Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to hold the TX sticks?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to hold the TX sticks?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:05 AM
Jack_K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to hold the TX sticks?

Maybe a dumb question, but is there a correct way to work the transmitter sticks? With thumbs? With thumb and finger? etc?
Does it really matter? I would like to learn the best way to learn precision control of the aircraft.

Thanks,
Jack
Old 04-06-2015, 09:26 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good morning Jack the answer is there really is no right way. You will find there are two ways normally used and that is as you realize is with thumbs on top or using finger tips.

One thing is using finger tips most often requires the use of some sort of suspended transmitter tray and this for some proves to be cumbersome at times.

In the US the most common method is thumbs. The opposite may be true in some parts of Europe. Also it is some what activitiy motivated. For example trays and fingertips tends to be popular with pattern flyers as well as turbine flyers. The opposite is true of pylon racers as that activity is somewhat of a physical nature and the trays would be just to cumbersome.

To muddy the waters even further there are some that use fingertips but no tray but I would not recommend this to anyone just starting as there is a danger of literally dropping the transmitter.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 04-06-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:53 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned precision. If you want to fly smoothly and may have ideas about flying precision aerobatics there is little doubt that finger and thumb WITH A NECKSTRAP with or without a tray is the way to go.

If on the other hand your a hooligan like me and fly combat pylon and 3D hoverbatics then thumb on the end of the stick is the way to go.

Many TXs have sticks that are adjustable in length and longer with finger/thumb/tray is usually better, For thumbs find the length that lets you hold the box comfortably yet still get the sticks into the corners.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:17 PM
JohnBuckner

Other activity motivated forms of flying that I forgot and ones that pretty well rule out any form of tray and fingertip flying are ones where hand launching by the pilot is the norm and that would include many types of gliders and even more specific would be what are know as hand launch gliders and with these the norm is for the pilot to do either a javelin or discus launch while holding the transmitter in his opposite hand.

Also in this category are many types of what are known as, 'Old Timers' Its quite common here to for the pilot do hand launch while holding the transmitter in an opposite hand.

John
Old 04-06-2015, 05:41 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And then there is age and mobility in the thumbs that have to be considered, if one is past the age of 30 or so

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well lets see. I have been flying thumbs on top of the sticks for many many years. Flew Sportsman Pattern that way and did pretty well. Now, when I started flying nitro powered helicopters, I found that using just the thumbs caused me issues. I was to aggressive on the sticks. So I came up with wrapping my fore finger around the middle of the stick with the thumb on top. Gave me really good control but I had to learn how to wear a neck strap. That took some time. Then I started flying smaller E powered helicopters and went back to thumbs only and no neck strap. I hear how this method or that method is the best one. Well the best one is the one you find the most comfortable and gives you the best results.

Buzz.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:48 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I fly thumb and finger because I was taught this method. Most pilots fly thumbs only because again they were instructed in this method. Find two instructors, one using thumbs and the other thumbs and finger. Then you decide which is too your liking.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:11 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by j.duncker
You mentioned precision. If you want to fly smoothly and may have ideas about flying precision aerobatics there is little doubt that finger and thumb WITH A NECKSTRAPwith or without a tray is the way to go.

If on the other hand your a hooligan like me and fly combat pylon and 3D hoverbatics then thumb on the end of the stick is the way to go.

Many TXs have sticks that are adjustable in length and longer with finger/thumb/tray is usually better, For thumbs find the length that lets you hold the box comfortably yet still get the sticks into the corners.
That's very debatable. It's like asking is mode 1 or mode 2 better.

I fly FAI - F3A and use thumbs on the sticks as do many others. But I do agree, a neck strap is a must.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:50 PM
cclhuzhou

I have been flying thumbs on top of the sticks for many many years.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:19 PM
FSki

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Other activity motivated forms of flying that I forgot and ones that pretty well rule out any form of tray and fingertip flying are ones where hand launching by the pilot is the norm and that would include many types of gliders and even more specific would be what are know as hand launch gliders and with these the norm is for the pilot to do either a javelin or discus launch while holding the transmitter in his opposite hand.

Also in this category are many types of what are known as, 'Old Timers' Its quite common here to for the pilot do hand launch while holding the transmitter in an opposite hand.

John
The disadvantage of this is that I've seen the transmitter launched instead of the model.......................

I use finger and thumb, because that's what my instructor 35 years ago told me to do, I do use a tray style radio, but other fliers in our club use thumbs only.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:42 AM
Tepid Pilot

I use a tray and the thumb and index finger of each hand because I find it allows much more precise control. I learned to fly by the "thumb" method and the tray took some getting used to but the effort was well worth it.

