Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What Do You Think Of This Radio

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What Do You Think Of This Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 04:21 PM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Do You Think Of This Radio

I am looking for a first 2.4 radio and the more I look at this model the better I like it. Plus the price is right. I like the fact that it is NOT a computer radio and should be simple to set up. I have a Bridi Aircruiser 25 I would like to put it in. The only thing I am not sure of is if it has end point adjustments on the servo travel. That's a feature I really like. Especially on the throttle. It takes alkaline batteries if you don't want to use NiCads or other rechargable batteries. My son works at the hospital and brings me all the double a batteries I want. They use them once and install new batteries in the testers they use them in.

So tell what you think.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEKXY&P=0
Old 05-09-2015, 06:11 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

If cost is a factor it should be a great entry level radio. It does not offer a lot of of options that you may want later?????

In this hobby it pays to buy more than what you need at the moment as we all progress (hopefully) in this hobby. Look around there are some nice radios for a little more..
Old 05-09-2015, 07:58 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Complete waste of money.

You can't run more than one plane on it at a time, and you don't get any of the programming features. So you will be buying another radio as soon as you solo and graduate to a sport plane. Would you buy a TV with the old knob type channel changer because you were worried about how complicated the remote looked on the newer ones? Of course not. I'm honestly baffled by the guys on here who advise new pilots to start with an analog radio. Planes fly smoother with a properly set up computer radio, which takes all of 10 minutes with the manual to learn how to do. Just the time savings alone that end point adjustments and dual rates give you in setting up a new plane and dialing in the throws make it worth it.

Get a quality made 6-7 channel computer radio and enjoy it for years to come. Futaba, Airtronics, Tactic, JR, and Spektrum all make serviceable units.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:21 AM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If it had end point adjustments Tower probably would have mentioned it. If you don't use all the fancy stuff, a computer radio isn't much harder to set up than any other, and even if you do use them it's not that hard.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:34 AM
jetmech05

That radio won't last you very long. Shell out the bucks now for a computer radio, you'll be glad you did inthe end
Old 05-10-2015, 08:07 AM
ratshooter

I have two computer radios now. I liked that radio because it was NOT a computer radio. Jester I soloed in 1978 and have built to the best of my count over 45 RC airplanes. Several of my own designs. I am sure a couple of them had their pictures in a model magazine in a Randy Randolph article. I have also taught several people to fly RC.

I think I will pass on this radio. I may just pull the radio from my scratch built Sweet Stik and use it in the Aircruiser. But thanks for the replies. Those were the answers I was looking for.

Last edited by ratshooter; 05-10-2015 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:52 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An excellent choice for getting your feet wet. The Tactic is a very good radio and, if you like it, you can get their TX850 (an 8 channel system with all the bells and whistles) that will also let you use it later as a wireless trainer at a very reasonable price. I have the Tactic TX650 and the TX850 and IMHO one of the best buys in the business. I also have the Spectrum 6i, Futaba 6Ex, Airtronics 8000 and the 650 and 850 are preferred as they are easier to program and very reliable. If you have not purchased it yet, I'd suggest you jump right into the TX850 as it will do all you will want a system to do for a long time as the price difference in quite small yet the features much greater.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:42 AM
jetmech05

Don't get defensive you asked us for our opinion.
Old 05-10-2015, 11:11 AM
ratshooter

Jetmech i am NOT being defensive. i am explaining that I am not a new guy who hasn't even soloed yet. I have been flying RC since 1978 and control line since 1969 and building models since I was 9 years old. I am 58 now so have been around modeling for 49 years.

I appreciate everyones answers. Thats why I asked. I was just looking for opinions on the radio. Rodney seems to have experience with that brand of radio and is happy with the way his Tactic radio performs. Thats the answer I was looking for.

And remember that replies on the internet don't always come across as intented. Thats why the little smiley thingys are sometimes a good idea just so no one is taken wrong.

If I were to get a better grade of radio I would most likely go with a Futaba or HiTec. I have had many years of excellent service from both of these brands.

