Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Rank Beginner

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Rank Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 12:47 PM
slipshift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rank Beginner

So far I have had only a few flights but never got a chance to land, Anyway, I was told to use the elevator stick in the same direction of the aileron stick when making banking turns. Somehow this doesn't seem right. Is this the way others do it?

Jim
Old 10-24-2016, 01:27 PM
AllModesR/C

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Are you talking about making coordinated turns with the rudder or compensating for the slight loss of lift when the aircraft enters into a bank?
Old 10-24-2016, 02:19 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Pulling up elevator when making a banking turn works like a rudder.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:05 PM
slipshift

I spent some time on the computer flight simulator. On a banking turn I would use slight up elevator to maintain altitude. It just seems like something like left aileron and left elevator would send the plane spinning to the ground.

Jim
Old 10-24-2016, 03:52 PM
bikerbc

In a normal turn the ailerons are used briefly to bank your plane then once the plane is in a bank you use up elevator to maintain altitude . Most trainers have inherent stability which will try to level your plane from its bank so you will need to use the ailerons to keep it in its bank . When you are finished your turn you use opposite aileron to return to level flight . Not all planes fly the same as trainers , more advanced planes won't return to level flight when you let go of the sticks . Elevator has only up and down ,no left and right . Ailerons and rudder have left and right .
Old 10-24-2016, 05:02 PM
slipshift

Thanks for all the help. My basic question was should I use the rudder on a banking turn? Like right bank, right rudder or left bank, left rudder.

Jim
Old 10-24-2016, 05:02 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slipshift
I spent some time on the computer flight simulator. On a banking turn I would use slight up elevator to maintain altitude. It just seems like something like left aileron and left elevator would send the plane spinning to the ground.

Jim
Not wanting to be a smart~~ but HOW do you make a " LEFT ELEVATOR " ?? ENJOY !!! RED
Old 10-24-2016, 05:18 PM
slipshift

Originally Posted by red head
Not wanting to be a smart~~ but HOW do you make a " LEFT ELEVATOR " ?? ENJOY !!! RED
Oops, meant left rudder.

Jim
Old 10-25-2016, 04:49 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It depends on the model how it's rudder helps or hurts the turn. So the advice you've gotten is like most advice you will get over time. Sometimes it suits, sometimes it doesn't. Most times, the advice will be way too short and simple.

One bit of advice about using the rudder. Learn to use it early on and you'll wind up being a lot better flyer. It's the best and safest way to correct heading on final approach.

When used in normal flight in a turn, or to correct on final, very little is needed.

Lots of modelers scoff at ever needing to use rudder. Their flying usually shows how useful it would be.
Old 10-25-2016, 05:31 AM
bikerbc

Some planes like the piper Cub often need rudder to help coordinate turns , some planes don't need as much rudder input but as has been pointed out it is best to learn how to use your rudder early , it will make you a better pilot . Play with it , do stall turns , see what happens when you add a little in a turn . If your tail looks like its dragging , you can pick it back up into line . Coordinated flight is a combination of all your controls .
Old 10-25-2016, 07:58 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
If you have a only rudder and elevator to control your plane ...you use rudder and then elevator when turning!
If you have aileron,rudder and elevator (like on most trainers and most other airplanes) you use aileron to bank the plane and elevator to turn it. Sooo... when you are about to turn an R/C plane you apply some aileron stick...and then some elevator. The more you bank (use aileron) the more elevator stick you have to apply.

There are some planes that require rudder and ailerons when turning, the bigger they are the more rudder is needed, like big high winged planes like the Piper CUB in 2,5-4,0 m span (not smaller ones though ) but all other R/C planes , scale, low winged warbirds, pattern planes and pylon racers all only need ailerons and elevator to turn.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:09 AM
bikerbc

If you remember that there are three axis to control Roll Aileron , Pitch Elevator , and Yaw Rudder . Its nice to have control over all three . jaka is rite that a pattern plane in a normal fast turn won't require any rudder , but a stall turn might require all your rudder , . At an airshow if you have ever seen anybody like Paddy Wagstaff flying her Edge she is using all her rudder to make many of her turns . You have another whole axis of control when you learn good use of your rudder . Have fun and be safe
Old 10-25-2016, 02:33 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

The best advice I can give to a rank beginner is: take a shower.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:14 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes, use the rudder to coordinate your turns. Most trainers have some adverse yaw (actually most planes in general do) which means the nose will point away from the direction of the turn while you are applying aileron. You can use aileron differential to get rid of a lot of that, but you still need rudder to make the turn smooth and coordinated. Think of the aileron as the coarse control for turning- it gets you going in the right direction. And think of the rudder as the fine control- it lets you adjust how tight the turn is and balance the forces acting on the plane. The rudder should be your primary directional control, especially for adjusting your heading. Start using it as early as possible and you will save yourself a lot of headaches.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Johnnysplits

Originally Posted by slipshift
So far I have had only a few flights but never got a chance to land
Did your planes fly away? lol
Old 10-29-2016, 11:06 AM
slipshift

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
Did your planes fly away? lol
They tried to, but luckily(?) the baseball field I have been flying from is surrounded by trees.

Jim
Old 10-29-2016, 02:23 PM
Johnnysplits

I was being funny. How do you fly and not land?
Old 10-29-2016, 04:39 PM
slipshift

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
I was being funny. How do you fly and not land?
Gravity

Jim
Old 10-30-2016, 04:21 AM
Johnnysplits

Yeah that'll do it.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:26 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Gravity sucks when it unexpectedly grabs your plane.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:39 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The whole point is to fly in the middle of the air. The ground, trees, and outer space exist on the edges. Stay away from the edges as much as possible.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:30 AM
Johnnysplits

Fly straight. When something gets in your way, turn.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:48 AM
600Bob

Every turn I make with all my planes involves use of aileron, rudder and elevator at the same time to varying degrees.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:33 PM
slipshift

Thanks guys, I'll try to use all this good info on my next flight. Right now I'm just waiting for a calm day.

Jim
Old 11-01-2016, 01:09 PM
Johnnysplits

Nooo! Get in the wind! It's a great tool to learn how to fly in a short period of time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.