Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine for Phoenix Boomerang 60 MK2 Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine for Phoenix Boomerang 60 MK2 Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 02:16 PM
MGJ01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for Phoenix Boomerang 60 MK2 Trainer

Hi guys,

Just wanted to get your feedback on a couple of engines for my Phoenix Boomerang 60 MK2 trainer. I have been looking at the OS 55AX and Evolution 60NX.

I understand the manual asks for a .60 size 2 stroke or .90 four stroke and was wondering if the OS 55AX would be enough to power this plane and how it would fly? I am a beginner and have joined a local club and want a slow flying plane to build my confidence. I have a foam trainer which I fly at the moment and like the gentle characteristics of it.

Has anyone had any experience with these engines in this plane? Will they fit straight into the engine mount supplied with the plane?

Appreciate your feedback

Thanks
Old 09-23-2015, 03:19 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi MG welcome to the forum. I have and currently use quite a few examples of the 55AX and use them in an eclectic variety of airplanes including one I am just finishing up as we speak. Its one of my favorites.

I have no direct connection with your Boomerang Sixty trainer since they are not marketed as such in my country. However I believe it to be a fairly typical and generic sixty traner so of your choices I beleve the 55AX would be my go to engine for that airplane and it certainly not going to give up any power to the evolution.

John
Old 09-23-2015, 07:07 PM
MGJ01

Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback. The Boomerang is just your standard 60 size trainer with a wingspan of 1900mm from memory.

I have also had others say go with a bigger engine OS 65AX to future proof myself, what do you think about this? Would the 65 over power the model for a beginner?
Old 09-24-2015, 06:30 AM
JohnBuckner

Good morning MG, well its morning for me anyway. I actually have a problem with the whole silly future proof concept as it applies to model airplane propulsion. Its an unworkable concept that almost never works out. First ask yourself the question can you be assured that your second, third, fourth or maybe even your fifth project is going to require a bigger engine? perhaps it wil require even a smaller engine? See where I am going with this? There is no such thing as future proofing in this hobby.

Don,t get me wrong the .65AX is an excellent engine and I do own two examples or I should say just one now. The first was lost in the Colorado River in a failed failed cross country float plane attempt. The second (pictured) powered the successful run. The engine is while a powerhouse is not needed for many airplanes and in fact this whole displacement creep scenario usually does turn any airplane into a less enjoyable aircraft all around.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	River Cross Country (11).JPG
Views:	786
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	2122070  
Old 09-24-2015, 10:07 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

John
Those tanks look like a heart bypass. What is that, vent to pickup to vent to pickup... ? Is there one more tank inside? And soylent green, they make that from people don't they?
Old 09-24-2015, 11:21 AM
JohnBuckner

No not a heart bypass those flights were made (about five years ago now) perhaps in celebration of a successful partial nephrectomy. Yes four tanks plumbed in tandem for a total of 74 ounces. And yes its made out of people at least in the old movie I suppose.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 09-24-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:49 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

There's not much worry about overpowering the model. You'll do most of your flying at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle anyway, so what difference does it make what the max power is? I have no love for Evolution engines, but the word going around is that they are a bit better than they used to be. OS can't be beat though. As for the choice of a .55 or .65, either will power your trainer just fine. The .55 is made for .40 size planes that want some extra torque to turn big props. The .65 is a larger all around engine that can rev more with appropriate .60 size plane props. So a lot of the choice will depend on what you plane to fly next and whether or not you plan to keep your trainer for a long time. Quite a few guys move on to sport and aerobatic planes and then come back to their trainers and maybe do a few mods and start enjoying them again. You'll need an engine for it if you do that, so it won't really matter which one you choose now.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:14 PM
MGJ01

Thanks Jester, if the .55 fits the engine mount supplied with my trainer i will settled on that. I will look up the mounting specs on the .55