Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Can I put a Tower Hobbies trainer 40 wing on a Goldberg eagle 63?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Can I put a Tower Hobbies trainer 40 wing on a Goldberg eagle 63?

Old 11-14-2015, 11:21 AM
JimmyZep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I put a Tower Hobbies trainer 40 wing on a Goldberg eagle 63?

The wing on the used 63 I got has cheap junk super micro aileron
servos.

At this point it would be easier to change the wing instead of rebuilding
this one because of the way it was done.

Will the tower trainer 40 wing work, they look very similar?

Jimmy
Old 11-14-2015, 12:27 PM
Top_Gunn
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try it and see. Years ago I put a Telemaster 66 wing on a Stick 40 trainer, and it flew better than either of the planes the parts came from.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:28 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Possibly. They are both flat bottom airfoils of about the same wingspan. If you can make the wing fit, the plane will likely fly fine. Difficult to know if the cord of the 2 wings are the same, or close enough that you can make it fit the fuselage. Also, it looks like the Tower Hobbies wing is rubber banded on whereas the Eagle wing could have been a bolt on, in which case you would need to make some mods. Other than that, I would be concerned whether or not the aileron linkage at the trailing edge of the wing will fit OK into the Eagle fuselage without interference.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:33 PM
JimmyZep

Originally Posted by RBACONS
Possibly. They are both flat bottom airfoils of about the same wingspan. If you can make the wing fit, the plane will likely fly fine. Difficult to know if the cord of the 2 wings are the same, or close enough that you can make it fit the fuselage. Also, it looks like the Tower Hobbies wing is rubber banded on whereas the Eagle wing could have been a bolt on, in which case you would need to make some mods. Other than that, I would be concerned whether or not the aileron linkage at the trailing edge of the wing will fit OK into the Eagle fuselage without interference.
The original wings on both planes are rubber banded and have the single aileron servo in the
middle of the wing.

I am NEVER buying a used plane again!

When I started to try to replace the junk micro servos I discovered that the ailerons are glued
way too tight to the wing and have very limited movement.

The tower wing will be tried, I have $25 in tower credit and the wing is $40.

Jimmy
Old 11-14-2015, 05:57 PM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

When you say, "the ailerons are glued way too tight to the wing and have very limited movement", is it because of how the hinges were glued? If so, just exercise the ailerons to their most extreme travel back and forth about a hundred times. See if it loosens up any. I always do this with mine.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:41 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the wing has a single center mounted servo system and it could also be the "monkey motion " linkage that goes outward to each aileron that is binding. Sometimes additional wood needs to be removed to "relieve" the area where the linkage pivots to get full throw. In either case, I would exercise them as Tom suggests, even going to the point of forcing them to move with muscle power and if they break before they get to enough movement, SO WHAT, you're replacing the wing anyway so no loss. Kind of a do or die for this wing. Work the ailerons back and forth by hand till they either move enough or break, nothing to loose. If you can see that the linkage is binding on the wood use your hobby knife to remove material as needed. BTY, I have also said "no more used used airplanes", but then another hot deal comes along and I put my rose colored glasses on to inspect the plane, buy it and then find out it's more of a project than I realized. Welcome to the club.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:20 PM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

I put a Tower 40 wing on a section of plastic drain pipe. Added tail feathers from a trash can at our field, stuck a 46 glow on the nose and it flew fine.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:56 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can fly it with the other wing, but I have rehabilitated a lot of old planes and yours does not sound like a big deal at all. Cut off the ailerons and re-hinge them. Replace the aileron servos, re-do the linkages. What's the problem?

A guy at our field had an old Eagle 63 and it was one of the nicest flying trainers I've ever flown. I'm an instructor, so I've flown a few. Maybe it would fly just as well with the Tower wing, or maybe it wouldn't. I would fix it.

If you do, you will learn from it, and sometime when you crash you'll know you can fix an airplane.

Jim
Old 11-15-2015, 10:04 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loopdeeloop
I put a Tower 40 wing on a section of plastic drain pipe. Added tail feathers from a trash can at our field, stuck a 46 glow on the nose and it flew fine.
Sounds like good Ole American engineering which is put a big enough engine on anything and it will fly.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:27 PM
chip_MG
My Feedback: (14)

Sure it will work just fine. I've have used wing from different airplanes myself. Most times if they are close in form, mean airfoil type you will hardy be able to tell the difference in flight.
Good luck
Old 11-16-2015, 06:34 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with those who advocate a fix.

It shouldn't be a difficult repair and there is an opportunity to learn something rather than to buy something.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:59 AM
JimmyZep

Ill try to fix it 1st, nothing to loose.

Jimmy
Old 11-24-2015, 06:02 AM
bikerbc

You bet , it should be an easy swap over if Its a flat bottomed wing roughly the same size and If you can get the ailerons working you will be fine . I always save my spare parts and every now and then I will stick a Frankenstenin plane together and they usually fly fine and can be fun to fly

Last edited by bikerbc; 11-24-2015 at 06:08 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:29 PM
JimmyZep

I took another look at the ailerons and they are way too tight.

For me its not worth the trouble to try to re hinge it.

I just did the hinges on my Big Stik 40 and they went just fine, centered
and have a small gap and full range of motion.

This dude didn't use any method to get a proper gap.

The Tower Hobbies wing will be installed.

Jimmy
Old 12-05-2015, 01:30 PM
JimmyZep

The Tower Hobbies 40 wing is installed, much better.

More dihedral and bigger ailerons with a lot more throw.

I still have to check the balance. Had to make a spacer for the
back of the wing to fuse area.

Jimmy
Old 12-05-2015, 04:06 PM
Tom Nied

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

That sounds ok. You should be fine. Just make sure your CoG is good.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:33 AM
rcfs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should work fine. This will clarify any questions about the subject: http://www.rcflightschool.com/AirplaneGuidelines2.pdf
Old 03-31-2016, 10:16 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Yes, it will work fine. You probably could not tell the difference in the two if you had them side by side and flew both. But you could have bought an Eagle 2 wing kit from Tower instead of the Tower 40 wing. The Eagle 2 is the exact same airplane as the Eagle 63 and Tower has parts for both. But I like the fact that you were able and willing to experiment with the Tower wing on the Eagle.