Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Sim to real life transitioning

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Sim to real life transitioning

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 05:13 PM
Johnnysplits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know why my pics keep turning when I post.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:39 PM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, Johnny. Calm down, okay? You didn't know the Apprentice was made of foam? You've never seen a foam R/C plane before? While I do agree with you that foam is pretty disgusting, think of the Apprentice as a tool (in more ways than one!). It's a tool for learning how to fly, that's all. As putrid as it is, it does what it was designed to do very well. Just bite the bullet and put the thing together. Go to the field and find an instructor you trust and fly that thing like the tool that it is. In the meantime, start building a real model airplane for yourself. By the way, you know that Cessna Agwagon is also made of foam, right? Also, I want a full debrief after every flying session, got it?
Old 09-15-2016, 03:01 AM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by born2build
Hey, Johnny. Calm down, okay? You didn't know the Apprentice was made of foam? You've never seen a foam R/C plane before? While I do agree with you that foam is pretty disgusting, think of the Apprentice as a tool (in more ways than one!). It's a tool for learning how to fly, that's all. As putrid as it is, it does what it was designed to do very well. Just bite the bullet and put the thing together. Go to the field and find an instructor you trust and fly that thing like the tool that it is. In the meantime, start building a real model airplane for yourself. By the way, you know that Cessna Agwagon is also made of foam, right? Also, I want a full debrief after every flying session, got it?
LOL! Yes sir, I knew it was foam before I bought it. Yes, I had a foam glider once...from a toy store. I'm thinking foam is just not my thing. I'll use the hell out of it until I'm good, then it's wood and fiberglass from that point on. I'm waiting for the hobby store to open so I can get a new set of tires and a work stand for this thing. Maybe a couple of extra props just in case. And yeah, I'm scratching the Cessna Agwagon lol. No more foam!
Old 09-15-2016, 05:36 AM
born2build

Ha! You're starting to sound like me (not sure if that's a good thing or not), I hate foam! I currently have four models in my fleet, all balsa. Three are electric, and one glow. Extra props are definitely a good idea. I am always amazed at how many guys have had to quit flying for the day 'cuz they nicked a prop on landing and didn't bother to bring extras. Then, there's always somebody who drives all the way out to the field, only to find they can't fly because they didn't bother to pre-flight the night before. Don't be that guy! Make a check list. I even keep a flight log. I include things like how many flights, weather conditions, any changes I made, stuff like that. But, that's just me. Remember, luck is not a factor!
Old 09-15-2016, 09:36 AM
Johnnysplits

Yes, I plan on logging everything. I did some assembly today. The screw in the horn that the nose gear attaches to is too short. I changed it out for one that was 4mm longer and it worked out. been having troubles programming the DX6i to have the flight modes I want. Just want intermediate and experienced. After struggling for about an hour or so, it looks like I have beginner and experienced which are toggled by the flap switch. Any help would certainly be appreciated. I also swapped out the stock tires for Dubro super light treaded 2 3/4" tires. Does super glue gel eat foam? I have it and if I don't really need foam glue, I'll use it. I plan on gluing the wing halves together instead of using the double sided tape that came with it. With no wing, I placed the plane on the floor and gave it some throttle. Holy crap this thing moves instantly! Glad I didn't really jump on it or it would have crashed into the sliding glass door. I'm so wanting to fly it tomorrow morning. After a lot of sim time, I'm feeling confident that I'll be successful.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:10 AM
philakapd

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
It finally arrived and no damage! Now I've had 4 wood planes over the last 31 years...crashed 3 on maiden flight, sold 1. Now this is my first foam plane. All I've got to say is this...who in their right mind would want to have foam planes...as in nice, scale looking. What a POS!! I would expect to find something close to this foam crap in Toys R Us. I can guarantee that this will be the first and last foam plane for me.

Your comments are very funny, thank you for the laugh. I don't care for foam myself, but as previously mentioned it serves as a good learning tool. Saving money while learning to fly R/C can be difficult. I think you are on a good path gaining knowledge prior to flying and listening to fellow hobbyist who have been where you are now. I'm still envious of you and the path you are flying on! Have a great time and make sure a friend gets a few maiden pictures of your aircraft. Foam or not, you will treasure it if you get the bug.

