Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New Transmitter recomendation

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New Transmitter recomendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 12:52 PM
gratter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too just got back into flying after a 25 year hiatus and had to replace my gear although it was gold stickered (remember that). I was a little overwelmed by all the new and completly different radios so I went with a brand I knew and trusted, Futaba. Just their 6 channel which is enough for me being a dedicated sunday flier. But I did not research the control functions enough and did not forsee my growing interest in electric sailplanes. So now I wish I had spent a little more and bought some thing I could have grown into more.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:21 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I was in that same boat jumping onto it. My first radio(which I still have) is a Futaba FP-T4NL Conquest. It is a 4 channel 72Mhz AM radio. Somewhere I also have the RX and three servos that it came with. When I got back into it, I bought an RTF Eflite T-34 that came with a 6 channel Spectrum DX6i. I didn't care too much for the radio and bought the Futaba 8FGS. Got rid of the Spectrum, though I do still have the DX8 and the JR 12X, and when trying to decide how best to use the Futaba with the JR as a training radio I decided instead to get another Futaba and got the 14 SG. Now I have two really good radios that I can trust.

I did a search for used 8FG and none can be found, but I suggest you do a search to see if you can find a used one and maybe save a few hundred. You wont regret getting the 8FG.
Old 09-30-2016, 06:43 AM
SwampFlier-RCU

Or you won't regret the Hitec Aurora 9x either, it's so simle to program!!
Regards
Patrick
Old 09-30-2016, 10:53 AM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by gratter
I too just got back into flying after a 25 year hiatus and had to replace my gear although it was gold stickered (remember that). I was a little overwelmed by all the new and completly different radios so I went with a brand I knew and trusted, Futaba. Just their 6 channel which is enough for me being a dedicated sunday flier. But I did not research the control functions enough and did not forsee my growing interest in electric sailplanes. So now I wish I had spent a little more and bought some thing I could have grown into more.
A lot has changed in 25 years. The younger crowd have proved in volume and their budget, what the cheaper radios can do for under $180. Taranis really blows away the telemetry, setup, and functionality of the Futaba, JR, Hitec name brands.
Every situation one encounters is different, some stay in one facet of the hobby, others interests change, some want a $350 radio for familiarity, others stay behind in 72 Mhz for the low cost, and also familiarity. I haven't seen anything out yet that my 16 year old can't show me how to use.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:00 PM
gratter

For me I never thought I would get into electric. Not very good in my day. So now it is a viable option but I fly mode 3 using the right hand throttle stick as my spoilers control. Thus my delema. Now need a adjustable throttle control and a spoiler control. And I have been thinking about a full house plane which I also never thought I would do.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:21 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Most of the mid grade and up radios can be switched to mode 3. You have to take the case off and switch some things around, but it's pretty easy to do.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:44 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gratter
For me I never thought I would get into electric. Not very good in my day. So now it is a viable option but I fly mode 3 using the right hand throttle stick as my spoilers control. Thus my delema. Now need a adjustable throttle control and a spoiler control. And I have been thinking about a full house plane which I also never thought I would do.
You might like the Tactic850, you can use the right hand slider for spoilers (adjustable for any degree of employment) and still use the left stick for throttle control and still have rudder, elevator and aileron control available. The Tactic is an excellent choice if all you need is 8 channels.