Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sim to real life transitioning

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sim to real life transitioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 04:32 AM
Johnnysplits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AllModesR/C
Last weekend at my field there was a new flier with an Apprentice. I was amazed how slowly and gently that plane flies. Flying into the wind he actually made it hover
That sounds great to me!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:10 AM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
That sounds great to me!
I say go for it! But get extra batteries (2 or3) and a decent charger. Then, you'll be all set.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:17 AM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by born2build
I say go for it! But get extra batteries (2 or3) and a decent charger. Then, you'll be all set.
Yes, I'm going to get two more batteries and I already have a $300 charger, so I'm good. I also ordered the Hyperion V3 battery sentry to replace the first version of it. Went to a fly-in today at the club I plan on joining. It was a lot of fun, but my god, there were only a few people close to my age. I thought r/c flight was enjoyed by all ages, not just a bunch of old people lol.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:54 AM
born2build

Yes, I'm going to get two more batteries and I already have a $300 charger, so I'm good. I also ordered the Hyperion V3 battery sentry to replace the first version of it. Went to a fly-in today at the club I plan on joining. It was a lot of fun, but my god, there were only a few people close to my age. I thought r/c flight was enjoyed by all ages, not just a bunch of old people lol.
A $300 charger? What are you charging, a Tesla? I'M KIDDING! (not really). Gawd, I sound like Trump. Anyway, don't sweat the age difference. Us "old people" don't mind you young'uns that much. Ha! We all have a common interest we can share. Ain't it cool? Besides... You're next! Fair winds and blue skies, buddy. Keep us posted, okay?
Old 09-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Johnnysplits

A $300 charger? What are you charging, a Tesla? I'M KIDDING! (not really). Gawd, I sound like Trump. Anyway, don't sweat the age difference. Us "old people" don't mind you young'uns that much. Ha! We all have a common interest we can share. Ain't it cool? Besides... You're next! Fair winds and blue skies, buddy. Keep us posted, okay?
Yeah, I know about the age thing. I'm 48 and still feel like 21, but man the years seem to be passing by a lot faster now. That expensive charger I bought is the result of buying about 12 lesser chargers that were absolute crap. I was getting into FE boats and needed high performance, high power, high accuracy charging equipment. Charging 4 6s lipo's simultaneously at 3C takes a lot of juice. I'll tell you though, I'm at a loss with balancing. I've been researching balance machines and different methods of doing it all on youtube, and I'm just not sure what to get. I'm not digging the vanessa rig. Looked a lot at the E-Z Balancer lite. $80, but looks well made and is supposed to last a lifetime. All great reviews. Almost pulled the trigger on it until I came upon one guy who does not like it at all. How he described the threaded screws at the balance point creating drag made sense. But I'm sure there is a fix for it...maybe a shouldered bolt? I like this balance rig, but $80 yikes!
Old 09-10-2016, 01:47 PM
born2build

Okay on the charger. Whatever it takes to make it, huh? I keep my E-powered stuff pretty simple, no bigger than 450 so as to keep things within my meager budget. I still love glow power though. I have a box of engines that range from a Cox Tee Dee .020 to a Supertigre S-2000. Plenty to choose from, although the ones smaller than my ST- X15 have been rendered obsolete by E-power technology. I recently acquired a NIB OS 46ax and a Saito 62, also NIB. The Saito was bought specifically for a Sig Kadet Senior. Right now, however, I'm putting the finishing touches on a Hanger 9 Christen Eagle. That should be a real hoot. As far as balancing goes, all of my planes are "normal sized " or smaller so the Great Planes CG Machine is adequate for most of my stuff. I like to build (no, really!) and one of my favorite things is take the Dumas kits for rubber powered free flight and convert them to electric R/C. Several of those are awaiting their turn at the bench. So many airplanes and only one lifetime. It hardly seems fair. Oh, and the Sig Rascal? definitely E-power. Want was I thinking?! "Bashing balsa since 1979"
Old 09-10-2016, 03:39 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah, I know about the age thing. I'm 48 and still feel like 21, but man the years seem to be passing by a lot faster now.
That's because life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.
I'll hit the big double nickel in about 7 weeks, and I have absolutely no idea where the time went.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:17 PM
born2build

