Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Classic TXs still used?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Classic TXs still used?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 08:29 AM
shd3920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic TXs still used?

I have an opportunity to purchase either of two Futaba transmitters, cheap, and I need to know before-hand if either are still accepted at a flying field and do they still have the proper trainer cords for them available at the field?

They are the Conquest http://www.ebay.com/itm/141546021510...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
or the Skysport 4 http://www.ebay.com/itm/331453431299...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Old 01-21-2015, 11:07 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The radios are still used and OK but with the price and shipping not worth buying. At any club you should be able to find people like myself with these or better sitting in there shops collecting dust and will just give them to you for free. I have several of the old radios myself. They all would also need a new battery. Most hobby shops will have the trainer cord on hand or they can be ordered. I have a like new Hitec 7 sitting in a closet I have given/loaned to several people. It has the spektrum module in it that can be changed to any of the 72 channels so you don't need all the same channel RXs, we called them dial a crash because you forgot what plane had what channel RX in it. It still gets loaned out once in a while to anyone needing it.
Go to a club and ask around.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:17 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Skysport and the Conquest were good transmitters in their day. There are still LOTS of people flying on 72MHz, and most clubs still allow it.

These will both use the older, round Futaba trainer cord plugs. You can still buy these cords and adapters so that they will interface with newer transmitters, but I wouldn't count on a club having them on-hand. Futaba released the first square-style trainer cords in either late 2001 or early 2002 when they introduced the 9C, so the older ones are becoming much less common now.

If you are looking for an affordable transmitter, I would suggest you look for a Futaba 9C or 9CSuper. You can grab one used for under $100 most days, and they are excellent module-based systems that can be upgraded to 2.4GHz easily. Alternatively, a Futaba 7C is an excellent transmitter as well. They are usually a little less expensive than the 9C, but they are still great transmitters. The downside is that they are not module based and you have to decide if you want to fly 2.4 or 72 at the time of purchase.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:22 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, as Gray Beard mentioned, you can find those older Skysports and Conquests for free or almost free a lot of times. Go to a swap meet and you will find tons of them that people are trying to get rid of.

I have a pile (literally) of them waiting to go to the next swap meet with me. I will probably set them out on the table and ask $2 or $3 each for them. The ones that I don't sell by the end of the show I'll probably give to a kid on the way out the door.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:40 AM
shd3920

Originally Posted by Lomcevak Duck
These will both use the older, round Futaba trainer cord plugs. You can still buy these cords and adapters so that they will interface with newer transmitters, but I wouldn't count on a club having them on-hand. Futaba released the first square-style trainer cords in either late 2001 or early 2002 when they introduced the 9C, so the older ones are becoming much less common now.
These the cords you talking about?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Futaba-MDTC-...item1c4c35841a

Still a deal for me. If I can get either transmitter for under $40 + shipping + adapter cord = alot less than the $160 for the newer Futaba radio sets.
I know newer is better but right now I need to get the cheapest I can get that would last me at least 0ne season. Just something I can finally learn to fly with.
I prefer the Conquest simply because it has the package deal.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:56 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Concerning the buddy cords The Conquest FM all had Futaba round buddy chords and you would need to finds or access Futaba round round or the Futaba round to square buddy cords. They may still be avalble for purchase but which of course depends on what you intend to use for the buddy box.

Now Futaba 4 YF uses the later Futaba square buddy plug port. But not sure on the Skyport you want to buy They may have all been with the square port but not sure. If the one you want to buy does in fact have the square port then you could actually use both the skyport together if you can find or buy the Futaba square to round cords.
Old 01-21-2015, 12:19 PM
JohnBuckner

Originally Posted by shd3920
These the cords you talking about?

Yes that is the round to square plug Futaba buddy cord that would be required to use those two radios together. But keep in mind if any other radio was intended then you might need round to round or square to square all depends?

Now regards to expecting that your RC club is to provide you with that particular buddy cord is really wishful thinking, maybe and maybe not. It is really your obligation to provide your own cords these days particularly if you are expecting to use obsolete equipment.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 01-21-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:11 PM
Gray Beard

Agree with what John said, the cord is up to you and not the club. I have never been in a club with a selection of cords but have been in clubs that supply a trainer and the master and box for new people. That way anyone instructing had use of it. I'm holding my cord, it's a square to round end. The three radios in the front are slaves, the one in back is my Futaba 9-C, it has a sq. plug and the hitec 7 on the left and the Futaba 6 on the right both have the round plug. My cord works with both of them as the slave. The old JR radio is completely different, my plug won't work with it at all. Before you do anything you need to know what end type your instructors radio needs and what end your radio will need for them to work together. No club will supply you with what type you may need.
People where I fly often walk the line asking if anyone has a buddy cord, if mine will work I loan it out for the day. If not then they have to keep walking and hope to find someone with the correct cord.
Don't buy your radio from an on line service like Ebay, get it from a club member and make sure it will take care of your needs. Last week I sold an old students brand new Spektrum 7 with RXs for 100 bucks. He was a kid that got into the hobby and got right out of it so his gear was only used once or twice.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_0105canopy0006.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	2066081   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_0105canopy0007.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	2066082   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_0105canopy0008.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	2066083   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_0105canopy0009.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	2066084   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015_0105canopy0010.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	2066085  
Old 01-21-2015, 02:48 PM
shd3920

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner

Now regards to expecting that your RC club is to provide you with that particular buddy cord is really wishful thinking, maybe and maybe not. It is really your obligation to provide your own cords these days particularly if you are expecting to use obsolete equipment.

