Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

cross country planes

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

cross country planes

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 06:34 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I hope I didn't come across as rude either. I couldn't resist ribbing Ratshooter a bit when he was giving John a hard time. Both are great guys who have my respect.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:52 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know Jester, I seem to recall someone referring to you as a Jerk a few months ago..... Just sayin

Scott
Old 09-11-2016, 07:45 PM
ratshooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jester no problem. I hate when I don't get the spelling correct. I keep google on a short chain just checking the spelling of words. Trust me, I will not spell beginner wrong ever again.

I was at Thunderbird field today. I was hoping you would be there. I went as soon as the Cowboys lost. I flew with a guy named Andy. A really nice younger man. It was dead calm. I test flew my new Easy Sport 40. The engine is still breaking in so I just cruised around for one tank. Then the sun gave up the ghost.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:13 PM
MARK JR

Hi, guys how much glow fuel do you think I need to fly 30 miles? I'll be flying a sig kadet senior (3 channel) with a Thunder Tiger .42 gp engine

Last edited by MARK JR; 09-12-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:18 PM
MARK JR

How fast can a sig kadet senior fly?
Old 09-12-2016, 04:22 PM
MARK JR

How much time does it take to fly 10 miles with a sig kadet senior?
Old 09-12-2016, 05:15 PM
MARK JR

Hi John, how much glow fuel would it take to fly 30 miles with a sig kadet senior 3 channel with a thunder tiger.42 gp engine?
Old 09-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Mark Jr, those are questions that would be very hard to answer. You're talking about an overloaded airplane with minimal power under unknown conditions. The way I see it:
1) Depends on "W" and the three "H"s. Wind direction and speed will impact your range as will the barometric pressure, humidity and temperature(AKA High/humid/hot). Any full sized aircraft pilot will tell you they don't really like to fly on days where the temperature is up over 80, humidity is high and with high barometric pressure
2) Speed is a ratio of thrust to load(weight and drag). Therefore, the prop diameter and pitch, engine RPM, aircraft weight and drag will all affect the planes top speed.
3) That really depends on what your aircraft is capable of attaining as far as groundspeed rather than airspeed. If you're flying into a headwind, obviously the groundspeed is going to be less than flying with a tail wind
4) Depends on all the above. How far you can fly one day could, very likely, be much greater one day than the next on the same fuel load. A second factor would be the ability of your engine to actually get the plane off the ground or to keep it airborne at less than full throttle

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 09-12-2016 at 10:36 PM.
Old 09-13-2016, 04:39 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MARK JR
Hi John, how much glow fuel would it take to fly 30 miles with a sig kadet senior 3 channel with a thunder tiger.42 gp engine?
Ok a trip of that length is not all that far a reach in perfect conditions and that means relatively mild winds and we have control of the winds. Yes we do since we are not going to take off when the winds are not perfect all along the route. However the real problems are not going to be the performance of the airplane or the weather (remember we can control that no matter how iong it takes). The real limiting factor is going to be the Route. The route is everything. Is it flat endless for miles is it winding roads through hill country. Here is a real killer that nobody thinks about especially if it is open highway, is there an elevation change enroute. This one has bitten me in the butt more than once. There is nothing worse to be flying along watching your airplane puff more smoke and steadily loose power, this even though you took off with that needle as lean as you dare. This is what will happen if you gain elevation as you drive along.

'So Mark a better description of the type of road and route you had in mind would be needed since you do not even list what part of the world you are from.

John
Old 09-13-2016, 06:56 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MARK JR
Hi, guys how much glow fuel do you think I need to fly 30 miles? I'll be flying a sig kadet senior (3 channel) with a Thunder Tiger .42 gp engine
Assuming no headwind and no major altitude change and you are flying at 1/2 throttle a 24 fluid ounces tank will be ample to complete the flight with a reserve.

I made some flights like this many years ago using medical saline bags stuffed into the wings feeding a chicken hopper style header tank. A servo attached to the needle is a worthy addition for really long flights.I am not sure what the current position is on using bag tanks, I know they are not allowed on jets anymore.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:54 AM
MARK JR

Hi John, I'm planing to fly from Greenfield ca to Chualar ca along hwy 101 north its mostly straight. The rc flying field is in Chualar. Do you think a quart of glow fuel would make it
Old 09-13-2016, 07:55 AM
MARK JR

Is it legal ti fly rc planes along hwys???
Old 09-13-2016, 08:02 AM
MARK JR

John if I complete the flight. My next adventure would be from San luis az to to the other side of Yuma az there's a flying club near hwy 95
Old 09-13-2016, 12:00 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming a qt is 32 fluid ounces that should be fine.

