Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

gas kadet senior

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

gas kadet senior

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 03:45 PM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MARK JR
15 cc engine is a .60 right
No. 15cc is .91 cubic inches. 10cc is .61 c.i.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:35 PM
MARK JR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just found out that a 15 cc engine is a .91do you agree?
Old 07-19-2016, 04:40 PM
MARK JR

Hey, guys can you hand launch a sig kadet senior?
Old 07-19-2016, 04:58 PM
MTK

Hey, guys can you hand launch a sig kadet senior?
Easily, especially if built at around five pounds. But why hand launch the crate? It's simple plane to t-o.

Last edited by MTK; 07-19-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I just found out that a 15 cc engine is a .91do you agree?
It's either a .91 or, as I've seen listed on some charts, a 1.0. Since I run .67s in my scale unlimited hydroplanes and they are listed as 11cc by the manufacturer, CMB Italia. Using the figures given by CMB, I can up with the following:
.67=11cc
1cc=.0609
.0609 X 15=.9136

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-19-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:02 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

John, do you launch that plane?
Yes Mark that airplane I was setting up permanently on floats and I did not at that time build wheeled gear for it. Since I only can get to the water only four or five times a year it proved handy to test an extended fuel system this way.

Most any senior can be hand launched even with very small engines if the proper techniques are used. Not really an advisable technique if you are learning though. About the only ones that I would not hand launch are my four engine Seniors or my latest a Senior with a .65 AX in front and a Jet turbine on top.

Here is video of my Senior with the smallest engine an OS .35AX being hand launched:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-ipvqIs8C8

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 07-19-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:11 PM
MARK JR

I loved your video John. What is the secret? Go full speed and launch it?
Old 07-19-2016, 05:13 PM
MARK JR

Can you hand launch any high wing plane?
Old 07-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I think it depends on wing loading. A lightly loaded plane will probably fly while a heavier one will need more airspeed to get enough lift to stay airborne
Old 07-19-2016, 05:51 PM
JohnBuckner

OK First the disclaimers. If you don,t already know how to fly then save this for later.

You can either work with a helper so you can keep both thumbs on the stick during launch or you can even be done alone. Before I go on thought I feel (at least with the cadet seniors) that running with the airplane before launch usually dooms the launch. Much better with the feet firmly planted or in my case brakes on.

Now to the secrets, your single launch arm (left or right) must grasp the airplane directly under the center of gravity and the technique I use to do this is with trusted helper. After starting engine I position my self facing directly into any wind and raise launch arm (I am a lefty) and my helper will only then approach me from behind with the airplane and he is instructed to place that sweet spot directly in my hand but under no circumstances to let go until I shake the airplane.

This gives me time to assure I am gripping at the exact sweet spot. Now there is one more 'secret' and this one is very important and that is the Seniors fuselage is too wide to grip simply by squeezing during the pitch your hand will just slip. That secret is to use the main gear of the tri geared airplanes to provide a non slip point wrap you pointer finger around. It in those few seconds that I make sure my pointer finger has something solid to push aginst.

After the airplane shake signal and my grip position is good I open the throttle fully with my mouth but hesitate a few seconds more and wait till the engine fully spooled up. About all that left is to follow thru just like a baseball pitcher and that arm swing right back down to the sticks. I would not hand launch a taidragger Senior unless had built some sort of finger grip or push hole into the airplane.

John
Old 07-19-2016, 07:29 PM
52larry52

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John, Thanks for your thoughts on the "clone" Kadets. My recently sold Sig Kadet was well built and nice and light for it's physical size. The knockoff was poorly built and made out of some strange type of wood. It had little to no real balsa. The parts were nicely lazer cut but lacked good glue joints. I added glue, reinforcements, glue, modifications, glue, balsa wood, glue, plywood, and some more glue. I feel good about the airframe now and look forward to flying it. I did a "restyle" to a taildragger with Cub style tailfeathers, dural main gear with Cub type bungies, oversize dubro inflatable main tundra tires, sprung tail wheel, functional wing struts, functional tail wires, Cub Yellow covering with black lightning bolts and black "NC" numbers, and to finish off the fake out, Piper teddy bears on the vert stab. Yea, it's a fake Cub. I have lots of real scale model Cubs in all sizes, but somehow thought a Kadet made into a fake Cub would be fun. This new, but castoff knockoff Super Senior provided the basis for this venture. Just having fun . I did an engine run and taxi test in my yard today and it's ready to fly. I'm pumped, can't wait for Sunday.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:11 PM
JohnBuckner

Well alright then now I am pumped and can,t wait to hear your thooughts on the 'clones'
Old 07-20-2016, 05:42 AM
MARK JR

Thank you John, U really appreciate it. I'll try launching my kadet senior next Sunday
Old 07-20-2016, 05:44 AM
MARK JR

