Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

My first BIG crash

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

My first BIG crash

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 09:51 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnBuckner
AllModes if I read correctly you lost your only airplane/trainer yesterday. If so it is very important that you do not stop flying to build an airplane while I totally agree with the fellows about building yes it is a great experience but and here is another of those big 'Buts' If you stop flying now to build a replacement you run the risk of losing interest and we lose you entirely.

Building your first build you can count on it taking at least at a minimum of three times longer or more than you estimated. Don,t run the risk of losing what you have gained do not stop flying especially now to build. Get an arf or anything to keep flying while you build. Far to many fade away when they stop flying to build.

John
No worries. I actually do have second plane that I flew today two times. It's the mid-wing sport plane some of you may remember when I was asking a bunch of questions about setting up the control rods. Now that the trainer is a carcass I figured it was time to finally fly it. I adjusted the dual rates and exponential and it flies very tame, similar to the trainer I'm used to.

imgurl

The very first flight today was a bit hairy as the ailerons were out of trim and it kept banking to the right but I got it trimmed. It rotates and lands at a higher speed than my trainer and it still being nose heavy makes it worse. I already put weights on both sides of the vertical stabilizer just above the horizontal stabilizer. I really don't want to add more weights and I'm assuming trimming it with a bunch of up elevator isn't a good idea either? Any ideas? I already pushed the flight battery as far back as possible.

Sorry to hijack your thread OP.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 07-09-2016 at 10:03 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:53 PM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good looking shoulder wing plane, kind of resembles the Sig Mid Star with a rounded turtle deck and
streamlined canopy. What I do if a couple of stick-on weights aren't enough to balance a plane which
needs weight to the rear is to make a small compartment under the stabilizer as far back as possible
on the bottom of the fuselage and put a screw down cover (1/8" ply) over it so that I can add or take
away any weights that I need to. For instance if you changed to a heavier and you didn't need the weight
that you have in the tail compartment you could remove it. This is a very simple installation to do in any
model be it an ARF or kit plane. I usually use fishing weights (1/4, 1/2 & 1 oz.) in the compartment & to keep
them from moving around with some very thin foam or tissue. Cover the little hatch with covering in same
color or a contrasting color to the base color of the plane.

But also remember that a slightly nose heavy plane is a lot better than a tail heavy one !!!!!!!

Last edited by Bill Diedrich; 07-09-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:49 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

deleted

Last edited by J330; 07-12-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:31 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with JohnBuckner. If you want to build a kit, great! The Tiger is a good one, so is the Stick. If you want a good easy and inexpensive first kit, get an Uproar. But don't quit flying in order to build. If that mid-wing bites the dust , get that Avistar back in the air while you fix it! At the very least, buy an electric like a Parkzone T-28 or something similar to keep your flying skills progressing while you build! There's nothing that says you have to stay with fuel or electric either. I fly both and enjoy both for different reasons. I don't have half a dozen of each just because I like to collect. The problem I have is I don't have time to repair planes on a weekly basis and I enjoy flying more than I do repairing or building. So if I crash one, it goes on the shelf for a few weeks until I can fix it, and I fly something else in the meantime!

In my book, if you are serious about progressing your skills, you probably need at least three working planes at any given time. Most important, I need one for relaxing and just enjoying the basics (that would be my 1/4 scale Cub). Second, I need one for training and practicing (this would be my Avistar or my T-28). And lastly, I need one for testing my skills and pushing myself to progress (this would be my Venus or my Something Extra).

Last edited by hugger-4641; 07-13-2016 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 11:46 AM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I found out yesterday that Phoenix Models sells the Tiger 3 in an ARF! Best of all it's actually cheaper than the Chinese clone. The required engine is between .46-.55 cu in and the old Super Tigre from the trainer is a .45. The updated GS-45 version actually has a .46 displacement if you want to split hairs. Should work out perfectly.

Last edited by AllModesR/C; 07-13-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 02:30 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Allmodes that should make an excellent choice and engine combo that you will enjoy