Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

2nd Rc Planes Suggestion

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

2nd Rc Planes Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 10:46 PM
vtminh1993

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Rc Planes Suggestion

Hi all,

I am pretty new to this hobby, and sure it is an expensive hobby (but it's fun). So I have been flying a duet for a week or so and I am pretty good with it. I do played quite a few video games so learning how to fly this thing is a breeze, and I think it's time for me to go to the next level. But of course being new to this, I still have a lot of things to learn so I am posting my question here so you experts can a newbie out Here is my plan:

1. Getting a Turnigy TGY-i6 Tx and Rx from hobby king.

2. Get a PnF 4 channel plane. I have not decided on which one I am getting yet, but probably I will get a micro electric that's under $100. I will probably still crash it now and then so I think just go cheap for now is good enough. I will move up to a more expensive airplane later on.

So now here comes the question: From what I have seen, the receiver comes with the i6 is fairly large for a micro rc planes so I don't know if it is going to work. Do I need to buy a normal size airplane to use the Tx and the Rx? I have been doing some research but no luck yet on this matter. Also, I was thinking about picking up a Dx6i to use it with Phoenix RC Simulator but it is a bit out of my budget right now. I'd like to ask if there is any alternative for the i6 that works with the simulator (doesn't have to be Phoenix)?

Thanks a lot for your time!
Old 05-04-2015, 01:53 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The DX6i or a similar transmitter is a good investment if you plan to go beyond the beginner planes. Save your quarters for another month or two and get a better transmitter.

I have to disagree that you're "pretty good" as a pilot just yet. You've only been at it a week, and you're flying a plane that is designed to be virtually impossible to crash. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the hobby, but there is still a lot to know to be able to fly better performing planes without the training wheels. So first I'll give you some things to work on before graduating to the next skill level.

1. Precision control: if you are like 99% of teenage beginner RC pilots, you bang the sticks to their extreme positions as if they are buttons on a video game controller. You can get away with that on a plane like the Duet, but with a better flying sport or scale plane you'll wind up getting disoriented quickly. So start learning to be smooth and only using the amount of control that's required to put the plane where you want it.

2. Smooth landings: You didn't say what your flying area is like, but if it's fairly smooth you should be greasing in your landings, touching the wheels down wherever you want and rolling to a smooth stop. Many beginning pilots learn to just ditch these little planes in the grass, and that leads to bad experiences later. Learn to recognize the stall and flare the plane for good controlled landings.

3. Working with the wind: Every beginner lets the wind push the plane around. Even some experienced pilots do. But you're not in control until you can make passes where you want them to be no matter what the wind is doing.

So after another few weeks of working on those skills, you could consider the Hobby Zone Select Piper Super Cub (the 4 channel plane, not the 3 channel one), or the Parkzone T28. Both have 4 channel control and can take some abuse, and both are big enough to fly in light winds.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:59 PM
vtminh1993

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
The DX6i or a similar transmitter is a good investment if you plan to go beyond the beginner planes. Save your quarters for another month or two and get a better transmitter.

I have to disagree that you're "pretty good" as a pilot just yet. You've only been at it a week, and you're flying a plane that is designed to be virtually impossible to crash. I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the hobby, but there is still a lot to know to be able to fly better performing planes without the training wheels. So first I'll give you some things to work on before graduating to the next skill level.

1. Precision control: if you are like 99% of teenage beginner RC pilots, you bang the sticks to their extreme positions as if they are buttons on a video game controller. You can get away with that on a plane like the Duet, but with a better flying sport or scale plane you'll wind up getting disoriented quickly. So start learning to be smooth and only using the amount of control that's required to put the plane where you want it.

2. Smooth landings: You didn't say what your flying area is like, but if it's fairly smooth you should be greasing in your landings, touching the wheels down wherever you want and rolling to a smooth stop. Many beginning pilots learn to just ditch these little planes in the grass, and that leads to bad experiences later. Learn to recognize the stall and flare the plane for good controlled landings.

3. Working with the wind: Every beginner lets the wind push the plane around. Even some experienced pilots do. But you're not in control until you can make passes where you want them to be no matter what the wind is doing.

So after another few weeks of working on those skills, you could consider the Hobby Zone Select Piper Super Cub (the 4 channel plane, not the 3 channel one), or the Parkzone T28. Both have 4 channel control and can take some abuse, and both are big enough to fly in light winds.
I highly appreciate your comment. I do have some experience flying RC Heli so I do know how to control the power of the throttle and stuff. Also, I also always try to land smoothly on the concrete as well (it's the best feeling for me when I see the plane lands smoothly). I am not saying that I am good at flying rc planes, it's just that the Duet is a bit too easy for me to fly. I want something a little bit more difficult. Just a little bit because I know my limit. There are still a lot of things that I need to learn. I like the Parkzone T28 that you mention. I will do some research around before buying it.

And for your third point, I usually launch the plane into the wind. That's all I know about working the wind. Is there anything else that is important while the plane is in mid air?
Old 05-05-2015, 03:49 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Very much so. Just for starters, you need to learn how to adjust for drift so that you can go from point A to point B in a straight line. Compensating for wind while turning is another one that takes practice. I'm sure others will have more to add to this list. Just remember, any time you're flying at an angle to the wind, the plane will drift downwind and off the desired course.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:27 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Handling the wind for every second of the flight is what separates the decent sport pilots from the good pattern pilots. Here are a few things you need to learn. Mind you, with your Duet, you're going to be limited on what's possible. The T28 will allow you to work on these skills a lot more while being no more difficult to take off and land with.

1. Straight pass down the middle of the runway in any wind. You'll need to adjust the rudder to make the plane crab to prevent wind drift.

2. Perfectly vertical big loops. Loops are the foundation for all aerobatic flight because every aerodynamic force is involved and every control surface is used in a good one. You'll need to compensate for P factor in the first 1/4 of the loop, then torque when the plane is vertical, and the effects of wind for the entire loop. In a side wind, the loop will corkscrew if you don't adjust the rudder for the wind, and you'll need different amounts of rudder compensation in different parts of the loop. Obviously, not all of this is possible with a 3 channel plane, but it's the foundation for learning everything else. When you can do 3 loops with about a 150 foot diameter and retrace your path for all three of them and not drift left or right, you are well on your way to good airplane control.

3. Crosswind landing on the runway. Similar to #1, but with the added tasks of flaring properly and dealing with changing rudder sensitivity as the airspeed decreases.