Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

beginner plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

beginner plane?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 06:39 AM
krokodyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default beginner plane?

Hello i have decided to get into rc planes. I was considering helis but decided against it. So i on a 100 dollar budget and am looking for a good plane that cand do rolls and barrels. I have a simulater so i can train on that i just dont have the remote. I have been looking into the hobby zone cub and the f4u corsair on amazon. i have never flown a rc p!ane. I would like to keep it large atleast 20 inch wingspan. What do you guys suggest?
Old 06-20-2015, 07:02 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

For a hundred dollar budget I'd look for a used trainer. Either glow or electric. Where are you located?
Old 06-20-2015, 09:15 AM
harlanb
My Feedback: (1)

Krokodyl
Welcome to the hobby.

Before you spend any money, I would recommend checking out any local clubs near you.
Here is a link where you can find clubs that are close to you: http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx .
It there is a club within reasonable distance, i would call the club and see if you can check it out.
Many clubs will take you out and buddy box on a club trainer for a couple times without having to join the club.
That way you can find out if it is for you or not.
If it is something you like, I would join the club. Although it will be a hit on the $100.00, you will get priceless information and help.
They will also be able to help you find a good plane cheaply.
If they have a club trainer plane, you can learn how to fly and find out what kind of planes you want to use (glow, gas, or electric) before you waste money on something that does not work for you.

Although a warplane looks fun, it is a recipe for disaster for a first plane.
Get some information and recommendations from your local club. It will make getting into the hobby much easier and cheaper.
If your not into clubs, I still recommend joining. You can always drop out once you have learned what you need to learn.
You can go out and find a little ARF trainer plane and learn how to fly yourself, but it is a long and expensive process. If you try to learn yourself, you are almost guaranteed, to crash and destroy a plane or two.

I hope you have success and enjoy the hobby.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:29 PM
krokodyl

OK thanks ill do taht. As a matter of fact i am junior so i would only have to pay 20 dollars fo the membership! Thanks for the input.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:27 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm a big fan of setting realistic expectations with people for the hobby. So because of that, I can tell you that a 20 inch plane is mostly an indoor flying model. Anything but a calm day is going to toss it around like crazy and take all the fun out of flying for you. To get into planes that can handle a decent amount of wind your budget will need to expand significantly. The advice to get into a flying club is spot on, definitely do that if you can. In a club, you will get instruction on how to fly properly and you will meet other RC pilots who can answer your questions and show you how to set up your planes right. That kind of help goes a long way in being successful instead of frustrated. On the money side of things, have you talked to your dad about doing this hobby with you? Maybe you can mow some grass or trim hedges to make a few dollars?
Old 06-21-2015, 07:09 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Spend a little more and buy the Hobby Zone Sport Cub S. It is a great plane to learn on and it's one you won't get bored with as your skills improve as it's a 4-channel plane. It has the Safe mode to assist you while learning plus it has the AS3X gyro system to help keep it stable in flight. Once you improve you can turn off Safe and fly more aggressively while still having the stability of the AS3X. I have one and fly it on advanced mode on windy days and it is a fun plane. A float set is available for it to fly from water or snow too.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/sport-cu...nology-hbz4400

I should point out that a beginner has no business doing loops and rolls while learning early on.....that will come in time. The Safe system prevents you from looping and rolling....so you don't crash ! When you improve you can go off of Safe and practice loops and rolls and if you get into trouble simply put the transmitter switch back into Safe and the plane will correct itself ,provided you have enough altitude.

Last edited by flyinwalenda; 06-21-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:56 PM
krokodyl

Ok well ill definately consider the sports cub. Yes ill try to make some more money to get that. I do have enough but im sure ill need money for some replacement parts.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:13 AM
krokodyl

Also if i do join the club would they by any chance have any used planes that were once used by the pilots there? Possibly i could go that way but used on ebay is uncommon now and the shipping cost is unpredictible huge):
Old 06-30-2015, 03:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most clubs have an instructor and a club trainer with the buddy box to teach new people. Only thing they may ask is for you to buy your own fuel if it's a glow powered plane, that's what we did at my club.We didn't even ask the new person to join the club until they soloed.
Stay away from the net when buying stuff, new or used. It takes some time to know if it's something good or not and most new people get had when first entering the hobby. Most club members have items for sale and other members can tell you if it's any good, usually listen to the instructor.
Today a lot of people are using electric planes for trainers so you may not even need to buy fuel.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:33 PM
Gray Beard

Most clubs have an instructor and a club trainer with the buddy box to teach new people. Only thing they may ask is for you to buy your own fuel if it's a glow powered plane, that's what we did at my club.We didn't even ask the new person to join the club until they soloed.
Stay away from the net when buying stuff, new or used. It takes some time to know if it's something good or not and most new people get had when first entering the hobby. Most club members have items for sale and other members can tell you if it's any good, usually listen to the instructor.
Today a lot of people are using electric planes for trainers so you may not even need to buy fuel.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:15 PM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by krokodyl
Also if i do join the club would they by any chance have any used planes that were once used by the pilots there? Possibly i could go that way but used on ebay is uncommon now and the shipping cost is unpredictible huge):
If you're located by Chicago I can sell you one of my ready to fly glow trainers and recommend a club to join.. Cheap way to get into the hobby.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:56 PM
jester_s1

