Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Been away from flying for a couple of years, trying to get back

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Been away from flying for a couple of years, trying to get back

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 05:06 AM
2Slick4U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been away from flying for a couple of years, trying to get back

Hello all. A career change has kept me away from flying for a couple of years. More years on full scale planes. So, in light of that. Let me say I had a helper when I first started and he died. So the dumb questions will have to be re asked.

I just built a new foamy with parts from another foamy that was programed in my DX7. May not have been wise but I decided to use the same radio program for this new plane. I have everything working except the ailerons servos. When I try to do the travel thing adjustment both of them won't go down aileron. I can go to the correct screen and change the number but the servo will not move. The up aileron will adjust fine. It is both servos, and I even tried another servo thinking that both servos are bad on same direction at the same time. But the other servo does the same thing, it only adjust in one direction. My thinking is they all three are probably not broken on the same issue at the same time, not sure though.

I called horizon and the guy told me how to adjust them and would not really go any further. He was kind of uninterested in helping any further than that. Seems like he just read the five or so sentences in the book over and over to me. I still don't understand.

Are there other settings in the radio that could effect the travel adjust? He said I could send it all in and they would check it. But I suspect that they would just move a servo and say all is well. I am hoping that the radio is not bad as I have other planes and a heli that I fly with the same radio and they work.

I have other questions too. How do you make the servo go to center? Do you physically move it to center before you install it and it stays there? On my other planes that I was helped with they all move when I turn it on so moving them would not work in that case.

I have other questions but don't want to have them all in the same email as to look too stupid.

Thanks David
Old 10-13-2016, 06:56 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really need someone who knows his way around that specific Tx but while waiting for the expert to appear try this.

I suspect that the issue is in the way you have the ailerons set up on the tx. BUT start by plugging one of the aileron servos into the elevator socket on the rx, operate the elevator on the tx and check for normal aileron movement.

Assuming it moves normally plug it back in to the aileron socket..

Now look to see how the tx is configured to have two servos operated as one. This might include flaperons. If it does deselect this and look for other options. This may require you to RTFM.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:29 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Slick4U
. .
I have other questions too. How do you make the servo go to center? Do you physically move it to center before you install it and it stays there? On my other planes that I was helped with they all move when I turn it on so moving them would not work in that case..

Thanks David
David servos can be moved by hand when they are receiving no power so when you turn your system on they will often glitch slightly and move to the neutral point that the tx is sending them.

To set up a new servo installation: Remove the servo output arm from the spline shaft then install the servo--- Set your Tx's manual trims to neutral--- Set the Tx's sub trims to neutral or zero (I cannot be more specific on your radio because I stick with Hitec and Futaba)--- Power up the system--- The servo is now at neutral, install the servo output arm back on the spline shaft perpendicular to the to the pushrod (not necessarily aligned with the servo case.

Your servos will now return to the same place every time you power up and you can now continue with the pushrod fabrication portion of the installation.

The above procedure can also be done with a simple device called a servo driver that is plugged directly to the servo and it will positon the servo to neutral for you (plus a couple of other handy features) so there is no need to power up the entire radio system when installing sevos and fabricating pushrods.

John

Oh by the way, welcome to RCU

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 10-13-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:41 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd start by clearing the old program and starting over. It sounds like you're setting up a simple 4 channel plane so it won't take long anyway. Start by getting the servo horn on in the right place the way JohnBuckner described, then set your subtrims and endpoints as needed. You really shouldn't need much subtrim if you do step 1 right, but sometimes things will wind up a bit off even if you try really hard to get it right. If you still can't get any down travel in your ailerons, I'd suspect a bad gimbal in your transmitter.