John
I always thought that the flying instructors of the club supplied the 'instructor' transmitter and the student used their transmitter as the 'student' buddy box. So you are telling me that to use my plane as the trainer that I would need to supply BOTH transmitters? I definitely can not buy two transmitters at $160 each for the new ones. I definitely have to go this cheaper route. So how much is a Futaba buddy box?
Old 01-21-2015, 03:02 PM
shd3920

I found out that a Futaba Skysport 4 buddy box (first two photos) has a square plug end and the Futaba Conquest TX (third photo) has a round plug end. So the trainer cord (link below) would work with both.

Name:	Futaba Skysport 1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	2066088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Futaba Skysport 2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	2066089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Futaba Conquest.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	2066090  

Last edited by shd3920; 01-21-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:29 PM
Gray Beard

Not all clubs provide anything, sometimes not even an instructor. When you set up your plane and set the control throws it's done with your TX and that TX will become the master control. You will have to find an instructor and see what brand TX he has and buy a cord that will fit his gear. Otherwise the plane will have to be set up with his TX and RX and your TX will be the box. There is more to it then just showing up at a field with your plane and radio. Check with your local club first and get with an instructor to find things out. Someone like John or I have the items needed to set up your plane as a buddy box trainer, another club may not have that advantage.
I once belonged to three local clubs. At my home field my instructor had an 8ch Futaba, I had a 7ch Hitec. I set the plane up with my radio and gear so we used my radio as the master and when it was time to fly I had his radio in my hands and he had mine.
The other club had a trainer all set up with a buddy system and we used that to teach new members.
The third club had nothing but a couple of the guys did teach and had a cord. If you were lucky and the cord worked on his and your radio then yours would be the master.
Until you go to the club or club meeting you have no idea what the club has or has not in the way of anything.
My instructor also had a spektrum module and finally set up his radio to my trainer so I could use my own TX as the slave. That was in the days of 72, we didn't have 2.4 yet.
With my system, my old 9-C I can go back and forth between 72 and 2.4 and still have a spektrum module so if my cord fit your radio we wouldn't have a big problem. I would just program in your plane to my radio and you could use your own TX as the buddy box if my cord fir your radio. If it didn't then we would have to use one of my other radios as the box until you got the correct cord. I wouldn't be the one buying the cord, you would.
Lot of ways to skin this cat. Talk to an instructor first, he probably has everything needed. I do and I'm sure John does too.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:00 PM
[email protected]

i dont think any club schould tell u what radio you can fly on some people do like to fly and just dont have the money to buy a 2.4 radio
Old 01-21-2015, 09:57 PM
Gray Beard

Originally Posted by [email protected]
i dont think any club schould tell u what radio you can fly on some people do like to fly and just dont have the money to buy a 2.4 radio
I have never been to a club that didn't allow a brand or frequency type but a number of events have now banned 72 and they have a reason. The main reason is they no longer need to have a radio check station, they were a pain in the hinderpoo. Safety is another big concern and when you have big giant scale planes you don't need accidents with radio hits.
Clubs are member operated and the members vote on every issue. Events are often held by one main person that makes the decisions and can say what the rules will be. Like anything, if you don't like the rules then don't fly at the field or event. I have flown at a lot of different fields and the radio brand or frequency have never been a problem but the times do change. I read that Frank Teano {spelling} wouldn't allow 72 any longer at his giant scale events. It's his show and his rules. The rule worked out well for him.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:19 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been to clubs now that don't allow it anymore, as Gene already stated many of the larger giant scale events don't allow 72 anymore, in 2010 I flew one of the noon time demo flights at the Joe Nall event and they had already adopted that ruling back then so at least for me I am happy with the newer 2.4 systems, you just haven't lived until you have lost a $10,000.00 or $15,000.00 airplane due to somebody's moment of indiscretion. I myself have lost very expensive airplanes through no fault of my own prior to 2.4, so I know how that feels. I have also witnessed a transmitter left on in the case in the impound area of the Oklahoma Heat Wave event some years back causing a crashed and destroyed GS aerobatic airplane, I was also witness to a transmitter turned on for show and tell while being sold in the pit area of the Bomber Field GS war bird event leading to the destruction of a beautiful 100+ inch scratch built Spirit of St Luis with scale metal work and all. So as long as I fly 2.4 I don't really care what older 72 channel anybody flies with because I know that I am not going to get a hit or get a lockout due to a flip of a switch.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 01-22-2015 at 05:39 AM.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:22 AM
CESSNA 421
My Feedback: (17)

If you are interested in the older Tx's buy Kraft they are the only ones that are worth using today. I have 2 Kraft Signature Series radios I bought new in 1980 and I still use them on the 53mhz band. I actually like them a bit more than my new JR radios. Just remember if a radio has more whistles, bells and features don’t mean it's a better radio.

