Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Empty, Flat Desert

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Empty, Flat Desert

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 12:43 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

At my field the older guys usually get there at 8 or 9 in the morning and leave by 11. I like to sleep in on weekends and usually get there when they are all leaving so I usually fly with only one or other flyers. Like today I was there from noon until 3 PM and there was only one other guy there.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:38 AM
jetmech05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's more like I don't want to follow the rules of a club.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:33 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, that's understandable. Some rules are necessary when people fly together and use a leased field, or own a field for which the club might have some liability. Any model airplane/heli/quadcopter can be a danger to people. I have always felt the rules should be at a minimum, but safety is absolutely critical. Sometimes a club gets gets dominated by one or two members who like lawyer-like rules and love to argue about them, It can really put a damper on things. It's important to strike the right balance. It should be mostly a matter of good common sense. Of course, things can happen flying on your own too.

I flew by myself for many years before I joined a club. As a kid, I don't think there was a club in my area, so I was used to doing things on my own. I had considerable free flight experience, so teaching myself RC was easy. I have no regrets about those years of flying on my own, and I have no regrets about joining a club, eventually becoming an officer, starting an annual biplane event, and becoming an instructor. All those experiences have been great. I would say enjoy the hobby and check out whatever clubs are in your area. If you find a good fit you might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Also, congrats for teaching yourself to fly. Not many do that anymore. I found it to be a lot of fun.

Jim
Old 09-05-2016, 08:51 AM
warningshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rgburrill
"I won't join a club because I won't benefit from that nice flying field they have. I'd rather scrounge around for a field and ask stupid questions on rcuniverse.com." Really?
Nice put down.