Sometimes asking around at the club will get you a lead on good used stuff. Trainers usually get beat up though, so you'll come closer finding good second planes that way. What I find is more common is the trainer for sale on craigslist that has 10 years of garage dust on it from a guy who started learning and quit. You can figure on replacing the batteries and often the radio isn't worth anything, but engines and airframes and most flightline accessories survive storage quite well.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:57 PM
Gray Beard

Trainers are all over the place for cheap but first get with the instructor so he/they can lead you into the right direction for a used plane. Some are much better then others and you could get stuck with total junk if you don't know what your looking at.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:46 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Believe it our not it takes more than $100 dollars to get into the hobby. Initial investment will start at $500 or more. This applies to; gas, glow or electrics. Save your money and during the interim spend so time at the local flying field.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:37 AM
krokodyl

well i well guess ill try to look int a small job and get some money. In the meantime ill fly one of there trainors or get a small really cheap park flier to get used to the controls.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:47 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

go to your local field see whats for sale in a trainer most of the time you can get the whole works for around 150 .. and let them help you learn to fly>>also ask to see the plane fly first
Old 07-01-2015, 06:13 AM
jester_s1

If your funds are limited, buying a cheap, junky plane just sets you back further. Train at the club and don't buy anything until you can afford what you really need. Pushing a lawn mower can get you there fast. Where I live, a typical yard will get you $30-40. It's easy enough to do 3 in a day, so you can have everything you need in under a month just by working 2 days a week.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:41 AM
AllModesR/C

Or just ask your parents for some money.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:47 AM
AllModesR/C

Originally Posted by flycatch
Believe it our not it takes more than $100 dollars to get into the hobby. Initial investment will start at $500 or more. This applies to; gas, glow or electrics. Save your money and during the interim spend so time at the local flying field.
I got into it for just under $300 but that's because a member here was kind enough to give me a field box for free. I bought an older trainer than was never flown or even had the engine started. I paid just a hundred bucks for it but after buying new TX and RX batteries, fuel, and smalls bits and pieces here and there I had about three hundred into it when I took my first flight. That's not counting AMA membership.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:02 PM
krokodyl

ok well im going on vacation soon but after that i will surely get a small job and go from there!
Old 07-01-2015, 02:19 PM
KC Air

For $300 you can get a ready to fly Apprentice 15S with the Safe System. 10 minutes of assembly, an hour to charge the battery, and you are ready to fly.

I strongly recommend getting a simulator package before you buy a plane. You can get all your crashing out of the way on the sim, and enjoy your plane's maiden flight with confidence. Real Flight 7.5 is about $175. A great investment in the hobby, believe me. It will more than pay for itself in saved wreckage if you take the time to use it.
Old 07-01-2015, 02:22 PM
KC Air

Start with an electric trainer, seriously. Way less to buy up front, especially when you buy a "ready to fly" package. Do not confuse with Almost Ready To Fly... you need a ton of other stuff to complete one of those.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:58 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Like others suggested, a nearby club will get you started and keeps you interested.
Anytime people just go and buy something, they crash and leave the hobby or simple get bored flying by themselves (there are few exceptions).
You can likely find a used trainer in your club, go to a local rc swap meet or craigslist.

If you get a new plane, $100 buys you a small flimsy toy. You may be able to get a good used trainer for that money. I sold my (like new) 40 size Hobbico Superstar complete with engine and remote for $120 last year. I am sure you can find something like this if you look around.

You just need to decide if you want glow or electric.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:08 PM
jester_s1

And you'll be amazed how much difference it makes when you show up consistently to training and take it seriously. Older hobbyists frequently have good old airplanes around, but they don't want to just throw them away on a kid who will accept them and then either disappear or destroy them because he won't listen. Starting in this hobby is mostly about getting to know the people and gaining the skills. The equipment is required too, but that's easy enough when you've shown initiative and have a few connections.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 PM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what you want, best first plane.
http://slowbipe.com/products.asp
Get some parts from HK - hextronic 24 gram 1700kv motor, OrangeRX R615x receiver, a few 9g servos, 3s 800mAh batteries, charger, props, 5min epoxy, and you're in. a couple of hours getting the plane together and you're off to the park (away from people). That'll be about $130, minimum to get into the game.
If you don't have a transmitter, get a Spektrum Dx6i. Still the best quality/usefulness for your money, and you can go a long way into the hobby/sport/obsession with that.
That's how I started a year and half ago and it worked great. I had flown sailplanes a little some time ago, so I had a basic skill set to start with.
Get the simulator, it's a better place to figure things out.
All the best...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.