Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trying To Start Flying Again

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trying To Start Flying Again

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 10:34 AM
western flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying To Start Flying Again

Hello all. I am getting back into the hobby again after about a 30+ year break. My kids brought me a present they had found at a yard sale. It happened to be a half assembled Carl Goldberg Eagle 63. After inspecting it I found many pieces missing or assembled wrong but thought it wouldn't be too hard to get flying until I visited my local hobby shop and discovered that the hobby has gotten a lot more technical than I remembered. It was put on a shelf until a few days ago when a friend gave me a large plastic tote full of electric motors and engines. All in all the box was full of mostly junk except for an OS Max 61 SF and a OS 61 Special Edition, which I think is just a 61 FSR with a gold head, and one K&B 3.5 inboard marine engine. All the engines need some work so my question is are these engines worth fixing or should I just buy a new one? My kids are not wanting to wait so they have now purchased a Horizon Sport Cub S RTF so they can fly while I try to finish the Eagle 63.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:19 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The engines are definitely worth working on. All they should really need is cleaning out, which means soaking them in fuel to loosen them up. At most, they may need new bearings if they are rusty.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:37 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've flown this plane on an OS 40 FP and for training purposes the power was perfect. That's a plain bearing engine that weighs under 12 oz with muffler. Light weight, super reliable, no bearings to rust, just the right power. The crazy thing is, no one seems to make an engine like this anymore. A couple of years ago you'd have your choice of an OS 46 LA or a TT 42 GP, either of which was similar in weight and reliability to the old 40 FP, but they are both discontinued now. You can still pick them up from individuals.

People now will tell you to get a ball bearing 46 with twice the power and 5 oz more weight. I think it's a bad idea for a trainer, because the throttle response is too much, the extra weight does you no good, and you've got ball bearings to take care of. I would pick up an OS 40 FP, 46 LA, or TT 42 GP in new condition from someone. There are thousands still around, and mostly unused. But most people will advise you to get the more powerful engine and tell you "that's what the throttle is for".

The OS 61s are likely very good engines, depending on condition, but they are too big, powerful and heavy for a trainer that size.

Jim
Old 11-16-2015, 08:13 AM
ratshooter

You can find OS FP-40s on ebay all the time. I have to force myself not to bid on them. I love the simple air bleed carbs and no bearings to worry about. I put a NIB FP 40 on a Tower Trainer just a few weeks ago. Tower had them for $90 and free shipping. Plus I got $10 off. WooHoo! An $80 dollar airplane that flies really well. It also has heat shrink covering that can be patched with monokote. I know because I already have a couple of patches. I am 3 decades away from needing a trainer but they are so much fun to fly.

I have several plain bearing motors in stock. They just work for me. One of the best I ever owned were the ones sold under the Tower name. I don't know who made them for tower but they started and run just as good as the OS FP engines. Plain bearing engines can be bought cheap because most people turn their noses up at them.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:38 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

First of all western flyer I would like to wecome you aboard here at RCU

Also the engines you listed like Jester suggested are all well worth saving as is the uncompleted Goldberg Eagle. There is one problem though, that is in my opinion as buzzard bait and ratshooter has hinted at is all those engines are just too big and heavy for that lovely little trainer. It will turn the airplane into a hotrod and certainly not the kind of airplane you want for a thirty year returnee. I too love the FP's but only have two and they will never leave my greedy paws, one on a small RC floatplane and the other on one of my controlline airplanes. I can tell you the FP, are definitely appreciated by the controlline crowd I forgot all the sizes of the FP's but at least four and up to .65. The .40 would be wonderful on the Eagle.

John
Old 11-16-2015, 01:59 PM
ratshooter

The FPs come in .10 thru .60. All excellent power plants and much lighter in weight than the ball bearing counter parts. One guy at the field I flew at had an Eagle 63 with a Fox .45 and I believe it was a bearing engine. It had lots of power and actually ran well for a Fox engine. He was a new flyer I taught to fly. I even had him using the rudder to make coordinated turns. Something most flyers never do.

Finish the Eagle you're gonna like it.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:49 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMHO an O.S. 46 LA would be "just right" in that CG Eagle 63. The 46 LA is the exact same size and weight as the 40 LA (or 40 FP) yet makes 20% more power. That's the one you want if you are flying off grass. Either one will fly the plane fine once in the air but the 46 will do a much better job getting it up to flying speed thru the grass on takeoff. There are lots of them new or used on Ebay, and Tower still sells them new at about $85. I too am a fan of the O.S. FP and LA series of engines, you just have make a good engine to airframe match. They are easy to start and tune, reliable, and are "fuel sippers".
Old 11-27-2015, 08:02 PM
Atitagain

Originally Posted by 52larry52
IMHO an O.S. 46 LA would be "just right" in that CG Eagle 63. The 46 LA is the exact same size and weight as the 40 LA (or 40 FP) yet makes 20% more power. That's the one you want if you are flying off grass. Either one will fly the plane fine once in the air but the 46 will do a much better job getting it up to flying speed thru the grass on takeoff. There are lots of them new or used on Ebay, and Tower still sells them new at about $85. I too am a fan of the O.S. FP and LA series of engines, you just have make a good engine to airframe match. They are easy to start and tune, reliable, and are "fuel sippers".

