Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

controld question for rc

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

controld question for rc

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:13 AM
jayseas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default controld question for rc

Novice here.If building a small rc aircraft, what two control surfaces should I use? Elevator and rudder?For eez of flying?
Old 02-12-2016, 10:23 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

That is a question that is impossible to answer without having a ton in information. For instance, what size is the plane? How much experience do you have building? What is your level of expertise in flying? Will the aircraft be throttled? But the simple answer is if you are limited to only two control surfaces, it would be rudder and elevator. Now tell us what it its you are attempting to do and there will be many folks who will be willing to enter into a discussion. Your question, is it is, is simply too vague to answer.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:29 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Way back when (1940/1950 era) rudder only was most common the some found a way to incorporate throttle control and there were lots of rudder/throttle only flights. Right now I'd suggest rudder and elevator to be most appropriate.
Old 02-13-2016, 07:09 AM
jetmech05

I've taught many folks to fly. Learn to fly the way you intend to fly. In other words if you want to have ailerons, rudder, elevators, and throttle. Then get a 4 channel trainer and learn to fly only once.
its not easier to start with 2 channels then move to 4.
One of my hardest students was a glider pilot, no throttle or ailerons. He had to relearn with the other 2 channels.
but if you only want 2 for what ever reason the rudder elevators
Old 02-13-2016, 05:04 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jayseas
Novice here.If building a small rc aircraft, what two control surfaces should I use? Elevator and rudder?For eez of flying?
Jayseas that question depends entirely and simply upon how much if any dihedral (upward tilt of the wings from the center section, and/or outboard panels as well as simple angled tip plates.

For example if the wings are close to flat the elevator and rudder only cannot work. In this case only elevator and ailerons will be effective .

Now if sufficient dihedral is used then elevator and rudder only can be quite effective and a useful method. In fact with an elevator and rudder only airplane increasing the dihedral increases the control response of the airplane and this is quite the opposite of the case with an elevator and aileron only airplane where flattening the wing increases control response.

Jayseas this is the most direct answer to you question possible. So for "eez of flying" only you know based on the lack of info on your design. Its because of persnikety design effects like I just described above that I am always preaching when you are new and learning to fly whether it be elevator and rudder, elevator ailerons or full house three axis and power designing your own first airplanes a really bad idea

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 02-13-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:48 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I flew with rudder, elevator and throttle for eight years before my first 4 channel aileron plane. When I made the transition to ailerons it was absolutely effortless. I would not hesitate to train someone with rudder and no ailerons, and I have in fact done exactly that. The students had no trouble flying with ailerons later. There is no downside. I flew my three channel planes in wind that other pilots didn't fly it. Put the rudder on the aileron channel, and yes, you have to have dihedral so the rudder will induce a roll.

Jim
Old 02-14-2016, 06:29 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also definitely concur with the point Buzzard Bait is making above about the effectiveness of an RC elevator rudder only airplane powered or unpowered for use as a trainer. Indeed they can be very useful in the training environment and seamless in transition to elevator and aileron or they can be horrible. Its all about design, that is the bottom line.

To this day I still actively teach Full House as well as Rudder/Elevator and heck even a bit of Controlline.

John