Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Budget radio help

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Budget radio help

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 06:14 AM
Aladinbama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Budget radio help

Hey Again! It's been a while for me
I've been out of flying for quite some time. Since then radios have changed and of course the information and brands that go along with them. I'm about to buy a mini laser cut kit and begin building again and may stay with this or set it aside again. I currently have Hitec "stuff", but it's all the old FM type.
I'm basically looking for a decent budget 5/6 channel radio! It doesn't have to be one of the big brands.
I'm just looking to get back in on the cheap. Thanks!
Old 11-08-2015, 09:41 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heck, if you are trying to get back on the cheap, just keep your old radios . Up date the batteries and check all the rest and go fly. Then when you decide your back ~~ up date your old stuff if you want. I HATE throwing good stuff away if it's still good and the old 72's are still good ~~ and legal. Just be observant ( smart ) when using them. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 11-08-2015, 12:07 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes indeed as red head has indi9cated above you might just choose to do that. Now if you desire to go to the advantages of 2.4 such as never agine worry about frequency control, some clubs no longer even maintain frequency boards, then you still may be able to convert to 2.4 and yes its possible de-pending upon exactly which Hitec Tx's you may have. For example any of the hitec Tx's that utilized a frequency module in the back can be easily converted to 2.4. When this is done only a new module and a new 2.4 rx is required.

So what exactly are your Hitec Transmitters called???

John
Old 11-09-2015, 07:05 PM
Aladinbama

I've got a Focus 4 and 6 and there's a possibility of a Flash 5 somewhere (I think).
Something tells me that these won't be upgradable
Old 11-09-2015, 09:22 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Okay, so they are non-module, I'd still use them. If you're not sure you want to stay in the hobby, it's not worth spending the money for new stuff. Just get what you have checked out by a certified shop and, if it checks good, use it. If your servos are very old, it might pay to have the leads on them replaced as well. I have a brand new servo that doesn't work and I'm pretty sure that's the reason why
Old 11-10-2015, 04:19 AM
JohnBuckner

Yes I am afraid those as noted they cannot be upgraded but also as noted there is no reason not to use them as they are narrowband so then the only question mark now will be the batteries.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 11-10-2015 at 04:24 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:38 AM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
Yes I am afraid those as noted they cannot be upgraded but also as noted there is no reason not to use them as they are narrowband so then the only question mark now will be the batteries.

John
That is the reason I suggested getting the system checked out. I've seen battery packs go bad in a year and others that were still good after not being used for several years. Since you just don't know, it's better to get everything checked out rather than take a chance in my opinion
Old 11-10-2015, 02:33 PM
JohnBuckner

And that of course is exactly why I chose to delay that point until this very Post least I have to suffer the slings and arrows, righteous indignation and even hate PM mail that I have in the past endured. Each time I have suggested that these days that each time someone accomplishes these things that almost always the money spent exceeds the money for new, Yes New equipment that usually far exceeds the capability as well as the reliability of even slightly older stuff.

Also I am not talking no name stuff where product support is none existant or if you need more than a CD forget it. I actually am talking some major brands and ones who answer a phone call. Is this right for every old timer well perhaps not but that is not who is under discussion here.

John
Old 11-10-2015, 08:06 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm slowly changing over to 2.4, but today I wanted to fly the Avistar and it's on a 14 y/o FM Hitec Flash 5. My Hitec Flash 5 works just fine. At my field, almost all fliers are on 2.4 ghz so I find my old radio in some respect to have an advantage. My flights were without incidents. Old FM radios are fine as long as batteries and servos are up to date. In my opinion.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:32 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

An old radio that's been in use regularly since it was new and is well proven is one thing. An old radio that's been sitting a long time is quite another. I agree with John. A Hitec analog radio is worth very little. So why would you have a pilot spend money on a new battery when he could invest it in a radio that is so much more capable? i know a battery can be had for $20 or so, and I also know that if (if can be a big word sometimes) the radio is in good shape that's all he'll need. But if that old radio causes just one crash, the cost savings is lost plus some. It just doesn't make any sense to try to make old equipment work when the new stuff is so much better.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:54 PM
Hydro Junkie

My thought on a radio is if it's still a viable, get it checked out and use it until you know you are going to stay in the hobby. If you decide to stay, move up. Much more cost effective than having two viable radios sitting on the shelf collecting dust
Old 11-15-2015, 07:09 AM
jester_s1

That's where I have to disagree. Saving old stuff just because it isn't broken is often false economy. Let's say he goes that route and plays it safe by sending the radio to Radio South or back to Hitec to get it checked out. That'll probably cost about $40. So add that to the $30 he'll spend for a good battery, and he not has $70 invested in a radio that still isn't worth more than about $10 in the open market. He also still won't have any of the functions that are pretty much standard on today's radios like interference rejection, exponential, mixes, dual rates, end point adjustments, and others. On the other hand, for about $200, a new pilot can have a radio with all those things that's new to boot.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:39 AM
JohnBuckner

These types of discussions always are cost related and based upon that in virtually every case I have ever noted and that's been, well a lot. Where the new flier or the long belated returnee starts out with old stuff even stuff not all that old they soon (very soon) are out there shopping for new modern units that are the latest greatest and its fact that almost all spent a net cost far, far greater than if they had bought the very newest and most capable they could afford in the first place.

