Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Spektrum vs Turnigy

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Spektrum vs Turnigy

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 03:31 PM
Athenas Dad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum vs Turnigy

Hi Everyone........I know...another radio guestion.......Im just about ready to buy a Spektrum 6x6i............but.....the Turnigy 9x is much cheaper....pro's and cons please........I will be flying the Durafly Tundra.....Thank's Everyone.....
Old 08-13-2016, 03:19 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The key word may be "cheaper".
Old 08-14-2016, 08:55 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'll suggest getting something better than the DX6i. The gimbal pots have been problematic for years on them. The Turnigy is very cheaply made. I wouldn't trust it for any plane I had significant money in.
Old 08-15-2016, 04:48 AM
AdamsBro
My Feedback: (14)

I've used both.
Boy these planes people are flying must be real beauties :-P
I think they are both great! Spektrum will be better if you are going to have questions, other people at your field will know how to run the radio. Turnigy is kind of an off brand, and can be tricky programming and whatnot.
If you like to mess around with stuff and watch youtube videos to program your radio and plane, go for the turnigy, it is fun if you are into that kind of thing.
They are both reasonably priced so you can't really get hurt too bad either way.
If you are worried about reliability, I fly the Turnigy 9XR with the orange module and an orange receiver in a 106 inch high wing aerobat with a 50cc gasoline engine. Never a glitch, and I've had it out very far.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:23 AM
bikerbc

No matter what radio you chose you will get negative comments about it . I would chose a Radio with no less than 6 channels , a radio that is well established like Futaba , Hitec , Spektrum ,JR , and maybe Tactic . You should not let money influence your decision on your radio purchase too much . If you plan on staying in the hobby then you will need a radio that you can grow into . Even a 6 channel is too small for many of the bigger planes .Your radio will stay with you for a long time so its worth thinking about where you would like to go in the hobby and then get a radio that will help get you there. For example a scale plane with flaps and retracts would need 5 servos in the wing and ideally each would have its own channel Then rudder , throttle , elevator . We are already up to 8 channels . If we are running a gasser we don't have enough for a kill switch . So you can see where extra channels are an important consideration . Some of the newer radios seem to give better bang for the buck and maybe they will turn out to be okay and maybe they won't . I think I might try Tactic .