Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Well here goes something

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Well here goes something

Old 01-16-2015, 11:14 AM
runout789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well here goes something

I am not sure you can call me a "beginner" as I have about 13 years of flying but have not flown in 12 years. I have had the itch to get back into the hobby for several years now and have finally convinced the female powers that be that "it wont be that expensive" I purchased a 40 size Seagull Nemesis back in November that is Magnum .46 powered. I figured I can fly the sims well and seem to still have the muscle memory so why start with a trainer??? Hopefully this does not prove to be an expensive judgement error. I then walked into the LHS the other day and picked up a very nice J3 Cub off consignment. It is Saito .72 powered and one of the 80 inch fabric covered Great Planes models. Someone did a lot of extra work with extra scale accents. I have decided to fly it first even though I will be more upset if I careen it into the ground than I will be the Nemesis. But, obviously, given the slow and easy offerings of a Cub combined in feeling like my first flight in 12 years probably shouldn't also be a MAIDEN. Sunday is supposed to be 8-10 straight down runway and mid 50's.....So join me in prayer to the RC Gods that my fingers and brain are all on the same page after all these years!

Ryan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_222231.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	2064200   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150111_222335.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	2064201  
Old 01-16-2015, 12:37 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Good luck with the maidens. Just remember the Cub likes to accelerate slowly/gently and you should be just fine. Also, a Cub WILL stall if you get her slow enough on approach. Keep your speed up so she doesn't just fall out of the sky.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:00 PM
runout789

AHH Yes...I remember the infamous ground loops....I grew up with a Cub in the back yard so I am very partial to them.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:05 PM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and don't forget to use the rudder with that Cub
Welcome back and GOOD Luck!!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 06:35 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

runout789, Your Sunday weather forecast sounds just like ours here in Georgia, West of Atlanta. Your member bio doesn't have your location information but if you're close by I would be happy to help you get back on the sticks on Sunday. I would hate to see you ding that Cub as they are nice planes and it's just not right to crash a Cub. I have the same G.P. Cub and have it on the charger set to fly on Sunday. If you're not close and I can't help, please get some one to help get you and the Cub back up in the air and down safely. It won't take much to get you going on your own again but the Cub could get hurt, and so could your wallet! Remember , you told your wife "it won't be that expensive". Good luck with that if you came home with the Cub in a trash bag! Where are you?
Old 01-16-2015, 09:12 PM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

If you have 13 years of flying experience, I almost want to suggest the Nemesis for starters, because I know the Cub has some issues when you slow it down and you have drag induced from the ailerons. They Nemesis looks like an honest flyer, maybe faster, but shouldn't surprise you. Just my opinion.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:29 AM
runout789

I have had the same thoughts. I am very familiar with the cub characteristics as well. A cub was my favorite to fly years ago and I am certain will still be. I have been searching for an Aeronca Champ with very little luck unless I want giant scale. I am in Gardner, Kansas for the poster who asked earlier. Thank you though for the offer of assistance. I am fairly confident batting a dead stick right of the get go that things will go smooth. Hopefully when I report back, I won't be eating that confidence.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:33 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It sounds to me like you're setting yourself up to fail. Why not get a sport plane like an Ugly Stick to get acclimated back into the hobby?
Old 01-17-2015, 09:15 AM
runout789

Jester, I would like to thank you for your vote of confidence. It was quite inspiring.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah, I was thinking a good Avistar would be an appropriate suggestion, but an Ugly stick is a great idea. Since you already have the experience, you're probably going to be alright. What's the worst thing that could happen? You ding up an airplane and you have to fix it? We do this all the time.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:06 AM
runout789

Tom, that was my thoughts exactly. I wouldn't throw my money in the air if I was questioning myself or my knowledge of general flight characteristics of the different planes. I did contemplate an ugly stick or similar, but decided of I have the memory to acclimate with it I can acclimate with the Nemesis. I will utilize a buddy box or something if someone is available, but I am confident I can get up and down safely either way. Might have a go around or two but that is expected I would think after this amount of time.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:32 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Just make sure the that motor has a good idle and the ail ,rudder and elev are moving the correct way with the sticks and fly it like you own it :-) Good luck on your maiden . joe
Old 01-17-2015, 04:52 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Gd luck my friend
Old 01-17-2015, 06:05 PM
68goat
My Feedback: (40)