Now there most certainly are exceptions to this and there always is when the subject is aviation full or miniature scale. The primary one is folks like myself and please forgive the mini bio. When it comes to RC was fortunate to have achieved remotely controlled flight in 1959 after two years of attempts with a home made unit. Of course there was controlline before that (and proud to say still is)
But back to RC so after five different RC units up to 1970 is when I purchased my lovely Orbit six channel genuine proportional Anyway I still have this one today 45 years later after its long sleep when it became illegal to fly in 1991. few year back after the advent of 2.4 and considerable cost along with the help of two local electronic wizards I was able to convert to 2.4 and was able to fly my treasured old sticks agine in a period correct airplane. What a joy that was and is, I can assure you that is pure nostalgia with not any factor at all. I also can assure what we thank as a perfect radio most certainly is not , agine pure nostalgia at any cost.

Another example is starting with the oldest and first Hitec 2.4 radios I have three Prism 7X's, Three Eclipse 7's, Three Aurora 9's transmitters. All have many airplanes on them and all are on 2.4. The oldest is a dedicated controlline Tx that I wear backward on a strap in front of my chest with sticks pointing toward the airplane, This allows me to still fly ukie in my wheelchair.

Two years ago I pursued turbine flight (and wonder why did I wait so long) and immediately found I had run out of channels so I moved to the dark side and purchased a Futaba 14sg Now with three wonderful turbine ships and one being admittedly eclectic a new Cadet senior I built out of a kit with both glow and true gas turbine power as well as RC, controlline, wheel and float capabilities many wheeled flights and four excellent flights just this weekend first time on floats The controlline maidens will have to wait till probably next summer due to maintenance and modifications of the controlline circle.

Agine my apologies and this eclectic nostalgia is fine but otherwise I can say the good old days were not great and I would never recommend to most people to do anything but firs buy new as well as the most capable units you can afford To those few who are likely just passing through before moving on to the next adventure anyway, If they are out a few bucks more, Well heck I just don,t care. Who I care about are our newfound friends and flying buddies that's who I care about.

Only just my opinion

John

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AristoCat 6 (11) (Medium).JPG
Views:	65
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	2130750  
Old 11-15-2015, 02:07 PM
Tom Nied

What?
Old 11-15-2015, 02:09 PM
jester_s1

Great story, John. At the risk of flagellating an already deceased obsolete mode of personal transport, I'll point out that even the "here today, gone tomorrow" types would likely come out ahead by buying new radio gear. If you spend the $70 or so that it'll cost the OP to get his old radio ready to go, that's just lost money. But if he buys a $200 new system he probably will be able to get $150 back out of it if he decides the hobby isn't for him. Of course, that scenario is far less likely with good radio gear as they do make flying easier and more fun.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:29 PM
JohnBuckner

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
What?

Tom if the 'what' refers to the part about the turbine powered cadet above and you are in disbelief then that's alright and you can be forgiven for the incredulity. That has been the most common response by folks for the last year and a half it has taken to figure it out. That is the response of the folks down at the London Bridge float fly when I said I was bringing one and almost to the man they thought I was joking

So if you don,t believe then check this link here at RCU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3Vb0TsRIxU The is video of earlier test flight at home on wheels in post #8 There soon will be admittedly lessor quality vidio of the some of the water flights posted I hope.

John

Oh is the next question is why that easy: Because I Can and what a wonderful challenge.

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 11-15-2015 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:38 PM
JohnBuckner

Back to the subject, indeed Jester even the passing thru types are better off with new simply because they are left with something to sell rather than something worth not much more than nothing here.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 11-15-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Tom Nied

What? What does a Kadet Senior with a turbine and glow engine have anything to do with the subject of the opening poster?

To the opening poster, Aladinbama, if the old Hitec radio works and you've tested it with a good range check and it has a new battery, use it. My Hitec Flash 5 that I've been using for 15 years, works fine. Just used it last Wednesday. If you just need a new radio, I'd suggest a Spektrum DX6i. I've got one and it works great, and it wasn't too expensive. Turbine? I'd pass on that. Succinct!
Old 11-15-2015, 05:51 PM
JohnBuckner

As I duly noted the mini bio had about as much to do with and if I am not mistaken I have read your own mini bios Hmm perhaps not but no nevermind. .

