Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What Do You Think Of This Radio

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What Do You Think Of This Radio

Old 05-11-2015, 08:25 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
... And there is no need to have more than you need, that is for sure. ....
Booo! Hissssss!!!!

Kurt
Old 05-12-2015, 05:21 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh that Krafty is a nice plane. One of the guys in Tbirds built all three sizes a few years ago. He was a big fan to say the least. I plan to be at the field this Saturday unless something comes up. Hopefully we'll get to meet in person finally.
Old 05-12-2015, 05:43 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Indeed It has been my experience when folks are first starting out the most successful and most likely to continue and grow into the hobby/sport are those who heed the advice to: Always when starting to acquire the most current and that means the evil 'computer radio" with all that you can afford.

Now Ratshooter forgive me I do know your situation is different and you have had experience for some years but its important to stress that advice above for the new folks coming into the hobby. The Time for leaning computer radios is indeed right from the very start. I am aware of how difficult it is for folks of an earlier era to learn this stuff. Having personally experienced in RC five completely different identifiable types of RC systems. Systems which required in effect learning to fly all over agine in a different way each time. This since the late fifties and of course also my beloved controlline since the early fifties of which I am proud of the fact I have remained remained somewhat involved without ever stopping all these years.

My apologies for the bio but I thought it would help to illustrate I do understand your position. Now back to the Attack radios and the 610 you linked Ratshooter. I do think it is a viable and reliable system. It is a single airplane system and it has no Adjustable Travel Volume or End Points (both of which means the same thing) it dos have many other computer features that it would benefits you such as dual rates on all three major flight controls and yes dude that's worth learning Other valuble computer features are V tail and elevon for thos popular flying wings.

OK now for one of the most unique and that is the cordless buddy system (a buddy cord with no cord, Yes) I know you already know how to fly but how many time times have wanted to help a son, grandkid or whatever. yup I'll bet. A cordless buddy cord does have an effect on them a very positive effect.

Last but not least the next attack model up does have those adjustable end points you spoke of and I think more model storage, another thirty bucks or so.

John
Old 05-12-2015, 09:10 AM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello John. The wireless buddy system would have sure been useful many years ago when I was teaching friends to fly. We mostly just passed the transmitter back and forth. I eventually got a slave radio and a buddy cord and that sure helped. My two sons never had any interest in model planes. I have no grandkids. At 58 I am still too young for that. And i did look at the next up Tactic radio. Heck I looked at all the 6 channel radios that tower sells. There are almost too many choices. I have been quizzing the guys at the field about radios too. I really don't think there is a bad choice out there. Just pick the features you want and go for it.

Jester it sounds like we are going to be rained out this weekend. Here are the pics of my new plane. I had to take them in the garage. Its raining again and so they aren't very good photos but you get the idea.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001F (6).JPG
Views:	42
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	2095532   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-002F (6).JPG
Views:	50
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	2095533   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003F (6).JPG
Views:	45
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	2095534  
Old 05-12-2015, 09:37 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

deleted

Last edited by HoundDog; 05-12-2015 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:39 AM
[email protected]

ratshotter just go to a field and see what the men there use
Old 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by vertical grimmace
Getting new stuff is part of the fun. And there is no need to have more than you need, that is for sure. Sounds like you are having fun with the hobby, and that is all that matters.

I just bought a new radio as well. It is kind of the opposite extreme. It will do just about anything!

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-dupl...nly-radio.aspx
Interesting: Do you know you can get everything that radio does with FR-sky Traranis at 1/4 the price?
Old 05-12-2015, 11:15 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Why not take a look in the Classified section, you might just find a gem of a deal waiting there for you.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Bozarth

Make the smallest investment you can at the start - buy the most affordable one, not the most expensive one you can afford. Use it for a season, and if you enjoy the hobby, you will enjoy ugrading. Ugrading is part of the fun. Don't buy anything thinking that it will be around forever...you will want a new version regardless. Having more than one is also part of the fun.

Kurt
Old 05-12-2015, 01:37 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

If you buy a cheap radio you are getting what you paid for. Spend a little more on a better radio, you won't regret it!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:06 PM
Bozarth

Just don't equate "cheap" with affordable...A four channel radio is more "affordable" than an eight channel, but it isn't necessarily cheap...

Kurt
Old 05-29-2015, 10:54 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ratshooter
I am looking for a first 2.4 radio and the more I look at this model the better I like it. Plus the price is right. I like the fact that it is NOT a computer radio and should be simple to set up. I have a Bridi Aircruiser 25 I would like to put it in. The only thing I am not sure of is if it has end point adjustments on the servo travel. That's a feature I really like. Especially on the throttle. It takes alkaline batteries if you don't want to use NiCads or other rechargable batteries. My son works at the hospital and brings me all the double a batteries I want. They use them once and install new batteries in the testers they use them in.

