Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Single stick

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Single stick

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:14 PM
josh h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single stick

Hey guys, been a while since I was into arial r/c vehicles. Well, I was recently in a bad motorcycle wreck that resulted in my right arm being amputated. Well, I refuse to let that get in the way of my love for R/C. I've masters the cars/trucks one handed, now I'm ready to tackle the planes and helis. My question is, what is the best single stick radio that I can get? I know it is real old technology but It my only option to get back into flying. RadioSouth said they could build me a radio for about 800 bucks. But I can't afford that. So I'll settle for an old single stick to get started again. If there's a SS radio that I can buddy box with, that would be best. Anyway, thanks for any info.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:05 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I taught someone in a similar situation. This was in the UK. We got the TX built by someone in Southhampton. This is all about 15 years back so I don't know if Southampton guy is still in business.

Something to consider is learning to fly with rudder and ailerons coupled with throttle on a left slider. We added a little vertical extension so he could operate the slider using his little finger.

Would you be interested in PM or email with him. He is one of the good guys and I have enormous respect for him. He lost a leg in the accident and has a totally paralyzed arm. He builds all the time and is currently 3/4s of the way through a B 17 build.

The pic shows him taking his BMFA A certificate flight exam.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	august 2005 017.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	368.7 KB
ID:	2094859  
Old 05-09-2015, 07:21 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Email the guy who started this thread. It looks like he's figured out how to do it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1880879
Old 05-12-2015, 10:33 AM
josh h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to e-mail that guy and see what his single stick mod requires or how much he charges to do it.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:00 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Josh, so very sorry to hear of your disability but happy to know that you are trying to get around it. Wishing you all the best in finding a suitable radio for your needs.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I made one out of a HK Orange transmitter and a computer joystick the you twist for rudder. You can see the throttle roller on the top left corner of the box. Had to learn to fly all over again as your thumbs don't work any more. Something like this might work if you could get someone to make it for you. I took the pots out of the Orange trans and mounted them in the joystick mechanics.

Gord.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Joystick 2 007.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	2095597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Joystick 2 001.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	2095598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Joystick 2 002.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	2095599  
Old 05-13-2015, 10:36 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice work fly paper
Old 05-14-2015, 04:38 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm not too far away from you Josh here in NW Fort Worth. If you find a design you want to try out and buy the materials, I'd be happy to devote a day to helping you build it. I'll be staying home with my daughter this summer once school lets out, so I'm flexible enough with my time to take on something like this. And I would truly love to do it both for the technical challenge of it and to help get an RC pilot in the air who wasn't able to before.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:13 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Why do you need a special radio?

So, let's discuss what kind of flying you want to do and if you really need a special radio. Today's computer radios can do a LOT with mixing that might help you.

First, there are lots of 3 channel electric planes that can be flown with a single stick and the throttle. Throttle can be on a switch or a side slider if you like and all can be reached from one hand. No messing with nitro or needles or any of that stuff. Starts every time.

You can mix ailerons to rudder so that you can do coordinated turns without having to use two sticks.

Flying wings, glow or electric, are usually 3 channel whether gas or electric so only one stick needed.

Tons of 2 and 3 channel gliders.

There are a LOT of planes and receivers coming on to the market with flight stabilization that could work well for you.

Tray radios might work well for you, especially when combined with flight stabilization.

So, what are you trying to do? You may not need a special radio.

Last edited by aeajr; 05-29-2015 at 11:20 AM.