Clear Skies!
-PD
Old 09-15-2016, 11:15 AM
born2build

Hey, Johnny (My name is Richard, By the way). Use foam-safe CA. However, to join the wing halves, I recommend 30 Minute epoxy. You want the center section of the wing to be as strong as possible as the flight loads tend to be concentrated there. It so happens I have the same Tx as yours (go figure).Since it inexplicably does not have a 3-position switch, I don't see how to program all three flight modes on it. I have since purchased a Futaba 8J (awesome radio) so I only use the Spectrum for smaller, park flyer type stuff, which is to say, not very much at all. At any rate, I would suggest you begin flying with beginner mode. Remember, this ain't no simulator. Your first de-brief should be very interesting, indeed. Patience, my friend, patience. Hey, maybe you can program the third mode using a second model memory? Just a thought.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:48 AM
born2build

I was thinking about when we talked about what you should build for your second airplane. As much as I love the SS-60, I really think the Goldberg Tiger 60 may be the better choice. It is a bit easier to build and it does fly great. I don't know if the plans show a tail-dragger version, though. Anyway, pick your poison and dance with the one who brung ya.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Johnnysplits

Damn Richard, you must have a great mind because I too, have a brand new Futaba T8J in a pretty aluminum case sitting here. Yeah, I wound up using Gorilla glue to get the wing together. I have beginner and experienced modes set, so I'll just use those two. What's the worst that could happen? Crash? LOL
Old 09-15-2016, 03:31 PM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by philakapd
Your comments are very funny, thank you for the laugh. I don't care for foam myself, but as previously mentioned it serves as a good learning tool. Saving money while learning to fly R/C can be difficult. I think you are on a good path gaining knowledge prior to flying and listening to fellow hobbyist who have been where you are now. I'm still envious of you and the path you are flying on! Have a great time and make sure a friend gets a few maiden pictures of your aircraft. Foam or not, you will treasure it if you get the bug.

Clear Skies!
-PD
Thank you thank you...I'll be here all week...don't forget to tip your waitress. I'm really not minding the foam plane at the moment simply because it will take a lot to really break it bad, and it's just a little bit of glue away for a repair...unless I lawn dart it and then goodbye motor! I don't know if I mentioned it, but 31 years ago (age 18), I crashed $1000 worth of balsa planes inside of 30 minutes. I wanted to throw up as I threw it all...even the transmitters into a dumpster that was at the end of that huge parking lot at the beach. But, no simulators then, no internet, and I felt like no help. Had no friends into planes. We all just raced 2wd and 4wd modified offroad buggies at a LHS race track. Also had boats. Now this simulator is really a big help. I feel like I can actually fly this bird and bring her home in one piece. I am going to join a club, I'm just not sure as to which one. Cost wise, they are within $25 of each other for yearly dues. They are the same distance from my house. Here are the main differences:

Club 1: Kitchen run by two people on site
Grass runways
90% of the members are at least 20+ years older than me

Club 2: Asphalt runways
Club members range from 8 to older than dirt

Now I'm kind of leaning toward club 2 for the asphalt and to be able to talk shop with people around my age or younger that are into tech. Anything that has to do with electronics that's on the cutting edge, I want. I'm just not into FM radio equipment, nicad batteries, or analog servos. I mean it's 2016 for crap's sake. That stuff seems to blow a lot of guys skirts up, but I just see it as dead and buried...just like b&w tv's, 8 track tapes, cassette tapes, reel to reel tape, corded phones, pintos...you see what I'm sayin'? lol
Old 09-15-2016, 03:56 PM
born2build

Damn Richard, you must have a great mind because I too, have a brand new Futaba T8J in a pretty aluminum case sitting here. Yeah, I wound up using Gorilla glue to get the wing together. I have beginner and experienced modes set, so I'll just use those two. What's the worst that could happen? Crash? LOL
Well, let's see... we both don't like foam, we both have not one but two of the same radios. This is getting a little freaky (queue the Twilight Zone music). I'm not so sure I have a great mind, but I'm reasonably sure it's better than average, at least, judging by some of what I see posted on the internet. It's a good thing no one's around so we can speak freely. Ha! "Beware of the downwind turn!"
Old 09-15-2016, 05:25 PM
Johnnysplits

Well, let's see... we both don't like foam, we both have not one but two of the same radios. This is getting a little freaky (queue the Twilight Zone music). I'm not so sure I have a great mind, but I'm reasonably sure it's better than average, at least, judging by some of what I see posted on the internet. It's a good thing no one's around so we can speak freely. Ha! "Beware of the downwind turn!"
LOL! Have a third radio in mind? I have my eyes on this...http://www.espritmodel.com/graupner-...telemetry.aspx
Old 09-15-2016, 10:14 PM
born2build

