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	2064787  
Old 01-17-2015, 06:58 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Sweet! I love seeing guys who still actually build. Did you use Koverall for that? What did you paint it with?
Old 01-17-2015, 10:19 PM
ETpilot

Yes, the whole airplane is covered in Koverall. Since I was concerned about balance I added an access hatch on the bottom and modified one former so the battery may be moved about. Servos and pushrods tubes are installed in fuselage. The plane was painted with Home Depot Aviation Paint. Actually both planes were painted with HD paint.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:09 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Yes, the whole airplane is covered in Koverall. Since I was concerned about balance I added an access hatch on the bottom and modified one former so the battery may be moved about. Servos and pushrods tubes are installed in fuselage. The plane was painted with Home Depot Aviation Paint. Actually both planes were painted with HD paint.
That looks great! What style of paint did you use? Spray enamel? You have to get it flying so you can tell us how it holds up. Always looking for new finishing ideas here.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:27 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by thailazer
That looks great! What style of paint did you use? Spray enamel? You have to get it flying so you can tell us how it holds up. Always looking for new finishing ideas here.
Home Depot sells 8oz. sample bottles for about $3.00. I just selected the colors I wanted from their color sample and had them mix it. The paint is Behrs flat enamel indoor- outdoor. I sprayed the paint on the plane and it sprays pretty good. On the Debonair I sprayed the topcoat in cold weather so it did not flow as smooth as possible. But ok for the Debonair. For the Ugly Stik I will wait for warmer weather. Some of the US control surfaces are done. They came out super smooth and high gloss. I use Deft Defthane Polyurethane for a topcoat. Unfortunately I can only find it in rattle can. A spray gun finish would be best. I have used Deft products for years. Now there was a company takeover and it is harder to find.

So far, running the engine on the Debonair, the paint is holding up with glow fuel. Paint testing with glow fuel is part of the process.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:48 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for that thorough explanation ET. I am sure it will be fine with the Defthane topcoat.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:32 PM
ETpilot

Well some good news and some bad news.

First the good news. The weather finally turned in my favor. I mowed the runway down to 3". Today was a good day to fly later in the afternoon. I did a nice takeoff, shallow climb to altitude. I found that I could still fly after all these years that have gone by. The plane was well behaved. No trim needed. I really felt good. I decided to fly rectangular patterns around the runway.

And now the Bad News. Making the fourth turn with the plane flying directly at me, something went wrong. The plane just spun in. Too fast to react. My first thought was that it went into fail safe as it reacted how I had fail safe set up. Doing the post crash investigation, I don't believe it was fail safe. Thinking more pilot error. The controls were not in the fail safe position. The radio n servos still worked. using binoculars I went a good distance away n radio still functioned good.
Just before the third turn in the pattern, I reduced the throttle a bit. I think I may have accidently reduced the throttle in the fourth turn and just stalled the airplane. Since the plane was turning toward me I did not have a good perception of speed.
Anyway, the Debonair is gone. no damage to the engine. The wing has a crack which may be repairable. I may give it to my granddaughter if she wants it. It has her name. Back to the building board. I can salvage some from the old plane and build another wing if I need to. Debonair II coming up. Without the paint. Just plain ole plain.

At at least it was not my Ugly Stik. That would have been hard to take.

The picture shows the plane facing the runway ready for takeoff. Second picture shows the crash on the runway. I flew a nice tight pattern.

Views:	49
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	2069475   Click image for larger version

Views:	71
Size:	3.42 MB
ID:	2069476  
Old 01-31-2015, 05:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So sorry to see that happen, it came out very well. Your not the only one to crash a new plane I have planted a few.
The worst one was when I spent unknown hours building a Bipe called the Krier Kraft from plans drawn by Gordon Whitehead in the UK. It was such a good plane I was going to use it in IMAC. I had put the plane away for the day when some club members wanted to see it fly. I was showing off and decided to come in slow and low side slipping onto the runway. I went too slow and was too low and the plane went into a violent snap roll and nothing I could do would bring it out of that spinning roll. It hit the water in a canal and didn't look too bad. Until I got it out of the water, every thing made of wood was broken.
Stuff happens and you did a good job on the plane. The next one will be even better.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:05 PM
ETpilot

