Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Working on my first build... How do I attach this prop to this motor?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Working on my first build... How do I attach this prop to this motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:06 PM
dgrams2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working on my first build... How do I attach this prop to this motor?

Okay, so I will start by saying that I am really new to the whole RC Plane hobby... And that is why this is getting posted in the Beginners section.

So I'm about 3/4 of the way through my first build and I'm up to working on the motor.
I have this motor http://www.robotshop.com/ca/en/uav-b...14-1400kv.html

And a 8*4.5 prop is going on this motor.

See picture of the parts that I have for the items.
Tried doing some google searches on how to attach the prop to the brushless motor.
I found a few things, but nothing that really followed the parts that I have.

From what I can tell, The prop should slide over the top of the motor and then possibly use a rubber band to attach to the screws on the motor?

So, then I have the following questions:
1) The hole in my props does not fit over the shaft on the motor. Seems close, but I just cant get it on. Is it supposed to be a super tight fit that I would need to force it on? I wouldn't think so.
2) What are the plastic attachments that come with the prop? Are these used in certain cases with certain motors?
3) Are my parts somehow incompatible? Are there things to look for when fitting props to motors?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	2075055  
Old 02-21-2015, 01:27 PM
dgrams2000

I think I bought the motor without knowing what I was asking for. From what I have deducted so far, I need a motor with a shaft.
Just placed an order for a hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1300kv. That will get me where I need to go, I believe.

Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2015, 01:28 PM
dgrams2000

Duplicate post.
Old 02-23-2015, 05:34 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You could probably make that work. One of the basic tools that we all need is a prop reamer. Those little inserts are for fitting the prop to smaller shafts, but that doesn't always work. You need a prop reamer to fit the prop to whatever motor you need. There is a bit of a debate on which kind of reamer to use- the graduated precision sized reamers or a tapered reamer. I use a tapered one because all the hole really does is locate the prop on the shaft. There are no side loads on the hole once the prop is tightened onto the backplate. And the advantage of the tapered reamer is that it works for both SAE and metric shafts.

The other thing you need to consider is whether you want to use a prop saver or not. That's the o ring thing you have going on with the motor you have. Prop savers will keep you from breaking prop in a nose in crash, but they also sometimes offer unexpected chances at deadstick landings by throwing the prop in flight. I don't like them. If you don't want to use a prop saver, you'll need a prop adapter that fits onto the shaft of your motor.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:15 PM
dgrams2000

Hey Jester. When you talk about using the reamer, that is with the original motor that I have up in the first post, correct? The hextronik in the 2nd picture should be good to go, correct?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:59 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It might be. Or maybe not. Everybody has to ream props to fit the engine shaft. Close is not good enough. When prepping a new prop for a plane, you ream the prop to fit your shaft, then you balance it. And yes, that needs to be done on small electrics too since they also can be shaken apart or have their electronics disturbed by vibration.