Last edited by ratshooter; 05-11-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I kinda liked the radio, reminded me of some of the old 4 channel radios I had. The price is right too. It's just nothing that I would ever buy because I have some better radios on hand. I just got a never been used Spektrum DX 6i that I plan on using in a boat I plan on building in the next year. It's a short range radio so I have no use for it in any plane except my one little electric. That plane is set up in my good radio though.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:03 PM
ratshooter

GB that was part of the appeal of the radio. Simple like the old 4 channel radios I use to have. A simple radio for a simple plane. I don't have anything against computer radios, I just installed one about an hour ago in my latest build. It was simple to adjust. I didn't even need the manual to set it up. I was kind of wondering about the range on that radio. I didn't know if it was more of a park flyer type or what. I guess I will pass on it and wait till I see a deal on something else. I really don't need a forth radio but needing something and wanting it are two different things.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:54 PM
jester_s1

FWIW, you did come across a bit rude in your reply ratshooter. I understand now you didn't mean to, but you did. It would have been helpful to know that you had a lot of RC experience and just wanting to step down to a simple radio for nostalgia reasons of just personal preference. You would have gotten a different set of responses if we would have understood that.
FWIW, Tactic seems to make good radios generally. They've been on the market for several years now, and there is very little discussion on RCU about problems with them. When you allow for the cost of batteries, they aren't any cheaper than the competition though, so I wouldn't pick Tactic based on price.
Old 05-10-2015, 05:11 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd look around for a good used Spectrum DX 6i !
Old 05-10-2015, 07:27 PM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like my Tactic a lot (except don't fly with the RX that has only one antenna). It is easy to program and you don't really have to program it except for servo direction. It is WAY more reliable than my DX6i.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:15 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ratshooter
GB that was part of the appeal of the radio. Simple like the old 4 channel radios I use to have. A simple radio for a simple plane. I don't have anything against computer radios, I just installed one about an hour ago in my latest build. It was simple to adjust. I didn't even need the manual to set it up. I was kind of wondering about the range on that radio. I didn't know if it was more of a park flyer type or what. I guess I will pass on it and wait till I see a deal on something else. I really don't need a forth radio but needing something and wanting it are two different things.

I am wondering. If you already have a TX, why do you need a new one? If your computer TX's have more than one model capability, could you not just out fit your new plane with a RX and servos? Most new radios do not come with servos anyway, like the old days.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:05 AM
ululi1970

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ratshooter, let me see if I get it right. You have two computer radio, I presume FM, and would like to get into 2.4GHz? If so, do your computer radios have modules? You know, the one in the back that we switched to change frequency? If so,
you can get into 2.4GHz by buying a 2.4GHz module for your radio. You keep your radios, and enjoy the benefit of 2.4GHz.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:57 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

good basic radio to get you started and a lil room to grow. might want a futaba 7c 2.4ghz radio best bang for the buck great features do your research on it
Old 05-11-2015, 06:43 AM
jtsmash

Originally Posted by ratshooter
I am looking for a first 2.4 radio and the more I look at this model the better I like it. Plus the price is right. I like the fact that it is NOT a computer radio and should be simple to set up. I have a Bridi Aircruiser 25 I would like to put it in. The only thing I am not sure of is if it has end point adjustments on the servo travel. That's a feature I really like. Especially on the throttle. It takes alkaline batteries if you don't want to use NiCads or other rechargable batteries. My son works at the hospital and brings me all the double a batteries I want. They use them once and install new batteries in the testers they use them in.

So tell what you think.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEKXY&P=0
Been running Tactic for the last 3 years, Have a ttx650 and a plane jane ttx600 - Both work excellent, never had a problem, receivers are a good price as well.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:04 AM
ratshooter

Originally Posted by jester_s1
FWIW, you did come across a bit rude in your reply ratshooter. I understand now you didn't mean to, but you did. It would have been helpful to know that you had a lot of RC experience and just wanting to step down to a simple radio for nostalgia reasons of just personal preference. You would have gotten a different set of responses if we would have understood that.
FWIW, Tactic seems to make good radios generally. They've been on the market for several years now, and there is very little discussion on RCU about problems with them. When you allow for the cost of batteries, they aren't any cheaper than the competition though, so I wouldn't pick Tactic based on price.
Hello Jester. You and I have exchanged post several times and I thought you would have remembered me. I have told you before that I fly at thunderbird same as you and even posted a picture of my new LT-25 so if you saw it at the field you might come up and introduce yourself. I will look for the yellow kayak you said you use for the float fly rescues. Anyway I never meant to be rude or short. And yes I have been around RC a long time. This is my third time to reenter this hobby.