I really appreciate it John thank you
Old 07-24-2016, 07:46 PM
52larry52

John, Well today I did the maiden on the Kadet knockoff with the Piper Cub clothing. Fun airplane ! First off, I was able to fool several people that should have known better with the Cub looks. Questions like "is that a clip wing Cub?" or "whose Cub is that?" let me know I hit the mark with the Cub restyle job. That's what I wanted to do. As far as the flying goes, you were right about the 11.0 lbs RTF weight not being a factor. We had to readjust the NV on the K&B 61 several times to find the sweet spot as it kept leaning out in the air and dead sticking (it glides fine). It required quite a bit of down elevator for level flight and after trimming and then re adjusting the elevator linkage between flights so the trim when centered had the needed down elevator setting in it, it flew straight and level hands off. With the K&B 61 adjusted rich enough to not dead stick any more, loops from level flight were big and without issue. Power is just right. Rolls were pretty snappy for the type and size of the plane. A small amount of up elevator at the start of the roll with a bump of down elevator at halfway and a small amount of rudder used with the ailerons made nice rolls. It would also do stall turns and fly inverted, all I could ask for out of a restyled Kadet. Of course the best thing this "Kubdet" did was slow, low flybys looking like something from from Lock Haven, Pennsylvania. It's a keeper.

Last edited by 52larry52; 07-24-2016 at 08:03 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-25-2016, 04:40 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you John, U really appreciate it. I'll try launching my kadet senior next Sunday

Please post a vid, when you do. I'm sure that many would like to see the outcome.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:15 AM
JohnBuckner

Hey cool Larry glad your Kubdet is a keeper. Ya know I think the Seniors are the most kit bashed airplanes ever. There are as many different ways to approach this too some like me want the airplane to be recognizable as to what it really is but yet something else entirely and the other extreme is to completely fool the folks as to the origin.

The most radical along that line that I ever came across was some years ago at the London Bridge float fly someone from the northwest had bashed one into a twin engine floatplane bomber with very scale like nacelles. He had redone all the tail feathers with curves and done the fuse with rounded top and bottom making the airplane look like a mid wing. This one had me stumped until I came to the wingtips and that was the giveaway. It was a great kit bash and flew very well indeed.

John
Old 07-25-2016, 06:22 PM
52larry52

John, I think as long as you keep the basic flight surfaces close to original, it doesn't matter what you do to the looks and style, it's gonna fly. I guess that's why kit bashing a Kadet is so successful. My co-pilot Ty, bashed a Kadet into a three engine (3 four strokes) war bird with a dropable bomb, multiple fax rockets hanging from the wing, camo covering job, and lights. It's heavier than mine by quite a bit but still flys well as long as all engines are running. I know you have an 8 engine (electrics I think) Kadet among others. If I ever bash another Kadet, I think a fax Spirit of St. Louis would be my target. I hope you're doing well and getting to fly. Cheers
Old 07-26-2016, 07:49 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that the Kadet would make a good base for building a Spirit of St Louis. I've considered doing it, myself.
Old 07-31-2016, 12:41 PM
AdamsBro
My Feedback: (14)

I'd say go for it! If you have the plane and you have the engine, try it out! If not, get a different engine for the kadet (like a glow .52-.70 fourstroke is perfect), and then get a new plane for the 15cc gasser. Just have fun.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:52 AM
MARK JR

Hi guys, what's a better option for a biggener sig kadet sport or avistar 30 cc?
Old 12-08-2016, 12:48 PM
JohnBuckner

Hi guys, what's a better option for a biggener sig kadet sport or avistar 30 cc?
Mark those two are not even remotely in the same class. The Big Avistar is just that 'big' and yes only ten inchs greater in wingspan but darn near double the weight at 17 pounds.

The two have entirely different missions, The Cadet is First and foremost is a 'beginners' airplane that is arguably The most successful RC trainer ever. Although one that can do a fine job of aerobatics. The Big Avistar is intended to be a 'Giant Scale Trainer' There is a big difference.

So Mark what happened with your Senior Cadet you already have. Did you attempt it without a mentor?????

John
Old 12-08-2016, 05:11 PM
born2build

Let's not forget the Telemaster series. The Senior Telemaster ARF is a wonderful flier! Just don't over-power it or it won't come down. We switched from a Saito .91 to an .82 and it was perfect. You can find it at Hobby Lobby's website.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:16 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

It's spelled "Kadet"
Old 12-08-2016, 07:18 PM
52larry52

Now Tom, don't be picking on John over his spelling. His spell checker may be on the fritz. It's his knowledge that is important, not if it's a "Cadet" or a "Kadet". Anyway, in my case it's a "Kubdet" !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.