So tell what you think.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEKXY&P=0
Context is everything. The Tactic radios are fine. Since you have computer radios that you know how to set-up, you know they can easily be converted to 2.4 GHz.

If you just want a simple 4-6 channel that Tactic should be fine.

I have two Futaba 9C Supers converted to 2.4 GHz. But I also have a Spektrum DX5e that lives in the box with my Radian and is only used for that glider. I like it a lot. I could move the Radian over to the 9C Supers, I have a Spektrum module for them, but sometimes the simple radio is the right choice.

I would not go an buy a standard radio unless I was going to use it in some way that might put my computer radios at risk. But getting it in an RTF packages if fine.

BTW, I used to own a Hitec Prism 7X. Sold it when I went to the Futaba 9Cs.

Note that it would be cheaper to convert your 8103 to 2.4 GHz than the price of that Tactic radio. In fact you could convert both of your radios to 2.4 GHz for the price of that Tactic and would have full telemetry potential too.

http://www.alofthobbies.com/radio-ge...ry-system.html

And this is very good stuff, not junk.

Last edited by aeajr; 05-29-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:15 PM
castlebravo

While I understand the simplicity aspect of wanting a basic non-computer radio dedicated to a particular aircraft.....consider this please.....Just as with a multi-engined aircraft...the likelyhood that you will experience an engine failure goes up proportionally with the number of engines..........With the more transmitters you have......the likelyhood that you will forget one while heading out to the field goes up proportionally also. Also....the distance you travel to get to the field...has a direct relation to the things you're going to "forget to bring to the field"........Field within 5 miles.....you'll never forget anything.......field farther than 30 miles.....you will start forgetting transmitters....wings...canopies...etc...etc...etc .....

CB
Old 05-29-2015, 02:22 PM
aeajr

I had not considered the, "brought the wrong radio" factor. Heaven knows I have heard that before.

Other than my Radian, which has the plane and the radio in the same box, I have two radios and they both come to the field with me every time. One is back-up to the other and either one can fly any of my planes, including the Radian. Would have to forget both radios to be in that situation.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:37 PM
ratshooter

Hello AEAjr thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ordered a battery pack and switch for the second receiver I had on hand and installed those in the second plane I was wanting to fly. I test flew it last sunday. Not a single problem. I really like my JR radio. I have gave a lot of thought to converting to 2.4 by either buying the module for my existing radio or just going ahead and getting a new model. I am really enjoying flying models again. I have no problem upgrading or spending money if I see there is a need. Thanks for the link. Now I know what telemetry is.

Losing the binding on the radio is one of the reasons I have hesitated to go to 2.4. I have had several guys at the field tell stories of radios losing their signal and planes crashing. I haven't lost a signal to a plane since the late 70s when all we had was AM signals. And now with everyone else using 2.4 I never have to share a frequency with anyone at the field. I pretty much have the whole 72mhz board to myself. But I will buy a 2.4 radio. And I suppose it will be a better grade than the one I listed just so I can program in more than one plane.

Castlebravo I have already done the forgetting the radio, brought the wrong radio and forgot the friggin' wing thing. It happens if you go to the field enough. Now I mostly just take one plane at a time and check to make sure I have everything for that model.

And you forgot to mention about forgetting the fuel. Done that too.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:04 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

And now with everyone else using 2.4 I never have to share a frequency with anyone at the field. I pretty much have the whole 72mhz board to myself.
People comment about me using my 'old' 36 MHz radio at the field and how you can be 'shot down' by someone on my frequency.

The only one on my frequency slot on the keyboard now is a spider!

Come to think of it, every other frequency slot.

2.4 ghz radios - the biggest advancement for 36 MHz radios ever!

John.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:25 PM
aeajr

So true. There are so few pilots on 72 MHz in the USA that frequency conflicts are truly rare these days. It is so quick and cheap to switch to 2.4 Ghz that most people have changed over. And new pilots don't even know what frequency control is.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:10 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Of course this may not matter to many in this thread, but 2.4 has profound benefits. Telemetry is one of them. Also it's ability to deal with spark ignition noise. With so many converting to gasoline, have a tight resistance to spark noise is important. Especially with the smaller models, with the new smaller gas engines. The ability to have info sent back to your TX is of great importance to many as well. Maybe not if you are just punching a 4-5 channel kaos through the sky, but for more complicated models it is very handy to know what is going on. To me, the major radio manufacturers are being left in the dust, other than Spektrum. They are trying to keep pace. But Jeti is where it is at right now.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:52 PM
ratshooter

The ability to have info sent back to your TX is of great importance to many as well. Maybe not if you are just punching a 4-5 channel kaos through the sky, but for more complicated models it is very handy to know what is going on.
See there. You nailed it. I doubt I will ever fly anything with more than 4 channels. I simply can't see where telemetry would help me out with the models of my choice. That was the whole premise of this thread. A simple 2.4 radio for a simple model.