Hey runout, good luck, you'll do just fine. It'll all come back after a few minutes, just concentrate on grabbing some altitude, doing some gentle turns, and awaiting "thumb memory" to take over. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:57 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I didn't mean any disrespect, Runout. You asked what we thought, and we told you. I'm a fan of playing it safe and giving yourself the best chance of a good experience. An Ugly Stick will do that for you. Others are a fan of going for the tougher challenges and hoping for the best so those would tell you to go ahead and give the Cub a try. Either way, I'm glad to see you back in the hobby and am hoping for the best possible outcome for your first flights with these planes.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:04 PM
brockettman

Ryan, You'll do great! Two planes in the hangar and some stick time on the simulator! Have fun!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:18 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you left the hobby as a competent pilot don't worry, I did the same thing. If you can ride a bicycle airplanes are no different regardless of the time lapse.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:05 PM
52larry52

runout789, Good luck with your Cub flight tomorrow. I will be thinking of you as I take off with my Cub tomorrow. For Kansas in January, your weather tomorrow sounds great. Make the most of it and enjoy. Make sure all the controls go the correct way, the fuel tank is full, the engine is needled just a touch rich so there are no dead sticks, throttle up gradually as you start your take off roll, get plenty of airspeed before lift off, small gentle inputs on the sticks in the air, get altitude to trim it, make several practice landing approaches during your flight, relax and fly the pattern, recall those practice approaches as you set up to land. Don't be afraid to abort your take off if is not going well, line back up and go again. Ditto on your landing set up, go arounds are fine. That's all my "words of wisdom". Have fun!
Old 01-18-2015, 02:32 AM
Lifer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Are you going to fly at the Hillsdale field?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:02 AM
runout789

Thanks all the weather forecast is turning into a windy one. Yes, lifer I will be going to hillsdale if the guests stay away. If not I may sneak away from work tomorrow as it looks better wind wise. Do you fly at Hillsdale? Jester, no offense really taken. I have read these forums for years even while not in the hobby and I know you meant only to be constructive.

Last edited by runout789; 01-18-2015 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:58 PM
runout789

double post sorry

Last edited by runout789; 01-18-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:01 PM
runout789

Well, it turned out to be a beautiful day. The wind picked up later in afternoon but I was able to get all the kids and airplanes loaded up and to the field. None of my children had seen rc flight so they were stoked about daddy's giant toys in the basement finally getting played with. There were a few other flyers getting there just as we did. Naturally the cub becomes a topic right of the bat. I did choose to fly it first. I am glad I did even though I would have been way more upset damaging it. After explaining that these were my first flights in over a decade everyone was very encouraging and eager to see how it went. I fired up the Saito after triple checking everything and with a couple clicks of richening, I was as ready as I was going to get. I followed it to the center of the runway rolled the throttle on slow and preformed a perfect knock kneed scale cub takeoff. Even I was shocked at how great it looked. I expected some jittery mess of a jerky climb to safety. Instead I was treated to a wonderful flight and after a bit of trim adjustment and a couple rolls and a hammerhead or two I made an approach and all seemed like second nature. Knees started again on final as I had about a 45 crosswind but my first landing after 13 years was maybe one of the best two point cub landings I had ever made. I could not have been a happier, fun filled, readdicted man if I tried. My wife looked relieved as well . The Nemesis was up next. I knew this would be a another animal from the cub. Same thing, follow to center of the runway and roll on the nitro. This one needed almost zero trim. I was extremely impressed with this arf from Seagull. It was sleek, fast and just beautiful in the air. The wind was becoming a lot more of a factor so I made a couple practice approaches. This thing REFUSES to slow down! It wants to fly, there is no question about that. But I was able to get it in for a few landings in before conceding that I was not going to risk gusty crosswind flying running what was otherwise a perfect first outing. Thank you to all of you for the words of encouragement and you can consider me the newest readdicted flyer on RCU. I look forward to great discussions, pictures, stories and advice. That is what I have always read here. So I expect nothing less.

Ryan

Last edited by runout789; 01-18-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:46 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

See, I told you so. Like I said I have been there and done that.
Old 01-18-2015, 07:19 PM
brockettman

Awesome... The wife is on board! Congrats!
Old 01-18-2015, 08:01 PM
52larry52

runout789, ALL RIGHT ! Two thumbs up. Sounds like it couldn't have gone better. I am very pleased for you. Now if you can just fix those knocking knees. I am impressed that you got flights in with both aircraft and to have your family there to share it all is just perfect. Welcome back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.