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
That's because life is like a roll of toilet paper. The closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.
I'll hit the big double nickel in about 7 weeks, and I have absolutely no idea where the time went.
Well, that was depressing. I'll be 64 next March and I still don't relate to that Beatles song.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:20 AM
Johnnysplits

Life is just not fair. Anyway, I think I'll go for this fancy cg machine and see how it goes. I'm pissed that my apprentice hasn't shown up yet. I went to a flying club by me yesterday and spoke with the pres. He and the others there seem like a cool group to be around, so I'll wait until the 1st of the month to get an AMA membership, then the club membership. Really wish I had a lot more money...there are some awesome planes out there that I wish I could have...namely a giant scale Corsair with a 400cc Moki radial. I'll start saving my pennies lol.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:09 AM
born2build

Ha! Of course you know you're talking about a $10,000 model airplane, right? Even if I could afford it, I couldn't bear the thought of casting my fate to the ether with that much at stake. A man has got to know his limitations. Glad you found a good group of guys to fly with. It will make a big difference. Most of the guys at my field are not as dedicated to model aviation as I am. I find it difficult to relate to them as a result. Virtually all of them have never even built a model airplane. Model builders are a rare breed these days, I guess. But I digress. Hang in there. Patience is a valuable asset in this hobby. You'll get there. "Always something on the bench."
Old 09-11-2016, 06:11 AM
Johnnysplits

Ha! Of course you know you're talking about a $10,000 model airplane, right? Even if I could afford it, I couldn't bear the thought of casting my fate to the ether with that much at stake. A man has got to know his limitations. Glad you found a good group of guys to fly with. It will make a big difference. Most of the guys at my field are not as dedicated to model aviation as I am. I find it difficult to relate to them as a result. Virtually all of them have never even built a model airplane. Model builders are a rare breed these days, I guess. But I digress. Hang in there. Patience is a valuable asset in this hobby. You'll get there. "Always something on the bench."
Yeah, it would be pretty nerve wracking to have 10 grand flying around lol...lucky rich people! I'm going to be very dedicated, but I have no plans to build a plane. ARF is where I'm staying. I don't possess the patients, talent, or space to even attempt building a .40 trainer...let alone about giant scale! If I couldn't get through building an r/c boat kit, there's no way I can do a plane.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:09 AM
born2build

It's not so much about talent, It's about skill. Skill can be acquired. Talent is something you are born with. I built my first model on my kitchen table, covered with a 2'x4' piece of Celotex (ceiling tile). When you think about it, everything we do is to make us feel a certain way. Eating, sleeping, listening to a favorite song, it's all about how it makes us feel. I built that first plane 37 years ago, and I still remember how I felt when my instructor flew it for the first time. It was...glorious. Not to mention how much I learned in a relatively short amount of time. Most non-builders don't even know the difference between the angle of attack and the angle of incidence, which are pretty important things to know. But, that's just me.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:58 PM
Johnnysplits

Most non-builders don't even know the difference between the angle of attack and the angle of incidence, which are pretty important things to know. But, that's just me.
Oh I know the difference! Maybe, just maybe I'll try building a small kit...just to try it. I have a kitchen table too...and no wife or live-in girlfriend to say that I can't use it as a workbench. Hmmm
Old 09-12-2016, 09:02 PM
born2build

Oh I know the difference! Maybe, just maybe I'll try building a small kit...just to try it. I have a kitchen table too...and no wife or live-in girlfriend to say that I can't use it as a workbench. Hmmm
Well, that's encouraging. You could build something while you're getting stick time on the Apprentice. When you say "something small", how small are we talking? Would you power it with gas, glow, or electric? I may have a few ideas for you once we establish some parameters. I am at your service.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:30 PM
Johnnysplits