Where are you planning to put the tank? Bear in mind that unless it is on or near the CG you will get a significant change in the CG as the fuel burns off. If you put the tank under the wing on a typical trainer you will need a pump.like the Perry VP 30.

As to the legal position in the USA I have no idea. I do know that some years ago there were several competitions for cross country sail planes and the pilots were in cars. I think they were in California but it was many years ago so I am not sure. It may differ state to state.

In the UK as long as you maintained eye contact with the model and stayed out of controlled airspace it was not a problem.

There is a 400 ft above ground rule that we stuck to when flying powered models but generally it was ignored when flying gliders.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:56 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Mark lets taik about routes for just a minute. First off a simple thirty miles like I already posted is not that far of reach and its a simple fuel load with that engine for a senior cadet. One large tank in the nose is all that is needed If and this is a big if the route is appropriate.

I looked over this Greenfield - avular route a bit but that is difficult to do for some not there. You need to drive the route from both directions at least once.

You need to account for all underpasses. You need to account for each set of pwerlines that will need to be overflown and you need to realize the need to avoid flying through any portions of cities as well as anyplace you are likely experience stop and go traffic.

Now let me tell of some practical methods that have worked well here in northern AZ And no I cannot give you any info about California In fact well I was working with the Az fish&game who patrols the Colorado River for a fifty mile trip I only neeed to avoid some marked wildlife backwaters and they strongly suggested we remain on the Az side of the river at all time. That trip was a success and of course we stayed in Arizona's side the whole trip.

I have found for me that it is best to overfly powerline and have never experienced interference on 2.4. Underpass in some situations can be delt with however its best that you plan any trip with no underpasses.

There are three routes that we have done in the past here. There is a route here from our flying field in Kingman az eastward to Seligman AZ and the hiway between them is US Route 66 and the everything in between is Tribal land The highway is patrolled by tribal officers. For those original trips the even provided some escourt.

Just one last point tandem tank set up is the most practical set up Yes you will experience trim changes as the flight progresses but remember there is no fuel sloosing as the tanks them selves act as baffles. Not the land version of my olf pattern plane this is 72 ounces and in four tanks the first down in the nose and the rest across the entire top to all the way about about three inchs behind the trailing edge.

It works, is controllable and is reliable. In the case of the senior cadet there are two 64 ounce tanks on top of each other centered roughly on the CG and another conventional tank in the nose Both of these tandem systems work very reliably they feed from the fartest tank and they perform perfectly will with just muffler pressure there is absolutely no requirement for any kind of pump.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Soylent Green Havasu (2).JPG
Views:	222
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	2181106  
Old 09-14-2016, 06:47 PM
MARK JR

Hi John I'm building a gp piper j3 cub. What engine should I put in? Thanx
Old 09-14-2016, 06:55 PM
MARK JR

Thank you John
Old 09-16-2016, 02:14 PM
SwampFlier-RCU

The Spirit of Butt's Farm Crossed the Atlantic....
https://www.sciencenewsforstudents.o...flies-atlantic
http://www.barnardmicrosystems.com/U...rossing_2.html

So.. with a couple of hops theoretically the US land mass can be crossed...
Regards
Patrick
Old 09-17-2016, 07:53 PM
ratshooter

Swampflier I had never heard of Maynard Hills crossing. That was cool. Here is another plane that made it across the pond. Powered by an Enya 4 stroke running on gas. Why Enya never made a big deal about their engine was a puzzlement to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAI_Aerosonde

I didn't see listed what MH used for an engine except it was a 10cc. Any ideas?

I found this

[TABLE="class: wikitable"]
[TR]
[TD]O.S. Engines FS-61 0.61 cubic inch (10cc) four-stroke, CH Ignition CDI spark ignition system, carburetor from a "PET" O.S. 0.10 two-stroke engine[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Engine modifications

Smaller valves in engine, custom carburetor mounted remotely, triple fuel filtration down to 1 micron, pressurized fuel tank using crankcase pressure, custom power takeoff to run electronics

Last edited by ratshooter; 09-17-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 08:51 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Why does he call them "Cadets"?
Old 09-19-2016, 07:34 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Nied
Why does he call them "Cadets"?

Don't go there
Old 09-19-2016, 07:40 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Why? They are not "cadets", they're "Kadets". Why would you knowingly change the name and incorrectly call it some else?

Last edited by Tom Nied; 09-19-2016 at 07:43 PM.