Last edited by ratshooter; 05-11-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 AM
ratshooter

Now to everyone else. I do have two computer radios and a Hitec analog radio all on 72mhz. I did look at the converter to make my radios 2.4. One poster ask why get a new radio if I already have a radio. Good question. Simple answer i like getting new stuff. Its all part of the fun. My two computer radios have a 3 model memory on the Hitec Prism and a 10 model memory on the JR 8103.

I just installed the JR in my new build last night and copied the set up to a second plane and I suppose now instead of a new radio I will just use the 8103 and install it in the Aircruiser plane. I already have a second receiver and 5 servos. I will just have to get a battery pack and a switch and I am good to go.

Thanks for the info on the tactic radio. Sounds like those who have them like them. The appeal was that it was a simple radio. I like simple and easy. I just fly basic 4 channel planes. I could fly Stik type models forever and be perfectly happy.

I never meant to sound rude. Sorry if it came across that way. I am actually a very lovable guy.

Last edited by ratshooter; 05-11-2015 at 11:21 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:13 PM
vertical grimmace

Getting new stuff is part of the fun. And there is no need to have more than you need, that is for sure. Sounds like you are having fun with the hobby, and that is all that matters.

I just bought a new radio as well. It is kind of the opposite extreme. It will do just about anything!

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-dupl...nly-radio.aspx
Old 05-11-2015, 02:24 PM
ratshooter

VG thats a heck of a radio. I am not sure I have enough life left in me to figure out how to program that radio. And 22 channels. Where do you use that many channels? But that ought to last for many years before its outdated.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:22 PM
vertical grimmace

Well, it is actually only 14 channels, but it will talk to you, and tell you everything you want to know about what your airplane is doing. The telemetry can be linked to functions so the GPS can tell you you are over the runway, the speedometer can raise and lower your flaps and gear at the right time, the temp sensor can open and close your cowl flaps to keep the engine just right, the Bar meter can sense lowering PSI and drop your retracts before you lose all of your air pressure, your electric planes will know exactly how long they can fly as it will tell you the current state of the batteries. Pretty amazing stuff. This radio is a game changer, and currently, there is nothing offered like this from the major manufacturers. Oh one more thing, it has an electronic RX switch! That is right, no more RX switch on the side of your plane. You toggle a couple of switches on the TX and it turns the plane on! It speaks to you and tells you which plane you have selected so you do not try to fly the wrong one. I think it does the dishes and mows the lawn as well! lol
Old 05-11-2015, 06:27 PM
jester_s1

I do remember our conversation from before, Ratshooter. I remember conversations a lot longer than I remember names or even faces, so I'll have to ask you to forgive my poor memory.

If the conversation is now about which 2.4ghz radio to buy, have a look at Graupner. One of the Tbird pilots switched over to them and is very impressed with what he got for his money. They have a 6 channel radio that is computerized, far more capable than the radios you are used to be not any more difficult to program. It does have telemetry also. One of the really cool features about the brand is that their ESCs will feed the Graupner receivers their telemetry data, so there is no extra sensors to buy. I've been a dedicated Airtronics user for about 7 years now and quite the fan of their products, but if I was starting from scratch today Graupner is what I'd buy.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:48 PM
ratshooter

Hey Jester no forgiveness needed. I was curious about that one particular radio. And while the Graupner radio sounds good, frankly you went right over my head with some of the features it has. Like I posted earlier I just fly basic 4 channel planes. A radio with duel rates and end point adjustments is about all I ask for. That was the appeal of the Tactic radio I was asking about but I think it doesn't have the end point adjustments. I really don't have any problems setting up my computer radios. I admit when I got the first one I was confused but just reading the manual got me straightened out. Once I got the gist of how it worked it was pretty simple.

The old JR radio computer radio I am using has more features than I know what to do with. I am a dinosaur and I freely admit it. I sure don't want to go back to the old AM Kraft KP4A i started with that I bought from Johnny Cashburn back in 1978. That was too basic even for me.

I was trying to see if you were at the field a few weeks ago. Several know who you are but you weren't there that day. I will eventually run across you and maybe you can give me some insights into your new radio.

If weather and work permit I will be at Thunderbird field saturday to test fly my new build. Its a Bridi Krafty 60. I will try to post a picture of it tomorrow if I get the chance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.