I don't own any radios on 2.4ghz however our club has been having a lot of issues with interference on the 2.4ghz frequency which has resulted in glitches and a few crashes. I am the only one in our club that flies on 53mhz J and I see no reason to change to 2.4.

Last edited by CESSNA 421; 01-22-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:42 AM
JohnBuckner

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I have never ever seen or run across a club that arbitrarily outlawed 72 without a good reason and that reason is 'safety' and that safety problem is caused by local severe interference that the club has no control over. How would you like to visit a club that had such a problem and there were channels or blocks of channels that were affected. Now suppose you were on one of those channels and lost your airplane because of the problem. My best guess you would be screaming bloody murder aginst the club Huh.

These situations are rare but a club with these problems choosing to become a 2.4 only club is to be commended not ridiculed.

Now when it comes to events especially competitive events yes most are going to 2.4 because it is a huge administrative relief and simplifies the required computer run matrix to avoid frequency conflict. This where the need is for everyone to fly aginst as many other competitors as possible. Do not confuse competitive contests with simple flyins were folks just show up and fly whatever. Most of those except the biggest, those that run multiple flight lines concurrently will still allow 72.

Don,t confuse individual clubs with events and especially competitive events.

John
Old 01-22-2015, 10:11 AM
Gray Beard

One of my clubs was the one that put on the Rally of Giants in Calif. When I left Ca. we didn't really have 2.4 so the issue never really came up. We had a huge impound area and it required 5 people to operate it once the pilots really got going. One day a pilot checked out his radio, went back to his camper to work on his plane then decided to take a nap without returning his radio or pin. That effectively closed down that channel until he woke up and brought back the pin and radio. We also had to scan each frequency before we checked out a radio.
I don't recall any problem like Bob mentioned at the event but I have seen a lot of crashes from people turning on a radio in the pit. I once had a problem at a club and I was to fault, I didn't have the pin in my pocket. It happens.
At the lake bed before I fly one of my planes I haven't changed over I have to walk the line. There aren't many still using 72 these days but sure enough there is another fellow that comes out once in a blue moon that is also on 15. I have almost gotten all my planes on 2.4 and should be completely changed over by the end of summer.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:01 PM
smallrc

I still fly on 72 MHz and 50/53 mHz. Several Kraft systems and my "new" radios are Ace MicroPro 8000's.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:05 AM
jetmech05

I am a CD I will ban 72 at my events. Why? No impound therefore it frees up a helper
Old 04-16-2015, 11:26 AM
deanz406
My Feedback: (28)

Default Older Radios

I would see if the radio u choose has been Gold stickered(narrow banded), and if so, it would be safe to use. Most flyers today have gone to 2.4 GHZ, and that leaves the 72MHZ frequencies completely open. I am a 72MHZ flyer, and in the 38 yrs I have been flying, I have NEVER had a glitch, or lost a plane because of freq interference. Our club has a freq board at our impound stand, and everyone uses it whether ur on 27MHZ, 53MHZ, 72MHZ, 0r 2.4. Notice I said 27MHZ- and some people thought that it was no longer in use being close to the CB band. Well, a lot of these RTF Park flyers that have the TX included in the box, use 27MHZ, like my Parkzone Cub.
I myself use nothing but 72MHZ, and will stay on it. My choice of radios, are the Futaba Gold series FG radios, and I do use the Conquest regular FM, and PCM TX's. I have seen fellow members have glitches, or wrecks operating a 2.4 radio, and don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it, but it has happened. I feel pretty safe flying my older radios, as there are only about 3-4 other members out of 122 members who are on 72, and the rest are on 2.4. As mentioned, these radios can be had for bargain prices, although I have seen the Gold Futaba FG TX sets going for $50.00- $100.00 on Ebay. If ur a beginner, then it would be wise to keep ur initial investment as cheap as possible, so, have someone check them out. Here is a pic of the radios i am currently using. Good luck in ur endeavor.

Name:	100_1146.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	2089617  
Old 04-16-2015, 12:57 PM
[email protected]

deanz406 i have 12 futaba radios on 72 oldest one is from the 60s and all the way up been to a lot of places no trouble with them i have seen to many creashes on 2.4>> even some guys at my field went back to 72>> i got 4 extra receivers off of ebay no trouble with them iam 83 and will keep flying untill i cant do it anymore good luck on the 72
Old 04-16-2015, 05:27 PM
FlyWheel

72 here too. Hitec Flash 5X. Probably the best 5 channel radio available, if the 5 channel 2.4 giga-jokes I've seen out there are any indication of the species!