This tray is an "Elite" from the long defunct Petal Manufacturing Co.

TP
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tx Tray.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	2087005  
Old 04-07-2015, 07:18 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by rt3232
And then there is age and mobility in the thumbs that have to be considered, if one is past the age of 30 or so

Cheers Bob T
Well Bob,

I'll have to take that in consideration since I was 30 years old, 41 years ago. Maybe I should use my whole hand.

Jack
Old 04-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whatever feels comfortable to you. My basic and advanced instructor were both thumb flyers, I'm a thumb and finger flyer that has used a neck strap from the beginning. I can fly without the strap but it feels funny to me. There really is no best way to do it. I did have problems doing loops at first because with two fingers you tend to pull the stick to the side but I figured that out fast and compensate for it.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:54 AM
Jack_K

Many thanks to all who have replied. I flew RC airplanes back in the late 70's up to 1982. At that time I was flying sport, Quickie 500, and Formula 1 Pylon racing, using thumb and finger. I suppose I was probably an advanced intermediate flyer since I never won a race. I thoroughly enjoyed building the planes, though. No RTF, BNF, etc. that I recall back then.

I recently have regained interest and have tried the flight simulators. I have Phoenix RC5 with which I can handle the Parkzone T28 Trojan pretty well, but the simulator just doesn't seem realistic enough. I also tried RealFlight 7.5, but I don't like it at all. I have tried several of the trainers but none seem as easy to fly as the T28.

Anyway, I started using thumb and finger in the simulators, but then switched to thumb only. Neither way makes me feel as confident as I recall from 1982. That's the main reason I posted question. I guess it's just a matter of redeveloping my hand/eye coordination whichever method I choose.

I just ordered a FlyZone Sensei Trainer that I'll attempt to fly in a month or so (after my surgery next week).

Thanks again,
Jack
Old 04-07-2015, 09:56 AM
iFrinkso

If you are suffering from arthritis you can get this rc glove!! Looks to be a lot easier on the joints. Just make sure you don't smack someone going around the pylons.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	2087032  
Old 04-07-2015, 11:12 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That would be way cool. I can see it now, a bunch of grown men on the flight line with our arms outstreatched making like we are tai-chi students. LOL.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:27 PM
FSki

Just a thought, a lot of us old timers started flying before the advent of programmable radios, so no expo or rates, was finger and thumb better for fine movements around the centre and maybe more widely used then. Now with modern radios you can desensitize the stick around the centre so don't need such fine control movements on sensitive models, and with many fliers also having been brought up with computer games, does this make thumb flying more natural.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:23 PM
duanen

Hi jack,
Old 04-07-2015, 10:28 PM
duanen

Hi Jack, i learnt to fly with the finger and thumb method on the sticks.But I found once i went into the more channel planes(flaps, retracts,brakes) I was havng issues when i needed to use a finger to activate the functions. i went to the thumb on top of the sticks and using the extra functions became a lot easier.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:09 AM
JohnBuckner

Originally Posted by Jack_K

I just ordered a FlyZone Sensei Trainer that I'll attempt to fly in a month or so (after my surgery next week).

Thanks again,
Jack

So anyway there you have it Jack, you will find many proponents on either side but the real answer is there is no wrong answer and in truth its really more of an activity driven factor as I tried to explain earlier with one method or another more or less practical dependant upon the activities you pursue.

Now let me tell you about your Sensai. I am primarily prefer glow that's a given but for the folks who wish to start or return with electric and use a trainer to do so the Sensai is absolutely the best out there. Bold statement well yes but let me explain. The Apprentice is the most often recommended traine howerver on typical well sites. But I teach actively and when using electrics I own and keep examples of both the Sensai and the Apprentice. The Sensai is a far superior trainer to the Apprentice. Our local hobby shop has sold more locally than his Tower handelers can believe.

We actively pursue events just for the Sensai such as this Saturday we are holding a pylon race just for them and on two hundred foot poles. (you might appreciate that from your pylon roots) Later this summer I am holding a cross country rally just for the Sensai'. This is just a 1.6 mile route flow from the back of pickup trucks but is not a race or endurance thing instead the pilot states his predicted time be for making the run then how close he comes is how its scored.

Bottom line choosing the Sensai was an excellent choice Jack.

