Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

It's been a long time.. But I wanna build

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

It's been a long time.. But I wanna build

Old 01-11-2015, 08:26 PM
Pilot Chad
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's been a long time.. But I wanna build

So I posted here years ago. I'm sure a couple of the guys remember me (Looking at you RCKen).

Anyhow. I've got the bug to build a plane. Not sure if I'll ever fly it, or if I'll just build it for fun, but I'd like the option. So now begins the search for what models to build..

Here's what I want.

Something fun (Really would like low wing, but my mind can be changed, just not Top wing trainers. I'd like something that won't be terribly boring immediately).
Something not terribly hard to fly (No warbirds etc) Again, I'm not sure I'll even fly this, but if I do, I'd like something that won't be too hard.
A fun building kit. Not too hard, not too easy.

Now that leads me to look into a Sig 4* which i attempted years ago, but that was back when i was in middleschool and i failed miserably. I have no doubts I could easily knock out that kit now days, but I don't really want to do that kit again. I want something different, and am not sure whats out there, whats changed etc in all these years. So what are some ideas?
Old 01-11-2015, 09:32 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

IMHO, you've got the right manufacturer - SIG. You might try a look-see at the MidStar-40. Decently easy to build, GREAT flier, quite stout in the "strength" department. If you're looking for a larger plane the Astro Hog can't be beat - great build, great flier.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:49 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AGREE Regarding SIG!!!! don't forget the Kougar and Kobra lines... and YES, SIG DOES STILL MAKE KITS!
(I'm in the process of bulding a Kobra, but adding electric power and retracts.)

Sig KITS:
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...ftF.html?E+Sig

good luck!!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:22 AM
jsr1017

I've also been out of the hobby for a long time, nearly ten years (!) and am coming back to building as well. I'll just throw this out there: the SIG Citabria? This was my very first full-on kit, way back when, and the one that got me hooked on building. It's a beautiful plane and flies wonderfully if you end up putting it in the air. However, it is a top-wing, but definitely not your average top-wing trainer. That kit will always have a special place in my heart so I thought I'd mention it.
Old 01-13-2015, 12:14 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Yup! Not only does SIG still have the Citabria as a kit, http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...ftF.html?E+Sig but they also carry the SEAGULL models version, http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar..._02MainBody_01

Nice to still have a source for GOOD kits.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:45 AM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Pilot Chad
So I posted here years ago. I'm sure a couple of the guys remember me (Looking at you RCKen).

Anyhow. I've got the bug to build a plane. Not sure if I'll ever fly it, or if I'll just build it for fun, but I'd like the option. So now begins the search for what models to build..

Here's what I want.

Something fun (Really would like low wing, but my mind can be changed, just not Top wing trainers. I'd like something that won't be terribly boring immediately).
Something not terribly hard to fly (No warbirds etc) Again, I'm not sure I'll even fly this, but if I do, I'd like something that won't be too hard.
A fun building kit. Not too hard, not too easy.

Now that leads me to look into a Sig 4* which i attempted years ago, but that was back when i was in middleschool and i failed miserably. I have no doubts I could easily knock out that kit now days, but I don't really want to do that kit again. I want something different, and am not sure whats out there, whats changed etc in all these years. So what are some ideas?
If you have the thumbs for it Few models will do you better than a Kaos in the 40 to 60 size, easy build and wiil fly with the best of em!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, Sig is still with us and producing some good kits. I still like the Bridi designs and Blue Jay Models is still cutting them. These are more of a builders kit though. By that it simply means the instructions don't have the nice photos for each step in the build, just printed pages. I'm just about to start cutting the templates for the Bridi Dirty Birdi right now. I'm a Kaos guy but found I like the Birdi even better. There are a lot of the Bridi planes in different sizes but I like the 60 size planes myself.
Tower still has a few kits left, very few but some good ones.
Old 01-26-2015, 05:02 PM
Fs one

A great planes Super Sportster .40 size. Has all the things you said you would like.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:10 AM
bikerbc

I have built and really enjoy Goldberg Tigers . They are a easy building low wing great flying sport plane .
Old 01-31-2015, 08:38 AM
Aquila1954
My Feedback: (1)

Ever thought about sailplanes? The Sig Riser 100 (100") is a good beginner to sport pilot in mind. You can build it as a pure sailplane or you can can set it up as electric too. There is also smaller version, the Sig Riser 2 meter 78 1/2". Just a thought. Something different to think about. The exciting part of flying sailplanes is to find and fly in thermals and to stay up for a very long time. Or you can fly slope which will give a person a lot of challenge also.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:10 PM
zippome

My first kit after getting back into the hobby was the tower fun 51 kit. A pretty easy build, and a ball to fly. Plus it's fairly cheap, so if you mess it up, you wont cry for too long.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:06 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zippome
My first kit after getting back into the hobby was the tower fun 51 kit. A pretty easy build, and a ball to fly. Plus it's fairly cheap, so if you mess it up, you wont cry for too long.
Fantastic flying plane too, the fun 51, Dazzler and Up-Roar are all using the same wing type and fly about the same but when I lost a fun fly event it was usually someone flying the 51. Not that the the pilots skills had anything to do with it but the 51 is a great plane!!And yes, a very easy build. These three planes are also great on floats.