It certainly has more to do with it than those who choose post one word responses that are vindictive in nature. And obvious since on one occasion since I disagreed with you without an attempt to quote or embarrass hovever you called me out in an open quotes in an attempt to do just that.

The last I heard by their very nature Forums are made up entirely of opinions ad guess what not every one is going to agree with yours. Just how boring and useless any forum would be if every one was expected conform to everyones else's opinion

So my friend it was not me that was on the attack.

John
Old 11-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Tom Nied

Hey John, I just gotta say, I was impressed with your hand start video. Now that shows a guy who knows what he is doing. Your video shows a guy who can sense and read a model engine. That's almost magic. I love using my chicken stick and doing a hand start. Guys will ask me why I don't use a starter and I'll answer, "because I want to hand start it". You should see the befuddled looks I get. I think we're more on the same frequency more than not.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:43 PM
JohnBuckner

Fair enough

John
Old 11-18-2015, 07:47 AM
mashp39

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get yourself a Hitec Flash 7 radio. They have all the bells and whistles you will need. Also if you buy before Dec. 31 they will send you 2 Optima 7 receivers FREE. I bought a radio and for $20 dollars more got a receiver with the radio and then the 2 free. For $189.00 I got a new radio and 3 receivers.I don't believe you could do better. Good luck.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:21 PM
deanz406
My Feedback: (28)

I just wanted to say that it is fine to use ur older radio, if it is narrowbanded, and with the advent of NIMH, or Lipo batteries, u can get newer batteries rated at 2000-2500 MA for ur TX, and have trouble free operation. I still fly everything i have on 72MHZ, and am one of about 5 other flyers in our club that still use 72. We have 100 members, and about 45 active flyers, and most on 2.4. Most days at the field, I am the only one on 72MHZ. I have a preference for the Gold Futaba FG series of TX, have used them for 25yrs, and have never had a glitch on any freq I use. I upgraded to 2000 Ma NIMH batteries in all of them, and have picked up these radios for as little as $15.00, all gold stickered. At least, check, or replace ur battery(1st & cheapest option), go fly, and see if u still have the interest and enthusiasm u once had. Here's a pic of what I am using. Best of luck- Dean
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1146.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	2131275  
Old 11-26-2015, 10:58 AM
ratshooter

I am one of those still flying 72mhz. I have 3 radios I bought off ebay and one Hi-Tec 6 channel bought new 6 years ago from Tower. I have replaced the batteries in three of the radios and thats it. They all work without a hitch. And I am normally the only one on 72 at the field. So I have the whole thing to myself. I have a S.P.A.D. Stik I use as a test plane for my radios. So far never a problem.

I just bought a Futaba Tx off ebay for $65 with shipping. It has a brand new battery, came with two receivers and that included the free shipping. Its a Skysport 6A. My most favorite radio of all I have owned. It has 6 channels, two more than I need. End point adjustments and duel rates. Several mixing features I will never use and easier to set up than a computer radio to me. I have two computer radios but prefer the 6A for ease of use.

So I am all for the OP putting his old radios to work. He can always up grade. And getting a new 2.4 radio like Mash39 mentioned doesn't include the switch and receiver pack. And may not include the Tx pack. And you will still need a charger and leads. So there are more cost than it sounds like at first. Too bad they don't sell complete radio sets like they use to that had batteries, receiver, servos and charger so a beginner could just buy and go fly.
Old 11-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by ratshooter
Too bad they don't sell complete radio sets like they use to that had batteries, receiver, servos and charger so a beginner could just buy and go fly.
The manufacturers stopped selling the complete sets due to three simple facts:
1) Most of the aircraft being sold today are either ARFs or kits that are more complex than in the past. This means that many of the ARFs either already have radio gear or at least have the servos already installed. As for kits, most builders prefer certain types of servos for certain applications so they end up either buying servos after the fact or they have what they want on hand so the low cost servos supplied are a waste of money for both seller and buyer.
2) The manufacturer can sell the required battery packs and servos at a higher profit margin than what they would have gotten if sold as part of a complete set.
3) Battery tech is evolving faster than the radio manufacturers can adapt. By including a removable dry cell tray, the buyer can either use the radio as purchased or install whatever they want for power packs. For example, when I bought my Futaba 4PLS surface radio, it came with a matched receiver and dry cell tray but with the programming to use dry cells, nicad/nim AND LiFe packs. All you had to do is set the transmitter to the type of power source used so the warning features would work properly

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 11-26-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.