Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help with magnum xl 46

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help with magnum xl 46

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 11:37 AM
skyflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you, I already have my engine mount built. I still need a spinner before I can try to start my engine, as my spinner broke when I wrecked. What spinner would you suggest.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:59 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
A good spinner is a Tru-Turn aluminium spinner but....a much better way, and cheaper, is to use a spinner nut

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kyosho GX.40 Spinnermutter.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	2129844   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06165.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	2129846   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07542.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	2129847  

Last edited by jaka; 11-09-2015 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:17 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

iI you are going to use a spinner then yes a spinner nut like Jaka is posting however you are not making much sense first you say you are building a test stand then in the next post no. Sure would be nice not to waste our time responding to you so which is it.

As far as spinner or spinner nut are concerned you do not need either to run in a test stand or even to fly for that matter. Just remember to reverse the cup on your starter if you are using one.

John
Old 11-09-2015, 12:24 PM
skyflier

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
iI you are going to use a spinner then yes a spinner nut like Jaka is posting however you are not making much sense first you say you are building a test stand then in the next post no. Sure would be nice not to waste our time responding to you so which is it.

As far as spinner or spinner nut are concerned you do not need either to run in a test stand or even to fly for that matter. Just remember to reverse the cup on your starter if you are using one.

John
Sorry I do have my test stand built I finished a half hour ago. But I am using a starter so I need a spinner. Would a spinner nut work with a starter or would it just come off.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:51 PM
JohnBuckner

Yes spinner nuts work fine with most starters but here we go agine, No you do not need a spinner or spinner nut when you are using a starter. Most starter 'Cups' are designed to reverse when not using a spinner. Step one: reverse the cup Step two: use two hands on the starter never a single hand Step three: carefully alighn the starter motors shaft parallel with the engines crankshaft before pulling the trigger. I have many airplanes without spinners or spinner nuts and yes I almost always use starters.

John
Old 11-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I like using a chicken stick.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:06 PM
skyflier

I am not sure what you mean John. I am using a tower hobbies tower power deluxe starter. How do I "reverse" my cup? P.S. Thank you for your patience and your help.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:09 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

I was to lazy to ever build a motor stand and always broke them in with first tank ,motor in the plane on the ground ,then the rest in the air . Suppose to keep them cooler with air going over the fins. Thats just me tho and to each their own. joe
Old 11-09-2015, 04:26 PM
Calvinman

I have never had much luck using an electric starter on a motor with just the prop nut on it, I have much better luck using a spinner nut.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:33 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by Calvinman
I have never had much luck using an electric starter on a motor with just the prop nut on it, I have much better luck using a spinner nut.
Yep me too but i have done it with just a nut on the prop .like you said its not fun thay way tho. lol You want some real; fun ,put your leather glove on and start your G62 gas motor in your warbird and have it bite you a couple times ,still to this day brings a tear to my eye ! lmao joe

Last edited by joebahl; 11-09-2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:40 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by blvdbuzzard
Do you hold your finger over the card, flip the prop by hand a few times, does the fuel come up to the carb? If not, might have a hole in the fuel line. Is the clunk line in the tank free to move around and not hitting the back of the tank? All of my Magnums have run well.

Buzz.
Open the throttle wide open first...if closed or at idle it won't prime very well.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:58 PM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by skyflier
I am not sure what you mean John. I am using a tower hobbies tower power deluxe starter. How do I "reverse" my cup? P.S. Thank you for your patience and your help.
The rubber insert in the "cup" on your starter can be removed and reversed. The small hole then fits over the prop nut. Logic would also indicate that if you use a spinner, it is the nut that holds the back plate and the prop in place. A prop nut does the same thing does it not?? It is just a different shape.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:45 PM
JohnBuckner

Actually starting an engine without a spinner/spinner nut Is quite easy if one truly bothers slow down and take the three steps I listed above. Very few people take the time to actually line up the shafts and if one actually stops just at the point before they pull the trigger and really look they would be shocked how far off they can be. That is what causes inserts to go off into orbit.

John
Old 12-19-2015, 02:19 PM
skyflier

Hey, Just wanted to let y'all know that my engine is now working. My glow plug was bad, my glow plug igniter battery was dead, and my carburetor seal was bad. But it does work now. Thank you for all your help.