Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to hold the TX sticks?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to hold the TX sticks?

Old 04-10-2015, 09:56 PM
jlguru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a pencil and paper. Write your name with your thumb on the top/eraser end of the pencil. Then write your name with thumb and fingers holding the pencil normally. Fine motor control is in your fingers, not your thumb. There is a reason it' called an "opposable" thumb and is unique to the humans/primates. I'm sure that with sufficient practice you could eventually learn to write your name the first way (people have learned to paint with their toes after all). But I think you;d learn the "fingers and thumb" way faster. Same thing with the sticks on your transmitter.

Last edited by jlguru; 04-10-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:52 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Logic reigns supreme.
Originally Posted by jlguru
Take a pencil and paper. Write your name with your thumb on the top/eraser end of the pencil. Then write your name with thumb and fingers holding the pencil normally. Fine motor control is in your fingers, not your thumb. There is a reason it' called an "opposable" thumb and is unique to the humans/primates. I'm sure that with sufficient practice you could eventually learn to write your name the first way (people have learned to paint with their toes after all). But I think you;d learn the "fingers and thumb" way faster. Same thing with the sticks on your transmitter.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:37 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Other activity motivated forms of flying that I forgot and ones that pretty well rule out any form of tray and fingertip flying are ones where hand launching by the pilot is the norm and that would include many types of gliders and even more specific would be what are know as hand launch gliders and with these the norm is for the pilot to do either a javelin or discus launch while holding the transmitter in his opposite hand.

Also in this category are many types of what are known as, 'Old Timers' Its quite common here to for the pilot do hand launch while holding the transmitter in an opposite hand.

John
Hmm I had just the opposite experience. I am pretty much a died in the wool thumbs flyer but found that using a tray when self launching large gliders on windy sites made it much safer. I did try using just the neckstrap and that helped but I still kinked a couple of aerials and on one memorable occasion neatly removed all but the base section.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:28 PM
biam

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MajorTomski
I've been flying pinched with thumb and finger since 1998 at the suggestion of a local TOC pilot.

I also NEVER use a neck strap, they can be a safety hazard around running engines and propellers, BUT THAT"S JUST ME.

I hold the transmitter with the remaining three fingers on each hand.

I'v NEVER dropped the transmitter.
same for me, never could get used to a neck strap. Glad to see your post, was feeling like the lone ranger for a minute. Never dropped a transmitter either. Pinch flier from day one.