John
Old 04-08-2015, 06:47 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by FSki
Just a thought, a lot of us old timers started flying before the advent of programmable radios, so no expo or rates, was finger and thumb better for fine movements around the centre and maybe more widely used then. Now with modern radios you can desensitize the stick around the centre so don't need such fine control movements on sensitive models, and with many fliers also having been brought up with computer games, does this make thumb flying more natural.
That's an excellent observation and suggestion. I plan to have flaps on a plane later. I'll work on the thumbs in the sim for awhile.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:48 AM
Jack_K

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Now let me tell you about your Sensai. I am primarily prefer glow that's a given but for the folks who wish to start or return with electric and use a trainer to do so the Sensai is absolutely the best out there. Bold statement well yes but let me explain. The Apprentice is the most often recommended traine howerver on typical well sites. But I teach actively and when using electrics I own and keep examples of both the Sensai and the Apprentice. The Sensai is a far superior trainer to the Apprentice. Our local hobby shop has sold more locally than his Tower handelers can believe.

We actively pursue events just for the Sensai such as this Saturday we are holding a pylon race just for them and on two hundred foot poles. (you might appreciate that from your pylon roots) Later this summer I am holding a cross country rally just for the Sensai'. This is just a 1.6 mile route flow from the back of pickup trucks but is not a race or endurance thing instead the pilot states his predicted time be for making the run then how close he comes is how its scored.

Bottom line choosing the Sensai was an excellent choice Jack.

John
WOW! Thanks, John. I guess I really made a good decision.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:28 AM
JohnBuckner

Yes Jack an excellent choice indeed and as an experienced flyer from long ago you will appreciate what an enjoyable airplane the Sensai is..

If you are ever in or near the wilds of northern Arizona please feel free to stop in and fly as our guest.

John
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 AM
N410DC

This question is one of the oldest debates in this hobby. As is the case with any debate, there is no correct answer. I have always flown with thumbs only, but I started using thumbs/finger with my quad. As others have said, you generally get more precise control with the thumb/forefinger method. Most multi rotor and heli pilots I know use two fingers on each stick. This tends to work well, since these pilot are moving both stick in all directions for most of the flight. I think the thumb/forefinger method is also popular with 3D pilots. Like multi rotor and heli pilots, they are manipulating both sticks continuously, for most of the flight. Many airplane pilots who simply "bank and yank" will use to left stick very little after takeoff and before landing.

My main complaint with the "thumbs" method is the fact that the ends of the sticks start to make my thumbs sore after a while. This is particularly noticeable when I am practicing on my simulator for long stretches of time, as I never fly for more than 15 minutes at a time at the field. I suppose this problem could be mitigated by adding something soft to the tips of the sticks. That said, the rough ends that are found on most sticks help to avoid the thumb from slipping off the end of the stick. Furthermore, it can be somewhat difficult for some people to fly with their thumbs if they are wearing gloves, if the inside of the glove tends to slide against the skin. One pilot I know has a pair of gloves with cut-outs on both thumbs, to allow direct contact with the sticks.

A neck strap or tray is a very good idea if you use thumb/forefingers. The tiny transmitter that came with my quad is small and light enough to be supported by my pinky/ring/middle fingers, but I would always use a neck strap with anything that is heavier or larger. I personally use a strap at all times with my Taranis, even when I am using my thumbs only, just for the added safety margin.

Originally Posted by duanen
Hi Jack, i learnt to fly with the finger and thumb method on the sticks.But I found once i went into the more channel planes(flaps, retracts,brakes) I was having issues when i needed to use a finger to activate the functions. i went to the thumb on top of the sticks and using the extra functions became a lot easier.
I agree. Most people have more dexterity in their thumbs and forefingers, as compared to the other fingers. Using the pinky/ring/middle fingers for the switches and knobs is doable, but usually more awkward than using the pointer fingers for these functions. It is harder to reach the multitude of switches and knobs on my Taranis if I am "pinching" the sticks. Even the sliders on the sides of the transmitter case are more difficult to use.

In the end, every pilot chooses the method he/she prefers. No one is "right" or "wrong" for the choice they make. I have never heard of an accident that could have been prevented by using one method over the other.

Last edited by N410DC; 04-09-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:39 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been flying pinched with thumb and finger since 1998 at the suggestion of a local TOC pilot.

I also NEVER use a neck strap, they can be a safety hazard around running engines and propellers, BUT THAT"S JUST ME.

I hold the transmitter with the remaining three fingers on each hand.

I'v NEVER dropped the transmitter.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.