Okay, that's a nice rig, no doubt. Quite frankly, I'm done buying radios for the foreseeable future. I already have four rigs in my inventory and that's quite enough, thank you. I have my Hitec Optic 6 FM with a synthesized RF module along with I don't know how many receivers. For nearly ten years it's been absolutely hassle-free. You can have it when you pry it....you know the rest. Then there's the Futaba 4PL for surface stuff. Plus the two you already know about. I have motors, ESC's, engines, building and field equipment, enough kits to keep me off of the bar stools for the rest of my life, so, yeah, I'm good.
Old 09-16-2016, 05:57 AM
Johnnysplits

Sounds like you're all set. I really like that Graupner, and with the Tower member discount, not too expensive. Here's some more twilight zone...I bought the Futaba 4PL when it came out for my boats and crawler truck. Sold the truck with the radio about 8 months ago. Think I'm going to stick with aircraft. IMO, the most respected segment of all radio control. I really should have scouted out a good location for me to fly. I'm ready to go, but can't because I have to place to go. I should get off the damn computer and get in the car!
Old 09-16-2016, 11:37 AM
born2build

Did you mean "no place to go? You're not going to try to fly that thing by yourself, are you?
Old 09-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Johnnysplits

Did you mean "no place to go? You're not going to try to fly that thing by yourself, are you?
Of course. I don't want to join a club with zero flying experience. Been nailing the hell out of it on the sim, thought I'd give it a go. A friend of mine told me about a soccer field not far from me. Thought I would go there tomorrow morning around 7...no wind at that time.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:12 PM
born2build

May I suggest you re-think your strategy? Go back through your thread. The club field is where you go to find an instructor and learn to fly the right way. Unless, of course, you think you already know better.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:24 AM
Johnnysplits

No, I don't think I know better. I really had to fight myself, but decided to just do it the right way, step by step and get my AMA, join the club and get with an instructor. I was about to load up the car this morning and go fly it, but then I thought about the cost of possibly crashing it and I really don't want to spend another dime on foam, so it will stay inside until I can get with an instructor. I'll just keep flying it on the sim for now.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:22 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ............ decided to just do it the right way, step by step and get my AMA, join the club and get with an instructor. ............
Actually, why don't you join AMA then go get an instructor. The lessons will give you a better look at the club in action. Most don't require membership in the club for students. I can't remember any student over the years who joined the club before starting lessons. I've had a number who didn't join the club we used for lessons. In fact, I often take students to "the other clubs in town" for a lesson or two on purpose.

Heck, you might decide to fill up another dumpster and not really need a membership.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:29 AM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by da Rock
Actually, why don't you join AMA then go get an instructor. The lessons will give you a better look at the club in action. Most don't require membership in the club for students. I can't remember any student over the years who joined the club before starting lessons. I've had a number who didn't join the club we used for lessons. In fact, I often take students to "the other clubs in town" for a lesson or two on purpose.

Heck, you might decide to fill up another dumpster and not really need a membership.
Hell no! Not filling up another dumpster this time around. I thought that I had to join a club to get access to their instructors? I really like the one club, so I'll probably join it anyway.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:42 PM
born2build

Whew! You had me going there, for a while. This hobby does require a certain level of discipline in order to be successful. Try this; take your stuff to the field (making sure everything is ready). Leave it in the car. Watch the guys fly for a while. You'll get a sense who knows what they're doing and who doesn't. Just hang out and talk to the guys and see if anyone would be interested in test flying your plane for you. If all goes well, you may even get some sick time right then and there. You don't need membership for someone else to fly your plane. Be nice, be humble, and be polite. First thing Monday morning, call AMA. Have your credit card ready. By the time you hang up the phone, you'll have your new AMA number. Write it down and stick it in your wallet. After that, you're golden! Easy peasy!
Old 09-17-2016, 04:36 PM
Johnnysplits

I was just on the AMA site and it looks like if I wait until Oct.1, I'll get a full year out of the membership.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:38 PM
Johnnysplits

This is the club site...http://trac_tampa.homestead.com/ Now I'm seeing something about having to register with the FAA. What's up with that?
Old 09-17-2016, 06:21 PM
born2build

I was just on the AMA site and it looks like if I wait until Oct.1, I'll get a full year out of the membership.
It was just a week or so ago when I called them and got a full year's membership. In fact, I already have my card with my old AMA number (550442). So, call them Monday and see what happens. At least this way you'll talk to an actual person.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:44 PM
born2build

This is the club site...http://trac_tampa.homestead.com/ Now I'm seeing something about having to register with the FAA. What's up with that?
Oh, yeah. I neglected to mention that. It's $5 for 3 years. You can thank the illegal drone operators for that. You'd think the FAA has bigger fish to fry (keeping 747's from slamming into each other) but there are so many of the things out there now that the FAA felt compelled to step in and do their thing. And AMA members got sucked into the vortex. All we can do for now is pay the five bucks and hope for the best.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.