Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

How to set surfaces after aircraft is trimmed??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

How to set surfaces after aircraft is trimmed??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2016, 06:40 PM
tony0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After you adjustments to center the trims , you will need to retrim the plane ,once again ,and possible tweek the adjustments some ,from future flights
Keep in mind that changes in temp ,can effect your control rods and airframe that will expend and contract ,( metal and balsa wood ) especially if you use the sullivan metal rods in the red sleeve ,which is my control rod of choice with hays clevises
Put the control rod ,as close to the inside of the servo horn ,while still getting the control throw you desire ( the same amount of throw ,at a slower interval ,so more control )
The difference of flying a plane in the winter and then again in the summer ,can change the way a planes trim adjustments will require centering
A simpler method is to mark down the trim locations ,and be sure they are all set correctly before your take off .and fly the plane that way
As long as the trims are fairly close to the center ,leave them be and fly the plane ,due to the changes in temp that will always be effecting your airframe for as long as you own it
i fly planes that are some of my first and over 20 years oold
Old 05-20-2016, 12:47 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The easy way in my book would be to hook a second radio up with a buddy cord. Then pull the trainer switch back and forth and adjust the trims on the slave radio until they match the master radio and the surfaces do not move when the buddy switch is pulled. Now center the trims on the master radio and adjust the linkage until the surfaces don't move when you pull the trainer switch activating the slave radio.

david
Old 05-21-2016, 07:13 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still don't see the need to do this. All your doing is setting the transmitter back to zero trim. The control surfaces remain in a trimmed state. If you have to retrim you're right back to square one.
Besides to me trim is a temporary state.
Unless you're about out of trim. But that is a different problem