Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First RC Plane Upgrade

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First RC Plane Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 08:40 PM
BleepBloopBlop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question First RC Plane Upgrade

I have been using my HobbyZone Champ for a while and am thinking of an upgrade. I was wondering if a warbird (I was thinking Durafly P-51) would be too advanced and i should take a smaller step to possibly the E-Flite Apprentice S 15e. If the Apprentice is no good what would be the next step after the HobbyZone Champ? Thanks!
Old 03-25-2015, 05:52 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm no expert but, having looked at the Hobbyzone site and both planes, IMHO you're thinking the exact right plane with the Apprentice as a #2. Once familiar with that (especially being that it's a larger and more "flyable" plane) you'll probably be ready for something like a P51 as a #3.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:32 AM
BleepBloopBlop

Originally Posted by skylark-flier
I'm no expert but, having looked at the Hobbyzone site and both planes, IMHO you're thinking the exact right plane with the Apprentice as a #2. Once familiar with that (especially being that it's a larger and more "flyable" plane) you'll probably be ready for something like a P51 as a #3.
Yeah, I think I'll get the Apprentice with SAFE next. Thanks so much for your imput!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:18 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Only thing I'd really recommend is that you fly the Apprentice until you're totally comfy with it, then unhook the SAFE system and fly it until it's WELL WITHIN your comfort zone. At about that point, when you're actually getting to the point that it's totally routine to fly and you know every little quirk - then, you're ready for that P51, or nearly any other plane.

You're going to find that the larger planes are somewhat easier to fly too. Lotsa reasons for it, weight being one of the bigger ones - they just handle the air/atmosphere better.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:31 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Apprentice. It is a larger 4-channel plane that will stick with you after you have "mastered" it in safe/beginner mode. It is very capable of aerobatic flight with safe turned off and the rates turned up and if you ever want to fly from water or snow there are floats and skis for it.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:39 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once the basics of RC flight are mastered, a good second plane choice is one of the sticks. The are usually simple and fairly rugged and will provide what is needed to advance one's skills. Because they have no cowl and canopy, they are simple, which helps keep one in the air and getting the stick time to improve skills. One of the great advantages is their ability to handle wind, especially those without dihedral. The square fuselage doesn't vane into a cross wind as bad as a P-51 will and the lack of dihedral avoids a cross wind getting under a wing and rolling the plane while landing. They are designed to stay on their feet much better than a war bird when landing.

Take a note sometime of how many experienced pilots still have a stick in their fleet... the reasons are that a stick is simple and the fun of flying them never seems to wane.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:17 AM
BleepBloopBlop

Thanks for all the imput guys! Super helpful! Also, i was just wondering if a 2200 mAh 3s 20c battery would work with it because they are MUCH cheaper than getting another 3200 mAh 3s 20c battery like the one included. Last, if someone happens to have what is the max windspeed I can fly the Apprentice S 15e in. Windspeeds are about 1-3 mph in the mourning and 6-9 mph in the afternoon where I live, not that bad just wanted to make sure. Again, the imput from everyone is extremely appreciated, apparently the RC community is really helpful!
Old 03-26-2015, 12:54 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd skip the apprentice. Get the mini ultra stick and ask an experienced pilot to do the initial trim flight for you and get the throws set properly. It's better in the wind, more neutral handling, and more aerobatic than the apprentice is, allowing you to go a good bit farther in your skill development with no real negatives unless you still find trainers fast and overresponsive.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:37 PM
Skycat80

You can fly 2200s in the Apprentice, you just won't get as long flight times. Initially, you'll probably be ok with it but you may end up wanting a bigger battery. When that happens, just go grab a couple bigger batteries and you're good.
As far as the wind speed goes, you can fly that in more wind than you're talking about. I have a Flyzone Beaver that I flew in 20+ MPH winds. It's a challenge, but totally doable. It'll sharpen up your skills as well.
As to the original question, I would say go with the Apprentice. Keep it in beginner mode while you get comfortable with four channel flying. Then you can progress through the other modes as your skills progress.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:20 PM
BleepBloopBlop

Originally Posted by Skycat80
You can fly 2200s in the Apprentice, you just won't get as long flight times. Initially, you'll probably be ok with it but you may end up wanting a bigger battery. When that happens, just go grab a couple bigger batteries and you're good.
As far as the wind speed goes, you can fly that in more wind than you're talking about. I have a Flyzone Beaver that I flew in 20+ MPH winds. It's a challenge, but totally doable. It'll sharpen up your skills as well.
As to the original question, I would say go with the Apprentice. Keep it in beginner mode while you get comfortable with four channel flying. Then you can progress through the other modes as your skills progress.
Thanks for the advice! I have been looking around on amazon and I found these:
"Venom 20C 3S 3200mAh 11.1 LiPO Battery with Universal Plug" for $40
"Venom 35C 3S 3300mAh 11.1 LiPO Battery with Universal Plug and hard case" for $45
"Venom 20C 3S 4000mAh 11.1 LiPO Battery with Universal Plug" for $40

Which one do you think is best? I don't want it to be too heavy or whatevers but is this company even good?
Also, (sorry as a newbie I have a TON of questions) do i need some sort of voltage checker to make sure im not to low on battery while flying? Thanks so much for the advice tho!
Old 03-27-2015, 03:06 AM
flyinwalenda

The 3200mah Venom is a good battery.
Here is another good battery from a good company. that is less expensive
http://www.valuehobby.com/power-syst...300mah-3s.html
You would need to change the connector or get an adapter
http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...e-adapter.html
Old 03-27-2015, 06:21 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's wise to stick with the recommended battery for your plane. There's a big weight difference between a 3200 and a 2200 which will make you have to shift components around to make it balance right, not to mention the short flight times.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:13 AM
BleepBloopBlop

Yeah I'll probably stick with a 3200-3300 mah battery, i just was looking at the venom cuz free shipping on amazon but i'll check out tat other 1. Thanks guys!
Old 03-28-2015, 05:14 AM
weedsnager

If you really want a warbird, the Corsair S is another option, it was my second plane, it has the Safe in it, just like the apprentice
Old 03-28-2015, 09:44 AM
BleepBloopBlop

Originally Posted by weedsnager
If you really want a warbird, the Corsair S is another option, it was my second plane, it has the Safe in it, just like the apprentice
I was thinking of that but the Apprentice S 15e looks easier and I wasn't all that good with my first plane. I managed to get the Champ off the ground and then land it straight away, I've smashed it into the ground a couple times and now its covered in gorilla glue and masking tape thats why I'm looking to replace it with something really easy because I'm not that good. (I don't have any relates or coaches/trainers near me so I'm learning off YouTube videos ) I would get a warbird, but I don't think I'm even close to that point yet.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:36 PM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by BleepBloopBlop
I was thinking of that but the Apprentice S 15e looks easier and I wasn't all that good with my first plane. I managed to get the Champ off the ground and then land it straight away, I've smashed it into the ground a couple times and now its covered in gorilla glue and masking tape thats why I'm looking to replace it with something really easy because I'm not that good. (I don't have any relates or coaches/trainers near me so I'm learning off YouTube videos ) I would get a warbird, but I don't think I'm even close to that point yet.
Way to go ! if more folks thought like you I believe there would be a greater number of new pilots sticking with the hobby. Typically most new pilots want to fly the more difficult planes as quickly as possible and all that happens is they get discouraged and quit after crashing the more difficult flying planes.
Progress in small steps like you are and soon you will be able to handle a warbird or a more aerobatic plane and all of the quirks that come along with them!