Well, that's encouraging. You could build something while you're getting stick time on the Apprentice. When you say "something small", how small are we talking? Would you power it with gas, glow, or electric? I may have a few ideas for you once we establish some parameters. I am at your service.
Well thank you sir. I was thinking maybe an electric powered .60 size low wing taildragger trainer...something somewhat less complicated...if there is such a thing.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Johnnysplits

How about this kit? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXEZHR&P=0
Old 09-13-2016, 12:58 PM
Johnnysplits

Scratch that...how about a Sig four star 120 with a 20cc gas engine? Yeah that sounds better!
Old 09-13-2016, 02:47 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

"First learn walk, then learn fly. Nature rule, Daniel-san, not mine." Mr. Miyagi, The Karate Kid
Old 09-13-2016, 04:55 PM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by flyboy2610
"First learn walk, then learn fly. Nature rule, Daniel-san, not mine." Mr. Miyagi, The Karate Kid
Gotcha!! Can't go from a chevette to a corvette without gaining some skills first.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:00 PM
born2build

Mind if I stir the pot a little? I have flown both the Sig Four Star 40 and 60 ( for other people), and they handle very nicely. My own personal preference for this type of transitional aircraft is the Great Planes Super Sportster 60. I liked this airplane so much I built 2 of them! While it is similar to the Four Star series, there are some key differences, not the least of which is the airfoil. It is thick (15%), fully symmetrical and has a blunt leading edge. While this airfoil design allows for fully aerobatic flight, it also yields great low-speed handling. It is actually easier to land than a trainer (less ballooning). The wider main gear makes for better ground handling and the stall speed is practically zero (no kidding!) The Super Sportster 60 feels so solid, and so smooth, I can't imagine a better choice for a second airplane a first build. Low parts count, excellent plans and instructions (do exactly what they say), quality hardware, superb handling... and she's good lookin', too! What more could you ask for?
Old 09-14-2016, 10:42 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Super Sportster is better than it's reputation, which is good.

So is the Tiger 60. It's often built as a tail dragger and is one of the best landing/flying "basic" models ever designed. Might be a touch easier to build.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:15 AM
born2build

Originally Posted by da Rock
Super Sportster is better than it's reputation, which is good.

So is the Tiger 60. It's often built as a tail dragger and is one of the best landing/flying "basic" models ever designed. Might be a touch easier to build.
I think that's a fair assessment. The Goldberg Tiger II is a very good airplane. I just think the Super Sportster 60 has a better flight envelope for basic as well as intermediate flying. You won't outgrow it's capabilities quite so quickly. But, let's face it, these are all good choices, no doubt about it.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:20 PM
Johnnysplits

Mind if I stir the pot a little? I have flown both the Sig Four Star 40 and 60 ( for other people), and they handle very nicely. My own personal preference for this type of transitional aircraft is the Great Planes Super Sportster 60. I liked this airplane so much I built 2 of them! While it is similar to the Four Star series, there are some key differences, not the least of which is the airfoil. It is thick (15%), fully symmetrical and has a blunt leading edge. While this airfoil design allows for fully aerobatic flight, it also yields great low-speed handling. It is actually easier to land than a trainer (less ballooning). The wider main gear makes for better ground handling and the stall speed is practically zero (no kidding!) The Super Sportster 60 feels so solid, and so smooth, I can't imagine a better choice for a second airplane a first build. Low parts count, excellent plans and instructions (do exactly what they say), quality hardware, superb handling... and she's good lookin', too! What more could you ask for?
Ok cool, I'll take a look at it!
Old 09-14-2016, 01:29 PM
Johnnysplits

Think I'm going to try this for plane #2, then I'll look into building a kit. http://www.valuehobby.com/dynam-cessna-188-pnp.html
Old 09-14-2016, 05:12 PM
Johnnysplits

It finally arrived and no damage! Now I've had 4 wood planes over the last 31 years...crashed 3 on maiden flight, sold 1. Now this is my first foam plane. All I've got to say is this...who in their right mind would want to have foam planes...as in nice, scale looking. What a POS!! I would expect to find something close to this foam crap in Toys R Us. I can guarantee that this will be the first and last foam plane for me.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1617.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2181138  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.