Nothing wrong with a 46 on a trainer Larry, however, (as far as Tower goes), the 46 LA is no more. Now it's the 46AXII for...get this....$150! But Ive got to admit those OS engines are hard to beat. But a bit over priced in my opinion. Don't get me wrong. I bought and used them but I grit my teeth as I'm pulling out the credit card. I used to love the old GMS-47 with the gold cylinder head. They were little screamers and looked so dang cool. And the $80 for the GMS left enough for some cold ones after a day at the air field.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:13 PM
Atitagain

Sorry Western Flyer... I forgot about your question. I don't claim to be an expert on the hobby but I can tell you this. Everytime I've had a dead-stick I've dirtied my shorts! If you're not sure if you'll stick with the hobby for a while, I'd go with a "trusted cheapy" NEW engine. Perhaps a less expensive Magnum-46 for around $95. Believe me I understand being "budget conscious" but in my opinion my time is of value as well. In other words, I'd just go new unless you have the patience and time to hunt down dependable parts and rebuild the used ebay model. It's true that you'll find some older "non-bearing" engines but do you have the equipment to properly measure the bore and/or piston wear? Good luck in your decision and welcome back!
Old 11-27-2015, 08:28 PM
52larry52

Atitagain, You are correct, the 46 LA has been discontinued....that's a shock to me, I didn't know. When did that happen? I've got two of them in my engine stash as well as a 15 LA, a 40 LA and a 65 LA (+ a 40 FP). I will horde them for my own use along with the other assorted glo engines I have collected in the last few years. Let's see the GMS engines are gone, so are Super Tigers, Thunder Tigers, Tower engines, and now the LA's too. Glad I built up my stash. It's not looking good for glo power!
Old 11-27-2015, 08:40 PM
Atitagain

Yeah...I hate to admit it but I think you are right about not looking good for glow. So many rc-hobby related websites I visit are 90% Electric power. Dang shame if you ask me! I'll stick with glow until they pry my OS from my cold dead fingers! LOL!!!
Old 11-27-2015, 09:06 PM
ratshooter

I just a few days ago let an OS FP-40 go on ebay. I had the winning bid up to the last few minutes. I had it for $40 NIB. It sold for $57 plus shipping. You can still find deals if you look. And going into winter with the holidays coming the deals will just get better.

There seems to be a good supply of plain bearing motors to be had. And don't turn your nose up at a used engine. Just look at the pictures real close. Look at the exhaust port and see how dark it is. Look and make sure the needle valve is straight and not bent from a crash. Make sure the cylinder doesn't look like a bunch of varnish has been cleaned off of it. Don't forget the Magnum PB ( I can't remember what they are called) engines or the Thunder Tiger GP engines. They are all pretty much copies of the OS engines.

As for buying one of the new OS engines. Yep they are expensive. But you will get an engine you will have a heck of a lot of fun trying to wear out. And they may cost a $150 bucks. But so what? Thats only 2 or 3 tanks of gas in my truck. Take the little wifey out to eat three times and you will have spent that much and all you have to show for it will be in the toilet the next morning.

What was that saying? The quality will be remembered long after the price is forgotten? Something like that.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:33 PM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome Western! Once you get the airplane and engine sorted you will find that the flying part is much like riding a bicycle. You'll be a bit rusty at first but in no time at all will be in top form.

Ken
Old 11-28-2015, 09:39 PM
52larry52

ratshooter,"The pain of poor quality will linger long after the thrill of a cheap price is forgotten", or something like that. How's that H-9 Cub coming?
Old 11-29-2015, 10:40 AM
ratshooter

52 Larry the Cub is still in the box untouched. I also bought a very clean used OS FS 70 to go on it. Maybe this winter will see it put together. Right now I have been messing with rifles and thinking about doing a little deer hunting.

I did buy a Midwest Aerosport 40 off ebay. It is nothing more than a Sweel Stik with a normal looking vertical tail instead of the round vertical. A Sweet Stik was the model I liked the very best out of the 60 or so planes I have flown. It is sitting on the building table right now. I got this kit for $75 with shipping. The auction ended just as the time change took place and I guess anyong wanting to snipe it got fooled. Another one sold for around $115 IIRC the next day.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:15 PM
52larry52

ratshooter, I understand, my H-9 Cub sat in the box under the bench for 2 yrs gaining seniority (collecting parts and accessories) while other projects were completed. We have had some nice weather here in west Georgia (we are about to go back to rain for a few days) so I got to fly some yesterday and today. Today was my recently completed Saito powered H-9 Cub's turn to spread it wings. Sweet flyer! Your OS 70 four stroke power will be "just right" when you get to it. Good buy on the $75 Aerosport too! Sunshine and tailwinds to ya.