Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

NiMH Charger

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

NiMH Charger

Old 05-20-2015, 04:20 PM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NiMH Charger

I ordered what I thought was a NiCad pack from Tower but when it came in I saw I had ordered a NiMH pack. This is for the airborne receiver. I like its small size. I don't know if I can use a regular NiCad charger for it or not. I suspect I can't. I may have to send it back unless someone can recommend an inexpensive charger for the pack. I have already ordered a proper NiCad pack. So what can you recommend for a charger?
Old 05-20-2015, 06:43 PM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your wall wart charger will work, however it may take a considerable amount of time depending on the capacity of your pack to fully charge your pack. You should also cycle the pack at least five times before flying with it. As noted above your wall wart will work, and you can discharge the pack using a 12v. bulb to discharge at about 250 mah., though I can't recall the bulb number I used before I obtained an Accucyle which charges and discharges my receiver packs
Old 05-21-2015, 11:06 AM
ratshooter

Thanks bhady. I called Tower and the lady on the phone said the wall wart wouldn't work. I have a tail light bulb and some extra leads and can make a discharge set up. The pack is a 4.8volt 750ma and I am guessing I should charge it for 15 hours at 50ma. I have a hobbico charger that will select from 10ma thru 500ma. Would that be a better choice? It doesn't cycle batteries, just charges them.

Thanks for your help. I don't know much about electronic stuff.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:04 PM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For information, go to Red's Battery Clinic (No BS Batteries) website. There's a lot of information there on the care and feeding of battery packs.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:07 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Ratshooter!!

+1 on what BHady said!

The lady at tower might have been trying to sell you a new charger, as the Nicad Wal wart charger would work with your NiMh cells, Heck, I have done it for years! But if you have a Hobbico charger, I would use that one, setting at a C/10 rate, I.E. 75 mAh and charge a minimum of 10 hours, wouldn't hurt to go 12 hours or so. if you do decide to charge at a 50 mAh rate, I would charge minimum 15 hours, preferably 17 hours or so! going a little longer, time wise, with a slow charge, such as what your are talking about, won't hurt your batteries but would ensure a full charge!

Craig.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:06 AM
ratshooter

bhady thanks for the battery site. I have been reading there. And SeaJay I put the pack on the Hobbico charger for a few hours at 50ma and then switched to 25ma for a while. I appreciate the help. Like I stated I have never learned much about electronic stuff so am sorta lost on it.

I like how small this pack is. I am using it in a 25 size plane (Bridi Aircruiser 25) and so saving a little weight is a plus.