Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

how to control nerves when flying

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

how to control nerves when flying

Old 07-09-2015, 04:27 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to address this a few years back on RCU but no interest.
From coaching hockey for 10 years and being at the director level , the best way besides all the great info is diet .
So as an example if your a morning flyer , you need to know how caffeen impacts your nerves.
Some guys are great when the caffine is kicking in , and then are super bad when its on the decline and the shaking can be worse.
The same thing happens with athlletes that take pre workout or pre game stims like red bull , ice tea , caffeine etc.
For me personally I fly best around 6 pm or better as the sun and the day is calming down but if i have some late afternoon caffeen its a killer on nerves and this is from a guy who is an experienced athlete /trainer .
Also suger /carbs ect , anything that creates uneven blood suger levels, really take heed on what you eat and how it impacts your nerves.
You can also take some great natural suppliments from a recommended MD , you need to find what we now call an "Integrative MD, they specilaize in being and MD and being a wholistic MD , the combination is important and well worth the visit .
For some this may all sound silly but if you really want to enjoy RC getting your food right pre flight is just like getting the CG correct.
Just take note of so many videos of guys flying , you can hear the anaxiety in the breathing in the video !!
Old 07-09-2015, 05:06 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now that is something I never would have considered, but it makes sense. The caffeine content of some of the beverages now is insanely high. It doesn't affect me at this point, I can have a cup of coffee and go right to sleep, but I think you have something there with the blood sugar. We've had more than one member have to pass off the transmitter to someone when they were feeling dizzy/weak. I agree on the later hour flight time, sun on it's way down, winds typically die down, and the field starts thinning out.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:45 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Wind and lots of it is the answer to calming the nerves, the more you fly in it, the more calming and fun it is.

Bob
Old 07-10-2015, 03:23 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Take Deep Breaths.......
Yep, and to force yourself to breath properly chew gum.

A tip given to me by Peter Goldsmith.

This can work to you disadvantage however, Peter passed this tip on to Jack Diaz who
went on to beat Peter into second place at Top Gun!

John.