Right now I have no real interest is gas models. Glow is just fine with me. I have been moving more towards smaller models rather than bigger. I like planes that take a 25 to 40 sized engine. I have a Little Stik kit (seen in the above photo) that may be my next build. Not tiny like an .049 but big enough to fly in the wind but easy to transport and set up and you don't need a micro radio for weight restrictions. I have owned two Little Stiks way in the past. There are a couple of Bridi kits still available from Blue Jay models I have my eye on. A Krafty 25 and a Warlord 25.

And I do hope to get an electric model someday if I can get some help from the guys at the field about what to buy for a 25 sized plane. I would love an electric Seniorita. I have owned three of those in the past and they were some of the best flying models I have flown. I did change them up to be tail draggers with bolt on wing and ailerons. Most of the dihedral gone too. An FP-25 flew them just fine. Cool planes.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:00 PM
vertical grimmace

.15-.25 sized planes are a blast for sure. I want to build a Sig Kobra one day. But after I get finished with my latest scale monstrosity, I have a .25 sized twin on the board called a .50 caliber. A pattern style twin model for 2 .25's. I have alway's loved my glow engines, but they are going away, and the engines are going to be harder to get.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:55 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ratshooter - I have one of the Tactic TTX850 transmitters and it seems to be a good deal. Only complaint is I seem to have fried a diode in it and so cannot use the wall charger. The SLT technology appears good in use and the price is right. It's an improvement over the Tactic Module I had been using on my Spectrum and Futaba transmitters to handle the SLT models I have.

The 610 is very much like the transmitters I was using in the late 70's. You will outgrow it FAST. But, with no model memory it will teach you how to properly set up linkages if you want to use a second model. You'll have to bind to it to each model every time you use it. That will be a pain.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 PM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
Ratshooter - I have one of the Tactic TTX850 transmitters and it seems to be a good deal. Only complaint is I seem to have fried a diode in it and so cannot use the wall charger. The SLT technology appears good in use and the price is right. It's an improvement over the Tactic Module I had been using on my Spectrum and Futaba transmitters to handle the SLT models I have.

The 610 is very much like the transmitters I was using in the late 70's. You will outgrow it FAST. But, with no model memory it will teach you how to properly set up linkages if you want to use a second model. You'll have to bind to it to each model every time you use it. That will be a pain.
That diode is an old game the radio manufactures play, to force you to use their charger. You can solder a jumper wire across to complete the circuit and bypass that diode. Very simple really.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:38 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Ratshooter have you shot any rats lately?
BTW the fellows at your field that have trouble with 2.4 are probably not using a good battery system. On 72 your batteries could go all the wau down to 3.2 v and your system will still work. Not so with 2.4. Its best to use 6v with 2.4.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:25 AM
ratshooter

Dirtybird killing rats is how I got my name. At the gun store I dealt with I was known as "Tom the ratshooter". Where I use to live I had a creek behind my house. I had a pecan tree and a huge fig tree. Both were rat and squirrel magnets. I killed squirrels by day and rats at night and blue jays anytime I saw them. When I reached a count of 200 rats and 200 squirrels I stopped keeping count. But I kept on killing. Thanks for the heads up on using 6 volt batteries. I will keep that in mind when ordering my flight packs.

Vertical Grimmace glow engines may be going away but I will be gone before they are. I don't think that gas will be the demise of glow but electric will. And thats just because of the new guys that refuse to learn how to operate glow power. And I know a lot of old timers have switched to electric exclusively.

I have been trying to buy a NIB OS fp 15 off ebay for a couple of months now. I either get outbid or they reach a crazy price I don't want to pay. I am patient. I will find what I want at the price I am willing to pay. It be after fall before that happens when most flyers hang it up for the winter.

Last edited by ratshooter; 05-30-2015 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:07 AM
vertical grimmace

Originally Posted by ratshooter
Dirtybird killing rats is how I got my name. At the gun store I dealt with I was known as "Tom the ratshooter". Where I use to live I had a creek behind my house. I had a pecan tree and a huge fig tree. Both were rat and squirrel magnets. I killed squirrels by day and rats at night and blue jays anytime I saw them. When I reached a count of 200 rats and 200 squirrels I stopped keeping count. But I kept on killing. Thanks for the heads up on using 6 volt batteries. I will keep that in mind when ordering my flight packs.

Vertical Grimmace glow engines may be going away but I will be gone before they are. I don't think that gas will be the demise of glow but electric will. And thats just because of the new guys that refuse to learn how to operate glow power. And I know a lot of old timers have switched to electric exclusively.

I have been trying to buy a NIB OS fp 15 off ebay for a couple of months now. I either get outbid or they reach a crazy price I don't want to pay. I am patient. I will find what I want at the price I am willing to pay. It be after fall before that happens when most flyers hang it up for the winter.
Why not go to Hobby people and get a new Magnum XL .15? They are a better engine really, with more power. Readily available, and not very expensive. They even have venturi inserts if you wanna tune them down a bit. This would also aid in fuel draw.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.