Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What size engine should I use?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What size engine should I use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 04:27 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Assorted size hole saws will get the lightening holes made. For cases where you want an oval hole just make two close or overlapping holes with the hole saw and connect the sides with a key hole saw to create an oval hole. Of course some clean up with sandpaper will be needed. Cover with your favorite covering material when the "Swiss cheese job" is done. Look at other similar size and type airplanes to get a a idea of where to make the lightening holes without weakening the structure. It seems like 2 weeks ago you were about to do a test flight, and now you are about to put this lead sled on a diet including cutting sanding and covering! As an outsider (it's not my time, effort, money or my airplane), but I am wondering about the wisdom of this venture. Just saying, a new 60 size G.P. Stick ARF is just $199 ! (G.P. Stick kits are NLA). If you're still having fun with this project then go for it and get the hole saw out.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:30 PM
Jack_K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just hate the idea of dumping the plane. I've not been well and the wind is fierce here lately so I haven't had a chance to fly.
Old 03-13-2016, 06:07 PM
52larry52

Yea, it's been windy around here too. Sometimes these restoration projects may not make "dollars and sense" on a practical basis, but have great value on a learning and self satisfaction basis. I've been in "too deep" on some I've undertaken also but used them as a nothing to loose trying this or that project. Anyone can just buy a new ARF, but only a few of us can build a kit or rebuild an old neglected plane. As long a you have an open mind and are enjoying the rebuild then you are doing the right thing even if it takes more time and money. Press on!
Old 03-14-2016, 06:23 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the fuse is way over-built. If the wing is good, I would build a new fuselage and tail feathers for it. You can use the landing gear and pushrods from the one you have. The rest is as simple as an airplane can possibly be. I agree with the others; the plane is too heavy to be much fun to fly.

Jim
Old 03-14-2016, 08:52 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Could you post some photos? Very possible you have one of those cheap ARF's that were so common 10-15 years ago. They used very heavy materials and wallpaper/shelf liner for covering really heavy plywood and stick construction (cheap).
They use hot glue for assembly.........re-covering helps a bunch.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:01 AM
Jack_K

Here are a few. All but one taken in the wing saddle area. The other is the fuel tank bay.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0693.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	958.2 KB
ID:	2152593   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0694.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	2152594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0696.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	1,008.5 KB
ID:	2152595   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0697.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	2152596  
Old 03-14-2016, 03:45 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

Jack,
From the amount of paint and other material present it's no mystery why the weight. I suspect it's one of the early ARF's Ie, the first photo shows grainy course wood not consistent with good lite-ply. Think I would fly it as is and let the chips fall where they may? It may surprise you on how well it will do. Cheaper to buy a new one than try rescue this one, in my opinion?
Fly it until it dies.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:26 PM
52larry52

Gizmo thinks it's an early ARF, my guess is it's an over done kit built Stick but who knows for sure. I agree with gizmo's advice to fly it as is (with C/G balancing) and see what you got before going to the extent of cutting lightening holes and recovering it. After flying it you can then reassess your plan to go further with this plane or use it as is. Just my approach, there is no right or wrong.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:50 PM
52larry52

OPPS, I see by your other post in Q&A that you have started "surgery". Too late to fly it as is. Press on.