Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

beginner plane?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

beginner plane?

Old 07-02-2015, 06:16 AM
krokodyl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i think ill start aith the simulator and go from there. So i still need a simulater and a remote. Do you have any good remotes that could also be used with a plane later? Also are there any android simulators out there?
Old 07-02-2015, 06:22 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Default just a plane

go to a club meeting somewhere see what you can learn i did it all 55 yrs ago buy myself so much help at a club now so wake up go join a club
Old 07-02-2015, 07:27 AM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RealFlight 7.5 with the interlink cable to a transmitter. $129
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...58902415214316

I have the ubiquitous Spektrum Dx6i, which is still around $129. Gets you pretty far, you'll see plenty of them at the field, their has been a later version released but more $$. One of the quickest obstacles is that only holds 10 planes but I deal with that, no problems.

If you can deal with the wait international shipping, and risk the other occasional shipping vagaries of HobbyKing, they have the OrangeRx Transmitter for 64.99 plus shipping.
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...%20transmitter

Expect to hear a great amount of details / options from everybody recommending. If you want to get going quick & cheap is one thing; if you want to think about where you may end up in a year or two and buy for that, is another.

My 2c,
All the best,
Peter
Old 07-02-2015, 01:40 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

One thing to think about, when using a simulator, is that IF you don't know what you need to work on, it's wasting time and money. Buy your simulator and leave it in the box for now. Spend a day or two at the field with an instructor and (if available) the club's trainer. The instructor will be able to tell you what to work on using the simulator after the session(s) and make your simulator time more effective in helping you learn to fly rather than just flying around and crashing on the screen
Old 07-02-2015, 01:54 PM
BrightGarden

Just a little anecdote - coming into the hobby. I built a couple of free flight 049 planes when I was about 10 or 11, I would guess.
Looking back now, here is one experience that propelled me deeper into my love of the hobby.
I was learning just about everything on my own, and with one of my newly built planes in hand in my back yard, the whole concept of CG suddenly became alive and real to me.
It was like a metaphysical moment when it all made sense, in a rush, at once. I started making adjustments with the little 30" WS plane and started test gliding it - before starting the engine!
That was a breakthrough, itself - ha.

It started out a little tail heavy with the first short, low pitches of the plane. Kind of swoopy, swooping up, then soft stalling, recovering. Really only one and a half cycle before landing safely.
A little push of the weight forward, and it started working out. Even a little more, and suddenly I OWNED THAT INFORMATION.
That little plane obeyed me- ha! It glided out for about 40 feet and settled smoothly to the ground.
I remember that and but not much more of what happened after that trimming.
In my normal impatience I probably wound up the engine and launched it right into a tree.

This one of a series of breakthroughs you can enjoy - when something converts from deep thought to practice.

I remember my dad being surprised I owned that information from then on.
He was surprised I figured that out on my own, through reading, etc.
He was supportive but never got too much involved. Certainly bought me stuff and showed me how to cover airplanes with silkspan.
He was a great craftsman in his own right, and I think some of that rubbed off.

Look forward to some great moments along your way to progress.

We all have our capabilities envelope we are trying to get beyond.

Cheers - Poughkeepsie Pete

Last edited by BrightGarden; 07-02-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:30 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Real Flight is a very good simulator. I learned a lot form this. After flying several hours on the sim I had maybe an hour on the buddy box before I soloed.
Also I learned to fly helicopters with this. And I never really crashed one. Just scuffed some blades once in a while.

The money on the simulator is well spend - one crash costs more then that.

Most important - don't let anything or anybody discourage you. If you want to fly rc planes, go for it.
It's a lot of fun, you meet great people and learn a lot if you join a club.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:04 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

On a budget, there's nothing wrong with older versions of the simulator. I have RealFlight 5 and it's perfectly adequate. So I sometimes see 5 year old versions of SIM software for $30-40, and the only downside is the graphics aren't as nice.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:05 PM
BrightGarden

