Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Gluing foam

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Gluing foam

Old 07-06-2015, 10:24 AM
richard dee
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gluing foam

What is the best glue for gluing foam to balsa. I have had tons of fun with hot wire foam cutting. Gluing on the other hand not so much.I just need to know what works the best and fastest way to get it done.Great website thank you and blue skies
Old 07-06-2015, 04:56 PM
abacro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in all my 50 years of modeling, the fastest glue I have found is 3M's 77 spray adhesive. You spray each piece { balsa and foam} let them air out for about 10 minutes, then stick them together. Make darned sure you have them exactly where you want them, because once they make contact, they are not coming back apart! A lot of peop;e on here use Gorilla glue, I guess it works good ( I" ve never used it ) but sheeting my wings and waiting 24 hours for it to dry is not my idea of building! With the 3M i'm sanding and cutting out the control surfaces with in a half hours time.

Just my idea of building!

Good Luck Art
Old 07-07-2015, 03:29 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You are asking for the best and fastest, the best to me is the strongest and lightest bond that will never let go in any conditions. With that said, 3M 77 spray adhesive is a temporary contact spray adhesive; it even states that on the can. I use it for mounting sandpaper to sanding boards and thing like that, when I wish to remove the sandpaper I just warm it up with a heat gun or hair dryer and peel it right off. Something to keep in mind is the best doesn't always mean the fastest when it comes to building something. Anyway IMO the best and lightest bond is an epoxy bond and the use of vacuum, second best is a gorilla glue bond and the use of vacuum, and the last and still good is a 3M 30-NF contact adhesive bond, It will not let go with heat like 3M 77, you can roll it on, brush it on or spray it on, allow to flash and your ready to stick things together...

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 07-07-2015 at 03:36 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:14 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richard dee
What is the best glue for gluing foam to balsa. I have had tons of fun with hot wire foam cutting. Gluing on the other hand not so much.I just need to know what works the best and fastest way to get it done.Great website thank you and blue skies

I am a recent convert..almost totally, to this stuff. I LOVE IT! Can get some straggler wispy stuff off of the tip sometimes, but I just love using this stuff now. I still use CA or epoxy, but nothing beats this stuff overall for me. Did I mention I love it?

Not cheap...but then again, neither is CA. Also, another nice thing, it sets pretty quick but it still flexible, and if I want to change something I can pull it apart easier than CA.

I haven't used the other stuff noted, but will try them too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.php.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	2107969