Gray Beard, I don't feel too bad. It was fun for the short flight time. I knew this would happen some time. I would rather it happened a bit later n not so soon. But as you say stuff happens. Have to keep moving on. Now, If it were the Ugly Stik I would really be feeling down. It may be a good while before that one flys.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:03 PM
Tom Nied

I don't get it. What was your approximate altitude by that "fourth" turn? Did you forget to "push your stick towards the low wing", to straighten it out? Push it towards the high wing while it's flying towards you and it spirals in. I have a hunch that's what happened.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:06 AM
ETpilot

Well I did need to be higher. I was at around 100'. It was not a wrong control input problem. My number 2 turn was similar and that was not a problem. I have been practicing for the plane flying at you situation.

As the plane turned towards me I was ready to raise the down wing. I never got to that point. It just abruptly went into the spiral down. Made a nice thud when it hit the ground. I am pretty sure it was a low speed stall during the turn. With the wing banked, the stall speed goes up. I think I was just too slow for the turn, plus too low in altitude. I will have to remember this.

Anyway, starting on a new plane today. Using the tail feathers fron the old and may build a new wing.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:29 AM
Tom Nied

Well I hope to hear you have more success with Debonair #2. I really enjoyed the one I had but have to admit, I had a few crackups with mine as well. Once you're in the "groove" with it, its remarkable how good it does fly. Sure it is not a svelt aerobat, but it is an honest flyer capable of really mild aerobatics. Hope you get #2 built and better success to you.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:35 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, they keep telling me SPADs "bounce" but I haven't been that lucky. I had similar results with my Deb MKI. I had an old K&B 65 on it that I never could get tuned right. She cut out on me, but I couldn't really hear it because I was a good ways away. When it went down, out of ALLLLLLL that grass out there, I clipped the edge of the asphalt walking track. DANG! The wing survived though and I put that on Deb MKII and she's still flying sweet 5 years later with an OS46FX on it.

Name:	Image002.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	2069604  
Old 02-01-2015, 09:04 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All white airplanes are hard to see and difficult to orientate. Do yourself a favour and put a big band of contrasting colour on one wing.panel.

My first 3D plane was all flouro orange. Big mistake.

Number two looked like this.

Name:	1-IMGP0611.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	2069615   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-IMGP0625.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	2069616  
Old 02-01-2015, 09:15 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least I had some contrast on the *bottom* of the wing.

Name:	DSC00513.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2069618  
Old 02-01-2015, 11:04 AM
ETpilot

Crashing is just a part of this hobby. I did have some contrast. The top of the wing had a large red wingtip band. Plain white on the bottom. Many years ago my Ugly Stik got too far from me. I could only see the contrast in colors. That helped me bring it back home and save the plane.

Debonair II is well along in the build. I have the fuselage cut, the ole tail feathers on, the tail wheel and the elevator-rudders servos on. I need to install the pushrods and I can move to the mid- section.

Success is just one plane away. But I did cut 2 fuselage sections just in case.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:25 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrickCurry
At least I had some contrast on the *bottom* of the wing.

I don't know about other pilots, but I can't see colors on the bottom of the wing. They all look dark to me.

I place my color contrasts on the top of the wing. To me, the bottom is unimportant, as far as visability enhancement is concerned.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:44 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Agree!
The colours should be on top of the wing!
Old 02-01-2015, 01:57 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Disagree, as color blind as I am I can spot the contrast on the bottom. I tend to look up and see the bottom of the plane a lot more then the top. Doesn't mater a lot as long as you know top from bottom though. With any type of stunt plane I contrast the bottom so I know instantly what attitude the plane is in during a spin.

Name:	2014_1216canopy0008.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2069689   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_1216canopy0006.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2069690  
Old 02-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Tom Nied

Hi Greybeard. That's an Uproar and I just started a kit. Curious, what tank were you able to squeeze into it? Brand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.