One of the most valuable uses of the sim at first is getting used to flying toward yourself, as well as away. Gives you muscle memory for when you have your first flights.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:24 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
On a budget, there's nothing wrong with older versions of the simulator. I have RealFlight 5 and it's perfectly adequate. So I sometimes see 5 year old versions of SIM software for $30-40, and the only downside is the graphics aren't as nice.
I have the G-2 and loan it to any new student I have, my basic instructor had G-ZERO he loaned me. I had boxed with him a couple times then he loaned me the sim but he also gave me tasks to perform and the plane he wanted me to do it with. Then he would buddy box me and go over the things I learned.
I did the same thing for my students.
The programs and graphics have improved but there is nothing wrong with the old sims, with an instructor even G-ZERO would still work.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:20 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Jester just barely touched on an important point in an earlier post. We older guys usually have tons of stuff stashed away that we will never use again. It's good stuff, just that we have advanced beyond it. We can't sell it because we can't get anything for it and/or shipping it is prohibitive. Se we keep it. We would love to give it away if we knew someone who would use it. What I am getting at here is: insert yourself into a club or flying group. Show up often. Be respectful to us old farts and don't act like you know more than we do. You might very well know more than we do, but we don't like to be constantly reminded of it. The guys at the field will at first just be courteous to you. When they quit being courteous to you and start insulting you right along with the other guys there, you are in. And you will be amazed at the stuff that will come your way. All you have to do is prove to them that you are in the addiction for the long haul. We hate to give good stuff away just to see some youngster show up a couple times, then disappear along with the stuff we donated. If they are going to be in it for the duration, we find all kinds of stuff to give away.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:37 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did that once and the fellow I gave it too sold it.
Originally Posted by JollyPopper
Jester just barely touched on an important point in an earlier post. We older guys usually have tons of stuff stashed away that we will never use again. It's good stuff, just that we have advanced beyond it. We can't sell it because we can't get anything for it and/or shipping it is prohibitive. Se we keep it. We would love to give it away if we knew someone who would use it. What I am getting at here is: insert yourself into a club or flying group. Show up often. Be respectful to us old farts and don't act like you know more than we do. You might very well know more than we do, but we don't like to be constantly reminded of it. The guys at the field will at first just be courteous to you. When they quit being courteous to you and start insulting you right along with the other guys there, you are in. And you will be amazed at the stuff that will come your way. All you have to do is prove to them that you are in the addiction for the long haul. We hate to give good stuff away just to see some youngster show up a couple times, then disappear along with the stuff we donated. If they are going to be in it for the duration, we find all kinds of stuff to give away.
Old 07-05-2015, 12:30 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I fellow club member just had the same luck - sold a Raptor 30 rx ready for $50 to some kid (I used to own this, just the blades were worth more).
Kid showed up with the dad, seemed to be really interested in rc flying, but didn't have much money so he felt sorry and gave him a good deal...

2 weeks later the helicopter and some other rc items show up on Craigslist, asking for more then the 'new' price.

These people ruin it for others. I always sell used stuff for little money to people I know
Old 07-08-2015, 08:21 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

My experience underscores the value of getting to know the club members and showing yourself to be committed to the hobby. I was 31 when I started RC. I showed up with a SPAD trainer and a second hand radio bought in the RCU classifieds. The instructors liked that I had invested money already, but were critical of my "gutter pipe airplane." The used radio cost me my plane on its 4th flight because the previous owner had changed the channel without retuning or relabeling the radio (72mhz). I was discouraged, but asked if I could keep learning on the club trainers and told them I was sending in my transmitter to be repaired. I kept coming to training nights and waiting my turn and accepting whatever help, as much or as little (sometimes none) as I got. Two weeks later one of the instructors gave me an engine, servos, and a good receiver. Another club member pulled an old trainer out of the attic, and another fellow student invited me over to his shop to teach me how to recover it. Those guys invested in me because I showed them I would be a dedicated club member and was taking the hobby seriously. Their gifts weren't particularly valuable, but they saved me hundreds of dollars. Over the years, I've watched other RC pilots receive good used airplanes after they had shown they were serious about the hobby but had limited funds. A 15 year old and his dad joined our club last year. The kid was mature and respectful, patient, and very willing to learn. And he learned fast. He received two good airplanes RTF after winning second in his first SPA contest flying his trainer. I think he's gotten one or two others since then. He and his dad do the hobby together, but they were very clear up front that their budget was limited. He's doing great in the hobby so far, and most of us are glad to help him.

Contrast that with a guy I might have helped a few years ago. Young guy was at training night with his dad, and now I was the instructor. I was teaching because so many had invested in me that I wanted to give back to the club in some way. The guy was probably around 20, and a complete moron. He had no discipline and wouldn't listen, big smile on his face all the time said he was all about instant fun, and his dad was sitting in a chair looking quite disappointed next to the two brand new broken airplanes on the ground next to him. I started up a conversation with the moron kid just after he made a terrible takeoff with a Cessna. I started explaining how to do a proper takeoff to avoid the sideslip stall he had done, when he blurted out "What's a sideslip?" and firewalled the throttle. His Cessna spun into the ground seconds later after he made the same mistake again that I was explaining to him how not to make. He took the pieces over to his dad to add to the pile, and said, "Did you see that Dad? I crashed another one!" I had two good sport planes in my garage, not particularly valuable but definitely usable just waiting for a newbie who needed them. But this kid wasn't worth investing in, so he got nothing from me or anybody else.

So the point being that there is lots of help to be had from RC hobbyists for young pilots who are serious about the hobby and have the maturity put the time in to learn it. Don't show up expecting anything, don't act like anyone owes you anything, and don't be selfish. Do let it be known that your budget is limited and that you are doing extra work to get planes and equipment. Do ask around if there are planes for sale or possibly for barter for grass mowing or odd jobs. Graciously accept advice and instruction from anybody willing to offer it, and be patient. If you do, this time next year you'll probably be well started in the hobby and having a great time with it.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:55 AM
krokodyl

ok thanks for all the input guys. Certanilly i will respect everyone and will take the hooby seriously!